SQ help

Comments

• dolfan87
    dolfan87 Posts: 114
    edited January 2007
    These are a bit older shots, but I have been so busy with the audio install, that I haven't really got the car out of the garage since I took these. The car itself is 99% finished.

It's a stroked 351W, AFR aluminum heads, solid roller cam, (as you said) blah blah blah.

Engine3.jpg

We built the suspension front and rear. Ignore the lower torque bar. It was replaced with a z link and panhard rod.

RearSide11-2002.jpg

I built the guage pod out of fiberglass. That was my very first ever experience with glass, and I pretty much hated it. :D

Dash3.jpg

The outside...

Stangside.jpg

Here is what it looked like 6 years ago when I rescued it from my friends backyard.

mymach-old.jpg

That's all I got loaded up in Photobucket for now.
    1970 Mach 1: ///ALPINE DVA 9860 H.U and H701 processor. Image Dynamics CSX 52 components, and IDQ D4 Sub. Polk/Momo 400.4 and 500.1 amps.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2007
    I was thinking about building a poked and stroked 351w (426) myself with world cast iron heads. I wanted big torque instead of the high rpm screamer. I'd like to see the new suspension one day. I'm contemplating ditching the rear leafs, and doing a coil/air piston setup all around. I have put a lot of thought into the design (valving/reservoir capacity). It would be real nice to adjust the ride height and spring rate on the fly from highway low to crossing a swamp high.

Man do I love that car of yours... looks real sharp.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dolfan87
    edited February 2007
    I need your guys' opinion. I mounted the sub, and just loved the clean no grill look.

DSC00772.jpg

But then my wife and my brother both think that the grill on looks better and flows with the amps.

DSC00774.jpg

Which do you guys like better?
    1970 Mach 1: ///ALPINE DVA 9860 H.U and H701 processor. Image Dynamics CSX 52 components, and IDQ D4 Sub. Polk/Momo 400.4 and 500.1 amps.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    I personally dont like a polk audio grill on a sub thats not polk audio...especially when it says it...

this is my all time favorite grill for any sub
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-443
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2007
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    I personally dont like a polk audio grill on a sub thats not polk audio...especially when it says it...

-Cody

That is the one I have on my sub. I usually leave them off, but on this install the sub is in the middle of the back part of the trunk, so I wanted a little bit of protection from the kids' backpacks and other stuff.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited February 2007
    While that grill from Parts Express looks good and will perform the function, another option would be to spray the Momo grill matching basecoat/clearcoat blue to match the exterior color of the 'stang- you'd lose the Polk logo and integrate the whole works in the process.

Beautiful car by the way, and the install looks great too.
  • dolfan87
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:

-Cody

I was/am painting the grill so it says nothing, but was planning on re-painting it silver. I really want an SR sub, but the 500.1 really isn't enough power, and I don't have the cash left.

Do like that grill you posted though.

Honestly the car doesn't NEED a grill. There will never be anything in the trunk, as it is a show car/ special day cruiser.

It's also going to take some fab work to even mount the thing because it is designed to mount directly to the sub, and mine is recessed leaving a gap. I dunno boys, Cody's grill might be the answer. Quicky install if I ever DO have something back there, and it flows.
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    You should take all the covers off your amps and the grill and paint them the color of the car. That would be sweet:D
    -Cody
  • dolfan87
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    You should take all the covers off your amps and the grill and paint them the color of the car. That would be sweet:D
    -Cody

Ok, grilling it.

There is a bunch of silver in the car (everything that WAS chrome on the car, has been painted or powdercoated silver or black) so the silver amps and grill go with that.

Nothing sexy got done today. I did some final prep work to the box, Dynomatted the glass portions inside the enclosure, wired up the external connector, filled it with fiberfill, and bolted it into the car.

I installed the sub, and mounted the cover.

I have NO idea if the Dynomat will really do any good, but I had a little bit hanging around, and tossed it in there.

DSC00775.jpg

Fiberfilled the crap out of it.

DSC00776.jpg

Installed. I have to paint the grill, and then figure out how to affix it. With the cover on there, it sits off the sub way to much.

DSC00780.jpg

Tomorrow I won't get anything done. I am in a band, and we have rehearsal tomorrow at 3...lost day. :rolleyes:
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    I think I'd like it more without the grill....that looks pretty damn clean right there. That or the black one from partsexpress...they have a chrome one in the same style if you think thatll look better
    -Cody
  • dolfan87
    edited February 2007
    I know, I am with you Cody...I like the clean.

Let's finish the rest of the install and then see how we all feel. LOL :D

Gram
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    on second thought, you should just give all that stuff away, after all, its just adding weight to your car, Ill PM you my shipping address if you like :D
    -Cody
  • dolfan87
    edited February 2007
    Why stop there? Send the hauler on over and you can just take the whole car! ;)
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    b/c its a ford! ;)
    -Cody
  • ben62670
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    b/c its a ford! ;)
    -Cody

Don't be starting trouble this is a nice thread!!!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    oops
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    ben62670 wrote:
    Don't be starting trouble this is a nice thread!!!
    who me?970901.jpg
    -Cody
  • dolfan87
    edited February 2007
    LOL...my poor Ford. Hey at least it's not a Civic. :D

I am going to be kinda sad when I finish the install...it's been a lot of fun so far. Of course I still have the kick pods, center console, and possibly (gulp) a video screen.

Maybe by the time that's all done I will be sick of it. ;)
  • vawakemonster
    vawakemonster Posts: 131
    edited February 2007
    but if you get sick of CA the next day, naw it was nothing. theres no greater feeling then bulding something with your hands and then hearing percise sound come out of all your hard work.
    Dodge Dakota
    HU: Pioneer
    Amp: Profile AP600 & Phoenix gold r2.5:2
    Speakers: Boston SX 6.5 components
    Subwoofer: polk mm2104
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2007
    dolfan87 wrote:
    LOL...my poor Ford. Hey at least it's not a Civic. :D

Watch it, buddy.
  • dolfan87
    edited February 2007
    Josh wrote:
    Watch it, buddy.

I can tell Josh owns a Civic...lol.

I personally don't have anything against them, save for the fact that 90% of the kids around here toss a carbon fiber hood, wing, and some nitrous on them, and think they are "To Fast and To Furious."

Mostly I wrote that because Cody wrote this in the Installation Showcase forum:
    exalted512 wrote:
    i dont think they have any GMC vehicles either
    all i see is this ford escape and civic crap...i mean cars
    the WRXs are sweet though!
    -Cody

So it was a quip back at him.

G
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2007
    I used to. Now I have a Ram.
  • dolfan87
    edited February 2007
    Josh wrote:

That is a beautiful car. VERY nice!
  • ben62670
    edited February 2007
    Wana trade jobs Josh
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    Josh wrote:

Cause it takes a real man to drive a Ram. (it also takes a real man to ask his daddy to co-sign so he can KEEP his Ram :o )

dolfan - Dude, my hats off to ya. You are one talented individual. That is the best non-professional, shadetree installs Ive seen posted on here. The glass work on the box was as good as any shop wouldve done for $500+.

Hell, all the work youve done on that car is superb.

You shouldnt be asking us for advice, we should be asking you!

But since you did ask, I like it better without the grill. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dolfan87
    edited February 2007
    MacLeod wrote:
    Cause it takes a real man to drive a Ram. (it also takes a real man to ask his daddy to co-sign so he can KEEP his Ram :o )

dolfan - Dude, my hats off to ya. You are one talented individual. That is the best non-professional, shadetree installs Ive seen posted on here. The glass work on the box was as good as any shop wouldve done for $500+.

Hell, all the work youve done on that car is superb.

You shouldnt be asking us for advice, we should be asking you!

But since you did ask, I like it better without the grill. ;)

Mac, seriously, thank you.

Thing is, the advice I have received on here has been a big help to me. You personally convinced me to go the Alpine with processor route (which by the way is today's project, getting the 701 installed on the passenger side of the trunk) and I also have a DVA unit because of you.

Only problem now is, I am starting to think about where I could put a screen. lol

Hopefully I can add to the community just as much as you guys have given me.

Gram
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    Since its going to be a show car I supppose a screen or 2 isnt out of place. Still Im just against video in cars. Just seems wrong to me but then Im kind of a purist.

I would rather see a nice system dedicated to the ultimate reproduction of good old fashioned 2 channel audio.

But, like I said, a show car need to get attention and tv screens do that.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2007
    Wait till you have little ones. The monitors come in very handy on those nice 500 mile trips we take from San Diego to the San Francisco Bay Area ;).
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin