Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2006
    :D You are right I have no idea.:eek: I just know that most manufacturers talk about watts not current. I just know that both have something to do with POWER and from my experience & others more seems to be better.

I gave my brother my 50wpc Rotel to run his LSI 7's they sounded great. I then gave him my 205wpc Parasound, and his direct quote to me was...
    "There is MORE of everything." This is exactly what I found out when I upgraded to more power. Since he is a musician I trust his ears.

I don't really care about the specs since most of it is meaningless to me. I don't care about what can be scientifically proven or turning the joy of listening to music into a science project since that is what the audiophiles seem to fall back on whenever someone like me says that 200wpc should be the minimum for any well made speaker. I just care about what makes my system sound the best it can, and so far that has been to add a big 205 & 405 wpc amplifier to my system.:D

Oh yeah, Merry Christmas Sami!:D
    Sami wrote:
    Those who don't know what current is most likely don't have an idea what watt is either. :)
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2006
    As a relative newcomer and still outsider I will say there isn't anything wrong at ClubPolk.Compared to some of the stuff that goes on at some other forums I visit this one is very civil with a friendly feel to it.
    There are some very knowledgeable folks here that are more than willing to help others whether its how to get the most out of an analog 2 chan setup or advice on a DAC or HT or even a prayer request.
    Does one need 200watts?That depends on the sensitivity of the speakers the size and whether the room is acoustically live or dead etc.It is always nice to have lots of extra power in reserve but in some setups less may be enough.

Merry Christmas everybody.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited December 2006
    GV#27 wrote:
    Does one need 200watts?That depends on the sensitivity of the speakers the size and whether the room is acoustically live or dead etc.

Absolutely. The notion that everyone requires precisely no less than 200 watts of amplification is nonsensical. The true limit is set at 1000 watts, as 999 watts will not deliver the full measure. There are no variables to support deviation from this limit and law.

But seriously, the notion of a static wattage prerequisite is quite silly given the preponderance of unknown factors possible. There are amps that will sound poor with your existing equipment and room, and there are amps that will sound excellent with you existing equipment and room. To wit: The ones that sounds excellent shall possess precisely 200 watts, and the ones that sound poor will possess 199 or less. ;>}

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited December 2006
    That does it..I'm selling my Parasound Halo A23 125wpc@8ohms for a more powerful amp!:D
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2006
    First off i'm the sarcastic thread killer.:D
    My spelling sucks.
    Today i'm trying to get my moneys worth from my HD Sunday Ticket.;)
    After many years in this hobbie running 6 channels of 250watts of SS high current just plain kicks A$$.
    Love this forum but i like to stay on the side lines and be entertained.
    My one gripe, newbies just straight out giving bad advise. From just a few pieces of information they have acumulated.

Merry Christmas my fellow Polkies!!!!!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2006
    Roy Munson wrote:
    That does it..I'm selling my Parasound Halo A23 125wpc@8ohms for a more powerful amp!:D

No buy another and bridge them both for 400w each. That's what I did.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2006
    Why you now have two rafts in the pool to hold in place??

For sand, N-channel Mosfet baby. Sand bridges wash away.

RT1
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2006
    Generally, the advice people get here is very, very good. That's why most of us stay. If we wanted crappy advice, we'd go to some other audio forums (I won't mention any names). Hell, some forums don't even understand the value of separate amplification, so we are very fortunate here.

How often do we hear complaints about the advice people get? And if someone gives bad advice, the old heads won't hesitate to pounce on that forum member, so we have a self-policing system. The only problem I have is that, over the years, we have probably contributed to ruining the marriages of a few overzealous newbies and forced them to max out their credit cards. They're homeless now, but they still got golden ears.

Of course, every now and then to liven things up, someone will start a **** thread like this one so we don't get too bored. ;)
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • disneyjoe7
    edited December 2006
    N channel, P channel who cares they all suck ;)

BTW what's a "Sand" amp?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited December 2006
    Just that I don't come off a complete idiot, Sand as in Silicon?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited December 2006
    Ok so if Sand is Silicon as in Transistors, I hate to bring this up Mosfet are also made from Silicon.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• cfrizz
    edited December 2006
    Great sensible post Early.

DJ, you are on the verge of giving me a headache.:eek: :p:D

Well I'm turning in fellas.

I want to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas! Stay safe & enjoy whatever goodies Santa brings you!:)

Night,
    Cathy
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2006
    I don't have anything to add, really. Just want to wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Jason
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2006
    Why has nobody responded to this thread? Hmmm, maybe my ignore list it getting too big.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2006
    This forum is my Mos Eisley Cantina. Lots of strange characters and plenty of dicey gossip. But, if you don't pick a fight (and get your arm whacked off), you can learn a lot.

BTW Ted, Class D rules! I put all my tubes on the split rail fence in the back yard and shot them with my BB gun.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited December 2006
    cfrizz wrote:
    BBL...who me? Wwhaat did I do?:eek: Besides you should know better than to drink anything while reading this board. It's an occupational hazard!:D

I've spit all over my keyboard on several occasions because of your posts.
    However, I'm referring to the prostrate self-exam that you made me take a while back. :eek:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=518084&highlight=keyboard#post518084

......you know, my kids are starting to complain. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, everybody have a Merry Christmas ! :)

I had to work last night and have to work today. I plan on doing today what I did last night, though: Finish reading "Cell", by Stephen King.
    Sal Palooza
  • cfrizz
    edited December 2006
    OMG! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!:D :D:D:D:D:D:D

I forgot all about that little chat. ROFLMAO!! I told you to let your MD replace it for you when you go for a checkup. Obviously you haven't done so yet!:mad:

Get moving, those kids need their Dad around & healthy to teach them how to put together a rockin audio system that includes a 200wpc amp!;) :rolleyes: :p:D

I'm sorry you have to work today BBL, you should be home with your kids. But I hope you have a good Christmas all the same.:)

Take care,
    Cathy

I've spit all over my keyboard on several occasions because of your posts.
    However, I'm referring to the prostrate self-exam that you made me take a while back. :eek:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=518084&highlight=keyboard#post518084

......you know, my kids are starting to complain. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, everybody have a Merry Christmas ! :)

I had to work last night and have to work today. I plan on doing today what I did last night, though: Finish reading "Cell", by Stephen King.
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited December 2006
    I thought I would jump in here to wish everyone a Merry Christmas... and also to find out if Polkthug can see this post just in case he forgot to add me to his ignore list.

:D
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    Hope you guys and gals had a very berry Merry Christmas and that fact that I sincerely mean that is testament enough to how much I love this forum.

I even like the Spammers because they reap some of the best zingers out of the lot of us.

25 wpc is working gloriously for me and the speaks ain't sensitive (or even encouraging)
    ... and I do believe I absorb more Truth than BS when wading these waters.

Jason
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited December 2006
    This forum really hasn't changed at all.Most of the a-holes move on to intimitate others on other boards.Some move on because they have outgrown this board.But the Polk community is still here as is some great new members.Banter,babble,bull sh..,bad advise,good advice,humor,all part of any board.Except most of us so to speak,grew up here.It's like home,Doro.So you may feel like you need a break,thats cool,you will always know where home is.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    What's wrong with this forum? Nothing really. It's not the largest internet forum. Not the smallest. Not the most active. Not the worst. Not the best. It is merely an internet forum...no more...no less.

It is the sum total of the people who participate.

And that folks, is what IS special here at Club Polk. There are people I consider friends that were it not for this forum, I would have never met. Many of these people would be an asset to any forum they participate in (and probably are). It just so happens they are here and for whatever reason there has been a bond generated via this forum with events like the Polkfests. I guess THIS is what is right with Club Polk.

I will add that the level of participation and support (and patience) by the management of Polk Audio is a step above all of the other product sponsored forums I am aware of. Kudos to Polk Audio!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas....I know I did.

I'm getting ready to party like it's 1999....

Here's to a HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • bert26
    bert26 Posts: 320
    edited December 2006
    I'm not so sure there's anything wrong with the forum. I sincerly enjoy coming here and learning. Not to mention the entertainment value. I love Doro's sardonic humor, Russ' off the wall comments, Mr. Grand's esteemed views on Rum, BDT's hospitality, Jesse's grumpiness (it's all an act!) and RT's joviality. I met several great people either on line or virtually, conducted business with people that I have never "spoken" to, and come to be exposed to a wealth of others that I other wise would have never known.

My point is that this is a great place to hang out. I've been on the boards for just about 2 years now, and with just over 200 posts that's about all I do, hang out. There have been dark days at work and in life that this place has pulled my **** up by the boot straps - and for that I am thankful. That being said, I am not going to add a comment to every thread unless I have something salient to add. I can send my prayers along without a comment stating I did, I generally won't wish someone a happy birthday unless I have met them, and I won't comment on something I really don't have personal experinece with.

I STILL don't understand why all watts are not created equal (8 watts of tube is enough to drive something that it would take 100 watts of sand to drive?) so I am not going to get into that except to say - I have driven SDA's successfully in small rooms with 100 watts just fine. In my current room, I feel I need >140 watts of sand. The other thing is, I just don't have the depth and breadth of knowledge that some of the old timers do. I simply have not heard enough varied gear to become a mavin here (yet).

Anyway - I am going to keep coming back, hanging out and contributing where I deem appropriate. And if any of yous don't like it, yous can take it up wit Antny (can't wait to see ya a PFest 2007)!

My best wishes to all for a stellar New Year.

Cheers!
    Chris
    HT Rig
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl - Anthem 2 SE
    Polk CSi5 - Adcom 555
    Polk Monitor 30 - HK DPR1005
    SVS PB12 ISD/2
    Denon DCD-1500II
    Sony SXRD 60"
    ShengYa CS-10

Basement Rig
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Carver 1.5t
    Carver C2
    Technics SLD202
    Some Other Sony DVD/CDP
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2006
    bert26 wrote:
    And if any of yous don't like it, yous can take it up wit Antny (can't wait to see ya a PFest 2007)!

My best wishes to all for a stellar New Year.

Cheers!
    Chris

And you know how I feel:

Joke 'em if they can't take a F#CK:D

Happy New year, you bunch of FREAKS:eek:
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2006
    Chuck you Farley.

Empty out your message thing Antny.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited December 2006
    Damn Chris.....shhhhhhhhh you're gonna ruin my persona. :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2006
    Merry Christmas ya grumpy old **** !!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited December 2006
    LOL...takes one to know one and back at ya.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2006
    :d ...

should have got a new mouse for Christmas...this one sucks..!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• kab
    kab Posts: 275
    edited December 2006
    For what it's worth, here's some advice from the original lurker.

Don't spend too much time looking for what's wrong with CP. Instead, give yourselves a pat on the back for what's right. Look around...you've created something rare and special here. Yes, there are plenty of forums and online communities. And there may be better forums for audio advice. But I challenge you to find one that has more humanity, humor and sense of family.

In my humble opinion, the two best things (and most important) things I've ever done here at Polk were: 1) Turning on this bulletin board, and 2) Bringing Paul (PolkPaul) into the marketing department.

A belated Merry Christmas to you all. And may next year be one to remember!

Al