Heartbroken & Devastated

hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
I posted in another thread that one of my crates of LPs had been destroyed by water/mold damage which at the time really upset me but I accepted the situation and moved on, happy to have all the rest of the LPs in good condition.

I finally was able to get all of my LP crates out of storage and was going through each one yesterday to make sure all was well with them.

ALL BUT A DOZEN OR SO HAVE BEEN DAMAGED BY WATER/MOLD. . . I can't believe it!!! I am HEARTBROKEN & DEVASTATED!!!

I have LPs that would blow your mind. One of the damaged LPs was a special virgin vinyl half-speed mastered limited pressing "Dark Side of the Moon" but that is but a small tip of the iceberg. I had LPs that were extremely rare going from the rock, jazz, classical, pop, country, blue-grass, female vocal, male vocal, pipe organ, opera, hell I even had the Great Caruso on a mono LP, etc, etc, etc, genres.

I am sick over this. Eff the money factor, they just simply can't be replaced. I purchased a VPI 16.5 record cleaning system with all kinds of treatment chemicals. I really, really love LPS and have a pretty decent turntable/tonearm/cartridge combo and have been so thrilled that by the end of this month I was going to be listening to these great recording again. Hell I even have an old Shure V15 type V test record circa 1984. . .I feel like I am going to vomit.

Mold on vinyl is insidious like cancer is to a vital organ. It just isn't on the record it become part of the vinyl.

This is the closest I've been to tears since my mom passed away almost three years ago.

I was toting those lps around with me for over 20 years paying very special attention to the environment they were kept in, mostly in my bedroom. This one time, I had to move them into what I thought was a decent environment. I asked the person who's place they've been stored in about a flood or anything out of the ordinary and he said he knew they got wet but not like the other crate so he didn't think anything of it. I asked him how long ago this occured and he said around September. . . ughhhhhhh!!! I've actually be there to check the LPs since then. They hadn't been moved and all seemed okay. Had I known that they got wet I could have saved them all.

I can't blame him. It is my fault for not keeping a closer eye on them like I usually do.

A lot of things have been going wrong with my move into my new home . . . I just keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep smiling but this, this just shoved a knife through my heart.

If anyone knows any record restoring tricks, tips, or companies that do such work I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Joe
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    Oh wow Joe.... this is absolute garbage. Just in time for Christmas, eh? Hang in there and have fun going after some new/old vinyl.

And more importantly, good luck in salvaging what you can.

Merry Christmas
    Jason
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,705
    edited December 2006
    I feel for ya man. I'm pretty fond of my vinyl collection too, 700+ albums, most of which were carfully sorted over and hand picked from used bins. Most have been carefully wet cleaned and put in new sleeves. I've only held on to them for about 9 months, but I would also be very upset if I was facing a total loss.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited December 2006
    That sucks Joe. I know from the way you always talked about it, your record collection was priceless. Try to save what you can. Maybe there is a special cleaner/restorer that can save some of the vinyl?
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited December 2006
    Also, the records you saved need to be cleaned because the mold spores will stilll grow on the good/new records and ruin them too. check out link below.

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/1995/1092.html
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2006
    Sorry to hear Joe; I really hope you can save them. If you can't, then you deserve a special gift; go buy some gear :)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    Joe, All is not lost...even though you may be feeling so right now. Since the mold and mildew is only a couple of months old, chances are there is little permanent damage to the vinyl. The covers and sleves may be gone but the vinyl WILL clean up. Many of the commercial vinyl LP cleaning solutions have mold an mildew treatments:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Buggtussel-Vinyl-Zyme-Extra-Strength-8-oz-?sc=2&category=1178

http://www.discdoc.com/

It will take time but you can problably save most if not all of them.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • up2youjoe
    up2youjoe Posts: 114
    edited December 2006
    What's the difference between comedy and tragedy?

Time.

You have a new home, a wife and child who you love and who love you.

You lost a few records.....Oh well. Perspective my man!!!!!

I never saw a hearse with a trailer attached to it. Let it go.

Wait, did you say Dark side of the Moon got ruined?????

Son of a B**ch.

Download the ISO file of the quad recording of DSOTM from the ORIGINAL tapes.You need a DVD-A player.
    No Kids Allowed
    cold, heartless, clueless, greedy 'young professional'
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    shack wrote:
    Joe, All is not lost...even though you may be feeling so right now. Since the mold and mildew is only a couple of months old, chances are there is little permanent damage to the vinyl. The covers and sleves may be gone but the vinyl WILL clean up. Many of the commercial vinyl LP cleaning solutions have mold an mildew treatments:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Buggtussel-Vinyl-Zyme-Extra-Strength-8-oz-?sc=2&category=1178

http://www.discdoc.com/

It will take time but you can problably save most if not all of them.

Right on Shack thanks I needed that!!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    up2youjoe wrote:
    What's the difference between comedy and tragedy?

Time.

You have a new home, a wife and child who you love and who love you.

You lost a few records.....Oh well. Perspective my man!!!!!

I never saw a hearse with a trailer attached to it. Let it go.

Wait, did you say Dark side of the Moon got ruined?????

Son of a B**ch.

Download the ISO file of the quad recording of DSOTM from the ORIGINAL tapes.You need a DVD-A player.

Trust me one of the first things I did after the first 1/2 hour of realization was to let it go and focus on the positive things in my life. Thanks for the thoughts.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2006
    Wow. Man, that just totally blows. I can't even begin to imagine the heartbreak of facing that reality.

However, it does sound as if you can save at least the LPs themselves.

Here's hoping you can save them!!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2006
    Damn... You need to get cleaning, man. GTF off the computer and put that VPI to work, like pronto...
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    The VPI is on it's way. I've got to find a place who carries blank cardboard record holders. I have plenty or will have plenty of static free inner sleeves.
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    amulford wrote:
    Damn... You need to get cleaning, man. GTF off the computer and put that VPI to work, like pronto...

Ant,

The how's the week after New Year's sound for you to come down to the new abode?

Joe
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited December 2006
    I have a number of classical recordings on vinyl from my grandfather's estate
    that you're welcome to look through, if you're interested. I was going to karma them at some point, but this seems just as worthy of a cause. My turntable died recently, and replacing it is way down on my list of priorities.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2006
    I remember reading about six-seven months ago an article in Stereophile in the analog corner about a particular soulution to remove mold, I will look for it, or you could write Fremer?, these folks will normally help you out once you explain, however, as Shack indicated, the mold can be removed.

RT1
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2006
    Joe - that sux. Sorry for all the hardships lately. Once this dark cloud passes the sun will come shining through :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    strider wrote:
    I have a number of classical recordings on vinyl from my grandfather's estate
    that you're welcome to look through, if you're interested. I was going to karma them at some point, but this seems just as worthy of a cause. My turntable died recently, and replacing it is way down on my list of priorities.

That is an awesome gesture, thank you. How about we set something up after the holidays. Sorry to hear about your grandpop.

Thanks Joe
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    I remember reading about six-seven months ago an article in Stereophile in the analog corner about a particular soulution to remove mold, I will look for it, or you could write Fremer?, these folks will normally help you out once you explain, however, as Shack indicated, the mold can be removed.

RT1

Thanks RT I'm really desperate here. I've been googling but haven't come up with anything that isn't a depressing negative, "nothing will take mold out of the vinyl."

BTW MIKEY is on of my favorite characters for analog. Have you seen his 21st Century Vinyl yet?
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Halo wrote:
    Joe - that sux. Sorry for all the hardships lately. Once this dark cloud passes the sun will come shining through :)

Hey Buddy,

I was talking to Phil (pearsall0001) on the phone last night and he told me that when you have a sh!^y move to a new home it is good luck and that it means clear sailing after that. I have faith. Thanks for the kind words.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2006
    Sorry to hear about the albums Joe. Hopefully you can get them cleaned up.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    Thanks RT I'm really desperate here. I've been googling but haven't come up with anything that isn't a depressing negative, "nothing will take mold out of the vinyl."
    Joe. Like I posted earlier, The Buggtussel Vinyl-Zyme Gold is designed to remove mold.

http://www.smartdev.com/buggtussel.html

Before you worry yourself into a frenzy, just get some of this stuff and try it. It will either work or it won't. If it does...then life is good. If it doesn't...then you are no worse off then you are today (except for the few bucks and the time). Either way the worry would be for no good purpose. Like I tell my kids....worrying in a useless emotion and a waste of time.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    shack wrote:
    Joe. Like I posted earlier, The Buggtussel Vinyl-Zyme Gold is designed to remove mold.

http://www.smartdev.com/buggtussel.html

Before you worry yourself into a frenzy, just get some of this stuff and try it. It will either work or it won't. If it does...then life is good. If it doesn't...then you are no worse off then you are today (except for the few bucks and the time). Either way the worry would be for no good purpose. Like I tell my kids....worrying in a useless emotion and a waste of time.

Thanks again Shack. . . I really have accepted the situation and am in action mode now. I hope that VPI 16.5 gets here soon. I'm ordering the Buggtussel (I liked Peticoat Junction) when I get done typing here.

Thanks Again!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2006
    hearingimpared,

PM me your addy...after the Christmas rush, I've got some excellent vinyl that I'll send you.

Also, I've had pretty decent success with de-molding vinyl, so buck up. All ain't lost.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2006
    TroyD wrote:
    ...after the Christmas rush, I've got some excellent vinyl that I'll send you.
    I have some moldy cheese in the frig. Can you send me some vinyl too? ;)

Good luck with the clean-up HI.
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    TroyD wrote:
    hearingimpared,

PM me your addy...after the Christmas rush, I've got some excellent vinyl that I'll send you.

Also, I've had pretty decent success with de-molding vinyl, so buck up. All ain't lost.

BDT

PM on the Brother. . . and a little something for you.
  • TroyD
    edited December 2006
    I have some moldy cheese in the frig. Can you send me some vinyl too? ;)

Good luck with the clean-up HI.

No can do, Sandy says you've been a VERY naughty boy....

BDT
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2006
    TroyD wrote:
    No can do, Sandy says you've been a VERY naughty boy....

BDT
    True. But she likes VERY naughty boys. :D
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2006
    Ant,

The how's the week after New Year's sound for you to come down to the new abode?

Joe

I'm there, dude... I got a little house warming gift for ya...;)

Anthony
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    amulford wrote:
    I'm there, dude... I got a little house warming gift for ya...;)

Anthony

LOL!
  • TroyD
    edited December 2006
    True. But she likes VERY naughty boys. :D

Uhhhhh, I got nothin'.

;)

BDT