Heartbroken & Devastated

2»

Comments

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2006
    And nothin from nothin leaves...................nothin

But you gotta have something if you want to..................
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2007
    Any luck cleaning the vinyl? If not, it is after the holidays.....;)
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2007
    strider wrote:
    Any luck cleaning the vinyl? If not, it is after the holidays.....;)

Not a half hour ago I sent an email to the company (http://www.smartdev.com/buggtussel.html) I purchased the bugtussel mold removing juice that Shack suggested. It was shipped out 12/20/06 and still hasn't arrived. I've received atleast a dozen shipments of things from the elusive disc, music direct, accoustic sounds, and shipments from other forum members and have received them since. I'm thinking the shipment from smartdev was lost in the shuffle. I'll probably hear back from them tomorrow as I believe they are an East coast company and I called them after hours tonight.

I would still be interested in your offer of purchasing some of the collection you refered to in a previous thread.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • strider
    edited January 2007
    Hopefully you'll get your order soon, I'm interested to hear how well it works. I've tried a home remedy in the past that improved, at least to my ears, older, earthy smelling albums. I'd try it as a last resort to the commercial products, though. I'll send you a PM with a list of the classical stuff I have; not being much on the genre, how does one differentiate between versions of the same composer/title? Does orchestra/performer, label, piece, composer provide enough info?

BTW, I'm not trying to sell these albums. I got 'em for free, so that's how they'll leave me. I'm just hoping that when I die, on my deathbed, I'll receive total consciousness. I've heard that's nice to have goin' for ya.:D
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2007
    strider wrote:
    Hopefully you'll get your order soon, I'm interested to hear how well it works. I've tried a home remedy in the past that improved, at least to my ears, older, earthy smelling albums. I'd try it as a last resort to the commercial products, though. I'll send you a PM with a list of the classical stuff I have; not being much on the genre, how does one differentiate between versions of the same composer/title? Does orchestra/performer, label, piece, composer provide enough info?

BTW, I'm not trying to sell these albums. I got 'em for free, so that's how they'll leave me. I'm just hoping that when I die, on my deathbed, I'll receive total consciousness. I've heard that's nice to have goin' for ya.:D

Thanks Buddy, I just spoke to the company that sells the bugtussel mold juice. Here, they cancelled the order because my billing address didn't match the shipping address. That makes total sense because at the time I ordered (12/19) the product I was in the middle of moving and I'm sure my address changes didn't hit the credit card database in time. This address matching is one of their ways of trying to thwart credit card theft and believe me I am OKAY with that. The woman I spoke to said they have had around 30% being illegitimate orders .. . . that is friggin scary. Anyhow I ordered it again and it should be here in few days.

As far as your questions about differentiating between versions of the same composer/title and orchestra/performer, label, piece, composer provide enough info, well, I would refer you to more knowledgeable forum members like Troy. I have a pretty good collection of classical music and I love the genre. I do know that you can get a recording of a great masterpiece and the performance can be so so. Or you can get a recording of an obscure piece of music that may not be so popular and the performance and engineering of the session makes it a worthwhile purchase. Just like with any genre I guess it is a crap shoot without recommendations.

But as I said there are members that are much more knowledgeable than I am with classical music that can give you a more accurate answer.

Yep I'm on board with "total consciousness" except I call it Heaven.

Joe
  • strider
    edited January 2007
    Yep I'm on board with "total consciousness" except I call it Heaven.

Joe

Shucks, I wasn't being that deep, I was just paraphrasing Caddyshack.:)
    I'll get a PM over to you sometime soon.

Ben
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited January 2007
    Hi Joe,
    I read you perdicament and would like to help if I can.
    I have a collector store called "The Flip Side" that has hundreds if not thousands of albums near where I live. If you would like to PM me with some choices you might like I will stop by there and see if they have anything for ya. My wife and I went in there once and in the front part is the vinal and the back half is the other collectables the building is quite large and had at the time litterly thousands of albums.

Dave
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    WARNING: ANTI-VINYL INSURGENTS NEED NOT READ ANY FURTHER AS THIS WILL STRENGTHEN YOUR CASE!!!!

Well I am relieved. A few members here suggested some products which might help save my record collections. I don't want to name, names because I may miss someone but you know who you are.

The records that were so damaged are records which simply can't be replaced. There are very rare recordings here, on some labels, which don't exist anymore. For example: MFSL half speed mastered original master recordings, MFSL UHQRs, Proprius, Reference Recordings, Sheffield Labs, Telarc, UK pressing, Japanese pressing, etc etc. . . some I don't even remember, I will list them when I come across them.

I found a way to save, it appears, my whole vinyl collection and I want to share this with everyone. I am very relieved because I have restored some (12) LPs that were very badly full of black and green mold. Upon visual inspection, these seemed to be the worst of the lot. After restoring them I played each one and they sounded as good as the day I purchased them.

My entire collection, mass produced LPs as well as the rare and better quality LPs were all, 20 years ago, treated with a product called FIRST. This product was used to deep clean LPs as well as remove the mould release compounds used at the stamping factory. They then were all treated with a product called LAST. This product was used to preserve the records as well as make the vinyl more pliable which was clamed to reduce record & stylus wear. I then placed each onE in an MFSL archive inner static/scratch proof sleeve and placed them in their jacket with the open end of the inner sleeve up. Some LPs were placed in a plastic outer wrapper.

I believe that this preparation had a great deal to do with keeping the water from touching the record and therefore just allowing for just the mold to grow on the inside inner sleeve due to the humidity.

Products:
    Buggtussel Vinyl-Zyme Gold

MFSL Super Deep Record Cleaner

MFSL Record Wash

VPI Record Cleaning Fluid.

Equipment:
    VPI 16.5 Wet/Vacuum Record Cleaning Machine

Tools/Misc.
    4" Foam Paint Brush
    VPI Record Scrubbing brush
    MFSL Record Scrubbing brush
    Wax paper cut to fit over cork platter
    A Breathing Mask (an after thought)
    Soft Paper Napkins

Archival Products:
    MFSL Archival Anti-Static/Anti-Scratch Inner Sleeves
    Blank White Cardboard Outer Jackets
    Sharpe Permanent Ink Marker

Each record had to be torn from its jacket. The jackets were faded and stuck together. The ones that had a plastic outer sleeve seemed to have the worst mold problems and I attribute this to the fact that the water had no place go after penetrating the plastic so it took longer for these to dry therefore an even worse mold breeding ground. After the jackets were removed (these were completely covered in black mold and caused some mucous membrane issues), the records were removed from their inner sleeves. Some of the records had black mold dust on the playing surface of the record and others seemed to be clean however, mold is microscopic so I took no chances. Most of the record labels had visibly grown mold on them.

The Vinyl-Zyme Gold concentrate product came in a 2oz bottle. It is capable of making four gallons of regular strength solution or one gallon of extra strength solution. I choose to use the extra strength formula. After mixing the concentrate with one gallon of distilled water, I filled the two ounce bottle with the solution and placed a plastic sprayer on the bottle.

1. Place wax paper over cork platter in the VPI 16.5.

2. Spray side one of a record with 10 sprays of Vinyl-Zyme Gold solution making sure that a fine mist of over spray lightly coats the record label. {Do this step holding the record carefully in your hand away from the record cleaning machine to ensure that none of the solution make contact with the machine}.

3. Place side two of record on the wax paper and secure the record to the
    platter.

4. Turn turntable on to spin and hold the 4" foam paintbrush on the record two revolutions to spread the solution evenly.

5. Turn off turntable and allow the enzymes to work for one minute.

6. Squirt a line of MFSL Super Deep Cleaner radially on the record.

7. Hold the VPI scrubbing brush on the record and start the turntable again, two revolutions to coat and scrub the record.

8. Place vacuum tube over the record, turn on the vacuum and allow the vacuum to run for three revolutions, while doing this gently hold a paper napkin against the label to remove mold but not enough pressure to damage the label.

9. Squirt a line of MFSL Record Wash radially on the record. Repeats steps 7 & 8.

10. Squirt a line of VPI record cleaning fluid radially on the record, repeat steps 7 & 8 with the exception that this time use the MFSL brush..

NOTE: Although it may not have been necessary to do step 10
    I felt it necessary just to ensure that all film and
    residue had been removed.

11. Remove record, remove wax paper and place side one down on the cork platter.

12. Repeats steps Two through Ten.

13. Place record in new record sleeve, then place in the blank white record jacket. Ask wife to write the information from the jacket (if legible) or the record itself.

This method really does restore the record to its former glory. When playing the records I found them to be very quiet and with few ticks & pops if any at all.

I use this method for all my records even the ones that were not damaged in the flood nor were they stored in the same place. If in fact the record was not damaged I still used all the steps above due to the fact that mold and dirt can settle in records over years and not be obvious to the naked eye.

I ran a test with a record that was not damaged. I did one side using the method above and one side without the Buggtussel juice. The side that was cleaned with the Bug Juice was quieter and sounded noticeably better. That leads me to believe the manufacturers claim that it should be used on all records that have been stored for some time. I plan on using this method on all records that I obtain.

I hope this is helpful to you vinyl lovers. I can tell you this, that nagging anxiety that I had every time I looked at my record crates is now gone because I am confident that they can all be restored.:)

PS: I know this seems like a lot of work but the rewards are immense to a vinyl junkie like me.
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited February 2007
    A happy ending! :D

congrats

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    A happy ending! :D

congrats

Dave

Thanks bro.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    That's awesome!!!!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited February 2007
    Wow great ending to a sad tale. as i was reading i was getting more depressed by the minute till i reached the part where you rescued them. I almost fell out of my chair. This makes for good bed time reading. I can sleep easier now. REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    snow wrote:
    Wow great ending to a sad tale. as i was reading i was getting more depressed by the minute till i reached the part where you rescued them. I almost fell out of my chair. This makes for good bed time reading. I can sleep easier now. REGARDS SNOW

Sometimes in our lives we look back an wonder why we did something or why we didn't do something. What I am asking myself right now is why didn't I place both LPs from Pink Floyd's "The Wall" in the MFSL archival inner sleeve? :mad: I just came across it tonight and it is completely destroyed. :( Nothing can save this, one of Pink Floyd's greatest efforts. It was sitting in the regular paper inner sleeve that came with albums back then. When the water hit it the paper just absorbed it and as it dried it stuck to the records. I hope I can replace this. Maybe a new 180 gm pressing will be released. Now I have to wonder how many other albums I was as careless with.

Oh well it's still all good.
  • dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited February 2007
    I had one of those moments, once. I had a 256MB Sony MemoryStick in my camera uploading pics to my computer. I removed the cable before I "ejected" the memory card, thus corrupting the information on the disc. When I plugged it back in, it was empty, but said it was "full". I then promptly disposed of it in frustration.

A week later, I discovered this interesting concept called "reformatting". Could have simply reformatted the MemoryStick and all would have been well. Lesson learned.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited February 2007
    Sometimes in our lives we look back an wonder why we did something or why we didn't do something. What I am asking myself right now is why didn't I place both LPs from Pink Floyd's "The Wall" in the MFSL archival inner sleeve? :mad: I just came across it tonight and it is completely destroyed. :( Nothing can save this, one of Pink Floyd's greatest efforts. It was sitting in the regular paper inner sleeve that came with albums back then. When the water hit it the paper just absorbed it and as it dried it stuck to the records. I hope I can replace this. Maybe a new 180 gm pressing will be released. Now I have to wonder how many other albums I was as careless with.

Oh well it's still all good.

As you may already know, there is a 30th anniversary 180g pressing of Dark Side of the Moon that was released a few years ago. It has all the original packaging and also includes a DSOTM poster. It should be readily available at any good vinyl source. If you have any trouble finding it let me know. I'm pretty sure my local record store has 1 or 2 copies.

Also I'm pretty sure there are plans to do the same thing for The Wall album. Of course you'll have to wait another 2 years for that one.:rolleyes:

Glad you were able to save most of your albums. Also if you find any others that you can't save please let us know so that we can check our local shops.

Best wishes.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    cmy330go wrote:
    As you may already know, there is a 30th anniversary 180g pressing of Dark Side of the Moon that was released a few years ago. It has all the original packaging and also includes a DSOTM poster. It should be readily available at any good vinyl source. If you have any trouble finding it let me know. I'm pretty sure my local record store has 1 or 2 copies.

Also I'm pretty sure there are plans to do the same thing for The Wall album. Of course you'll have to wait another 2 years for that one.:rolleyes:

Glad you were able to save most of your albums. Also if you find any others that you can't save please let us know so that we can check our local shops.

Best wishes.

Thanks Bro, I do have the new DSOTM 180 pressing, I am a little disappointed in it but if they come out with "The Wall" 180gm pressing I'll be first in line to buy it. I've been checking out the net for a copy of "The Wall," they are out there it is just a little tricky picking the right one for the right price.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited February 2007
    Joe,

I was thinking of you when I was reading this thread from Audiokarma (using wood glue as a record cleaner). Check it out! It's wild!

HERE!
    Carl

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited February 2007
    Glad things worked out so great for you and what sounds like an irreplaceable vinyl collection.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pblanc
    pblanc Posts: 261
    edited February 2007
    Damn, I've heard so much about this record collection, I'm just about ready to drive to Delaware and camp out on your doorstep until you let me listen to it.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    schwarcw wrote:
    Joe,

I was thinking of you when I was reading this thread from Audiokarma (using wood glue as a record cleaner). Check it out! It's wild!

HERE!

Thanks Carl. . .I'm very anal and very patient when trying to restore my beloved record collection but that is way more than I am willing to do. Besides what I detailed in procedures above works really well.

I wrote in a bit of despair about my Pink Floyd "The Wall" record above. I'm not so sure now that it can't be saved. I've restored three Queen records, "A Day At The Races," "Jazz," and "The Game." All three had very deep and grungy mold and mildew on it as well as torn cardboard and paper stuck fast to them. I sprayed 15 squirts of the bug juice on them and let them sit. Then I did the MFSL liquids, and the VPI liquid. . . except with these I pressed harder on the scrubbing brushing while rotating on the platter until all the stuck paper and cardboard came off. . . .IT EFFING WORKED!!! All three records were restored. I played all three of them every track and with the exception of normal wear and tear noise the sounded wonderful.

I was going to tackle the Pink Floyd "The Wall" but the mold from the other three has given me a head ache, my lungs hurt (like when I used to smoke) and my throat and eyes and itchy. . . I thought I should stop and try some more tomorrow. Oh yeah I was so into what I was doing that the friggin masks I purchased were sitting on the table keeping the table safe from the molds instead of me. . . duh!!!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    pblanc wrote:
    Damn, I've heard so much about this record collection, I'm just about ready to drive to Delaware and camp out on your doorstep until you let me listen to it.

I do have some pretty good stuff. My cousin who used to buy 4 or 5 LPs a week back in the day has thousands and is giving them to me. I'll be spending the rest of my life restoring records. . . but I don't care as long as I can listen to each one when the process is complete.

You should see this Dynavector / SME V combo track records, it's like the combo has no trouble at all with anything I throw at it. Uncentered spindle holes. . . warps that won't flatten out no problem, its awesome.
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    pblanc wrote:

Here is an example it is a rare recording but not impossible to find. I googled it and found a copy used here.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited March 2007
    I do have some pretty good stuff. My cousin who used to buy 4 or 5 LPs a week back in the day has thousands and is giving them to me.

Hmmmmmmmmm.........

I knew a Cousin Vinny, they called him Vinny the Mook, he was an avid record collector, till one day he disappeared along with the collection..........the Mook is a what we call a person of interest.

Glad to hear you are making progress with your "cousin's" ;) collection:cool:

RT1
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Hmmmmmmmmm.........

I knew a Cousin Vinny, they called him Vinny the Mook, he was an avid record collector, till one day he disappeared along with the collection..........the Mook is a what we call a person of interest.

Glad to hear you are making progress with your "cousin's" ;) collection:cool:

RT1

I still have to go over to my cousin's, Louie, to pick up the crates and crates of them. If I use my car, I'm going to have to make serveral trips. I'm just finishing up on one crate of the damaged record collection I already own. . .the house stinks of mildew and mold. I've got candles burning all the time. I can't wait until this chore is finally over. Mold & mildew is not conducive to good health. But listening to restored to former glory records is conducive to good mental health so there is a trade off.

BTW; My cousin Louie has been know to call me a Chooch which is not a compliment neither is a Mook come to think of it.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited March 2007
    Well, I would try to think of them as finding old treasures, just waiting for you to recover them.

RT1
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Well, I would try to think of them as finding old treasures, just waiting for you to recover them.

RT1

Right On!