How the hell do they know!

Strong Bad
Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061205/ap_on_sc/austria_warming_in_alps

Now how the hell do these people know what things were like back 1300 years ago. Rediculous if you ask me. No chance the planet is going through a normal warming cycle?

I guess this goes back to the Global Warming thread of months ago.
No excuses!
Post edited by Strong Bad on

Comments

• nebborjk
    nebborjk Posts: 425
    edited December 2006
    I believe they look at ice core samples to estimate climtes in the past.
    Better question would be what caused the planet to be this warm 1300 years ago if humans went burning fossil fules in large quantities? I think there are holes in some of the theories being presented as fact today.
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2006
    With all the intricacies and elements involved with modelling the entire earth's atmospheric temperatures, I found it astounding that they can pinpoint exact causes for shifts in temperature.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    Global Warming = Planet "Break In" ...

Get out of my head PW..

I just made the same joke in that thread:eek:
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Strong Bad
    edited December 2006

LOL!

This is just cause for another vote thread. Does the Planet Earth have a "break in" period?

Yeah man you said it, what caused the big warm up 1300 years ago that this is being compared to?
    No excuses!
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2006
    A butterfly in the Amazon flaps its wings and ..............................
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    This is a picture of the earth "breaking-in"...
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited December 2006
    Superman can spin the Earth backwards to reverse global warming...
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2006
    I'm sure the Alps have been even hotter in the past than they are now.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Strong Bad
    edited December 2006
    In all seriousness, please guys...think of all those skiers that have no snow. DAMN this global warming! What are those poor alpine skiers going to do now?
    No excuses!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
  • pmckeealaska
    pmckeealaska Posts: 808
    edited December 2006
    This really isnt rocket science here people. There are multiple ways to reconstruct past climates, from ice cores, to lake sediment samples to isotope comparisons. The techniques are long understood and accepted within the scientific community. Causation is another matter, however. The current warming trend has been attributed by many to have been caused, at least in part, to the burning of fossil fuels by humans since the industrial revolution. There are some very nice trend lines to support this supposition. The DEGREE to which humans affect the climate is the hottest (to use a pun) debate in the climate community. But only an idoit would deny that warming is occurring. It's always amazed me how people will allow there own personal political beliefs to blind there views to reality. Climatologist and all the others who are studying this problem are paid to be the experts on these matters and much of the literature that I have read is very compelling. I have witnessed warming first hand after having lived up in Alaska for the last 20 years and I tell you, it is happening. I really wish folks could look past there own bias and see it for what it is.
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
    NAD T763 Reciever
    Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
    Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
    Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
    Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Strong Bad wrote:
    LOL!

This is just cause for another vote thread. Does the Planet Earth have a "break in" period?

Yeah man you said it, what caused the big warm up 1300 years ago that this is being compared to?

Europeans ate more beans back then!
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited December 2006
    Personally I am all for global warming. I don't know about you all, but I have been feeling a bit of a chill recently....

Michael

(I still remember in 6th through 8th grade having to learn about global cooling. Hard to believe that the earth has completly changed course on a global scale in only about 26 years....)
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited December 2006
    I recently saw An inconvenient Truth, got it from Netflix and must say it seemed factual to me. Interesting stuff in it, If you can look past the political aspect of it.

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    This really isnt rocket science here people. There are multiple ways to reconstruct past climates, from ice cores, to lake sediment samples to isotope comparisons. The techniques are long understood and accepted within the scientific community. Causation is another matter, however. The current warming trend has been attributed by many to have been caused, at least in part, to the burning of fossil fuels by humans since the industrial revolution. There are some very nice trend lines to support this supposition. The DEGREE to which humans affect the climate is the hottest (to use a pun) debate in the climate community. But only an idoit would deny that warming is occurring. It's always amazed me how people will allow there own personal political beliefs to blind there views to reality. Climatologist and all the others who are studying this problem are paid to be the experts on these matters and much of the literature that I have read is very compelling. I have witnessed warming first hand after having lived up in Alaska for the last 20 years and I tell you, it is happening. I really wish folks could look past there own bias and see it for what it is.

Excuse me but what and how you just described this is rocket science! I must be an "idoit" to use your spelling because I think this whole business is something that is just occuring because we are here. What are we supposed to do have the entire human race stop living the way they have because chicken little is in the house? Hell we can't get two countries to agree on a way of life let alone this crappola. I don't know (or have) about any political bias in this matter I just think the chicken littles are are out in full force on this subject.

In a couple of years they will reverse their thinking to the complete opposite. Remember how bacon caused cancer a few years back. . . then it turned out that bacon was good for you two years later. . . it's all mumbo jumbo, enny, meeny, yellow polka dot bikini.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    I'm glad KFC brought back the Chicken Littles...
    they're oh-so yummy in my tummy.

Wouldn't you agree HI?
    Oh wait, you're just an IDOIT.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2006
    global warming is happening...is it happening because of people? That's debatable. I highly doubt it, but then again, I'm not an expert.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Last winter here in Philly was way warmer than usuall:) . . . the year before we got quite a bit of snow:( , the year before that we got dump on:mad: . . . I guess that is undisputed proof of "Global Warming?":D
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    I'm glad KFC brought back the Chicken Littles...
    they're oh-so yummy in my tummy.

Wouldn't you agree HI?
    Oh wait, you're just an IDOIT.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    Read Michael Crichton's "State of Fear", a novel about global warming. As is his ususal writing style it is fiction laced with a whole lot of facts and research. Definitely another point of view. He gives lots of references of his research of the topic if you would like to delve a little deeper into the subject.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Naaa Thanks, I have enough to worry about, like where I'm gonna dig up my next bucks for my next upgrade or my next tweak!!!:rolleyes: :D
  • pmckeealaska
    edited December 2006
    hearingimpared: um....last thing I read, bacon is still bad for you! I don't think they have found all of the fat suddenly health promoting.

In terms of the chicken littles as you called them? Sure, there are those out there who will always claim that the worst scenario is the most likely, but then again, they are also the ones who get the most press. Many of the scientists involved in the study of climate change are pretty careful to state that the possible outcomes are many and that there are a range of outcomes rather than a single one. And I dont think the most reasonable among them and anyone else who is concerned about this issue (myself included) is expecting the human race to stop living, just change the manner in which we live. We have had technology for years to allow for high mileage vehicles with very little greenhouse gas emmisions, for instance. But industry has consistently fought against most of this technology. I guess the economy is more important than the ability for us to live on this planet. We are not going to destroy the earth as many rabid enviro's would have us believe, but we could make it very difficult for US to live as we have for the last 200 years. And the potential impact to the economy is far and away greater than any impacts that might be caused in trying to reverse the effect we have had.

For an interesting alternate view on this point and many other environmental issues, folks might want to pick up a copy of the book "The Skeptical Environmentalist". Great book and very well researched.
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    NAD T763 Reciever

Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    hearingimpared: um....last thing I read, bacon is still bad for you! I don't think they have found all of the fat suddenly health promoting.

If you watch your carb intake ala Atkins or South Beach, fat intake is of no consequence. If you want scientific evidence, I was on the Atkins diet for 3 years, and my cholesterol, LDL & triglyceride counts went way, way down, my HDL up.
    In terms of the chicken littles as you called them? Sure, there are those out there who will always claim that the worst scenario is the most likely, but then again, they are also the ones who get the most press. Many of the scientists involved in the study of climate change are pretty careful to state that the possible outcomes are many and that there are a range of outcomes rather than a single one. And I dont think the most reasonable among them and anyone else who is concerned about this issue (myself included) is expecting the human race to stop living, just change the manner in which we live. We have had technology for years to allow for high mileage vehicles with very little greenhouse gas emmisions, for instance. But industry has consistently fought against most of this technology. I guess the economy is more important than the ability for us to live on this planet. We are not going to destroy the earth as many rabid enviro's would have us believe, but we could make it very difficult for US to live as we have for the last 200 years. And the potential impact to the economy is far and away greater than any impacts that might be caused in trying to reverse the effect we have had.

For an interesting alternate view on this point and many other environmental issues, folks might want to pick up a copy of the book "The Skeptical Environmentalist". Great book and very well researched.

I'm just teasing you about "chicken little." All this business about global warming is of no consequence to me. God is in control of human existance not any scientist or study. No one is going twist me up with a contradiction to that fact (a fact to me).

So . . . As I said in a previous post, my biggest concern in life is where I'm going to get the next buck for the next upgrade or next tweak in my 2 ch rig.
  • pmckeealaska
    edited December 2006
    God merley set things in motion. He does not decide what happens to us after that. We have freewill to make our own decisions and this includes how we treat the planet that we were given dominion over.

Luckily it also includes upgrades! Long live LSi!!
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    NAD T763 Reciever

Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited December 2006
    Bacon is bad for you??? My grandmother ate at least a couple of pounds per month her entire life, passed in her sleep at 86. Pffft.

The real reason for the warmer weather as I see it is all the hot air coming out of the mouths of those "peace loving" Muslim terrorist pieces of ****. As a possible solution I think a little bacon in their diet might be the cure to shutting them up, then the weather can return to normal. Everyone's happy...well except the pig's, I'd venture to say.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Strong Bad
    edited December 2006
    I'm not looking at this from a political standpoint. I'm simply curious as to how they know what went on 1300 years ago and what the temperature was like.

As was stated before, if this is the hottest in 1300 years, then 1350 years ago, was the average temperature of the earth the same as is today?

All of the intense hurricanes of recent years are said to be caused by this warming. How do we know there were not even more intense frequent hurricanes say...150 years ago? 200 years ago? 500 years ago?

The info and recorded data they go off of realistically is from a mere fraction of the time the earth has existed.

We could be going through a normal weather cycle. Nothing political here, eh?

Time to feed the machine (me). :D

Strong Hungry
    No excuses!
  • Strong Bad
    edited December 2006
    F1nut wrote:
    Bacon is bad for you??? My grandmother ate at least a couple of pounds per month her entire life, passed in her sleep at 86. Pffft.

The real reason for the warmer weather as I see it is all the hot air coming out of the mouths of those "peace loving" Muslim terrorist pieces of ****. As a possible solution I think a little bacon in their diet might be the cure to shutting them up, then the weather can return to normal. Everyone's happy...well except the pig's, I'd venture to say.

LMFAO! Priceless Jesse!
    No excuses!
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Good one F1:D

I say eff the pigs... more meat for the meat eaters.
    What's a mother fletchin' pig ever done for me?

nuthin'
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited December 2006
    Your a hot dog, Frank Fuhrter.