Of interest to gear heads....

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2006
    The Offical "Frank Z is a Cheap Bastage!!" Post

Yeah, it's true. Since I'm using a 12 counter weight crankshaft with a long snout I knew I had two options.
    1.) Have the shop keep the crank a little longer and machine 1 centimeter off the end and re-tap if needed.
    2.) Buy a 1cm spacer from Hesco for $30 plus freight.:eek:

So what's a stroker builder to do that's inexpensive and will still provide the proper harmonic balancer location?
    DIY Spacer!!

I had a balancer that came with the 4.2L crank.

Step#1
    Cut the center section out.
    4912n1j.jpg

Step#2
    Use a properly sized precision broom handle to aide in cutting the rough spacer.
    433zm0h.jpg

Step#3
    Cut the rough spacer with surgical precision. I suggest limiting coffee intake before attempting this part of the operation.
    2nsccu9.jpg

Step#4
    Mark the Spacer at just over 1 cm and use a drill press as a lathe. A fine tooth hack-saw was also used in this step.
    Cut the spacer to slightly more than 1 cm thick.
    2d7d5kw.jpg

Step#5
    Grind and sand the spacer to the desired 1 cm thickness.
    4bteq0n.jpg
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2006
    Crankshaft/Harmonic Balancer/Flexplate are now balanced and ready for installation. Here's Jerry gettin' it juuuuuust right....
    487h6xg.jpg

Robbie resized the connecting rods...
    4go9a4i.jpg

I'm hoping to pick everything up at the end of this week and start cleaning and assembling as well. With a little luck the motor will be ready to go in about a weeks time.

I was hoping to get everything last week, but "Stuff Happens."

Stay tuned....
  • dgt2n
    dgt2n Posts: 31
    edited December 2006
    nice project! i love working on cars with my old man. looking forward to seeing the rest.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited December 2006
    Can't wait to see pictures of the assy.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2006
    Well looky at what I brought home today....

2nqe4bo.jpg

Kinda at a standstill for the time being though due to this...

The rear of the crank won't drop in and there seems to be an interference between the bearing and the raised flange on the crank itself.

Here ya go...
    47tg7bs.jpg
  • MSALLA
    edited December 2006
    It looks like they can cut the journel on the counter weight side but the flange on the main seal side looks like it might give you an issue.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    Harmony 880
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2006
    Just found (buried in a Haynes manual) that he thrust bearing goes in a different journal location. D'Oh!!!
  • pmlewis
    pmlewis Posts: 100
    edited December 2006
    Cool project! Looks like you are in for some fun. I used to work for a parts supplier that made the split crank seals for the 4.0L engine. I have a question. I seem to remember that the seal had helixes on the primary lip, but I can't remember for sure (it was about 7 years ago and we made several different styles of seals). If the seal lip does have helixes you may have problems . The picture shows that the crank is helixed. My main expertise at the time was in the manufacture of these types of seals. I didn't design them, but I think that the idea was either the shaft or the seal would have the helixes, not both. You may be looking at premature leak or burned seal. I also noticed that there apprears to be a wear groove on the shaft where the seal lip makes contact with the shaft. If this is too deep if will also cause problems. You may want to have this looked at by the machine shop and see what they think. Also, you may or may not know that there is a specific way that the seal needs to be installed into the engine. If it is put in backwards it will pump oil out of the engine instead of back in. This was a big problem at the assembly plant for the 4.0L and we had to put colored dots on one side of the seal to help the operators figure out which was the oil side and which was the air side.

Good luck on the rebuild
    Patrick
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2006
    Not sure what you mean regarding a helix.

The crank has been turned .030" and is as smooth as a babies behind. The line you are seeing is actually grease on the shaft.

The rear main seal is directional and yes you can screw it up easily without too much effort.
  • pmlewis
    pmlewis Posts: 100
    edited December 2006
    A single helix on a seal looks like a raised diagonal line. The seal will have several of these lined up along the contact point. I will try to attached a diagram. I sure everything is ok. You knew enough to lube the seal before installation so I am sure you have a handle on the situation. The picture is deceiving in that it looks like those grooves on the shaft have depth.
  • MSALLA
    edited December 2006
    Frank Z wrote:
    Just found (buried in a Haynes manual) that he thrust bearing goes in a different journal location. D'Oh!!!

That explains it.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    Harmony 880
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2006
    Alright folks, it's crunch time and I've really gotta get this done. Got a couple jobs coming up that are going to take up a lot of time.

My daughter Rebecca took care of installing the main bearings, and she got them in the right locations....unlike her dad.
    4d5krrn.jpg

This next shot isn't that good, sorry about that. You might be able to see the Plastiguage on the bearing and on the journal itself. I checked each bearing and they are all at .0015 to .002". Right on the money baby!!
    2m295zk.jpg

I checked the end play at least a half dozen times or so. .006" each time.
    2d82xdf.jpg

Yes I am using assembly lube. I looks like blood so if I get mortaly wounded my wife won't know...therefore I won't hear "So what did you injure this time?!?"
    4dc8tat.jpg

Camshaft is in....
    2u5q6mw.jpg

Checked the ring gap for all rings. All are within spec. You an also see the new timing set installed.
    2vn1b21.jpg

Number One piston going in...
    4d3rn1t.jpg

More to come later on.
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2006
    Got a little more done this evening but lost my pit crew after just a little while, homework has priority over engine work.

Daniel getting the #4 cylinder prep'd for the piston.
    490bkhl.jpg

Making sure the rod bolts are lined up and the piston is facing the right direction.
    2z9beo0.jpg

A few taps with the handle and #4 is in.
    2hsbur8.jpg

Torqued to 33ft lb. Plastiguage shows .0025 clearance.
    4hjhgeq.jpg

That's all for now folks.

Next on the agenda is installing the lifters and the cylinder head.

Thanks for lookin'!
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2006
    A little break in the action so I'd thought I share a couple of pics.

I installed a new Melling Hi-Volume Oil pump and filled it vaseline. I used one of my favorite tools to clean out the bolt holes....Chopsticks. Yeah, go ahead and laugh or roll your eyes, but some day because of this pic, chopsticks may save your life!!:P
    2zow5f8.jpg

Lifters are in. I used my trusty chopsticks to line them up with the lifter bores.
    4hu0miu.jpg
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2006
    Got a little more done this evening.

Prior to installing the cylinder head I coated the cylinder walls with a little freah oil.
    29gcra1.jpg

I made sure the mating surfaces were spotless. I used a lint free cloth and Brake-Clean.
    3321mds.jpg

After carefully placing the gasket and the head on the block it was time to start torquing the bolts.
    2uzyzr5.jpg

For those of you that haven't torqued down a 4.0L head before, it's not as simple as grabbing a torque wrench and twisting all the bolts to 110 ft lbs. The FSM is very clear in the proper torque sequence and the amount of torque applied during each incremental torque application.

There are 3 different cylinder head bolts to identify and install, so take your time.

After doing some research on head bolts, I found that the FSM states that cylinder head bolts can be re-used once. I also suggest that you keep the spare lube that is supplied with ARP Rod Bolts and use it on your head bolts. ARP has a lot of really good info on their site regarding the proper methods of torquing bolts and they recommend a high quality lubricant on the threads to aide in achieving the proper torque levels.

I also checked the lifter preload per the method recommended on the Crane Cams website. The preload should be .020 to .060". Mine measured .136" using the stock pushrods and lifters. Guess I'll be shopping for some new (shorter) pushrods tomorrow.
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2006
    After spending alot of time trying to find the proper length pushrods locally, and having no luck at all, and determining that Chromemolly push rods were out of the question for budgetary reasons, I opted for the low buck solution. Crane Cams offers a shim kit for about $15 that allows the rockers to be elevated enough to obtain the proper lifter preload. My solution was even more low buck...washers. I had a couple packs of grade 8 washers in the garage and used them instead. Preload is now within spec for a whopping $3.88.:) You might be able to see the washers in the following pic. There is one beneath each rocker fulcrum. The putty knife was used to scribe lines on the push rods to measure the lifter preload.

2vsjk9c.jpg

Oil pan was rattle-canned and bolted on today. The oil filter mount was installed too.
    44g39d3.jpg

All of the rocker arms are now on and ready to be covered with fresh oil.
    344p3qp.jpg
  • Frank Z
    edited January 2007
    We finally got enough spare nuts anfd bolts gathered up in a pile and decided that it was time to get busy with the swap….that and the weather is cooperating for a change.

Daniel made quick work of the radiator and heater hoses.
    30jqxrd.jpg

When removing the header panel, disconnect this connector. It’s a lot easier than trying to remove the harness from the panel at multiple points.
    2w1z4ls.jpg

After removing the upper radiator hose the top tranny cooler line is easy to get at. Make sure you use a back-up wrench.
    44i6yq0.jpg

We opted to remove as many of the brackets and mounts as possible before pulling the motor.
    Removing the power steering pump.
    2s8s5yp.jpg

To make lifting the motor out a little easier we pulled the intake and exhaust off the block.
    4cmbl75.jpg

I thought I had a found a crack in the exhaust header a few days ago but I was pleasantly surprised to find the crack was in the Moab mud that was caked on the exhaust. PHEEEEEEW!

We’ve got another 1 1/2 hours worth of unbolting little odds and ends and the engine will be ready to come out. The only thing left to buy is new injectors.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2007
    Sweet! It's all coming together!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Frank Z
    edited January 2007
    Old motor is out, and the stroker is in!

Daniel and Rebecca had the old motor out pretty quickly....once they rolled their sorry butts outta bed...
    34pmjkp.jpg
    49axt9e.jpg
    The block and head that are the foundation for this project is a '96. This head had a sensor in rear driver side that wasn't needed for my 97. The hole goes into the water jacket and needs to be plugged (1/4" NPT) prior to filling the system with coolant. Don't forget to add a couple wraps of teflon tape prior to installing this or any fittings into the block/head where coolant or oil are present.
    48zkvud.jpg
    Daniel getting the motor mounts bolted down.
    4hrqn8z.jpg
    Speaking of motor mounts, DO NOT install the brackets on the block until the engine is fully mated to the transmission.
    New motor in place.
    2zzp5qx.jpg
    Intake, exhaust, fuel injectors, fuel rail, PS pump, alternator, starter, a/c compressor, fan, and fanbelt all back in and torqued down.
    2jdkpy0.jpg
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2007
    Great job! Looks like it should be about ready to turn that key!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • MSALLA
    edited January 2007
    Looks awsome!
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    Harmony 880
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2007
    I want a video clip so I can hear that beast roar!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Frank Z
    edited January 2007
    Installed, started, and a near coronary.

Daniel and I got the last few items hooked up, topped off the tranny fluid, double checked nuts, bolts, screws etc. and turned the key. It started immediately! YES! Then we heard the knock from the bottom end and I damn near shat myself.

At first I thought it was rod knock, but quickly ruled that out. It just didn’t sound like it. It sounded mechanical in nature, almost like a collapsed lifter but the sound was definitely coming from the oil pan. This was confirmed using the traditional mechanics stethoscope (aka – large craftsman screwdriver handle against the ear)

I drained the oil, dropped the pan and inspected the bottom end. Nothing loose, no obvious signs of internal damage, no spare parts in the oil pan. After pulling the coil wire, I had Deb crank the motor while I eye-balled the goings on.

GOTTCHA! Seems that the girdle was not spaced quite far enough away from the main journal bearing caps. When the engine was running one of the connecting rod bolts would barely, and I mean barely nick the girdle after it passed BDC. I promptly pulled the bolts off, added a second spacer (washer) at each bearing cap bolt, put the pan back on, refilled with oil..

Moment of Truth , Part II

After talking a deep breath, saying a quick prayer to Saint Bubba, patron saint of shadetree mechanics, it was time to start it up again.

No more knock!! YEAH!
    After doing the initial break-in, and oil/filter change it was time for a quick test drive. My initial reaction after pulling out of the driveway was the much improved throttle response. I didn’t go any faster than 45 (residential area) but the overall feel of the motor was amazing. I could have very easily gotten carried away and opened it up, but thankfully I’ve got a wife at home that would beat me senseless if I broke her new motor on day one.

The idle is incredibly smooth, even with a bumpier cam. I credit my superior engine building skills….naaaah. It’s the massive 12 counter-weight crankshaft. At seventy-some odd pounds, it really smoothes out the idle.

There is a bit of valve train (rocker) noise but nothing alarming. From what I’ve read it’s fairly common.

A few items of note.
    The radiator was replace about a year and half ago, it’s a Modine 2 row. The water pump is a new (not rebuilt) standard flow pump. The thermostat is a 180Deg. Stant Super-Stat. At idle the engine temperature was just under 200deg.F. Prestone anti-freeze was used, 50/50 mix.

The oil pump is a Melling Hi-Volume pump. Oil pressure at idle with a warm engine is approx. 35psi. Pressure at 1800rpm is right at 60 psi. Oil is 5w-30. I won’t change over to synthetic oil until I get few thousand miles on the motor.

Here’s the final pic.
    4bybrxx.jpg

After I get 500-1000 miles on the motor I’ll get it Dyno’d and post he results.
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2007
    Awesome! Don't forget to record the dyno pull!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Frank Z
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, I'll take my cam-corder.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    *groan*

hahahaha
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2007
    Looking good, I may have used a slightly larger cam but I understand you need a torquer in the mountains.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited January 2007
    Frank Z wrote:
    Installed, started, and a near coronary.

At first I thought it was rod knock, but quickly ruled that out. It just didn’t sound like it. It sounded mechanical in nature, almost like a collapsed lifter but the sound was definitely coming from the oil pan. This was confirmed using the traditional mechanics stethoscope (aka – large craftsman screwdriver handle against the ear)

I drained the oil, dropped the pan and inspected the bottom end. Nothing loose, no obvious signs of internal damage, no spare parts in the oil pan. After pulling the coil wire, I had Deb crank the motor while I eye-balled the goings on.

GOTTCHA! Seems that the girdle was not spaced quite far enough away from the main journal bearing caps. When the engine was running one of the connecting rod bolts would barely, and I mean barely nick the girdle after it passed BDC. I promptly pulled the bolts off, added a second spacer (washer) at each bearing cap bolt, put the pan back on, refilled with oil..

Great story thanks for the laughs. :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Frank Z
    edited January 2007
    Spent a few hours in the garage today and installed a new APN manifold.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3870295459207846118&hl=en
  • disneyjoe7
    edited January 2007
    Is that an intake manifold?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics