Just in....Rumsfeld finally stepping down..

univera
univera Posts: 848
edited November 2006 in The Clubhouse
Just heard it on CNN.
UNIVERA
Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
AVR: NAD T 773
Rears: Polk LC80i
DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
Subs: Velodyne and M&K
T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
Post edited by univera on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited November 2006
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2006
    lol........did he see a chopping block being set up somewhere?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited November 2006
    The people have spoken, and it appears the government is listening.
    Sal Palooza
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited November 2006
    I suppose the election sealed his fate.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited November 2006
    The people have spoken, and it appears the government is listening.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2006
    Well, one thing I can say for Rumsfeld, I used to love his press conferences back like, 4 years ago.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2006
    You know, Rumsfeld was actually, short of withdrawing the troops, following a course of action that dovetailed perfectly with the Democrats.

Stick with me on this. Had I been in charge? REAL shock and awe. Carpet bombing...the whole nine yards. However, we never really did that because we didn't want to piss the locals off, or piss them off as little as possible.

We DIDN'T take over wholesale, we really don't have an overwhelming presence, we haven't made any demands. Honestly, we've been as easy as could be expected. Essentially what we have done is secure to the bare minimum while trying to stand up the Iraqi military/defense. Also allowing the Iraqi gov't to form with fairly little intervention on our part (much less than we have done in the past).

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited November 2006
    BDT's got it right.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2006
    that man was screwed no matter what he did..LOL
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • brettw22
    edited November 2006
    The problem is the 'bare minimum' part.....that aspect is why we're still there and will continue to be for much longer than we should......
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited November 2006
    I guess he chose to step down rather than face the Witch...

he he he.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited November 2006
    The strategy of how the war has been conducted up to this point was formed by Donald Rumsfeld, plain and simple.
    The military commanders on the ground have shown a lot of courage, not just by facing the enemy, but by openly stating that more troops are needed on the ground to secure Iraq properly. Why did that take courage ? Because this directly opposed Rumsfeld's philosophy of "lean and mean".

"We're listening to our commanders on the ground". BS.

Johnson tried to run the war in Vietnam from Washington, and it didn't work.
    Rumsfeld tried to run the war in Iraq from the safety of his think tanks, and it didn't work.

Put the suits on the ground, with rifle in hand, amidst the dangers of IEDs, RPGs, and other explosive devices, and guess what: you don't have the same suits making smug statements, as Rumsfeld did, of : "Well, we go to war with what we have, not with what we wish we had".

No, WE go to war, while you sit safely back in Washington.

Unbridled arrongance on the part of the President, Vice-President, and Secretary of Defense have put a lot of our men and women who serve in the military in hospitals and body bags.
    Looking at the military backgrounds of those 3 gentlemen, one sees that ....
    .......well, we go to war with what we have, not what we wish we had.
    Sal Palooza
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2006
    I love how some of you seem to think you know how to wage war in a foriegn land. Sorry, but you don't, so leave it to the experts. War is ALWAYS messy and will ALWAYS be questioned, during and for years, decades, and centuries later.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited November 2006

Unbridled arrongance on the part of the President, Vice-President, and Secretary of Defense have put a lot of our men and women who serve in the military in hospitals and body bags.

nicely said blue, but your last few sentences will be criticised a lot... thanks for starting thread: WWIII volume 2.;)
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • marker
    marker Posts: 1,084
    edited November 2006
    The strategy of how the war has been conducted up to this point was formed by Donald Rumsfeld, plain and simple.
    The military commanders on the ground have shown a lot of courage, not just by facing the enemy, but by openly stating that more troops are needed on the ground to secure Iraq properly. Why did that take courage ? Because this directly opposed Rumsfeld's philosophy of "lean and mean".

"We're listening to our commanders on the ground". BS.

Rumsfeld tried to run the war in Iraq from the safety of his think tanks, and it didn't work.

Put the suits on the ground, with rifle in hand, amidst the dangers of IEDs, RPGs, and other explosive devices, and guess what: you don't have the same suits making smug statements, as Rumsfeld did, of : "Well, we go to war with what we have, not with what we wish we had".

I nominate this for post of the year! :cool:
  • marker
    edited November 2006
    ND13 wrote:
    I love how some of you seem to think you know how to wage war in a foriegn land. Sorry, but you don't, so leave it to the experts. War is ALWAYS messy and will ALWAYS be questioned, during and for years, decades, and centuries later.

Maybe it will be now. ;)
  • marker
    edited November 2006
    ohskigod wrote:
    that man was screwed no matter what he did..LOL

True.
  • TroyD
    edited November 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    The problem is the 'bare minimum' part.....that aspect is why we're still there and will continue to be for much longer than we should......

Well, it's a catch-22. If we go in with 500K troops, we've got a couple problems.

1. You are REALLY an occupation force. Which would piss off the locals even more than we already have.

2. Cost. People are already screaming about the cost of the war. Quadruple the size of the force and see what happens

3. You actually prolong the turning over of things to the Iraqis. Rather than sink or swim, you allow them to paddle around the shallow end longer.

Be there much longer than we should? Lest ye forget we still are an occupation force in Japan and that's been, what, 60 years?

BDT
  • brettw22
    edited November 2006
    There will always be costs involved with war......but careless spending is where people get (and have become) truely pissed. When it's the equivelant of throwing bundles of money into a bonfire, there needs to be a check in place to fix the system that says burn all you want. If we spent a fraction of the amount of money that's been dumped (yes dumped) into the middle east, our country would be much better off. In fact, we might even have funding for a wall to secure a border.....hell......it might even be built already with that kinda money.

I'm not saying that we wouldn't still have a presence, but if we would have gone in hard and fast at the beginning, this process would be further along than they currently are. "Progress" stopped quite a while ago, and it seems that we're just treading water anymore. Treading water isn't getting things done, and it's not getting the Iraqis to step up either (at least, not nearly enough).
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2006
    Hmmmm. I guess I'm still wondering why we went into Iraq in the first place. No WMDs. It was all a lie.

So who has benefitted from this war? Well, we know Haliburton has. So have the oil companies.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited November 2006
    Rummy forgot (or didn't know) two of the main rules of warfare:
    One, the number of troops to occupy a country is FAR greater than the number to conquer. The Confederate Army under Gen. Lee never tried to occupy land, why, because his goal was attack and move. Our plan for Iraq was attack and move, occupation wasn't a thoughtout part of the plan. proof was evident from day one, when we would overtake weapons depot, put a new lock on the gate and move on. Why, because we didn't have the troops to occupy.

Two, know your enemy. We had no clue as how incredibly deep and festering the deep internal divisions between the Sunni's, Shi'ites, and Kurds were. Not to mention the critical importance of tribal allegiances. It's interesting to note that the Green Beret's have been working the tribal angle and have had the most success in creating stable pockets of outlying communities.

We can only hope that the mistakes of this war will be drilled into the heads of military leaders and their civilian overseers at the Pentagon forever.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited November 2006
    ND13 wrote:

Noel, you couldn't be more correct, which is exactly why we shouldn't be there in the first place. If you don't know what the hell you are doing, don't drag us into this muck.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • TroyD
    edited November 2006

And you know this how? Last time I checked, the buck stopped on the CinC's desk.
    The military commanders on the ground have shown a lot of courage, not just by facing the enemy, but by openly stating that more troops are needed on the ground to secure Iraq properly.

Do you agree with everything, to the letter your boss makes you do? Have you ever thought that you could do with more resources only for the boss to say no? Does that mean he didn't listen?
    Rumsfeld tried to run the war in Iraq from the safety of his think tanks, and it didn't work

Apples/oranges

Young people have always been the tools that old men make war with. Always has been, always will be. Truth be told, there is a LOT of truth to that statement. To which, a LOT of the truth in that statement is due to the actions of previous administrations.
    Looking at the military backgrounds of those 3 gentlemen, one sees that

Well, I would rather have someone who is confident and steadfast in thier convictions rather than someone who rules by public opinion. I'd also say that military service is irrelevant, to be honest. Historically, we've had good presidents and bad, military service doesn't seem to be the crucial thing.

BDT
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2006
    Early B. wrote:
    Hmmmm. I guess I'm still wondering why we went into Iraq in the first place. No WMDs. It was all a lie.

So who has benefitted from this war? Well, we know Haliburton has. So have the oil companies.

Oh JESUS. Did you copy and paste that from your favorite right wing conspiracy blog, or is it just part of your auto-text at this point? Honestly, hate the current administration all you want, but if you really think war is as cut and dry as someone wanting to make some money with Haliburton / oil interests, holy crap, just blow your brains out, PLEASE.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited November 2006
    IMHO. Battle plans work until the attack begins. We are up against a advisary that wishes to destroy us...physically or financially. The WMD issue was a setup by Iranian agents, took years to do but worked. Sadam is gone, a large portion of our army and navy is now in range of Iranian nuclear missiles. We need to do some things quick or we will get hit hard. Anybody want to fiddle.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • marker
    edited November 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Oh JESUS. Did you copy and paste that from your favorite right wing conspiracy blog, or is it just part of your auto-text at this point? Honestly, hate the current administration all you want, but if you really think war is as cut and dry as someone wanting to make some money with Haliburton / oil interests, holy crap, just blow your brains out, PLEASE.

OK, enlighten us all then. What was it really about?
  • marker
    edited November 2006
    .... We are up against a advisary that wishes to destroy us... financially.

We're doing a pretty good job of that ourselves.:( :mad: :o
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2006
    I was surprised by the sudden announcement.. but why resign so quickly? Was it because the shift in power changed?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited November 2006
    marker wrote:
    OK, enlighten us all then. What was it really about?

From your responses, you may still be young enough to join and go see for yourself what we are doing over there. It may answer some of your questions.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited November 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Oh JESUS. Did you copy and paste that from your favorite right wing conspiracy blog

right wing? your calling him a conservative:confused:
    or do I have my wings mixed up:p

Please Justin, delete this thread now before hell breaks loose!
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27