Upgrade Disappointing

Options
anthar
anthar Posts: 3
edited July 2002 in Troubleshooting
I just upgraded from a RM6200 with a PSW250 to R50 fronts, R20 rears, CSI30 center and a PSW350. I'm now considering going back to the RM6200. The problem I seem to be having is there doesn't seem to be as much low end bass with the new system as there was with the old system. I have a Yamaha HTR-5460 and have tried the new system in 2 configurations one setting my fronts to Small and placing the sub on the subout channel. The other is having the LFE go to the main and wiring the way I had the RM6200 series wired with fronts going to the subs crossover. Both seem to have the same results. I'm quite pleased with the High and Midrange of sound but just can't seem to get the bass. Any help would be appreciated. Also is it my imagination or was there at one time a pair of RT800's without the I. Thanks in advance.
Post edited by anthar on

Comments

• GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited July 2002
    Options
    That's actually quite unexpected.

This is going to sound pretty dumb, but have you tried turning up the volume on the back of the sub? Also, try boosting the sub level on the reciever if you use the pre-out. And if you do use the pre-out out, make sure you plug it in to the unfiltered "LFE" input on the back of the polk sub, as the filtered imputs will usually have a slighly lower output volume due to the filter. Other than that, I can't think of any reason you should experience a drop in bass going from the 250 to the 350.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited July 2002
    Options
    The only thing Id like to add to this is give the new sub some time to break in.Most subs out of the box sound horrible.

I own the psw450 and when I first took it out of the box,it was real dead sounding,it didn't seem to have any power at all.I let it break in for about 2 weeks before I set it up matched with the rest of my system.
    Then it happened......it started to come to life,exploding and pushing like I expected it to.It was broken in by this time and then I was able to set it up with the rest of the system.
    Be thankfull you didn't buy B&W.......they take forever and a day to break in,the longest Id ever seen in a speaker.

So again give it some playing time my friend.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2002
    Options
    that is much true when i first got my velo it was very weak and after a month it kept geting better and better the vc is very stiff and it needs to break in get loosened up that is y you should not play a speaker loud when you first get it
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited July 2002
    Options
    To answer your question about the RT800(i): Yes, the older version, without the "i", had a black vinyl finish and the 6.5" driver cones were black instead of blue.

Concerning the bass problem: I'd fiddle with the phase switch on the sub, if you haven't tried that already. Since the R50's will produce more bass in the range of the sub than the 6200 satellites did, you might be experiencing some degree of bass-cancellation now that you might not have noticed before. If you truely lost bass, it almost has to be a -cancellation, and/or room-interaction issue.

Jason
  • anthar
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I want to ask about room-interaction. My psw250 was behind my entertainment center pointing into a corner. The new one is pointing mostly into open space could this make a difference?
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited July 2002
    Options
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2002
    Options
    the old one was using the wall to prduce more bass aka the waves hit the wall and the wall becomes a big speaker to an extent
  • anthar
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I thought that was the case but didn't have a long enough cable. Went and bought a cable today and moved the sub to the other side.(were the original sub was) Made a world of difference. The sub now produces the amount of bass I was expecting to begin with. Thank you all.