Digital Camera's

MrNightly
MrNightly Posts: 3,370
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
My better half wants to get a digital camera for Xmas or thereafter. I found this site on MSN but I know we have several excellent photographers who reside within this board that could probably offer better advice.

Any recommendations for a Digital Camera that is under $500 and an all around good sturdy piece of equipment?

Thanks
Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
Stuff...

RTi12's - front
CSi5 - center
FXi3's - surrounds
RTi4's - surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
Denon 3805
Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

Post edited by MrNightly on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2006
    I found this website; http://www.steves-digicams.com/

very helpful when researching for my digital camera.
  • mikesd
    mikesd Posts: 43
    edited October 2006
    Hi Mr.Nightly. I own and operate a part time photography buisness and only use Canon equipment. Suggesting a model number would be tough not knowing the camera size your wife would prefer or what the main use would be. You might check here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&b=8&mnp=0.0&mxp=0.0&cmpsrch=&cltp=&clsgr=&shs=&ci=1082&ac=&Submit.x=8&Submit.y=3 as I have purchased most of my equipment @ B&H as they are about as good as it gets! Also this site is excellent for camera reviews, http://www.dpreview.com/

Mike
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited October 2006
    Save your money so you can buy my SVS when I upgrade:p

btw..........sure alot of Illinois polkies hanging around lately.
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited October 2006
    I own a Canon Digital Rebel and am very happy with it. I'm not dedicated to Canon, it just turned out that way. Add some decent glass and WOW.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2006
    ^^ agreed, but over budget of $500

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2006
    What ever Canon you can get for $500. Canon is the best digital camera i have owned, hands down.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2006
    Canon. Period.

I bought a $200 Canon a while back and it is an awesome camera! Its sold me on Canon as far as cameras go.

Stay away from Fuji. Had a weird experience with them and Ill be avoiding them.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited October 2006
    I agree with all above that Canon makes a great camera. All of my cameras including 35mm have been canon and I have nothing but praise for them.

As a side note Nikon is an excelent brand as well, and as much as I hate to say it......Sony makes a pretty good digital.:D
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited October 2006
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    ^^ agreed, but over budget of $500
    Nope. I purchased mine on ebay, used for under $500. Although it did take me 6 months to find the one I wanted and the price I wanted to pay.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited October 2006
    I've had good luck with my sony, until I dropped it. Got it fixed and is still a good camera. The canons, fujis, nikkons are all nice also. My boss recently bought a sony that is a 7 megapixel, it kinda looks like an slr but is not. It take beautiful pics, and can be blown up to insane sizes without pixelization.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited October 2006
    I bought a SOny A-100 and its amazing
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2006
    my g/f's canon keeps messing up. I'm an Olympus fan myself.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MrNightly
    edited October 2006
    opus wrote:
    Save your money so you can buy my SVS when I upgrade:p

btw..........sure alot of Illinois polkies hanging around lately.

Dang, don't start on that with me! I would be all over that. Make it next two years or so and it's mine!!! :D

Thanks for the tips so far guys... got some researching to do. Canon seems the flavor of choice around here. No specific models though? Interesting.

Edit: What about this one guys? SD600 Digital Elph

The SD630 looks pretty tight as well. Hmmm... I like it!
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited October 2006
    What are you (or the better half) going to photograph? The intended subjects should guide your purchase. For example, kids and pet subjects require a camera than can keep up with them. Also are you going to want to learn photography in the future and possibly use manual controls in addition to fully auto (point&shoot)? If so, grab a camera you can grow and learn with..

www.dpreview.com, www.dcresource.com, and www.imaging-resource.com are excellent sites for digicam reviews.

I'm a Canon user myself. Canon tends to offer a lot of features at all pricepoints; And of course excellent image quality.

For general photos, Canon A610 or A620 are outstanding cameras. If you can find them grab 'em. If not the replacement models the A630 or A640 are great choices but are at full price now because they are new
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • MrNightly
    edited October 2006
    Mike682 wrote:
    What are you (or the better half) going to photograph? The intended subjects should guide your purchase. For example, kids and pet subjects require a camera than can keep up with them. Also are you going to want to learn photography in the future and possibly use manual controls in addition to fully auto (point&shoot)? If so, grab a camera you can grow and learn with..

Mostly for family, kids, and ya know vacations and all that good jazz. An occasional sunset I'm sure, nothing too fancy. I'm not looking to become a pro or anything. Just a humble user that could use a dependable camera that takes excellent photos.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Mike682
    edited October 2006
    MrNightly wrote:
    Mostly for family, kids, and ya know vacations and all that good jazz. An occasional sunset I'm sure, nothing too fancy. I'm not looking to become a pro or anything. Just a humble user that could use a dependable camera that takes excellent photos.

The Canon elphs will be great cameras for you guys.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited October 2006
    I'm a Nikon guy, but if you plan on going the point and shoot route, go Canon. They have a better selection than Nikon.

If you go Digital SLR, Nikon or Canon. Again, I'm on the Nikon side (D200), so people on the Canon side will argue their brand.

It's the person behind the camera that is the biggest factor!
    No excuses!
  • MrNightly
    edited October 2006
    I like that A630! As well as the SD630. One question though, it seems RedEye is a huge problem. How do you guys take care of this issue? Is it a Canon issue or do all the other brands have the same problems?

John, what Nikon would you recommend that would be similar to the two mentioned above?

And yes, the person behind the camera makes all the difference!
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Mike682
    edited October 2006
    MrNightly wrote:
    I like that A630! As well as the SD630. One question though, it seems RedEye is a huge problem. How do you guys take care of this issue? Is it a Canon issue or do all the other brands have the same problems?!

Red eye is a problem with compact digicams because the flash is placed very close to the lens. It is a common problem with all compact digicam brands. Red eye is actually easily fixed in post processing (using camera software supplied with camera or other software like adobe).

Things that increase occurences of red eye are people with light colored eyes and photographing people in darker environments (wide pupils =red eye). The camera's pre-flash is supposed to make the pupils constrict so there is less red eye, but is hit or miss.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2006
    MrNightly wrote:
    Edit: What about this one guys? SD600 Digital Elph
    The powershots are really nice, that is what i own.
    OH, and B&H Photo's service is awesome. I have bought from them about a half dozen times. Great prices and delivery!!!!!!
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited October 2006
    I really like the images the svs puts out warm viberating colors.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited October 2006
    MrNightly, I'm not really up on the latest and greatest in P&S cameras, just the things I've read. Nikon makes nice P&S cameras, it's just that Canon seems to be putting more effort into their line.

Redeye is a problem when the flash (not only P&S cameras) is right above the lens. Digital SLR's that have popup flashes suffer also. The flash light hits the back of the eye that is full of blood vessels and comes directly back to the camera. Redeye reduction just doesn't work. I use a large flash unit on my D200 and sometimes raise it up higher on a flash bracket. This raises it several inches over the lens.

As others have said, go on dpreview.com. It's the best site on the web for reviews.

John
    No excuses!
  • KentVaughn
    KentVaughn Posts: 58
    edited October 2006
    The Cascio Exilim line is nice, especially the EX-Z850. It's point and shoot if you want something a tad less complicated.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited October 2006
    We are a Nikon family. I bought my daughter a D70 when she graduated from college and my wife uses my old Coolpix 5000.
    That D200 that john d. is using will be my next toy after the Halo 21.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited October 2006
    Another voice for Canon. I've had a digital Rebel for about 2 years and I love it. The SLR's sound like they're going to be a bit too much camera for your needs, but I would imagine that the durability and picture quality in my model trickles down to their point and shoots.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited October 2006
    +1 for Canon. I also have an Olympus but the Canon is, IMHO, much better.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited October 2006
    We use an Olympus 3MP it does the trick. I don't know why peopl go out and buy a 5 or 7 MP camera if they will never blow pics up.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited October 2006
    another vote for Canon. Higher MP means you have more freedom to crop photos without losing resolution which in turn gives you some extra "zoom" power.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited October 2006
    Phantom, good point, again providing you're into that. I was mearly saying for a run of the mill camera, snapshots of Uncle Bob's bday...and so forth. I believe 3mp would do the trick
  • hljones821
    hljones821 Posts: 35
    edited October 2006
    Take a look at the Panasonic Lumix Line, I have a big zoom (12x) 5 mp model FZ5. The photos are spectacular with the Leica Lens and Stability feature.
    2 Channel: Adcom GTP-450,Adcom GFA-555II,Denon DVD-1920,Denon DCD-610,Pro-ject Phono Box E, Music Hall MMF-2.3 SE with Music Hall Spirit, Klipsch RP-250f, Velodyne F-1200 sub

HT Rig: Mitsubishi WD-73642,HK AVR-2600, Sony BDP-S580, Polk RTi100, Polk R50s,CSi25 Center,SVS 25-31 PCi Sub NSD Upgrade