Yamaha R1100-U Receiver help request

Options
John in Canada
John in Canada Posts: 6
edited September 2006 in Troubleshooting
Hi everyone, I have a Yamaha R1100-U receiver ( about 10-15 years old ).

It powers up with all lites on front panel, but NO audio out -- just a regular popping or clicking through the speakers - about three clicks per second.

Any ideas? Does anyone know where I can download a PDF Technical or Service Manual?

Thanx. John in Canada
Post edited by John in Canada on

Comments

• Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    edited August 2006
    Options
    First thing that comes to my mind is failure of the relay that prevents the initial power-on pop/surge from going to the speakers. A friend who experienced such a failure simply put a jumper wire around the relay. Not a proper fix, but it did get the receiver going again. (And a something you could try to see it this is the problem.)

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • John in Canada
    John in Canada Posts: 6
    edited September 2006
    Options
    First thing that comes to my mind is failure of the relay that prevents the initial power-on pop/surge from going to the speakers. A friend who experienced such a failure simply put a jumper wire around the relay. Not a proper fix, but it did get the receiver going again. (And a something you could try to see it this is the problem.)

Cheers, Jim

Thanx very much, Jim. This sounds like it is an easy fix, if I can locate the relay. It might be tougher to actually find the replacement relay. Do you or anyone you know if there is a PDF version of the Yamaha RX1100-U receiver Technical/Service Manual with physical parts placement diagrams and part #'s and schematic? John in Canada
  • Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    edited September 2006
    Options
    John,

I don't know about finding manuals on-line, but it occurs to me that you could try to find that type of part on-line. Hopefully it would be accompanied by a picture, Then open up the box & look for something similar on the board. Otherwise, I'd just try to trace out the wiring & see what I could find.

Good Luck!
    Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Thanx very much, Jim. This sounds like it is an easy fix, if I can locate the relay. It might be tougher to actually find the replacement relay. Do you or anyone you know if there is a PDF version of the Yamaha RX1100-U receiver Technical/Service Manual with physical parts placement diagrams and part #'s and schematic? John in Canada

www.stereomanuals.com

www.vintagemanuals.com
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.