FS Carver AL-IIIs in Natural Oak

Options

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Ricardo, I sent ya a pm. I'll talk to ya later on today and we'll make arrangements.

Thanks
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I plan to place them by the 1.2 TL's and switch wires; time will tell which speakers get more listening time......maybe the starting point for a new rig..who knows.

So....ribbons..... For you guys that had/have these speakers, what should I expect, comparing them with the SDA's? How do they fill the room? How well do they disappear? Detailed? How critical is placement for them? What are their strengths? Is there a specific type of music that shines on them???? I hear they need a good amp...meaning power? How do they do with tubes?

I am looking for something "different", and hope I can get it with these; I enjoyed having my second tubed rig before I let it go, and depending on the mood I would listen to that or the SDA's; it is nice to have a good alternative.

I know...lots of questions; I never heard ribbons before, but I've heard of people saying they discovered music with them, and there's also people that hates them...it seems to be a love them or hate them thing....

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2006
    Options
    ribbons are in a different world from drivers, you will love them.
    Detailed like you won't believe, vocals will give you chills it's so good.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Ricardo
    edited September 2006
    Options
    hoosier21 wrote:
    ribbons are in a different world from drivers, you will love them.
    Detailed like you won't believe, vocals will give you chills it's so good.

Female vocals is one of my favorite materials...Diana Krall, Jane Monheit, Dianne Reeves, Norah Jones .....

Keep it coming...so far sounds great :)

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited September 2006
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    Female vocals is one of my favorite materials...Diana Krall, Jane Monheit, Dianne Reeves, Norah Jones .....

Keep it coming...so far sounds great :)

You hit the nail on the head for the Carvers! Female vocals and piano. Just you wait! ;) Acoustic guitar will also get your attention.

BTW Norah is mine! She sits in my lap when she's singing on my system. :D
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I had Norm's black Carvers when I was using a Parasound Halo A23. When I heard them originally at Rich's & we compared amps: the McAlister PP150 vs the Halo A23. The PP150 dusted it.

Norm bi-amped the Carvers with two PP150 amps and I was told the results were astonishing.

They produce a lot of deep bass and there is no comparison in the highs. The only place I felt the Carvers lacked in comparison to the SDA SRS 2's was midbass.

Norm had the idea that a Behringer EQ in place of the stock x-over could send more midbass to the woofers and take that load off of the ribbons. If that worked I'd say you'll be ditching your SDA's for the Carvers.

I was very close to purchasing them from Norm but I already had too many Polks taking up too much space. Now I have the Von's and I'm happy but the Von's cost a lot more than the Carvers.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Ricardo
    edited September 2006
    Options
    How much WPC does that PP150 pump?

SOPA
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,359
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Victor is spot on about the McAlister 75WPC tube amp. We tried the AL-III's with a Carver TFM-35 and the results were less than impressive. We tried them with the TFM-35 on the bass and the PP150 on the ribbons and again, nothing to write home about.

Placement wise, you can do the equal triangle or a 30/60, where you sit farther than they are apart. They are a dipole so placement to a back wall can be critical. Depends on how reflective your room is. They do need to be toed in towards you for best results.

For serious listening, I would pull them away from the wall about 3 feet or so. For everyday use, they were about a foot away and I attached some thick felt to the back side of the ribbon to reduce rear reflections.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Congrats on the sale Noel, gotta be the longest running sale and bumps in history.. patience is your friend.. :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Hahaha, it's a lousy friend for me, for sure. Always skips town just when I need it. :p
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited September 2006
    Options
    You hit the nail on the head for the Carvers! Female vocals and piano. Just you wait! ;) Acoustic guitar will also get your attention.

BTW Norah is mine! She sits in my lap when she's singing on my system. :D

If you think Norah is fine, check out her sister. I can't recall her first name, but her last name is Shankar, daughter of Ravi Shankar, Woodstock player and sitar god. She plays an incredible sitar herself and is absolutely stunning. A woman with beauty on the outside and expressed from the inside with an amazing instrument. She is high on my list. Check her out on the Tribute to George Harrison DVD which has superb fidelity on its own. You won't be disappointed!
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2006
    Options
    So....ribbons..... For you guys that had/have these speakers, what should I expect, comparing them with the SDA's? How do they fill the room? How well do they disappear? Detailed? How critical is placement for them? What are their strengths? Is there a specific type of music that shines on them???? I hear they need a good amp...meaning power? How do they do with tubes?

Like Russ said, it's a whole different world. They will fill the room plenty. Localization is eerie, it's so good. Unlike the SDA's, a piano won't sound like it's 12 feet wide, instuments will be almost touchable.

Placement is critical, and it's a ****. But when you get them dialed in...:D

They'll disappear nicely. The detail is nothing short of amazing. You have to experience it. They're good with alot of music genre, but are extremely so with accoustics, vocals, and orchestral/classical.

The design requires power. The ribbons are "full range" drivers with the woofer augumenting the low end. I've found a tube pre with lots of clean sand works out very well. You could probably do with a tube/sand biamp, but you should go with at least 75-100 WPC class A on the ribbons. It kind of depends on how you listen.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited September 2006
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    How much WPC does that PP150 pump?
    75 (tube) wpc. I just happen to have one I'm not using at the moment ;)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Ricardo
    edited September 2006
    Options
    amulford wrote:
    ..... Unlike the SDA's, a piano won't sound like it's 12 feet wide......

Bingo....if there was one complaint I'd have for the SDA's, it would be THIS. The piano traveling from left to right...it just does not make sense. I thought I was the only one....

SOPA
  • Ricardo
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Halo wrote:
    75 (tube) wpc. I just happen to have one I'm not using at the moment ;)

....meaning what?????? :)

Not right now.....I need to plan very carefully how I'm going to "sell" the AE-III's to my significant other....I asked Noel to keep them for 2-3 weeks for me to come out with a good strategy...

SOPA
  • audiobliss
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Congrats HT!!! Now all you have to do is prove a good strategist these next few weeks! :p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited September 2006
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    Bingo....if there was one complaint I'd have for the SDA's, it would be THIS. The piano traveling from left to right...it just does not make sense. I thought I was the only one....
    That's why my 1.2TL's are sidelined, and the AL-III's are in place for the last 4 months. Sometimes I do feel missing the very deep bass of the TL's, but my
    AL-III's don't have the upgraded subs.

-fredv-
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2006
    Options
    When I got my Carver Amazing Platinums a million years ago, right out of the box, no break in or nothing, it was apparent from the opening notes of Zappa's "Peaches & Regalia" that I had been listening to box coloration for all the years before that. The rest of the speakers incredible virtues became apparent as I re-listened to my entire music collection. Easily the wisest audio purchase I ever made.
  • Ricardo
    edited September 2006
    Options
    With all these comments, I think I will definitely not regret it...

Can't wait to have them here and hook them up.

Noel, MO dropped in the mail today; you should have it Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.
    Might pick them up next week...

SOPA
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Am I hearing the AL's singing with the Belles :-)

-fredv-
  • Ricardo
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Well, actually it will either be the AL's or the 1.2 TL's......

"Negotiations" with the boss have been going back and forth, and having "two huge pairs of speakers plus all those in the HT" is not something she is looking forward to...and to be honest, she's kind of right.

So, I think that I'll have to make a very difficult decision and keep only one pair; at least that's how it is looking now....we'll see....she likes the looks of the AL's A LOT MORE than the SDA's...meaning there's some weight on the balance now...

SOPA
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Amazings v. SDAs. For me, thats an easy decision.
  • Ricardo
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Shizelbs wrote:
    Amazings v. SDAs. For me, thats an easy decision.

I think I can read between the lines here......we'll see :)

SOPA
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Got the MO today.

Can't wait to have you over again, but excuse the mess, as I'm in the middle of remodeling the kitchen.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Ricardo
    edited October 2006
    Options
    TODAY??????

Wow...once again USPS surprises me....dropped it on Saturday.

No problem with the mess :)

I'm ready to come over; could be one of these nights if that's ok with you...if not then the weekend. I'll contact you first

SOPA
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hmm. How far away is OH? Could I drive that far for some SDA's? lol
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Who are you kidding?? Do you think Mom will let you drive there and she won't let you to the next state over?:D
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited October 2006
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:

Agreed as well on piano. It sometimes sounds a bit too warpy on some stuff. My only complaint on the big boys other than sheer size.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2006
    Options
    It's a really neat speaker, have fun!

There's a bunch of speakers that sound better than an SDA....but then it's all personal anyways. Some of the SDA stalwarts need to realize that there is another world out here, and humans now walk the earth.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Congrats Ricardo! I love to see these stay in our extended family:) Happy listening and good luck!
    Carl