Polkfest '06 - ideas

Options

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I'm sure that would be the hi-lite of the gathering!
    John

That would put a different light on the event for sure. ;)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I woundnt have a problem with a seminar on Hi-Fi. Im always up for learning more.

As for demo'ing, I like the idea of using just a select few pieces for much longer and more thorough demos. Id rather listen to 3 sets of speakers for 5 hours than 15 sets in 2 hours.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2006
    Options
    heiney9 wrote:
    .... Perhaps rather than everyone bringing their fave piece of gear, bring some demo music. Stuff that is stellar in your own system ....

Can I get an Amen? I can't tell you how many GREAT peices of music I might not have ever know about, if someone had not taken the time to bring them, and play them at an audio meet.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Russ - you have an Amen! Having lots of different music to explore would be great. I also agree with a previous post about those attending donating to help with the costs of the event. For those of us new to these events, I would ask that somehow it's clear who those donations should go to. Doug.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2006
    Options
    It's easy, just stuff some greenbacks in a glass in the kitchen cabinet (my fav technique) right before you leave. The master bath countertop works well also. Nice, because its informal, random, and they (the host) can't say no.

If you don't feel like doing that, just slip it to another member leaving something, and they'll make sure it ends up in the right hands. There is nothing formal, and certainly nothing required. I want to be clear on that point. Members that host, do so because they want to, there is never a 'cover charge'.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited May 2006
    Options
    perhaps a wadded up 20 fired from a slingshot aimed at Troy's noggin. your chipping in for the event, and having some good natured fun at the same time :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • keith allen
    keith allen Posts: 734
    edited May 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    Eff all that stuff, bring on the BBQ!
    When in Carolina,South that is,must be yella BBQ!Good stuff!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2006
    Options
    dkg999 wrote:
    Russ - you have an Amen! Having lots of different music to explore would be great. I also agree with a previous post about those attending donating to help with the costs of the event. For those of us new to these events, I would ask that somehow it's clear who those donations should go to. Doug.

Doug,

I appreciate the sentiment, however to clarify, no donations are requrired, requested or accepted. If you guys are willing to come, the least I can do is provide food and beverages. You want to contribute? Bring music to listen to, get to know the Polk bretheren. Etc etc...

Right on with the music aspect of it. I've got a decent selection of what I like. Bring what you like.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Too many polkies handling the gear can be very very bad, we have plenty of tales.

Whatever you want my host with the most and I have left a couple "donations" in the bath for you my little blossom.

seriously though guys, I had to force a Grant on him at 04 which he threw back at me, come have fun, relax enjoy spending time with two of the finest folks your ever going to meet.

rT1
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Agree with the semi-freeze on the gear swapping.

90% of the Fest equation is conversation with friends and music... As for any presentations, let them happen around the kegerator...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2006
    Options
    TroyD wrote:

I appreciate the sentiment, however to clarify, no donations are requrired, requested or accepted. If you guys are willing to come, the least I can do is provide food and beverages. You want to contribute? Bring music to listen to, get to know the Polk bretheren. Etc etc...

So does that mean I shouldnt bring a couple cases of fine import beer that I can get wholesale? ;)
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Wow Mac......he didn't say come and insult him......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Just bring what you feel like bringing, no need to advertise what it is, as that's not what it's about....you should donate because it's Polkfest.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • TroyD
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Definately bring the beer!!!!!!

I just don't want anyone to feel obligated in anyway to do anything but show up and have a good time.

BDT
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2006
    Options
    woosh!! Boy that's a load off my mind.. I had no idea what i should bring when i come up :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • TroyD
    edited June 2006
    Options
    No, Cliff, I'd feel really bad about basically taking food off your family dinnertable.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2006
    Options
    You don't look like it.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2006
    Options
    TroyD wrote:
    No, Cliff, I'd feel really bad about basically taking food off your family dinnertable.

oh.....SNAP :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Ok John is bringing "entertainment" (we hope), MacLeod is bringing beer...Faster100...well who knows....

I can bring some of my daughter's boyfriend's "stash" that was sort-of uncovered this last weekend. He won't be needing it since if he's still alive after his father gets through with him....I'll finish killing him.. Then and only then can he see my daughter again.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dorokusai
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Just burn him at the cross and get it over with, ya' big sissy.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    Just burn him at the cross and get it over with, ya' big sissy.

That too....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • faster100
    edited June 2006
    Options
    TroyD wrote:

Troy for god sakes man think !! :D

they will be in tow, so well get a free meal while we are there to make up for it, :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited June 2006
    Options
    You don't look like it.

He's just jealous, and afraid what would happen if i showed up.. I promise i'll go easy on ya Troy

Ya make one comment 6 months ago your low on dough and ya get an eternity of low taste jokes..

for the record i was never in financial ruins.. you made that part up.. :rolleyes:
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Any requests?

Newcastle is my favorite beer we carry. A nice English ale.

We carry over 200 packeages but a short list would be:

Bass
    Harp
    Guiness Draught
    Guiness Stout
    Sierra Nevada
    Red Stripe
    Dos Equis
    Warsteiner
    St Pauli
    Moosehead

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited June 2006
    Options
    MacLeod wrote:
    Any requests?

Bass
    Harp
    Guiness Draught
    Guiness Stout
    Sierra Nevada
    Red Stripe
    Dos Equis
    Warsteiner
    St Pauli
    Moosehead

Bring it all :D
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2006
    Options
    LOL! Those beers are $30-40 a case! And thats wholesale! I left off the expensive stuff like Anchor Steam for $60 a case of Lindemans Framboise which is $60 for 12, 12 ounce bottles!!!

• faster100
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Hey Mac,

I like Newcastle myself.. My fav actually for a treat.. so i vote for that, :)

I'll try to be there to woop Troys smart assed comments out of his huge head :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • dorokusai
    edited June 2006
    Options
    MacLeod wrote:
    Any requests?

Bass
    Harp
    Guiness Draught
    Guiness Stout
    Sierra Nevada
    Red Stripe
    Dos Equis
    Warsteiner
    St Pauli
    Moosehead

Hey, Stonehead...how about you do whatever you want of your own free will? You won't find many snobs at a Polkfest.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited June 2006
    Options
    What!?! No moldy cheese, cheap merlot or mahaganey pipes?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    edited June 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    What!?! No moldy cheese, cheap merlot or mahaganey pipes?

au contraire, mon frere.....

BDT