Polkfest '06 - ideas

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
Gang,

For those that plan on attending Polkfest, I'd like to get your ideas on things that you'd like to see, not see etc etc...

One of the ideas tossed around is having Leonard give a presentation on hifi. Now, Leonard is a super interesting guy with lots to talk about (the problem lies in getting him to be quiet ;) )....however, some have expressed concerns about sitting in on a lecture type thing as opposed to listening to music/gear. Which, I definately see the point of.

Anyhow, I just wanted to stimulate a discussion of what folks would like/not like in terms of format this year.....

Bring 'em on.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Although I appreciate your asking for ideas it's really up to you Troy. Is he doing this talk at your house or his? I would like to hear his ideas, I would put it on the agenda, those who find it not their bag need not attend the session, not a big deal.

Since its Polkfest, it seems logical the central theme would be Polk, the factory is sending their reps last I heard.

RT1
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I'd like to see those second rate wannabe's stay away from my girl.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I would like to hear a side by side demo or audition of the various tube CDP's. Jolida, Ah! Tojoe and Original or anything else. These players go for $500 - 800 and it would be an interesting side by side demo. Especially with some solid state amps and big SDA's, your 2.3's would do just fine. Maybe we have some Polkies that will volunteer their players for a demo. Cables and tubes of their choice.
    Carl

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,501
    edited May 2006
    Options
    troy, if you need my stock Jolida, then cool. actually i'll bring anything except the carvers and Bozaks (were driving down in Fireman32's toyota Yaris, not condusive to big speaker transport)

a presentation from Leonard would be cool. an hour or 2 wouldnt kill things overall in my opinion.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2006
    Options
    who is Leonard?

a presentation on Hi Fi would be pretty cool.. just so long as it's not mandatory... ;) and stays within a reasonable time is all.

Will there be a test afterwards? :rolleyes:

I think people are really interested in tube everything this time. I know I am. Tube amp, tube pre, tube CDP, tube TV??? :rolleyes: :p

I think there would be a lot of interest also in cables/wires. I'd like to hear some high end and see how them compare to what I use. I could bring or send some ahead of time.

And I don't really care to see RuSsMaN either. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

JK!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Eff all that stuff, bring on the BBQ!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I'd like to see another flexibility demonstration....:cool:

J/K. It's great of you to ask, but don't fix it if it ain't broke.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I'd like to see a demonstration of this piece of gear

attachment.php?attachmentid=11786&d=1130389582
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited May 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    I'd like to see a demonstration of this piece of gear

attachment.php?attachmentid=11786&d=1130389582

Whoa! Caught me off guard at work. :D
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Ooops!!!!!
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Chuck_Norris
    Chuck_Norris Posts: 36
    edited May 2006
    Options
    One of the most difficult pieces of equipment maintain, if I do say so myself.
    Booya!!
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited May 2006
    Options
    A presentation would be nice. I'm looking forward to sampling some tube gear, especially the Preamps and doing a/b demos of SS vs Tube. Anything else is simply a bonus in my book.

A discussion on the physics of Jesse's hair and Doro's ability to "get it on" with various shrubbery would be helpful also. This where my photography skills come into play. :D

John
    No excuses!
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,501
    edited May 2006
    Options
    cant go wrong, gear to play with and listen to. beer. food. general revelry is the order of the day
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Im all about a lecture and just listening to gear. As a newbie to this hobby i can hopefully learn alot. Plus i am looking foward to my frist polkfest and meeting everyone. -:)
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2006
    Options
    One of these years I'm going to make that trip.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Where's this PolkFest going to be held again? Would like to make the trip if possible. Anyone care for a little electrostat A/B?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Not to be all formal, and no, I don't want a schedule laid out, but I'd like to see less swapping in and out, and more listening. I want to get my ears on some gear.

For example, hook the Monitor 7's up for a couple hours dedicated, so my peeps can hear them, then onto something else vs putting them in and out, and in and out, etc.

I have ZERO interest in a/b'ing equipment, cables, etc. Listen to the Jolida CDP for a couple hours, then hook the Rotel / Arcam / whatever up etc.... I can't stand the 5 minutes on a peice, then disconnect, try another for 5 minutes, etc.

Other than that, keep Bruce out of the deviled eggs, and make sure big Flo makes plenty of tater salad.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Keep the input coming guys...

Here is my thought pattern, based in no small part to the input of others.

I agree, the gear swapping will be at a minimum. I plan on having three rigs up. Two of which, everyone needs to keep thier dickbeaters off. The third, we can do *some* swapping. However, in the past, we've not had the attention span to do any sort of decent a/b. Plus, that introduces the very real possibility of someone's gear getting dicked up.

The two cemented in rigs are the SDA 2.3tl's/sunfire tube pre/Philips SACD/Classe 25 and the AR9/all analog backend

As far as the 'seminar' goes, you know, I can go both ways with this but I'm leaning to not doing it in a 'formal' type setting. If someone from Polk wants to do a brief presentation about what's going on at Polk or talk about how some of the speakers were designed, I'm down with that. If Leonard wants to talk about how he recorded his CD and wants to demo it, I'm down with that too. However, I think a 1-2hr class type thing? Not so much. Again, too much shuffling in and out...plus that puts the gear demoing at a screeching halt. So, again, possible but I'm leaning against it.

We will NOT run out of food like last time, plenty o' deviled eggs and tater salad fo' sho'!

BDT
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited May 2006
    Options
    That sounds about best. a formal speech, no. I'm for picking brains.

As far as the gear swapping, I gotta agree with something along the lines Russ said. Maybe have one rig, and keep it open and easy to get to. How about the GAYrage?? (Eff the A/B-ing, I can do that at my leisure. Too much lost time, too easy to screw something up.)

BTW, Some where back Dave put the order in for sauages. I'll probably have like 10-15 lbs (or more). Might wanna get an extra gas bottle for the grill.
  • Strong Bad
    edited May 2006
    Options
    There are so many people on the forum I've never met in person, that alot of time may be spent BSing about non-audio related topics.

A little time picking Leonards brain, some tube gear sampling and ALOT of BSing with the fine Polk Forum folks makes for a nice weekend. Plus, I need some time on my own for some papparazzi style photo shoots to gather incrimiating evidence!

Since I have my own photography website, I can dump the photos there so all can view.
    No excuses!
  • TroyD
    edited May 2006
    Options
    John,

You bringing some of the local talent?

I can have a pole set up in the living room...

BDT
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I'd like to see those second rate wannabe's stay away from my girl.
    I don't know about you George, but she's been touchy feely with me at a fest before. I believe this is the singlemost reason she wanted the fest back this year.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited May 2006
    Options
    It's the "challenge" you represent amigo! Not the challenge to me, but the challenge to her. Keep me posted.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Ya know, we get a lot of free gropes.......this might be news to many of y'all, but us **** get more opportunities to test the real/fake feeling than most of you get to.........lol.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited May 2006
    Options
    amulford wrote:
    BTW, Some where back Dave put the order in for sauages. I'll probably have like 10-15 lbs (or more). Might wanna get an extra gas bottle for the grill.

With that much sausage, they'll be a lot of gas coming from ****:eek:

Carl
    Carl

• Strong Bad
    edited May 2006
    Options
    TroyD wrote:
    John,

You bringing some of the local talent?

I can have a pole set up in the living room...

BDT

I'm sure that would be the hi-lite of the gathering!

Another thought (unrelated to the pole) I had is contributing to the food and drink fund. I want to make sure I put my share of $$$ into the fund. As we draw closer, let's clarify this to make sure BDT & LSW (Little Smart Wendy) are taken care of.

John
    No excuses!
  • DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited May 2006
    Options
    amulford wrote:

Eff the gear and the demoing music,bring on the apple sausage! Cash in hand Antnee, cash in hand....:)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Ya know what, eff the BBQ, bring on the apple sausage.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I'm up for anything. Though I'd agree to stay away from a formal presentation thing. I'm just as anxious to shoot the **** with everyone as I am to get some listening in. To me the socializing/interacting is what's it's about. I say keep the swapping to a minimum and having 3 rigs set up sounds just about right.

Bring on the sausage

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Also just another thought. Perhaps rather than everyone bringing their fave piece of gear, bring some demo music. Stuff that is stellar in your own system just to see how it sounds different on another rig. Although I could see this getting out of hand because listening to 200 different songs could be an issue.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!