Lyrec Frida tape deck
    Post edited by SeleniumFalcon on
  • Buying a tape deck in 1964.

tykb8628w3as.png
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 2,398
    mj2xso1u048x.jpg
    fsaaes9c92ft.jpg

I took these photos today at a local Home Depot. This is a really small van.
    Any idea what it is? Probably foreign?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 14,564
    I have seen one of those before. When you say small? You mean it. The one I saw, you could fit 2 of them comfortably in one lane.....kinda small.

Never did find out what in the heck it was...I spotted it up at Lake Norman in NC about 2 years ago. Took a photo of it, it was so small.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

~ I have found excellence ~

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 5,580
    It's a Subaru Sambar.

They are often modded to look a bit like a Volkswagen bus.

g5dxv7m0oic7.jpg
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 14,564
    4.84 feet wide. Not even 5 feet. A typical semi is 8.5 feet, meanwhile a standard lane in America is 12 feet wide. You sure can fit two of these in a lane.....with a little room to spare. It's not advisable, obviously but if you have seen videos of how people drive in India and other countries? I bet it happens all the time.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

~ I have found excellence ~

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 19,242
    Man I bet with one person in it turning a corner it could tip over ..
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,396
    Viking64 wrote: »

8rm4gmivyidx.jpg

I just pooped!!!
    TV room- B&W 703, SVS PB10 NSD, Marantz NR1607, Parasound 1500a, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acrylic platter, Pro-Ject phono pre, MIT AVT 2 speaker cables, MIT AVT 1 and AVT 2 ICs, XLO Jumpers, Signal Dig Coax, Signal Cable Magic Power Cables x3, Samsung QN75Q7DR Qled 75" tv, Harmony 1100, Sony BDP-S6200, Marantz DV-4200 (as Transport), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic100, Monster 3600MKII, Nintendo Switch and Xbox 360 Family room Samsung 55JS7000 Android Mi Box3 and Apple TV, Polk Magnifi Max. - Pool /Gazebo Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk Patio 25x4, Rotel RDV 1045 (as CDP) MIT AVT3 ICs - Work - Spotify Premium, Neutron App or Amazon Music to my FiiO Kunlun into my Grado SR125e

• It was the fuselage of a Bellanca CD from 1919.

dwshonnp3e8v.png
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 24,680
    n9ifmxej21ky.jpg
    zgudhhit27bs.jpg
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 2,398
    VR3 wrote: »
    n9ifmxej21ky.jpg
    zgudhhit27bs.jpg

Maybe they mean a home theater makeover for a $30K home! :)
    Not $30K of gear shown in the photo!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,143
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    mj2xso1u048x.jpg
    fsaaes9c92ft.jpg

I took these photos today at a local Home Depot. This is a really small van.
    Any idea what it is? Probably foreign?

Japanize stuff. Pretty common over there.
    A couple guys had one in Okinowa back in the 70's.
    Those were even smaller. I seem to remember about 360cc motor?
    A front end hit and your knees took the brunt of it.
    I see a couple of the mini flat bed trucks driving around sometimes
    Downtown
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 27,909
    It was the fuselage of a Bellanca CD from 1919.

dwshonnp3e8v.png

Bellanca had has a long & storied history :)
    They were popular for aerobatics... and it seemed like they were almost always red.

I remember seeing Bellancas (usually Citabrias* -- "Airbatic" spelled backwards!) in the early 1970s when my father was (briefly) pursuing a private pilot's license at Bay Bridge Airport on Kent Island -- and, later, at what was then just transitioning from "Friendship International" to "Baltimore-Washington International" airport. BWI was much closer to our house; I grew up less than 4 miles from BWI.

________
    * I guess Bellanca purchased the company that made Citabrias in the very early 1970s)

• mhardy6647
    edited October 10
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 993
    edited October 10
    One of my first serious jobs (I had summer jobs as a Head Start teacher's assistant before) was working on a surveying crew for Maryland's roads department. Sometimes the crew would meet up in the morning at the old Friendship airport. I had to get up at 5:00 in the morning walk a couple of miles to the Baltimore beltway and wait for the crew truck under a bridge. Then the truck would drive to the airport's little restaurant where everybody would have breakfast. You could just park in front of the terminal (especially if you were in a yellow state van) and walk anywhere you wanted. I think there was one cop, maybe two standing around.

s9i4o9y5evn7.png
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,155
    edited October 10
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 19,242
    That's a hot deal Ken! Why are you waiting?
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 8,354
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Today, I just made some upgrades to the Facebook fusebox to ensure we don’t have any more outages.

6xvrkkw4ui7u.png

Sometimes, people are shocked at my electrical skilz.

Tom

Most excellent.
    The use of threaded nipples helps to dissipate heat under heavy load conditions.
    If possible in the future use brass
    MrBigBlueLight
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 10
    Oh, I knew that old airport very well. My father and I spent many Sunday afternoons on the (open-air) observation deck, just watching, listening & smelling ;) the aircraft comings & goings. Heck, in those days, wandering down towards the general aviation area, one could walk right out onto the tarmac.

50243676093_e9def5fcfe_b.jpgAirport Observation Deck by Baltimore Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, on Flickr

BWI/Thurgood Marshall has a Flikr account with some pretty cool images (if one is into the whole airport/planespotting thang, that is).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bwi_airport/

As a really odd aside, when we lived in B-more, after we got married, my wife & I went to church with an older couple named the Chilcotes (I think that was the spelling). The husband, Bruce, was the retired manager or director or whatever the title would have been of the Baltimore airport.

Interestingly, in the days when it was "Friendship", the Baltimore airport was owned by the city of Baltimore, even though it was (is) in Anne Arundel County (albeit only by a few miles). The airport was city property, and managed and even (if memory serves) even policed as such. It was kind of a weird thing.

3418635500_c4ed94488c_z.jpgFriendship International Airport by Baltimore Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, on Flickr