Behringer Truth B2031A

Options
13»

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2006
    Options
    At near-field, The Behringers had a 180 degree sound field with music, which is about what I expected at a nearfield... it placed instruments/vocals in that type of manner.

I mean, imagine if there was two guitarist, and instead of sandwhiching one between the far left guitarist and the singer in the center, you put the far left guitarist like to the left stage (parallel to your ear) and put the one that would be in the middle to the place the far left guitarist usually would be.
    Very nearfield listening starts approaching headphone listening, which present pretty much the imaging I think you are describing in your second paragraph...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited April 2006
    Options
    SK,
    I appreciate it. Ive owned and heard alot of speakers, and I dunno - Ive just come to ignore "uses", "cost" and "brand" - they really are...meaningless in the end..

Now sure, I have better placement, Im running a preamp instead of a mixer - but Im sure 90% (if not higher) of the monitors you've heard were on a mixer and not a preamp...
    I mean, ya know...

At that time is was Tascam ADAT or 2" tape output to $100,000+ >108db SNR console. . quite different from a $250 Gemini or NuMark.

I understand that you think that a mixer is noisy, but like home products where there is a difference between low and high end, there is a difference in mix-amps and gig-gear and the Studio gear in the Pro arena. There is almost no measurable noise. There should be None that you would hear.

Most Sudio Monitors usually have a low Mms and Xmax, with an efficient motor structure and are either small full range single driver (old school Fostex) or 2 way with a extended freq response woofer crossed much higher than most home speaks. This usually produces the desired nearfield imaging that is the goal of a monitor. What you have may not be in that category.

For what it's worth, I've crossed the line Pro/comsumer line with gear and each side would look at me funny. . . .>>>. . wife wonders why there is a 6Ft EV bass cab in the living room.:mad:
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I heard a set of JBL studio monitors I liked at close range. Have you compared the Behringers to any other brands yet?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Nah - the Behringers are cheap and sound amazing.

Fact is, the Behringers sound great - have some volume restrictions...

But Im working 6 days a week + school... Little to no time man... 300 buck spooks over 1000 sp/amp combo makes more sense - and they sound better, in my small room.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I mean, imagine if there was two guitarist, and instead of sandwhiching one between the far left guitarist and the singer in the center, you put the far left guitarist like to the left stage (parallel to your ear) and put the one that would be in the middle to the place the far left guitarist usually would be.

Did you say SDA?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • VR3
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I dont want to step on any toes now... ;)

But Ive heard SDA and thats not how they imaged, to me -

And if that is how they image, I dont want nothing to do with that. I like VERY strong center images.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Sid, not to be argumentative, but SDA's work to cancel out a natural byproduct of the limits "stereo" reproduction imposes during playback. Properly set-up SDA's should convey the most realistic spatial cues if the recording isn't 'effed up during mixing/mastering. I think people sometimes lose site of what SDA is and how it works.....not you specifically, but others on this board who haven't been around SDA's alot. Many people have misconceptions about how SDA's were designed and what they can do. That being said they certainly aren't for everyone, that's what choices are all about.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • VR3
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Well I know about SDAs like the back of my hand - had the product and idea shoved down my brain for like 4 years...

Its a great idea, I just...havnt heard a pair yet that I liked (atleast not enough to go out and buy a pair, Ive thought about it though a few times)... Ive only heard the TOTLs too - 1.2TL and SRT, but that also may be the problem. They are great speakers, sound magnificant - but they just dont do much for me. Ill take the forward center image and small stage anyday over that expansive sound the SDAs have, even if it is more "seperated"...

But like I said, I have very different theories as to how my stereo should sound than most people, I have completely different goals. Ive already tried the thing everyone else said was great and I hated it. So I started looking at what people said was horrible - which I ended up liking.

SDAs are great, but yeah - definitely not my cup of tea.

Now that I think about it, I cant stand headphones either, nothing annoys me more than someone talking in my head... lol
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Don't judge all SDA's by either your Dad's rig (not good placement) or Polk HQ (pretty much the same plus no upgrades). At least keep an open mind through mid-october or so...

max,
    You talking L-100's or other JBL?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • VR3
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Oh yeah man...

Im definitely looking forwards to hearing a properly setup pair - dont get me wrong at all. But so far, I havnt heard a pair that tickled my fancy...lol

You know how it is though, you have to go off of what you've seen and heard...
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited May 2006
    Options

Now that I think about it, I cant stand headphones either, nothing annoys me more than someone talking in my head... lol

Does this happen often, and if so, is there usually nobody else in the room?

:D
    -Ignorance is strength -