Behringer Truth B2031A

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,054
edited May 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
http://www.behringer.com/B2031A/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Features -
- Ultra-linear frequency response from 50 Hz to 21 kHz with individual frequency diagrams
- Built-in 150- and 75-Watt power amps with enormous power reserve
- Ultra high-resolution ferrofluid-cooled tweeter
- Long-throw 8 ¾" woofer with special polypropylene diaphragm and deformation-resistant aluminum die-cast chassis
- Controlled dispersion characteristics and extremely large “sweet spot” owing to the unique BEHRINGER wave guide technology
- Active crossover network with 4th order Linkwitz-Riley filters
- Adjustable to a wide range of acoustic conditions and subwoofer operation
- Separately controlled limiter for low and high frequency overload protection
- Automatic standby mode (defeatable)
- Magnetic shielding allows placement near computer monitors
- Delivered as “matched pairs” with individual frequency diagrams
- Low-vibration and environment-friendly E1 MDF cabinet
- Servo-balanced inputs with XLR and ¼” TRS connectors
- Conceived and designed by BEHRINGER Germany

$339.00 A Pair

B2031A_medium.jpg

I am now working at a Music Store called Music N' More (Concord, NC) (Anyone local, stop on by and Ill sell you anything - we sell Feedback Destroyers and these lil Gems and anything else youd need)

Ill give you guys a review later, but let me just go ahead and say these may be one fo the biggest values Ive ever come across.
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Sid -- where the hell have you been? Just thinking about you 'cause I'm putting poly on my new speakers as we speak.

Good to see you landed a gig at a music and hifi store.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • VR3
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Just getting the hell away from here man. I know that sounds bad, but its just gotten old. I needed some time to myself to sort some crap out and what not. I doubt you will see me around to much, but I can always be reached elsewhere -

Which new speakers are we talking about? What did you pick up? Details man!

Thanks, Im enjoying it so far, Ive been learning so much about instruments and what not - tons of crap and alot more to go.

The cool thing is I can get these killer speakers at cost. Dude, you should go to your local Behringer dealer and audition these things (in home) right now...

For what they cost, they are a steal.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited April 2006
    Options
    German design with China build....

Behringer is the real deal, I have some musician friends and everything i have seen from Behringer is very nice.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I doubt you will see me around to much, but I can always be reached elsewhere -

We had to endure you for 2+ years of zany questions and frantic posting and now that you've finally gained enough knowledge to share some of it, you're off to other things. Oh well, I quess we all have to leave the teet sometime. Good luck!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Audio Store Sid.... has a nice ring to it. Congrats, Lil' Bro...

Don't worry about, Jesse. It's just the early stages of "postpartum depression". As one who has needed and taken numerous breaks, I know where you're coming from. And it appears to me that you are sharing some of your new found learning.

Looking forward to your review...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Early B.
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Which new speakers are we talking about? What did you pick up? Details man!

No big deal -- just three cheap **** BIC center channels for my front soundstage. They sound very good, though.

I'd love to check out those Behringers, but you gotta tell us what you like about them. How do they compare with the Polk RTi's or Lsi's? Looking forward to your review. What else does your store sell?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• VR3
    edited April 2006
    Options
    The Behringers pretty much kicked my DT's ****$ man... I mean, I don't know how to say it any better.

They have a massive soundstage that is very clear and seperated - every instruments have their own body. What they really excelled in was the vocals and drums - the drums were astouding at the body and detail they possessed - I could clearly hear the toms and the cymbals at any volume.

The singer, unlike my DTs had "prescence" - very forward away from everything else and just...tons of body and clarity...

I mean I dont know what to tell you, everything is so rich, detailed, clear - defined, for their price - you CANT/WONT beat them. You dont need an amp for them either. For 340 a pair - they are a steal.

Im getting them for 230...

We sell mostly instruments (Guitars, band, drums, etc etc etc etc - any you can think of) and PA equipment/recording equipment.

These are "studio monitors" - they are called the Truth speaker because their response is very flat, designed to be very neutral while being very revealing.

As soon as I plugged them up, I knew it was pretty much impossible to go back to my DTs...

As for comparison to the RTi line? Thats a joke - there is none. The RTi line couldnt hold a candle to this par of speakers.

The LSi line would be close, but Id put my money on these monitors man... Id have to do an AB comparison, but I just dont see the LSi's being a comparison - especially since you are getting dual amps (150 = lows, 70 = highs) with toridial transformers and a massive 8.75" woofer and an amazing tweeter for basically nothing compared to what we spend on speakers.
  • VR3
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Why are you putting a clear on them Early? Arnt they a vinyl?
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Well you got me interested!

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Aren't those studio monitors? From what I know those are for near field listening to mix music. It's been my understanding that they are great in a near field situation but unlike home audio speakers loose "it" very quickly when you move more 2-3 feet away from them.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Sounds like these would make solid computer speakers... I'll recommend these the next time someone asks for a purely 2.0 computer based setup.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • VR3
    edited April 2006
    Options
    They are "near-field" speakers, and I honestly cant say they are losing anything - they are some of the best speakers Ive heard for the price...

Also note that Im sitting about 5-6 feet away...

The imaging far surpasses anything thats been in this room as far as definition (stability) and seperation, they are far from "falling apart"...

Their near-field staging is flat out amazing as well..

These are something you should give a try, 100%
  • heiney9
    edited April 2006
    Options
    We have a brand new "Guitar Center" store that just opened in town and I know they carry a full line of Behringer studio gear, so I'll go do some investigating.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • VR3
    edited April 2006
    Options
    While I am talking out of my rear... ;)

There is absolutely nothing on these speakers that would make them stage/sound different than home monitors at a distance.

I have heard these things at a near field location (1 foot away) and their staging was astouding, but when placed farther away they staged just like normal* speakers do - they just do it amazingly with tons of width and depth and seperation...

The speakers have alot of switches on the back...

There are switches for different type of placements you would put them in, they also have tweeter and bass switches (to lower the volume or boost it), and you can also turn either driver completely off (for whatever reason)...

All I can say is give these things a try, for 340 bucks - what do you have to lose?

All I advise is - take them home. The mixer at the store I work at vieled their sound tremendously. Once I got them home and put them on my B&K and Onix gear, they opened up tremendously...

Note they only accept 1/4" plugs and XLR (I am using XLR)...
  • VR3
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Dude, thats NOTHING compared to what you, me, others have spent on speakers and amps.

Thats 340 bucks for the amps and the speakers. Basically four amps (two mono blocks per channel)
  • heiney9
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I'm old school and I've never been around gear designed for studio use that does well in the home application, so I am very skeptical, especially of genuine studio monitors. So pardon my apprehension. All the switches, settings, and 1/4 jacks do nothing to bolster my confidence. I completely understand what the switches etc are for, but.....

Funny thing is me and a buddy went to the Grand Opening of the Guitar Center store and he saw a pair of Behringer (not sure if they were exactly the same model) looked at the price and he wanted to use them at home. I told him they were for studio mixing and he could do much better buying proper home audio speakers.

So who knows......I've never seen/heard a pro piece of gear that performed as well as well designed home piece of gear. Two completely different applications and different results. I'm just going to have to give it a shot myself before I say positively it's a bad thing.

H9
  • VR3
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Hmm,
    I know alot of people on S&V like the Mackie studio monitors for Home Use, and the Behringer truth series was built based on the Mackies...

But I would try to see if you can take them home, I wouldnt go off a store demo...
  • VR3
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Youre a sick dude.
  • Early B.
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Why are you putting a clear on them Early? Arnt they a vinyl?

To make them nice and shiney...is there any other reason?

I'd love to hear those Behringers in a home setting. I wonder how "musical" they are.

When it comes to audio gear, I stopped being a skeptic a long time ago.

I'd like someone to explain the difference between the application for a studio monitor and a bookshelf speaker built for the home. The reason I'm asking the question is because I've seen a few "high end" bookshelf speakers boasting about being used as studio monitors.

• VR3
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I just did a quick read...

Studio Monitors are eqd' for a flat response...

So at farther distances they have limited volume...

Seems like the max distance for a studio monitor in a home setting is like 8-10 feet...

How does that vinyl look with a clear coat?
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Please forgive my ignorance but I thought that all good speakers were designed for a flat response.

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • Early B.
    edited April 2006
    Options
    How does that vinyl look with a clear coat?

Great.

Max distance for a studio monitor is 8 - 10 ft.? Shouldn't be a problem for most of us critical listener types in a typical room. Correct?

Flat response? That's a design goal for lots of speakers on the market, isn't it? Not sure, just tryin' to get some learnin'.

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Damn Sid. Congrats on your new monitors. Is it possible that the Def Tech may outperform them in a larger room? Maybe you're getting too much reflections in a small room?

How loud can they go? I wouldn't mind giving them a shot one day. The price is very attractive. Very cool how you'll only need a source and pre to run them.
  • VR3
    edited April 2006
    Options
    You would be surprised at how the goal for most oem mainstream speakers is not a flat response, but to get you to buy the product in the store.

ALOT of speakers you see in CC, Tweeter, the works is designed to grab your attention right off the bat. This trait is a brighter top end and a punchier low end. This is something you generally do not want most of the time for music, but great for HT and grabbing the attention. Bose is great at this...

Studio Monitors are like ruler flat I believe, the transition between the mids and highs with this speaker is amazing, the active xover was designed brilliantly...

The DTs, in a large room would kick their tail, no doubt... The BP10B is a great speaker through and through, but these Behringers are doing the job for alot less and doing it better (for my small room)...

I dont like powered towers (half passive, half powered) - eff that, but all the way? I love that, and I love the switches, I thought Id never say that - but you can completely customize this speakers sound with the room.

I am going to get a pair tommorow or order one, I am running a floor model right now that i have to return tommorow...

I plan to get some 8' XLR from Signal and some 8' power cables from Zebra. (Eventually) - Along with some higher end stands from Dayton.

If you like it REALLY loud, which I sometimes do for some songs I really like - you will have to run a subwoofer. You will also have to turn the low frequency switch to -6db... Which makes them sound better regardless..
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited April 2006
    Options
    intresting find Sid.

I'll be looking into these my next room is tiny. I'll be looking at the passive version though since I have amplification. I have a dealer that doesn't have these on hand, but well I'm sure he can get it so I can listen.

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Studio Monitors are eqd' for a flat response...

Just a counter point.....a flat response does not always make for a musical speaker.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    Just a counter point.....a flat response does not always make for a musical speaker.

Amen. A studio "monitor" utilizing a flat response is for a purpose, not because it's the best.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • heiney9
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Last word on the subject from me, because I'm not debating. Studio/Pro gear rarely makes itself worthwhile for home use. It has been this way for along time. Two completely different set of expectations and executions. Same fact for home gear, it rarely makes itself worthwhile as studio/pro gear. It's just a fact. Glad you are enjoying those speaks Sid.

H9
  • VR3
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Interesting - most recording studios use Home speakers for their mix.

I never said a flat response made them musical. I just explained the difference - since it is eqd' - it has some volume restrictions. Main difference.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I'm genuinely curious as to why on one hand flat speakers are bad, but at the same time tone controls and equalizers are to be avoided at all costs as well...

On the surface those would seem to be polar opposites.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD