Carver Amazing Platinum on Ebay in WA state

Options

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Mike, thanks for the tips, but its not the wire. Not in my rig anyways.

Its not the surrounds either. Woofs are a couple years old, tops.

Okay, I'll futz with the placement, but the thing is, I've already futzed with it. I'm sure its not enough, so I'll mess with it some more. I can already tell that changing my listening position from where my speakers are now makes a very big difference. Sucks as my favorite spot is behind my weight bench a good 20 feet away. This is the 2nd room they are in, and they already sound far better in the new room. However, when they made the move, I introduced a number of new cables and used a 20 amp power source. Too many new variables to blame it all on the room. Anyways, thanks. I guess I'll stop worrying about it being my wimpy 250w/ch amp.
  • DiscoMike
    DiscoMike Posts: 114
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Shizelbs wrote:
    I guess I'll stop worrying about it being my wimpy 250w/ch amp.

WOW !!! That sure makes my 165 watt per channel amp look like a tree-hugging sissy !!! (Im sure your amp puts out clean fidelity. I know mine does !!!)
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Alright, well, a big thanks to yous guys. Placement was the issue. I knew that it was something that can affect the sound, and that I would mess around with it someday, but I guess I needed a swift kick to the ****.

Good lawd. These speakers put out a ton of bass. I mean, an absurd, ridiculously perfect amount of bass. When I finally got them in the first adequate position it was like, where is that really good subwoofer hiding? I was very happy. My wife asked me why I was smiling like an idiot.

Anyways, I moved the speakers about 3 feet from the back wall, instead of their typical 8 inches. I toed them in also. I am by no means done with moving them around and finding the spot I like best, but I know of at least one spot I can live with. Fortunatly, for being huge, they are pretty easy to move around.

The other thing I noted when I moved them off the wall as much as I did, the soundstage got narrower, but really really deep. Pretty neat.

Anyways, thanks. My speakers rule.
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I guess I should add that just overall, I was suprised at just how much of a difference placement alone could make. I knew it could change things a lot, but even still, last night I was suprised at the total transformation of my system just by moving the speakers a mere three feet.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Yeah, they are some of the pickiest bastads. Placement, toe in, angle of stance, listening position... Between that **** and the power they need...

But when you get 'em dialed in:D :D:D

Do you have a manual for them? Lemme know, I'll scan mine for you...
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Not only do I have the manual, I have the whole three ring binder of information made for salespeople.

Thanks though.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Fortunately, we are not a bunch of "I told you so's".... ;) Glad you've gettin' them now.
    Shizelbs wrote:
    Not only do I have the manual, I have the whole three ring binder of information made for salespeople.
    So the question now is, "Do you have a scanner?"
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Tour2ma wrote:
    "Do you have a scanner?"

oh dear lord, share the info, spread the LOVE!!!...LOL
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2006
    Options
    We'll see about that. Yes I do have a scanner, but there is a lot in that binder. I'll take a look at it tonight and sort out what is interesting.
  • ohskigod
    edited March 2006
    Options
    yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2006
    Options
    :D

these were just relisted on ebay again. Washington state..... local pick up only.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARVER-AMAZING-LOUDSPEAKER-PLATINUM-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ9705678496QQcategoryZ14993QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong with posting links it would be a tremendous help. MY links suck)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited March 2006
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    :D

these were just relisted on ebay again. Washington state..... local pick up only.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARVER-AMAZING-LOUDSPEAKER-PLATINUM-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ9705678496QQcategoryZ14993QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong with posting links it would be a tremendous help. MY links suck)

When replying to a thread, Scroll down to "misc options". There are 3 boxes. Show signature, automatically parse links in threads and disable smilies.

Make sure there is a chcek mark in the box for "automatically parse links". If there is already a check mark there, then I'm not sure. Actually you should be able to back and edit your post, but you have to go under the advanced options.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2006
    Options
    In 1991, the Platinum Mk.IV's in oak were $2,300 MSRP, and in black lacquer they were $2,700. That is the most expensive they ever were, and at that time, they were a "special order" and only being manufactured on a "as needed" basis.

Mine were delivered here from the factory in 1991 for $1,156.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Gotta love AAFES:D :D :cool:

George, I got out of the AF iin 1990 and AAFES was carrying some pretty nice gear at that time. I had HK seperates that a friend of mine had brought back from Okinawa , but was drooling over all the Carver gear I could get through AAFES. The pricing was great, but once a year, they would have an electronics blowout on base and bring in truckloads of gear from all kinds of manufacturers and the prices were crazy stupid. Man I miss those sales.

Are they still carrying good stuff?

Do they still have those sales every once in a while??
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I did not purchase my Amazings through AAFES. They had nothing to do with it. I purchased them directly from Carver Corp. in 1991.

The stuff at the exchange now is less than pathetic.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited March 2006
    Options
    That was a hell of a deal you got on those. I was still into acoustic suspension speakers at that time, but I probably would have gotten a pair if I could have gotten them for that.

I remember the Amazings as being an order only product, but they did have several of the components on hand, seperates and recievers. All that gun metal, magnetic field gear. I still wouldn't mind having an all Carver rig someday, just to have something that I wanted so badly back then. It could be done fairly reasonably, now. The problem would be finding exactly what I'd want and in the condition I'd want it in. But I guess it could be done slowly, a little at a time.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • danger boy
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I asked the seller for a demo.. he said they're all ready packed up for shipping. so no demo for me. :(

although one of the buyers interested does live in the area. so maybe the buyer would let me demo them. ha ha ha
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Pick up local, no demo?????????

Danger Will Robinson.

RT1
  • danger boy
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Pick up local, no demo?????????

Danger Will Robinson.

RT1

I know.. it's eff'ed up! that's the response I get from a lot of local people here. NO one likes to demo ****. I found a forum with several local peeps who are into HT and CA. I've emailed some of them.. and got a response back. Those who did respond all had lame excuses like.. "I can't, I have college finals this year"? One guy said when school was out he "might" have enough time to demo some gear.. but then he doesn't live here and will be leaving the area when school lets out. :confused:

anyway. that's my rant for the day.

move along, single file.. nothing to see here. :p
  • danger boy
    edited April 2006
    Options
    "The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the listing"

are these ever going to sell i wonder? :confused:
  • danger boy
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I emailed the seller again. I wanna know why he pulled the auction on these Carvers.
  • danger boy
    edited April 2006
    Options
    looks like these Carver Amazing Plats are sold.. seller did say that shipping em was becoming a PITA though.
  • danger boy
    edited April 2006
    Options
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CARVER-AMAZING-LOUDSPEAKER-PLATINUM-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ9707263226QQcategoryZ14993QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the seller has had a bad run of luck with buyers backing out several times... guess shipping costs have changed their minds.
  • ohskigod
    edited April 2006
    Options
    is this god's way of telling you something? :D

maybe they're waiting for you.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited April 2006
    Options
    DiscoMike wrote:
    -an SDA Amazing Speaker consiting of cones and ribbons ?

They're already out there and in use. It's called using a Carver C-9 on your Amazings.;)
  • DiscoMike
    DiscoMike Posts: 114
    edited April 2006
    Options
    No No, I dont have the Amazings, only Polks. The question is, would Polk make a speaker consisting of ribbons and cones, and call it - The SDA Amazings, SDA-SRS Amazings, or better yet, the SRT Amazings. :D
    If they start calling it the RTi Amazings, Im outta here :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!

I wonder how the SRTs would compare to the amazings :eek: .
  • Shizelbs
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Al, if you can, find a way to swing them. Those are in great shape.
  • danger boy
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I'd have to sell the SRS's to be able to fund any speakers in that price range. Not that I haven't given it some serious thought over the weekend. I'm just not sure If i have the room for speakers taller and wider then the SRS's.

Anyway, who would want a pair of SRS's with updated tweeters??? :p
  • whitetruk
    whitetruk Posts: 308
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Anyway, who would want a pair of SRS's with updated tweeters???

you funny
    I thought it was fairly amusing also. The Polk Ogre doesn't always get 'it'
  • danger boy
    edited April 2006
    Options
    sold again for BIN $1,650.00

and it wasn't me. :(