Carver Amazing Platinum on Ebay in WA state

Comments

• DiscoMike
    DiscoMike Posts: 114
    edited March 2006
    heiney9 wrote:
    FWIW,

Electrostatic
    Literally electricity that is not in action, otherwise known as static electricity, which is technically an electrostatic charge. Anytime one surface or point has an electric charge relative to another you have electrostatic energy, which is a form of potential energy. Electrostatic is also a type of transducer design. Most widely employed in loudspeakers, electrostatics (as they are often called) are built somewhat like a large capacitor. There are two plates, one of which can move. A DC bias voltage is applied to them to create an electrostatic charge. Then the AC audio signal is applied, and the interaction between the resulting (alternating) magnetic field and the electrostatic field forces the movable plate to move back and forth. Some audiophiles consider this a more pure and better sounding method of reproducing audio than our typical moving coil dynamic loudspeaker designs. However most tend to be quite expensive and it is debated whether there is an overall improvement in sound - many electrostatic speakers are characterized as having little or no bass punch. In fact separate subs of standard moving coil design are often employed as a workaround for this.

Ribbon Speaker
    The ribbon loudspeaker consists of a thin metal-film ribbon suspended between two magnets. The electrical signal is applied to the ribbon which vibrates creating the sound. The advantage of the ribbon loudspeaker is that the ribbon has very little mass; as such, it can accelerate very quickly, yielding good high-frequency response (although its shape is far from ideal). Ribbon loudspeakers can be very fragile but recently designed planar tweeters have the metal film printed on a strong lightweight material for reinforcement. Ribbon tweeters often emit sound that exits the speaker concentrated into a flat plane at the level of the listeners' ears; above and below the plane there is often less treble sound.

H9

Exactly what I was going to say. Word for word. :D
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2006
    I know not what bags of wind blow through this space yet sense its howling misdirection.

RT1
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited March 2006
    I know not what bags of wind blow through this space yet sense its howling misdirection.

RT1

RT1 your quite the thespian. Had any Rum yet tonight?
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2006
    Wow. That was interesting to read. Only took me three times to understand what he meant, too! :p
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • reeltrouble1
    edited March 2006
    Yes H9, thank you, I just made my third. I am relaxing, tommorow I am spending the day alone in my little world, so I am getting sauced tonight, just a bit, a tad, not alot, bout a ha'penny, a taste, two fingers times six, Kleine, poco, Ok, maybe a medium amount. I need to eat a hens egg. Rum is a wonderful drink.

Speakers are cool.

Bliss--before you leave that wonderful world of education, knowledge and so on, drop by your library and pull out some old worn and tattered reference on Gestalt.

I no not what body may travel this road yet a bag of bones once did pass.

RT1
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited March 2006
    heiney9 wrote:
    Damn, this is the FM, I forgot if I don't have any interest in buying said item I can't post. Sorry please don't ban me I forgot where I was :eek:

H9

OFF WITH THE SCOUNDREL'S HEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    edited March 2006
    Enjoy RT1........nothing like a good alcoholic beverage to relax with.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited March 2006
    Yes H9, thank you, I just made my third. I am relaxing, tommorow I am spending the day alone in my little world, so I am getting sauced tonight, just a bit, a tad, not alot, bout a ha'penny, a taste, two fingers times six, Kleine, poco, Ok, maybe a medium amount. I need to eat a hens egg. Rum is a wonderful drink.

Speakers are cool.

Bliss--before you leave that wonderful world of education, knowledge and so on, drop by your library and pull out some old worn and tattered reference on Gestalt.

I no not what body may travel this road yet a bag of bones once did pass.

RT1

I dig what this Hep Cat is saying. It goes somewhere, but it's non-linear. It is the feeling arriving, finding the thought has moved on.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • heiney9
    edited March 2006
    Zen Dragon wrote:
    I dig what this Hep Cat is saying. It goes somewhere, but it's non-linear. It is the feeling arriving, finding the thought has moved on.

Yeah, It's called stream of consciousness style writing. Or incessant babbling :p:D . Drug induced yammering is another description:D ;) . Take me where you've been RT1.

H9
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited March 2006
    You don't wanna go there...
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    edited March 2006
    Zen Dragon wrote:
    I dig what this Hep Cat .

dude, is that...like...a cat with hepatitus?
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited March 2006
    Dude it's way more sick than hepatitus. Cats were hep, long before they were hip. Gotta crawl way back into the 60's for that illness though. :)
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited March 2006
    Interestingly enough, daddios and squares, I recently purchased "The Wild One" and watched it last night.

"Now if you gonna stay cool, you got to wail. You got to put somethin' down. You got to make some jive." - Johnny (Marlon Brando), in an attempt to enlighten a square, who also happens to be a strikingly beautiful young woman.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • reeltrouble1
    edited March 2006
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........Alchohol can be a portal (See E. Hemingway).

Ant--you already know my good friend.

Our given condition has long been the body may be forcefully taken or easily given. However, as this momentary pleasure becomes unsatisfactory, leaving the mind, the soul and resultant total consuption. Wherein lies the key to the babbles disguise. I would suggest resisting, however, know many have been captured, especially the youngest generation now dubbed the "y's". You must do it for yourself I cannot take you there, its simply forbidden .

Some words of Mr. Loaf have insight.

Its mostly about money and the things it brings to them.

Brando, man had not thought of him for a time, that dude resisted I wonder if he beat them, he may have, yea I dig him Daddio. I wonder who took from him, I doubt he freely gave whatever it was.

The Low Men---King knows them.

Tina Turner--Private Dancer

So I am interested in the speaks.

RT1
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2006
    Now this is "old-style" FM material... Sale over so sail on...

Odd thing is that Ted's grammar and spelling remain independent of his blood alcohol level.

On the CA's... Best full symphony speaker I've heard.

And if you miss the wide, SDA soundstage, just apply a little Sonic Halography. Sweetspot is tiny compared to SDA's, but impact is the same.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2006
    If you want that big sound, you need a big pair of speakers. The industry standard.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited March 2006
    Can't touch 'em for less than ten grand....
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2006
    what did a pair of these Carver Amazings go for when new? Do they still build em? How recent are these would you say?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2006
    ~$4000
    No.
    ~1990ish

I believe my answers are correct.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2006
    that's cool. ok. thanks.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • whitetruk
    whitetruk Posts: 308
    edited March 2006
    i believe shizelbs is close,i could look for an old brochure,but i must say sumpin first. i have only expeirence with the early platinums i think maybe series mk 2??? i never thought they played loud enough.
    even with tons of amp(silver 7 or 9t`s)
    but i dunno thats my opinion.
    p.s. still have the amps,(9t`s) and if a pair of speakers were local i would be all over them.probably for the cool factor(and i have no waf factor)
    later scott
    I thought it was fairly amusing also. The Polk Ogre doesn't always get 'it'
  • reeltrouble1
    edited March 2006
    The CA originals are 85db effecient, so not the most effecient but not as low as others, I use the silver 9t and have more than enough power, the gain the pre puts on the source signal can make a large difference along with room size. Cant recall the efficiency rating of the Platinums, seem to recall its was like 91? not sure but higher in any event. Anyway, its one of the big differences along with the single 60" ribbon per speaker instead of the two 30".

I am not planning on moving this speaker out of the Shed anytime soon, its a Classic with great sound and deep deep powerful bass.

RT1
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited March 2006
    The Carver Amazing is a really neat speaker to experience, regardless of actual model, and certainly worth the time and trouble.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2006
    Anyone care to suggest a reason why I am not getting the typical deep deep powerful bass? My bass is thin and far from powerful. Its there, but not that much. Unless the particular track is mixed with tons of bass, you really wouldn't be all that impressed.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2006
    The "...deep deep powerful bass" comment was from RT1. He may have a better enviroment for re-enforcement of low end.

I think they have alot of bass, but it's more ethereal than obvious slam....it's an open baffle type, so it's nothing suprising to me.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2006
    Is that the same sort of bass you get out of your maggies?
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2006
    No, it's not room filling in the <40hz region, although the CA can provide that duty easily, as it has woofers. We're comparing two different types of speakers.

There is bass in Magnepan, but the cutoff is sharp @ 40hz.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    edited March 2006
    Shizelbs wrote:
    Anyone care to suggest a reason why I am not getting the typical deep deep powerful bass? My bass is thin and far from powerful. Its there, but not that much. Unless the particular track is mixed with tons of bass, you really wouldn't be all that impressed.

positioning dude, plain and simple, I recently moved mine to a completly different part of the bassment and improved the situation. you can walk to 2 different places and hear 2 very distinct levels of bass. the open baffle thing is a **** for palcement, but when you get it right, its perfect.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • reeltrouble1
    edited March 2006
    Check your surrounds, its possible they have deteriorated over time. Use two people when you remove the grill screws. The speaker has a frq. rating down to 17hz. -3db. so the potential for deep bass is there, however, what deep is to one may not be to another, I call it deep and solid. Of course the media matters, however, I have found from classical, bluegrass, jazz and rock deep tones are solid, certainly not a weakness.

The Shed is open if your in the area.

Room
    Positioning
    Pre-amp
    Source
    Power
    and WIRE

If you have not yet grasped how standing waves can cancel your bass its time to get your learn on and research a bit. The speaker has the potential.

RT1
  • DiscoMike
    DiscoMike Posts: 114
    edited March 2006
    Shizelbs wrote:

Also check your wires and wire connections. If you are using cheap $30 speakerwire from BB, CC, Rat Shack, etc, you will not be impressed with the sound. Use a good or a high quality interconnect or sub interconnect (assuming we are talking subwoofers), or high quality speakerwire (assuming we are talking speakers, are we talking the CAs ?). Perhaps your speakerwire might have erroded over time if oxidation got to it, or if you are not using really good wires, you will not be impressed with the sound of your bass. You dont need to go crazy and spend hundreds of $$$$, but you should make a substantial investment with your wires. You can get some good speaker/interconnect wires on interenet only sites at bettercables.com or mr-cable.com, or you can use the M series Monsters, either the m950/1000i's or the M1.2s or 1.4s bi-wire, or if you have the big $$$, you can use the m2.2s, or the M2.4s bi-wires. I have had good experience with monster as I upgraded my speaks and speaker wire to 2.4s which I purchased used to save some $$$, but I do feel that their retail prices are overpriced.

Also check your speaker placement and crossover frequencies as others have mentioned in this post.

Hope this helps, and good luck restoring the bass.