Carver Amazing Platinum on Ebay in WA state

Options
danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited April 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9702177894&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

found this pair of Carver Amazing Platinum near me.. if anyone is interested i can check them out for ya.

No affil to these
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Those look minty, even the backs and bases are clean, which is rare.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited March 2006
    Options
    wow those are big. I'd like to hear 'em.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • danger boy
    edited March 2006
    Options
    me too, but i don't know the seller.. and i feel to guilty asking for a demo, because I'm not interested in buying. I'd love to have a pair. but there is no way i can afford it right now.. having just bought a pre amp a week ago.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited March 2006
    Options
    and I'd hope he'd give me a free demo if I drove from Kansas to get them lol. But that's not going to happen seeing I just bought a house this week.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • maingey
    maingey Posts: 628
    edited March 2006
    Options
    congrats on the house
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Right speakers, wrong coast.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Al, if you want to hear them, just ask him. If he's an audio guy, he'd probably love to show 'em off.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Gone for the BIN price of $1399.

On the high-side of historical range, but worth it, especially for a local and if you're into the Oak models...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • danger boy
    edited March 2006
    Options
    yup. gone bye bye. next!
  • DiscoMike
    DiscoMike Posts: 114
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Ive heard alot of Polk members salivating over these speakers. Being I never heard these speakrs, or have much experience with ribbon speakers, how great are they ?

How do these speakers compare to the SDA Series, or the SDA-SRS ? Do I dare ask how they comapre to the SRTs ?

And how do ribbon and/or electrostatic speakers compare to regular cone-driven speakers ?
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Mike, I've had SDA SRS, and now have the Carvers. I think the Carvers win handdowns in every conceivable area, except soudstage width, every day of the week. To me, they are clearly the better speaker.

The ribbon tweeter is very fast and quick to give detail. That was apparent to me immediatly during the first listen.
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I was thinking of maybe a DIY speaker down the road. Curious how the ribbon tweeter compares with the Vifa of the lsi's

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    edited March 2006
    Options
    All this talk about Carver Amazings... makes me want to audition a set.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Joey, with all the speakers you subject yourself to, you really owe it to yourself to hear a pair.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Positioning is a ****, thats the down side. Mine sound different every place I put them. of course, that they are in a wierd shaped basement that is the size of my house does not help.

they have a wide open soundstage, very open and natural, deep soundstage thats just different from a box speaker. some will love, some will not love.

I have friends, granted with untrained ears, that love my LSI15's over the Carvers. But the Carvers just have that open sound that will keep them in my basement for quite a long time
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I agree with your comments on the soundstage. While its not as wide as the SDAs, I actually prefer the soundstage and imaging of the Carvers to my SDAs. The Carvers feel more natural, more possible, whereas the SDAs always kind of felt gimmicky.
  • DiscoMike
    DiscoMike Posts: 114
    edited March 2006
    Options
    OK, how bout we all get together and petition to have Polk build the first of its kind - an SDA Amazing Speaker consiting of cones and ribbons ? Or better yet, an SDA-SRS Amazing Set of speakers ? Perhaps one with a built in subwoofer ? And while we are on the topic, lets have Polk build an electrostatic subwoofer !!! (Is that even possible or concevable ?)

Lets see how many are willing to jump on this bandwagon !
  • Midnite Mick
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Don't these comments kind of apply to electrostats in general vs. cone?
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

• Shizelbs
    edited March 2006
    Options
    The fantasy dream SDA petition thing has happened and beat to death already. Not gonna happen.

Mick, I don't have enough experience with electrostats to comment on them.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Don't these comments kind of apply to electrostats in general vs. cone?

I think a ribbon is different from an electrostatic.......i think
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Midnite Mick
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I don't either which is why I ask. All I have heard are Magnepans and Logans. Both had very life like and real sound, very open, a floating type of sound that you could not point to the source. But they lack the bottom end and this is why Martin Logan does the hybrid thing with the coned cabinet at the base. But even with them, they require a certain room size to breath and position is critical. That all.
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

• Midnite Mick
    edited March 2006
    Options
    ohskigod wrote:

Don't the upper models of Magnepans have a ribbon tweeter? Not sure just asking myself.
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I heard a pair of Amazing Mark IV Platinums at a friends house recently. I was floored with the smoothness of the HF, deep bass response. It had a smaller soundstage than my SDA's, but it had a wider sweetspot.

Carter's Amazings don't have a great reputation among planar enthusiasts. The Martin Logan's or the Maggies have a better following. I don't know why, I liked the Mark IVs over the Maggie 3.6's.
    Carl

• Joey_V
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Mick,

The new Logans have a much better low end, I always felt the older ones were weak and sloppy down low. You're right about positioning though, they are painful to get right.... but then again, which speaker isnt?

When you get up to upper strata speakers, usually the positioning is critical and of great importance since the owner wants to squeeze as much of the potential as possible, considering what he/she just paid for it.

I find that positioning is very key - in ALL speakers, not just electrostats.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2006
    Options
    SDAs have a sweet spot. Amazings have a sweet area.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited March 2006
    Options
    ohskigod wrote:

FWIW,

Electrostatic
    Literally electricity that is not in action, otherwise known as static electricity, which is technically an electrostatic charge. Anytime one surface or point has an electric charge relative to another you have electrostatic energy, which is a form of potential energy. Electrostatic is also a type of transducer design. Most widely employed in loudspeakers, electrostatics (as they are often called) are built somewhat like a large capacitor. There are two plates, one of which can move. A DC bias voltage is applied to them to create an electrostatic charge. Then the AC audio signal is applied, and the interaction between the resulting (alternating) magnetic field and the electrostatic field forces the movable plate to move back and forth. Some audiophiles consider this a more pure and better sounding method of reproducing audio than our typical moving coil dynamic loudspeaker designs. However most tend to be quite expensive and it is debated whether there is an overall improvement in sound - many electrostatic speakers are characterized as having little or no bass punch. In fact separate subs of standard moving coil design are often employed as a workaround for this.

Ribbon Speaker
    The ribbon loudspeaker consists of a thin metal-film ribbon suspended between two magnets. The electrical signal is applied to the ribbon which vibrates creating the sound. The advantage of the ribbon loudspeaker is that the ribbon has very little mass; as such, it can accelerate very quickly, yielding good high-frequency response (although its shape is far from ideal). Ribbon loudspeakers can be very fragile but recently designed planar tweeters have the metal film printed on a strong lightweight material for reinforcement. Ribbon tweeters often emit sound that exits the speaker concentrated into a flat plane at the level of the listeners' ears; above and below the plane there is often less treble sound.

These are the basics and I'm sure some shortcomings of each has been dealt with during design.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Joey_V wrote:
    Mick,

The new Logans have a much better low end, I always felt the older ones were weak and sloppy down low. You're right about positioning though, they are painful to get right.... but then again, which speaker isnt?

When you get up to upper strata speakers, usually the positioning is critical and of great importance since the owner wants to squeeze as much of the potential as possible, considering what he/she just paid for it.

I find that positioning is very key - in ALL speakers, not just electrostats.

Logans are electrostatic and use a conventional moving coil dynamic driver in the lower cabinet for bass. Kind-of-a hybrid so to speak.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Damn, this is the FM, I forgot if I don't have any interest in buying said item I can't post. Sorry please don't ban me I forgot where I was :eek:

H9
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Well, it was nice knowin' ya, H9!

:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Joey_V
    edited March 2006
    Options
    heiney9 wrote:
    Logans are electrostatic and use a conventional moving coil dynamic driver in the lower cabinet for bass. Kind-of-a hybrid so to speak.

H9

Thats what I meant... I mustnt had explicit said it.

Oops.