Are we alone?

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    demiurge - true, intelligent life is very complex, but note we're not asking about the existence of intellegent life, just life in any form, which is vastly more possible... heck, we can create proto-cells in a laboratory already, i'm sure that some world other than ours has, in the past 6 billion years (a generously small number), formed at least a cell by random chance...

an interesting tidbit - this CNN article describes an Australian research project that estimated the number of stars in the visible universe as 7 x 10^22... that's a lotta planets...

and where did you get your 1 in 10^22000 figure?

skynut - i agree, we have no idea what our own concept of 'life' is, exactly, cause we keep finding crazy stuff that really shouldn't be alive, but is... like certain sulfur-based carbon lifeforms around vents in the deep ocean (as opposed to carbon-based, like us) (note this is hearsay, i'm searching for a reliable reference now)

a reference - NASA's Astrobiology Institute
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited March 2006
    All of the science arguements regarding life are based on the thought that all material in the universe was originally sterile. The sterile material is not contaminated with any forms of biological life.
    What if it wasnt' sterile?
    If the "big bang" was actually the starting point of everything and whatever "blew up" was sterile then it could be argued that most of the cosmos are in fact sterile however, if the big "thing" that "blew up" was actually inhabited at one time then the remnants of that life were sent out in all directions.

Life has a way of surviving.

I also think it is arrogant to think that a being capable of creating everything in the heavens would create us in it's own image.
    I feel this is our own explaination for life.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2006
    With our very limited technology, scientists have already found one or two planets which seem to be CAPABLE of sustaining life as we know it (a medium sized sun, atmosphere, and reasonable distance from said sun). And it's pretty hard for us to "find" planets in other solar systems to begin with. Being that we can see any leads most to believe there are in fact many planets CAPABLE of sustaining life. Since no one really knows how life BEGAN (yeah, single celled organism in a pool somewhere, I know, but no one really KNOWS) we also don't know how difficult it is for it to happen again. Intelligent life is more complex than any of us can really fathom, but it is in ABUNDANCE (although I use intelligent loosely ;) ) on Earth, so I think it's reasonable to assume that of the most likely MILLIONS of inhabitable planets in the universe, ONE of them managed to eek out some sort of life.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2006
    I said yes...but I agree with those who say Who cares?? We probably won't know they are there, if they are there, and we have enough issues right here to spend our lives wondering what else could be out there.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2006
    neomagus00 wrote:
    demiurge - true, intelligent life is very complex, but note we're not asking about the existence of intellegent life, just life in any form, which is vastly more possible... heck, we can create proto-cells in a laboratory already, i'm sure that some world other than ours has, in the past 6 billion years (a generously small number), formed at least a cell by random chance...

an interesting tidbit - this CNN article describes an Australian research project that estimated the number of stars in the visible universe as 7 x 10^22... that's a lotta planets...

and where did you get your 1 in 10^22000 figure?

Dr. Carl Sagan, from one of his two books on the subject, Cosmos. This is his purely scientific view on the matter, and he's hardly a friend of the bible, so I am not even using someone in line with ID to form my argument.

The number is astronomical (pun intended), and I see a lot of folks in this thread throwing out the complex components needed to create life, let alone sustain it.

Now, to get complex about life....

There are an estimated 100,000,000,000 stars in this galaxy. There are an estimated 100,000,000,000 galaxies. The sun is roughly 1,000,000 times the size of the earth. The mass of the earth is roughly 6x10^27g (I will round that up to 10^28 grams).

Tryptophan is one of the 20 amino acids making up the others that create the proteins in life (intelligent or otherwise). I am using tryptophan as my basis to my argument.

The mass of tryptophan is 204 grams/mole (Which I will round down to make the numbers better for unbelievers). Lets say just 100 grams per mole. Thus, if the universe were one great big soup stock of amino acids, there would be about:

10^28 * 10^11 * 10^11 *10^6 * 6.022 * 10^23/100 molecules of amino acids in the universe.

That is less than 10^479 molecules in the universe.

For argument's sake, lets say dark matter is 9 times the visible universe, or a total of 10^79 amino acid molecules in the universe! ;) Given that a hemoglobin molecule of protein is roughly a specific 600 link chain, each link is possibly one of the 20 amino acids mentioned earlier. Lets do some stats for a simple 100 link chain protein molecule. To get a specific chain, we would have one chance in 20^100 or roughly (rounding down to help the unbelievers) 10^130 of get that specific chain. Now lets say this soup of amino acids is actually 100 link chans randomly breaking apart and coming back together at 100,000,000,000,000 times per second for the entire hstory of the universe. The age of the universe is roughly 18,000,000,000 years (rounded up to about 100,000,000,000,000,000 seconds).

So, 10^130 / 10^79 / 10^17 = 10^34. You have one chance in 10^34 of getting the specific chain you must have)for there to be life.

See, it's a gigantic mind f*ck, and really isn't worth it. Knowing all of that means nothing.

The point of putting all that on paper is to show you need to wish, hope, pray, or whatever the hell you want for there to be life out there. Then, in the obscure chance that there was -- tell yourself it even mattered. There's nothing in our reaches, either physically or mentally, so why even belauguer the point?

The people that claim to have seen UFOs are full of shite. I'm sure they saw something, but UFOs manned by aliens they were not.

Not to mention, if we're not talking about intelligent life, who cares? Might be nice to look up at the sky and ask ".....are we alone?" The answer is yes, because the truth wouldn't feel any different.

Didn't read past the sixth line, eh?
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2006
    I need a beer.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited March 2006
    I heard Carl Sagan was an avid weed smoker and got some of his best ideas after lighting up. After reading the first couple lines of Demi's post, I'm convinced he is following in Sagan's footsteps.

DUDE, you just fried my brain!
    No excuses!
  • Skynut
    edited March 2006
    I would like to bet money that we will find life on another body in our solar system before I die.
    I'll bet it is on a moon and is under the ice near the warmer climates.
    I'll bet it looks nothing like anything we have seen here on earth.

The best part is if it is not discovered before I die than I am dead.
    Good luck collecting suckers.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited March 2006
    Demiurge wrote:
    Dr. Carl Sagan, from one of his two books on the subject, Cosmos. This is his purely scientific view on the matter, and he's hardly a friend of the bible, so I am not even using someone in line with ID to form my argument.

The number is astronomical (pun intended), and I see a lot of folks in this thread throwing out the complex components needed to create life, let alone sustain it.

Now, to get complex about life....

There are an estimated 100,000,000,000 stars in this galaxy. There are an estimated 100,000,000,000 galaxies. The sun is roughly 1,000,000 times the size of the earth. The mass of the earth is roughly 6x10^27g (I will round that up to 10^28 grams).

Tryptophan is one of the 20 amino acids making up the others that create the proteins in life (intelligent or otherwise). I am using tryptophan as my basis to my argument.

The mass of tryptophan is 204 grams/mole (Which I will round down to make the numbers better for unbelievers). Lets say just 100 grams per mole. Thus, if the universe were one great big soup stock of amino acids, there would be about:

10^28 * 10^11 * 10^11 *10^6 * 6.022 * 10^23/100 molecules of amino acids in the universe.

That is less than 10^479 molecules in the universe.

For argument's sake, lets say dark matter is 9 times the visible universe, or a total of 10^79 amino acid molecules in the universe! ;) Given that a hemoglobin molecule of protein is roughly a specific 600 link chain, each link is possibly one of the 20 amino acids mentioned earlier. Lets do some stats for a simple 100 link chain protein molecule. To get a specific chain, we would have one chance in 20^100 or roughly (rounding down to help the unbelievers) 10^130 of get that specific chain. Now lets say this soup of amino acids is actually 100 link chans randomly breaking apart and coming back together at 100,000,000,000,000 times per second for the entire hstory of the universe. The age of the universe is roughly 18,000,000,000 years (rounded up to about 100,000,000,000,000,000 seconds).

So, 10^130 / 10^79 / 10^17 = 10^34. You have one chance in 10^34 of getting the specific chain you must have)for there to be life.

See, it's a gigantic mind f*ck, and really isn't worth it. Knowing all of that means nothing.

The point of putting all that on paper is to show you need to wish, hope, pray, or whatever the hell you want for there to be life out there. Then, in the obscure chance that there was -- tell yourself it even mattered. There's nothing in our reaches, either physically or mentally, so why even belauguer the point?

The people that claim to have seen UFOs are full of shite. I'm sure they saw something, but UFOs manned by aliens they were not.

Not to mention, if we're not talking about intelligent life, who cares? Might be nice to look up at the sky and ask ".....are we alone?" The answer is yes, because the truth wouldn't feel any different.

Didn't read past the sixth line, eh?

Taken strickly from a mathmaticians point of view... sure am glad we didn't listen to math guys when we defied gravity and learned to fly! :D

Again, whether you believe in Creation or Evolution it really matters not in this thread: I believe it matters if you have dreams. Will we ever find other life out there? I doubt it highly in my lifetime. But I know we will in the future. We (Humans) will never settle for just saying there isn't life out there, until we have personally explored it and tasted it, felt it, smelt it ourselves.

And yes, I believe one day we will. Technology will only progress, and our minds are limitless on what we can accomplish, if we don't blow ourselves off the planet first, fighting our brothers. ;)

Regardless, I find the topic one of the most addictive out there...
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• Skynut
    edited March 2006
    Even if there is a "creator" why would the "creator" stop here?
    Why not put the forces of life in motion elsewhere?
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    MrNightly wrote:
    Taken strickly from a mathmaticians point of view... sure am glad we didn't listen to math guys when we defied gravity and learned to fly! :D

Again, whether you believe in Creation or Evolution it really matters not in this thread: I believe it matters if you have dreams. Will we ever find other life out there? I doubt it highly in my lifetime. But I know we will in the future. We (Humans) will never settle for just saying there isn't life out there, until we have personally explored it and tasted it, felt it, smelt it ourselves.

And yes, I believe one day we will. Technology will only progress, and our minds are limitless on what we can accomplish, if we don't blow ourselves off the planet first, fighting our brothers. ;)

Regardless, I find the topic one of the most addictive out there...

That's taken strictly from a scientific point of view. Math is a science, but the makeup of life is also a science, and math is the means to solve the equation. The last part of the post is the most important to me. That even if the answer to your question is no, we are not alone -- That it doesn't matter. You won't feel any different in knowing that.

Also, life on other planets, let alone in our own solar system, isn't the same as flying to the moon.

Also, Skynut -- What planets with warmer teperatures than here on earth? Venus? Mercury? The farther away from the sun you get, the colder it gets.

Mars has a temp. of approx. -67 Degrees Farenheit....It doesn't get any warmer the farther out you go. So essentially, if there is no life on Mars, we're S.O.L. on the theory unless it's somehow beyond our solar system. Even then the conditions would need to be perfect and fall within the parameters noted above. Then, and only then, would your hopes come true. Then we fall back to the initial point....does it matter? No. Do you feel any different in knowing this? No.

Pluto's distance from Earth is a minimum of 4,284.7 A.U. and a maximum of 7,528.0 A.U.

For the purpose of scope, 1 Astronomical Unit (A.U.) = 149,598,000,000 meters. 1 mile = 1,609.344 meters.

So, the bottom line is -- that's a long f*cking way -- do the math. How do you purport we get to a planet like that? Mars is the only hope, and there is no intelligent life there. Life? Possible, but doubtful.

So, you tell me who is smoking the weed.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2006
    Demiurge wrote:
    Also, Skynut -- What planets with warmer teperatures than here on earth? Venus? Mercury? The farther away from the sun you get, the colder it gets.

Mars has a temp. of approx. -67 Degrees Farenheit....It doesn't get any warmer the farther out you go. So essentially, if there is no life on Mars, we're S.O.L. on the theory unless it's somehow beyond our solar system. Even then the conditions would need to be perfect and fall within the parameters noted above. Then, and only then, would your hopes come true. Then we fall back to the initial point....does it matter? No. Do you feel any different in knowing this? No.

Not to mention that beyond Mars, all those planets are gaseous anyways, no land or "water" to speak of, unless you talk about a moon. Pluto, still maintaining its dubious distinction as a planet, is believed to be a degree or two ABOVE absolute zero at most times during its orbit - absolute zero being the point at which all molecular motion stops.

If there's life out there, it's not in this solar system, and like Demi keeps saying, it doesn't matter, because unless we're wrong about every law of physics, we'll never know.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Skynut
    edited March 2006
    I believe there are 3 moons in our system that have thermal cores and liquid.
    The liquid is described as water in many of the articles I have read.
    The thought is, since they have liquid and a thermal core there is a variance of heat from the freezing cold surface to the warmer liquid core.
    Somehwere in that range is life supporting fluid.
    In the marianas (sp?) trench where pressures are too great for manned exploration we have sent exploration vehicles that have found life. Life that survives with no sunlight, high concentrations of nitrogen, and no contact with the surface.
    What does it eat?
    How sdoes it see?
    How did it evolve to live in this extreme enviroment?
    I don't know but I figure if we find life living on earth in places that would kill 98.5% of all life as we know it then why not elsewhere in our solar system?
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    What is life to you?
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    ah, the killer question... what is 'alive'? clearly, a protozoan is, but what about a virus? a prion? a prion pretty clearly is not, as it's just a misfolded protein, but where is the line in between?

as the majority of scientists would have it, a virus is not alive, because it cannot reproduce (i believe, this is presented without proof)... i know there's a list of around 5 traits required for something to be 'alive', but i cannot seem to remember it... anyone else know what i'm talking about?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited March 2006
    Skynut wrote:
    Bill gates was the first.
    He came here from the year 5150 and made all his billions on an idea the government created years before his birth.
    He was actually underpaid for a science experiment in time travel; an experiment in which he may or may not return.
    He chose to stay and invest what little he had in a "new idea"
    And the rest is history. or mystory.
    ACTUALLY, i was graced the world in 1975. i don't care to believe in other forms of life, unless i experience it/them in person. even if they do exist, i doubt i'll ever see one/them in my lifetime.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Skynut
    edited March 2006
    OK sooooo.

What if they are already here?
    Suppose they came and we didn't notice them?
    Perhaps they came in tiny micro-ships and we think they are the newest discovered life on this planet?
    Perhaps 200 years ago when cancer was unknown they arrived and began feeding off our bodies?

Tons of space dust rains down on our planet each year; what if they just floated down and moved in?

We may never know.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • Skynut
    edited March 2006
    Even better yet,

What if we came here a few thousand years ago and just never left?

Now where did I put that missing link?
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited March 2006
    I said No.

Are we alone? Most probably not but UFO's I don't think so. Why is it that we always assume that life on other planets is smarter than we are. Maybe they are just a bunch of dumbasses like us. Could be that a "vintage" '87 Yugo is a fine piece of equipment for them. There is just as good a chance that they up up to their asses in slimy space goo as anything. But then again they don't call me Dr. Kevin:)
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • BIZILL
    edited March 2006
    if they do indeed exist, i hope we never have to utter the words, "can't we all just get along?":eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • BIZILL
    edited March 2006
    Skynut wrote:
    What if they are already here?
    my boss looks like an alien with his ballcap removed.:p

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • Skynut
    edited March 2006
    does he have grey skin?

Ewwwww
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • BIZILL
    edited March 2006
    whitest scalp one should never have to experience...... again.:eek:

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2006
    WAAAAAAAA!!!:D

Exactely! To think we are the only ones in existance is crazy. There are most likely civilizations watching us, but don't care to let us join them since we're fu**ing idiots and can't get along with one another. We're probably their Sunday night reality TV show.

"Oh man, I can't wait for tomorrow nights episode to see which country gets bombed!!! My $$$ is on such and such!!!"
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2006
    Demiurge my good man, you say "Intelligent life is not simple, it is very complex...."

I say "You need to get out and talk to some of these folks." Agreed, some people are pretty sharp, but there is also a lot of stuff out there that is just mobile protoplasm.

Speakergeek,
    It wouldn't have been a bad idea if you had waited till you had a few more hundred posts before you laid that on us.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2006
    There is a good "history" book, well read by many religious sects, that describes in detail a close encounter. Read it from UFO point of view. The chapter is called Ezekiel.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited March 2006
    Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. We are still discovering as yet unknown life on this planet.

While the numbers against are compelling, the universe is size incomprehensible. We are not alone...
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited March 2006

Speakergeek,
    It wouldn't have been a bad idea if you had waited till you had a few more hundred posts before you laid that on us.

He never replied... I am intriqued to see if he was joking or what...
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• TAB
    TAB Posts: 41
    edited March 2006
    God's creation..........isn't it AWESOME!!!
    [HOME THEATRE]
    35" SonyTrinitron
    Sony STR-DA90ESG (AVR)
    Carver TFM-55X (Amp for drivers)
    Carver TFM-55 (Amp for tweeters)
    Sony DVP-S530D (DVD)
    Sony CDP-302 (CD)
    Sony SLV-595HF (VHS 1)
    Sony SLV-678HF (VHS 2)
    Pioneer PL-L800 (Turntable)
    Sony TC-WR701ES (Twin Cass. Deck)
    Technics SH-8066 (EQ)
    POLK SDA SRS (Front)
    POLK Monitor 5B (Surr.)
    POLK CS-245 (Center)
    [2 CH]
    Carver C-5 (Preamp)
    Carver M-400t (Amp)
    Sony CDP-C85ES (CD)
    Technics SH-8055 (EQ)
    POLK SDA 1B
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited March 2006
    Ron-P wrote:
    I do not believe UFO's or Aliens. I do believe I had too much Smoked Porter yesterday.

Oh, is that what they call it nowadays.
    Sal Palooza