Are we alone?

MrNightly
MrNightly Posts: 3,370
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Ok guys, here's the question that I always think about. Are we alone in this universe? Do you believe in UFO's? Are they out there? Will we contact them, or have we already?

I'm curious on everyone's slant, so please elaborate after you vote.

Let me know what you think, or if you think anything at all. UFOology has always intriqued and inspired me.
Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
Stuff...

RTi12's - front
CSi5 - center
FXi3's - surrounds
RTi4's - surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
Denon 3805
Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

Post edited by MrNightly on

Comments

• MSkeezer
    MSkeezer Posts: 1,183
    edited March 2006
    Actually, the question should be, "Do you believe in aliens, or ET's?" A UFO is just that. An unidentified flying object. That could be anything. Just because you can't identify it doesn't mean it belongs to otherwordly beings. :p
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2006
    If we are the most advanced and intelligent beings in the universe, then the cosmic neighborhood has gone to hell :D
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2006
    "If we're the only ones in the Universe, it'd be a terrible waste of space."
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • MrNightly
    edited March 2006
    Very true... should have phrased it better.. There are things in my house my wife bought that I can't identify. :D Aliens would have been better, but didn't want to just include it to "Outter worldly creatures." There could be many other forms of life, ones we haven't even considered...
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2006
    Given the size of the Universe, its naive to think its all for us.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    i wanna know who said 'no'...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited March 2006
    Well actually I said no, but that's because I thought it was Yes...I'm so confused, and it's 2:15 in the morning - way too early for this...

My answer ... to the titles of the post "Are We Alone" ... is No
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2006
    Several years back, National Geographic had an article with a fold out page. It was an image taken by the Hubble telescope. It was two or three pages wide and virtually covered with pinpoints of light. Thousands or MILLions, and MILLions (Carl Sagan impression) of stars I thought. Uh-Uh. Each pinpoint of light was a fuc$ing GALAXY. Now, the text indicated that the telescope was focused on a chunk of space equivalent to the size of a grain of sand held at arms length.

You be da judge.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2006
    Either alternative is awesome. One planet in all of space/galaxies/universies with humans? Wow!! Planets populated by others? Wow!!

RT1
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2006
    They are most likely out there, but the odds of us ever having any kind of contact with them is slim to none. Barring some kind of amazing wormhole technology or Stargate (tm), the universe is just too damned big.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited March 2006
    Are we alone. Not a chance. Our world is a small world and if you think this is all there is, well I think you need to open your eyes a little.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited March 2006
    I was abducted just last week.:D

But seriously, humanity is way too vain in believing that we're the only intelligent lifeforms in a universe that is so vast, most just can't comprehend it's true size.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited March 2006
    Did you bring back any new audio toys?
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2006
    I do not believe UFO's or Aliens. I do believe I had too much Smoked Porter yesterday.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited March 2006
    UFOs are a real phenomenon. What they really are is the question? I have seen several UFOs in my nearly forty years. The most recent being a metallic looking ball that flew silently over my house a few years ago. It went directly west to east at about 2000ft. I doubt they are extra-terrestrial in nature though.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited March 2006
    Several years back, National Geographic had an article with a fold out page. It was an image taken by the Hubble telescope. It was two or three pages wide and virtually covered with pinpoints of light. Thousands or MILLions, and MILLions (Carl Sagan impression) of stars I thought. Uh-Uh. Each pinpoint of light was a fuc$ing GALAXY. Now, the text indicated that the telescope was focused on a chunk of space equivalent to the size of a grain of sand held at arms length.

You be da judge.

Exactely! To think we are the only ones in existance is crazy. There are most likely civilizations watching us, but don't care to let us join them since we're fu**ing idiots and can't get along with one another. We're probably their Sunday night reality TV show.

"Oh man, I can't wait for tomorrow nights episode to see which country gets bombed!!! My $$$ is on such and such!!!"
    No excuses!
  • MrNightly
    edited March 2006
    UFOs are a real phenomenon. What they really are is the question? I have seen several UFOs in my nearly forty years. The most recent being a metallic looking ball that flew silently over my house a few years ago. It went directly west to east at about 2000ft. I doubt they are extra-terrestrial in nature though.

Really?
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2006
    To have life as we know it to be on other planets is null. If there are some other properties to life we can't comprehend, then it's a virtual unknown, and a definite posibility. Then again, some people still believe in ***, where He is is supreme creator of the universe. It's not worth the mind f*ck for me to think about something that doesn't matter.
  • MrNightly
    edited March 2006
    Demiurge wrote:
    To have life as we know it to be on other planets is null. If there are some other properties to life we can't comprehend, then it's a virtual unknown, and a definite posibility. Then again, some people still believe in ***, where He is is supreme creator of the universe. It's not worth the mind f*ck for me to think about something that doesn't matter.

Believing in God doesn't matter? Or life on other planets doesn't matter?
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    MrNightly wrote:
    Believing in God doesn't matter? Or life on other planets doesn't matter?

Well, that's all relative to your opinions, but the latter doesn't matter to me. Life on other planets. There's a slew of good books on the subject that pretty much debunk the good story of aliens and other life-forms. The possibility of life sustaining properties elsewhere as they appear on earth is virtually null.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2006
    i think that there are other beings out there but who knows if we will ever find out for sure
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited March 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    Given the size of the Universe, its naive to think its all for us.

I can not figure out why everyone does not think this way.
    Every star in the sky represents the possibility of life. It may not be carbon base life like we think but there certainly could be life.
    Just check out some of the EXTREME life we have here. We have creatures here living where we thought nothing could survive.

I think we will not only find life outside this planet but inside our own solar system. Perhaps on one of the many moons circling one of our many planets.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Skynut
    edited March 2006
    I also think IF they know about us they are avoiding us because of the way we chose to use our atom splitting devices.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • BrentMcGhee
    BrentMcGhee Posts: 548
    edited March 2006
    I also say that there has to be other forms of life in the galaxy. This thread came at a very good time i just watched k-pax for the first time last night and i really enjoyed it.

it kinda makes you think though, what if we have had actual visitors from other dimensions not even limited to aliens per say, but even people who have traveled back in time, jesus christ himself, beings from other planets or even the reserected, but our society deemd them crazy and just locked them up in a loony bin not listning to a word they have to say??????
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited March 2006
    those who don't know, don't know that they don't know....:)
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Skynut
    edited March 2006
    Bill gates was the first.
    He came here from the year 5150 and made all his billions on an idea the government created years before his birth.
    He was actually underpaid for a science experiment in time travel; an experiment in which he may or may not return.
    He chose to stay and invest what little he had in a "new idea"
    And the rest is history. or mystory.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2006
    I said no.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2006
    If anyone's interested in a fun mind-f*** book, there's a FREE book by Scott Adams (the guy who writes Dilbert) called God's Debris. It's nothing like Dilbert, it's an actual novel. Very fun and interesting. It's basically an idea about God and the universe and stuff like that.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    Skynut wrote:
    Every star in the sky represents the possibility of life.

That's just not true. Using plain science and throwing out the idea of ID, do you know what the properties are to sustain life, and not just sustain it, but actually create it? Also how huge of a number the probability is that it could be mimicked anywhere else in the universe? I'm not saying it's impossible, but from our own worldly view it would be called a miracle if it existed elsewhere.

Here's a picture taken with the Hubble:

hubbleultradeep8mp.jpg

Everything you see, with the exception of a half a dozen stars (which you can pick out by the specks of light coming out of them in 4 directions), is a galaxy, with tens to hundreds of billions of stars each.

Definitely humbling. If there are beings created in the image of God in those galaxies looking our way, they wouldn't know if we're here either. (which is why I say the mind f*ck isn't worth it ;) )

At any given time, you can't know if the sun is still shining. Light takes about 8 minutes to travel from the sun to Earth (93 million miles), approximately 670,000,000 miles per hour.

The probability of intelligent life elsewhere has been calculated at 1 followed by 22,000 zeroes.

900_m42_wide_212.jpg

I'm not saying one way or the other, I just thought I would throw a wrench into it. Intelligent life is not simple, it's very complex, and the science hardly supports the possibility of it, let alone the thought of ID.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited March 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    They are most likely out there, but the odds of us ever having any kind of contact with them is slim to none. Barring some kind of amazing wormhole technology or Stargate (tm), the universe is just too damned big.

Dead on. Do I believe in UFO's? Nope. But that doesn't mean I believe that we're alone.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i