Whatcha got....

Options

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited October 2002
    Options
    polkatese,
    what I meant by that statement is that 2 channel no matter how good it is, it can't recreate the Home Theater experience....for me that is.......DVD isn't recorded in 2 channel.........

hey I meant to ask yeah.....did you get black or sliver in your Rotel???????How are you loving it...I bet your loving the **** out of it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Dan,
    I got the black one, since everything else that I own are black. Of course I am loving it. In fact, today I received the LSiFx (the LSi15 still en route from PA, supposedly Polk's wharehouse is there)...bit of dissapointment since I am hoping I can complete the tweaking this weekend). But, I tell ya, the LSi series are definitely need better amp to drive them. I compared with the RM-3000, I could get decent volume at about 50 on the Rotel, with the LSiFx, and LSiC in place, I have to push it to 60 to get the same level....The Rotel sounds soooooo clean on the LSi. I am surprise that the LSiFx doesn't get too much of a review, I've been hearing more about LSi9. The build, finish, and audio quality is so good...I tried the Rotel with the 5ch stereo, and it sounds great, dynamic is definitely improved quite a bit.....

Next upgrade, multi channel audio....I have to pace myself so that the wife doesn't try to outspend me on others.....:lol:

But, the Denon may be next, they were talking about SACD upgrade, but only with direct link to the 5803, do you know anything about this upcoming upgrade? fh
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by rlw

IMO, that's not true. First, there are 3 formats under discussion: DVD-A, CD, and SACD.

DVD-A and CD both use PCM as their encoding scheme; the former increases resolution to 24 bit.

SACD uses DSD, a 1 bit, 2.4Mhz(? - might be off on this) completely different encoding scheme.

The DVD-A engineers argue that any 1 bit solution, no matter the frequency, is flawed from inception; their claim is that PCM-encoding is fine, but not at a depth of 16 bits. In essence, as I understand it, they claim that a 1 bit DSD datastream cannot offer both high dynamic range and wide frequency response at the same time - and they have some compelling mathematics behind their argument. Hence, SACD - according to them - is a lower-resolution format than DVD-A.

The SACD camp argues that PCM is inherently flawed when compared to DSD, due to an additional step taken with the datastream called decimation. This is avoided with DSD, which instead uses noise-shaping filters upon playback.

So, in key respects - the encoding scheme - CD and DVD-A are very much apples and apples. BTW, PCM is not a compression method; neither is DSD.

SACD and DVD-A do employ radically different encoding streams, so in some sense, they are apples and kiwis, I guess. However, there are still some valid comparisons to be made, IMO.

this was taken from the DVD-Audio preview web page:

The DVD-Audio format is designed to deliver the highest audio fidelity possible. No lossy audio compression is used on any primary audio content on a DVD-Audio. However, uncompressed audio files tend to be large, and they require high bandwidth for delivery. Because of these constraints, as an option to the content provider, the DVD-Audio format features a special form of lossless compression called Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP). The key difference between lossy compression and lossless compression, such as MLP, is that lossless compression does not discard any audio information. All of the audio content can be completely and accurately reconstructed from an MLP file, achieving the ultimate in fidelity.

A DVD-Audio disc may use MLP to solve two different technical issues: First, if the content provider finds that there is not enough room on the disc for all the audio content, then MLP may be used to reduce the size of audio files so that everything fits on the disc. Second, if the content provider intends to deliver 96kHz/24-bit 6-channel surround sound, MLP must be used on this audio to reduce the bandwidth requirement to one that can be easily handled by the DVD-Audio player.

MLP represents the ultimate in high-fidelity audio compression because it is the only compression format supported by DVD-Audio that allows every bit of the original recording to be reproduced accurately and completely.

that's good enough for me. . for the helluva it. i'm going to listen to some DVD-a tonight in 2 channel and see how it sounds. i'm an openminded forward thinking kind of guy.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2002
    Options
    i'd support a new thread on multichannel audio. instead of debating it in here.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Oddly enuff, J Gordon Holt packed his bags & went surround back in 1999. At least that's how the 40th anniv STEREOPHILE describes it.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • audiomaven
    audiomaven Posts: 1
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I've got many systems in the house, but the main system is a B&K EX-442 200 wpc in dual mono configuration. Pre amp is Audio Research LS-7, All tube line level. Digital is the EAD T-7000 multi disc transport with an EAD dsp7000 D/A. Speakers were the Polk monitor 10 B, but after 10 years I upgraded to B&W Matrix 802 series3, on sound anchor stands. The Polks were on Standesign 14 inch steel stands, sand filled and spiked. All cables are Audio quest. And everything is plugged into an Adcom ACE 515 Running out of 20 amp dedicated outlets.
    Audiomaven
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Sounds like a great system! Welcome to the Polk site!!!!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Well I don't have DQ-10's.

I suck.

BooHoo
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by liv4fam

I SUCK.

congrats, you've finally admitted it
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut

I SUCK.

congrats, you've finally admitted it

Indeed. Now the real question is wether he spits or swallows.
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by phuz

Indeed. Now the real question is wether he spits or swallows.

Don't bet on it, I don't think he's "man" enough to do that...
  • abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Turntable - Technics SL/QL-1 - purchased 1982 - not currently hooked up
    EQ - Audio Control model Ten - purchased 1984
    Speakers - Polk Audio SDA-2A - purchased 1987
    Receiver - Denon DRA-625 - purchased 1989
    CD - Denon DCD-820 - purchased 1991
    Tape - Denon DRM-720 - purchased 1996

None of my stuff is very new, but it was good gear when I bought it and still sounds that way!
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited December 2002
    Options
    i got them both (multi&2channel) and like them both
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2002
    Options
    My 2 Channel Rig:

Harman Kardon h/k 870 high current amp
    Harman Kardon h/k 825 pre-amp
    Harman Kardon EQ7 graphic equalizer
    Sony CDP-390 CD player with 4X oversampling and dual D/A converters
    Sony PS-X500 direct drive turntable with servo driven tone arm and Grado cartridge
    New Advent Loudspeaker full range two way acoustic suspension loudspeakers

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I just thought i'd put in my 2 cents worth..I'm in love with my set up also..Mine is an ADCOM gfa-545 amp-with a ADCOM gtp - 450 preamp/tuner. and then the front end is a YAMAHA cd-755.
    This lil' guy has chips that turn a 16 bit recording int a 20 bit before transport-(i love that) Kick **** bottom end too. and then there's the MERIDIAN-(needs no explanatin) but its
    being repaired ..Whaa !!! just like a finniky Ferrari ..ha,ha... my inner connects are MONSTER 850-i's with monster speaker wire..(i want nordhost but i just can't see paying the price of a small house for cables)..Then there's the POLK RT-7'S. ADDED TO A velodyne 12/15 powered subwoofer.With expiermentation and the proper placement--this thing rocks-not only is it really clean (my opinion) it also rattles stuff on top of the refrigerator 4 rooms away..(kewl)--last but definately not least is the very cool BBE--ARS audio restoration system.
    This little device keeps evrything clean and creates audio extacy..Of course this is all in "MY" opinion and it only really matters to me..But the
    nicest thing about the whole thing itto open up a STEREOPHILE and see my stuff in there..(or has been in there)with the exception of the YAMAHA"S.........
    i guess the exitement of finally obtaining a high end sytstem hasn'tworn off yet....i used to own rack systems and thought i had something great ,,, boy did i expierence a rude awakening..
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Just speakers for now, electronics at a different time.

AR-9's (late 70's vintage towers with two 12" sealed box SIDE-FIRING woofers, one 8" lower mid, one dome upper mid, and one dome tweet per 130lb cabinet. The 2nd finest speakers I have ever heard. My home theater speakers.)

AR-302's (10" three-way sealed box in cherry, still new in boxes)

ADC 303ax (early 70's 10" two-way sealed box, direct compete with AR and KLH)

Advent Model 3's (70's vintage 6"two-way sealed box)

The New Advent Loudspeaker (late 70's 10" two-way sealed box, currently in my daughters bedroom, recent re-foam, mint)

Audiofile ?'s (no model # 3" wide range, palm of your hand sized bombproof sealed enclosures. Awesome little Bose "Twisty Thing" Killers! I can honestly say I have no idea where I got them.)

Auratone 5C's (small 5" wide range that belonged to Leonard Feldman, late, great, audio man)

Boston Acoustics BA735 (sub/sat computer system).

The Carver Amazing Platinum's (I've said enough about these in the past. Simply the finest speakers I have ever heard. My main stereo only rig is where these live)

Electro-Voice Model 7 ('60's era 8" two-way)

Electro-Voice Marquis ('60's 10 or 12" two-way with concentrically mounted tweets in a humongous cabinet, like Bozak B-302's. They are my garage speakers)

EPI 100v (I have two pair of these 8" two-way sealed boxes, with INVERTED dome tweeter. Three of the four require re-foaming. Some people felt that this was the most bang for the buck loudspeaker ever made, along with AR's Model 6, also an 8" two-way sealed box from the late 60's- early 70's.)

JBL 2060 (unremarkable 6" vented two-way)

KEF 102 (overpriced English 6" two-way sealed box. It's in a nice cabinet.)

KLH Model 6 (I have two pair of these, THE 10" sealed box two-way. One pair on my desk at work, the other owned since 1974 and now residing in my other daughters room.)

KLH 17 (10" two-way sealed box employing the exact same drivers as the Model 6, but in a slightly smaller cabinet. I have never developed a love for these. Maybe because I know how much deep end can come from that woofer in a slightly larger cabinet like the Model 6.)

KLH 24 (early 70's 6" two-way sealed box)

Optimus LX-4 (Rat Shack 4" wooden sealed box two-way with Linaeum tweeter. Brand new in boxes)

Optimus Minimus 7/Pro 7 (I don't know how many pair of these I have. Three or four I would say. GREAT little 3 or 4" ABSOLUTELY BOMBROOF two-way. I love these little ****. By themselves, with sub, they're little marvels.)

Parasound BPI450 Passive Woofer Module (neat little two 5 1/4" drivers mounted on opposite sides of a sealed box. Great with Minimus 7/Pro 7, or Audiofile's.)

RA Labs Mini-Reference (overachieving early 90's 6" two-way sealed box from Roy Allison

Recoton V632 Powered Spkrs (5 1/4" two-way with tweet like KEF's Uni-Q. Hooked up to Stephie's computer.)

Except for a pair of Lafayette Criterion 2ax's on loan to someone, that might be it.

I did it in alphabetical order. Neat huh? Now my head hurts like a .........

If somebody had told me my speaker collection only went up to the letter "R", I would've told them they were nuts.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    What happened George? Fingers get tired? Where's all the KLH and Dynaco?

Perhaps we should have a post, "What gear do you have that has 'G Grand, Zoo Jersey' written on the bottom.

I'll disregard the whole house and HT rig for now, mancave as follows:

Polk SDA CRS+
    Infinity Qb x 4
    Kef Cresta 2
    ADC 16/2 Cd
    Nad 1130 Pre
    Nad 2240PE Amp
    Akai CS-MO2 Cassette
    Quadraflex Reference 610T Turntable
    MIT Term 4 Speaker Cables
    Signal Cable Interconns
    Rack Rider RR-15NL Power Cond/Surge

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    Options
    my 'newest' 2ch rig is the 'combat rig':

Realistic SA-100b 10 wpc integrated
    Realistic TM-175 tuner
    Panny portable CD player
    Polk Atrium 45's

This will be my hifi system for the next 5 months or so.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Yes, and I have a veritable PLETHORA of gear that says G. Grand on the bottom of it...

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Removed the Krell FPB200c power amp, added the Martin Logan Descent Subwoofer.

Michell Orbe SE Turntable, SME-V arm, Lyra Helikon Cartridge
    Balanced Audio Technology VK-D5SE CD Player
    Teac X10R Reel-to-Reel

Phono PreAmp:

Pass Labs X-Ono

PreAmp:

Balanced Audio Technology VK-50SE

Power Amps:

Krell FPB300c

Speakers:

Martin Logan Prodigies
    Martin Logan Descent Subwoofer

TT, CDP, preamps, and power supplies housed in a Zoethecus rack, which in turn sits on a Vibraplane.

The little amp sits on some slabs of granite; the big amp sits on Valid Points and a 4" block of maple.

Cabling:

TG Audio Silver Speaker Cables
    TG Audio Silver IC's
    Kimber Select KS-1130 Silver IC's
    MIT 330HE's to the sub
    Graham IC-70 Silver Phono Cable
    TG Audio Silver Phono Cable
    TG Audio SLVR Power Cords
    Audience PowerChord Power Cords
    TG Audio HSR-A Power Cords

AC:

4 dedicated circuits. Each amp has it's own 30A feed; all analog and pre's share a 20A feed; the CDP gets its own 20A feed.

The phono stage is plugged into a Balanced Power Technologies BPT-jr (wonderful improvement). Amps plug directly into wall. A pair of Monster HTS-2000's for the rest, with the CDP being the only thing plugged into one.

Room treatments:

EchoBusters Corner Flags
    ASC Half Rounds
    Some velvet curtains

Upgrades:

BPT's for all the gear - 1 for each amp, 1 for pre's, 1 for CDP.

Turn the 1 tall Zoethecus rack into two shorter racks.

Keep playing with vibration isolation.

More music!
  • rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    rlw, post some pics.

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

Disclaimer: I really suck as a photographer.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by George Grand
    The New Advent Loudspeaker (late 70's 10" two-way sealed box, currently in my daughters bedroom, recent re-foam, mint)

After 25 years, I'm still amazed at how uncolored and neutral these speakers are. BTW, mine are recent refoam also.

They have fabulous octave-to-octave balance and they dig to about 35 Hz strong with that great acoustic suspension tight bass.

The ferrofluid midrange-tweeter combo unit is amazingly effortless for its size, and brass and piano are rendered very well.

Downfalls - the soundstage is not what I would call rock solid, and they definitely lack the depth, imaging, and inner detail of more recent vintage quality speakers.

The New Advent Loudspeaker was one of THE landmark speakers of its time - a genuine milestone in the audio industry. I will never sell mine - not only do they still sound great, they hold great sentimental value for me.

Ed

SVS
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2003
    Options
    It's funny you should mention your New Advent Loudspeakers. Just yesterday I hooked mine up in my basement along with some other speakers I have not been using to see how they were holding up. Amplification was an old Sony pro-logic receiver but they still sounded pretty good. The speakers I hooked up were the New Advent Loudspeakers, Polk RT25is, AR-4Xs and some Advent Mini IIs. The ARs (circa 1971) have either crossover problemsor blown tweeters and im guessing its the tweeters. The New Advents still do sound good. They were put up due to torn foam surrounds. The little Advents are ok and would be fine for a satelite system. The Polk RT25is are an amazing little speaker holding their own with the bigger Advents. Pretty good bass, better and cleaner midrange and a totally different sound than the Advents on the highs. Here are some speakers that have been around the block a few times and even though they are low mid-fi at best, they have served me well.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Dr. Spec or George - I plan on keeping these Advents as long as I can hear and until just recently not aware that there were refoaming kits available. Did either of you do the job yourself and if so what kit did you get and how difficult was the job? Only one speaker surround is torn (see pic.) but I would like to put these back in service so I would need to refoam both.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    HEY! THOSE ARE THE SPEAKERS MY DAD IS GONNA SALE ME!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2003
    Options
    My woofers were already re-done when I got them. Get those foams done, and I'm not sure the Polk's will still keep up low-end wise. I'm not sure I would've described them as "low mid-fi".

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3276&item=1949586820

Here ya go, Shack. Mine were worse than yours.

OK George - waiting for the other foot to fall - which way are you going to go on the Advent sound quality? Worse or better than Shack's description?

Ed

SVS
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'm going to guess better, MUCH better.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • shack
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the info Ed.

Now to clear the record. I think the Advents are a wonderful speaker. I think the Advent has the edge over the RT25i on the upper range even though they are very different sounds. The mid-range is where the Polks excel in my opinion. It has a fuller sound that has a depth to it that seems better that the Advent and the Polks really image well. The Polk's bass, while very good given its size, is no match for the Advent. I assume that the Advents will improve when they are refoamed which will widen the gap. My comments were more about my impression of the quality little Polks rather than any disparaging remarks about the Advents. I listened to many small monitors including the B&W DM303, DM602, CM2, Paridigm Titans, PSB Minis, Linn Katan and Vienna Acoustics Hadyns as well as the LSi7 and Lsi9s trying to find something significantly better than the RT25is. I found them comparable to most but falling short of the Linn, VA and LSis (all in the $800 - $1,100 range).

George - as far as my low midfi definition, I know that Advent always said they compared to speakers 3 to 4 times their cost (SEE BELOW) but thier price range and status at the time put them in mid-fi category (however at that time you probably just had cheap consumer speakers and High End and everything else fell somewhere in between). That plus the fact that these were the utility grade cabinets is where I came up with that def.(I wish I could have stepped up to the better cabinet but at the time the sound was more important than the looks and this was a stretch for a kid just out of college). The Advents will be repaired and are definitely keepers.

adventad.jpg