Whatcha got....

Options
124»

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I extensively A-B'd the Advents and the RT800i on a variety of source material.

The RT800i has (I hated to admit this) slightly better definition in the low bass. The Advent has the edge in bass transient response (no surprise here with the sealed design) though.

The Advent has a more effortless room filling nature in the upper midrange and treble on high energy transients - the snare drum on the Advent is uncannily realistic.

The biggest difference: The RT800i has far superior detail, imaging and soundstage - it is much more 3 dimensional and stable in its presentation. I expected this after nearly 30 years of loudspeaker development. In comparison, the Advent has a very flat and somewhat smeared soundstage with much less inner detail. For classical music realism, the Polk totally outclasses the Advent.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • larssc
    larssc Posts: 1
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Dropped by to scope out replacement tweeter for my
    SDA2-A. Damn 2yr old grandson ! :-)

My system

Mirage 3si
    Adcom Gfa 545 ii
    adcom 555 pre amp
    adcom 575 cd
    adcom Gsp 560 Dolby pro
    Yamaha tx 500 tuner
    technics D1 table, Stanton 681 eee
    (it's in the cabinet)

Mirage mcc-r center
    Polk SDA2-a as surrounds

Larry
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I LIKE the sound of the big, old, acoustic suspension Advents, AR's, and KLH's. Figure out a way to measure the diffs between the designs, and the newer ones may well prove to be the more "accurate" of the two. Perhaps not. In the meantime we're here discussing "preferences" or perceived differences.

Time could well be the final arbiter of this discussion. Call me in 30 years with the resale price of a pair of RTI's. Any of the RTI's. We'll see if a mint pair can fetch as much, OR MORE, than they did yesterday. Like the Advent's are doing today.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I had a friend who had a set of Advent speakers shortly after we graduated high school. I still remember listening to Led Zeppelin at ridiculous volume levels. Around that time, Electro-Voice and EPI also had some good speakers. The first "good" speakers I owned were EPIs.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Doc, George,

Do you find the need to do any mid-range boosting with your Advents?

Always thought they had a bit of a "hole" there, as with all two-ways, but came closer than most to getting away with "it". At their price, and increased sensitivity vs. comparable 3-ways with their complex cross-overs, they really tempted me at the time...

Its amazing the number of groundbreaking products Harvey turned out at Advent to fund his video projector develop...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Everything is always flat here. Maybe Harvey Kloss is still alive and kicking, but Henry bit the dust.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Right, Henry... not the first or last brain **** I'll have and expose here... especially at the end of a long night.

Knew better, I just re-read his paper, "Hoffman's Iron Law" - A Curiously Useful Way of Looking at The Low-Frequency Performance of Loudspeakers, the other day.

Had misssed word of his passing until about an hour ago when I stumbled across the obit notice posted here ~11 months ago... it saddened me.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Doc, George,

Do you find the need to do any mid-range boosting with your Advents?

Always thought they had a bit of a "hole" there, as with all two-ways, but came closer than most to getting away with "it".

Not at all. In fact, the upper mid range is the forte of the Advent, IMO. If anything, it is bright and a bit harsh if the 3-way treble switch is run on Normal or Extended. I run mine on Decrease and it seems just right for my room acoustics.

The female voice, piano, brass horns, snare drums and anything else with high mid range energy is reproduced very naturally on the Advent.

It's really remarkable that the x-over is somewhere around 1,500 Hz and that mid/tweet unit plays that low so effortlessly and the woofer plays that high so cleanly.

These are easy to listen to for hours, and just sound so "right" on classic rock/pop - clean punchy bass, room filling power, and a clean forward midrange. They make you immediately want to sing along or play air guitar with the old classics.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • dholmes
    dholmes Posts: 1,136
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have 2 rti150 onkyo m-504 amp & 304 pre-amp, Toshiba 9200 dvd audio player, Audio control eq c101. Hey TroyD I remember them Dahlquist, they are a great spk
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
  • debussyj
    debussyj Posts: 198
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Hi,

Well I've got the following.

Two Classic Adcom GFA-555 Amps. (Electrostatics love the power)
    Acoustat 2+2 Electrostatic Speakers (Love Them)
    Audible Illusions Modulus 3 Preamp (Amperex Gold Pin Tubes)
    Nakamichi Dragon (Just Can't Part With It)
    VPI Turntable
    Revox 225 CD Player

This is a cool fun setup, but it does cost $$ to make changes and tweak it. Hey, isn't that what audio is all about?
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Tell me a little about the Acoustats if you please.

There was a pair advertised here in the paper some time back and I wanted to check them out but I had to go out of town and were sold by the time I came back.

Thanks!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • debussyj
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Hmm,

What can I say. Acoustat 2+2's were first introduced by the company in 1982. Naturally, they aren't manufactured anymore. I remember the first time I listened to them, couldn't afford them at the time, and literally drooled. Always swore I'd have a pair someday, and now I do. They are electrostatic panel speakers 8' feet in height by 20" inches wide and 3.5" inches thick. They weigh roughly 95 lbs. each. They are powered by Medallion Transformers located in the back of them. Don't let this fool you though, they still require a nice amount of power to achieve their best. That's why I have them bi-amped with two Adcom GFA-555's. The 2+2's have a frequency response of 28-20K Hz and a sound pressure level of 115db at 20' in a 15' x 24' room. Minimum power requirements are 50 watts per channel into 4 ohms. They're a bit more efficient than some of the other Acoustat models. The electrostatic panels are fairly bullet proof, it's the medallion transformers you have to watch out for. You just can' t readily replace much less get parts for these babies. But there's alot of mods people do to the transformers. They came with either black or white cloth coverings on the panels and various choices in base finish. Mine have black cloth and kind of look like the monolith from 2001. Thank God I have 8' foot ceilings too, because their height requirement can be a problematic. They really need to be in a room devoted to them.

Now for the best part the sound. Very detailed, they don't distort at all. As far as bottom end goes, well it doesn't shake the rafters, but rather jumps out at you and kind of grabs you in the guts. You do have the option of using a powered subwoofer with them, but I haven't opted for that yet because I had one in the past and got tired of my windows rattling. They like lots of power but on the preamp end, I like them with tubes because it tends to sweeten them up quite a bit. Bottom line is, wonderful wonderful speakers, if you can get beyond their size and power requirements. They never cease to amaze me with the various things I hear and continue to make me jump out of my chair !!!

Hope this answers your question.
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited January 2003
    Options
    denon 1802
    polk monitor 12 s2
    polk monitor 7
    polk monitor 5
    cs 400i
    ls fx
    carver mx-130 reciever
    carver m4.0t
    sansui au-717
    technics table
    homemade tube speakers.

scott

:cool:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2003
    Options
    debussyj, can you post a picture of those babies? i've never heard of them. but am real interested in what they look like.
    thanks
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • debussyj
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Hi,

Check out the following link.

http://www.audiocircuit.com/9041-esl-circuit/9041IMAI-CO.htm

This is a link to the electrostatic loudspeaker circuit. They have pictures of all the models of speakers Acoustat made during their time. Pretty interesting.
  • Marcus2114
    Marcus2114 Posts: 1
    edited February 2003
    Options
    My system has
    SONY ES Pre Amp
    LUXMAN M-4000 Power Amp
    MARANTZ 4300 W/SURE V-15III
    DENON DRM 22 3 Head casette
    SONY ES Disc changer
    BERWIN Pop and Click machines
    2 DYNACO ST-70's That I Highly modified
    DAHLQUIST DQ 10's W/ Matching DQ Sub and Crossover
    Since the DQ 10's are power hungry the LUXMAN powers them well
    JBL L65's
    POLK 5RJ's
    PIONEER RT 909 Reel
    I like to use the DYNACO's W/ The JBL's and POLK's
    HARMAN/KARDON CD Burner
    Amp and speaker switch box
    I've had most of these for a long time and I know there are better systems out and about, for me this system works well in my HI-FI Room.