Really Old Polks

Options
HBombToo
HBombToo Posts: 5,256
edited May 2002 in Troubleshooting
As memory serves I bought my fist pair of Polks in 91... I would like to rebuild these speakers if possible but cannot compile enough detail regarding the replacement parts.

The speakers are reference monitor 8T's with 2 -6 1/2- Speakers and a tweeter placed between them. I have no clue as to the proper crossover but I hope to just rebuild the entire speeker.

The cabinet is a well preserved cherry wood which I am happy with. This pair of oldies is now in service as my surround speakers but if there is an excessory such as a stand to increase the height I would appreciate a suggestion.

Any or all info on these speakers would really help.

Regards
Hbomb
***WAREMTAE***
Post edited by HBombToo on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Look in member services and you should find what you need.
    Sounds like you love your old speakers...........nice!
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited May 2002
    Options
    call ken swauger at polk audio C.S.: (800) 377-7655 x891

he'll get you sorted out...

good luck!
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited May 2002
    Options
    welcome to the forum...:D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    Options
    1991, REALLY old?? Christssakes, I've got T-shirts and skivvies older than that let alone audio gear.

Anyway, what you got, is probably on RTA8....all the parts you need are still available I would imagine. Like juice said, call Ken and he will get you pointed in the right direction.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Yes, definitely rebuild them - you'll be glad that you did.
    The old polk's of 1991 provide WONDERFUL sound - even
    by today's standards.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited May 2002
    Options
    To all that helped me, Thanks!

I contacted Ken as recommended and he hooked me up with all new stuff... Drivers, Tweeters and Crossovers which may be overkill but what the Hell. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the new parts and I'll let you know.

Also, I bought the Calibration DVD Polk has for sale and it is very informative. The audio cal tones definety are worth it and I could hear the audio degradation in the 8T compared to the 800's. Next step is a pressure meter.

Regards
    ***WAREMTAE***