The time is rapidly approaching........Sub options please....

12346»

Comments

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2006
    Each one will be powered by a 500.1 :).
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2006
    so, a realistic 600-almost 700 each
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited May 2006
    Confusion confusion confusion..........ha.

I got all my wiring and it appears that I've got some extra and some wrong things.....

I know we discussed getting 2 Y splitters for the front and connecting each channel (L&R sub out) to it's own Y and then running that to their own amp and delivering the signal that way to the subs. Can you remind me again why that's better than running a single interconnect from the sub out to one of the 500.1's and then using the throughput on one amp to the second amp?

Also, I ordered 2 Y cables and ended up with 4. They weren't specific about each package containing a Y from each channel (L&R).......anyway.....I can at least return one of those. Also, they sent me the ZN3FMM's but I actually needed the ZN3MFF's..........wonderful.

I might be able to send a few things back as well, but we'll see. Cutting the 1/0 gauge looks to be fun times, and I can't wait to attempt chopping a hole through my firewall.......lol.

Clarify the interconnect thing for me one more time por favor.....
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited May 2006
    I'm pretty sure its better to run one RCA to c500 #1, then use the pass through on c500 #1 to connect to c500#2. That way your not cutting your preout voltage in half, and its probably less wires as the splitter way probably still needs a short patch cable.

Howie
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2006
    Its not better or worse. If you were wanting to be able to balance between the left and right sub then you would want to use the Y adapters but if you dont want the balance control then there is nothing wrong with using the amps pre-outs. After all thats what theyre there for. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • brettw22
    edited May 2006
    Actually I was going to do a drawing from work but the program got wiped from my system......

For some reason, I thought that the interconnects were a single ended run, but they're a dual.......so here's what I'm thinking now:

From the dual RCA sub outs on the deck, take an interconnect to the trunk and then from each end, connect a y-cable to each of the 500.1's. With the stuff I got, that means I can return a pair of y's and an interconnect. I think this is how we'd discussed before, but it's a bit simplified with what I need to run instead of what was anticipated.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2006
    Brett...

Using a Y-splitter is the "safe for all" type of method.

Depening on the amplifier (and I haven't had a Polk amp opened up so I can't say which category it falls into), the 'pass through' output is either just soldered right to the RCA inputs (which would be the same as having used a Y-connector) or it is run through filtering / processing.

If it is simply tied in, then ya, using the pass-through is just fine.

If it is filtered, then I do not reccomend it at all. You want to be able to deal with each amplifier on its own terms... that is to say, without any 'interference' or 'monkey wrenching' from another amplifier in between it and the signal source.

God forbid the amp has a fixed pass through crossover... in which case you're always thrown off phase by 90 or 180 degrees or whatever. it can get a lot messier than that... throw an amp with a non defeatable 18 db / octave output pass through and chain it to an amp with a non defeatable 12 or 18 or whatever db/octave input crossover... now you've got slopes that are steeper than **** -- not to mention that if they don't mate 'just right' then you may completely throw the whole 'crossing-over' concept out of wack and end up at some funny frequency that you never expected with an inability to get where you want to be.

As far as the other user's comment about cutting voltage in half... that is not what happens.

When you place two amplifier inputs (or any other resistive device) upon a line carrying X voltage, then each amplifier receives X volts of input. 10 amplifiers? all 10 see X volts. This of course assumes that the source unit (your deck or EQ or whatever you are using) has an infinite current delivering capacity. In reality - current output of the deck is limited... to what? I don't know. I'm guessing about 2 milliamps though. So --- the average amplifier has an input impedance of 10,000 ohms. Let's say you're running 5 volt preouts... 5 / 10k = 0.5 milliamps. In short, you could run 4 amplifiers off of Y-connectors before you'd see any kind of voltage drop... and it would only be due to excessive current draw at over 4 amplifiers.

You would have the exact same problem with using pass throughs and hooking more than 4 amps together... unless of course teh amplifiers you're using have built in line drivers... but i don't know of many (if any now that i think of it) that do.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • brettw22
    edited May 2006
    I was with you up to "God Forbid".......lol.

I'll open up one of the 500.1's and get a detailed shot posted and maybe you can identify whatever you were describing which I wouldn't even know I'm looking at. Lemme do that and I'll get right back to here.
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited May 2006
    I'm with PoweredByDodge, that member who said you split the voltage is an idiot (who just happens to be 9 credit hours from his Masters in Electrical Engineering, scary huh?). I had heard the voltage halving thing a long time ago and never really thought about it (my whole carear has been embedded software, except the last few weeks,not hardware but I'm learning). He is right, you would split the current not the voltage. And I never thought a pass through would just be a short between the two connectors, but that makes sense so your still splitting the current in half(assuming the same load from each amp). Thanks for correcting my statement PoweredByDodge.

Howie
  • brettw22
    edited May 2006
    Here are the pics I took of the inside:
  • 1996blackmax
    edited May 2006
    Always nice to look as some nice guts....

Edit:

These are my guts :D. Shots taken from link below pictures.

inside1.jpg
    inside1.jpg

link to more guts:
    http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • brettw22
    edited May 2006
    pfft...i wasn't posting them for posterity or commentary........;)
  • 1996blackmax
    edited May 2006
    Hey the guts look nice, had to say it, whether you care or not does not matter :D

Much better than the swapmeet half circuit board desing :D. Meaning the circuit board is only half as big as the amp chassis...
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2006
    amp ****!