Carolina Polkfest II : 13-15 Oct 2006

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2006
    What a great time!

A few quotes I'll not soon forget.

Wendi to Stongbad... "I'm not used to holding one this big" (when he handed her his camera)

Amy (don't ask)..."we are all naked here...just with sweaters on"

Troy..."Somebody put a d**k on the snowman"

Anna..."When I get married I want a Polk device as a wedding gift" (Polk Paul already has the R&D folks working on a prototype).

Tour2ma...."I wish to hell that I WAS the one who moved them" (after he had been acused for the 20th time of "tweeking" the AR9s - It was Noel)

F1nut..."Well...that was a mistake" (on more than one occasion)

And this is just the stuff I can repeat....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited October 2006
    I just got in. It's 1 AM, and I gotta get some sleep. My liver has informed me I'm going to pay dearly for this little stunt.

I'll get proper later on...

Anthony
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2006
    Just got in. Took a nap just this side of Knoxville, then took a wrong turn and ended up going through Louisville on the way back.:rolleyes: It only adds distance. It takes about the same amount of time.....well close, maybe lost about 30 minutes.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    edited October 2006
    Slight correction Shack, that was "this is a mistake" as in it should have never be attempted at PF. :eek:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,935
    edited October 2006
    Jesse,
    The camera you speak of on AIM isnt my Camera. Its Troys. I was just taking random pictures throughout the night/day.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2006
    Many thanks to Troy and Wendi for hosting again, first class all the way.

Thanks to Polk Audio for supporting such a carnival.

It was very good to see old friends and meet new ones. How can this forum have only cool people?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • bert26
    bert26 Posts: 320
    edited October 2006
    I gotta add my thanks to Troy and Wendi as well (and Wendi's brother - what a GREAT cook!). Excellent time had by all. I really enjoyed meeting/seeing everyone.

Some (very) random thoughts -

Russ (Hoosier) - THE most laid back guy in the world.

Troy and Wendi - Great hosts - made a shy guy like me feel right at home from the word go.

Whiskey is the unofficial drink of PolkFest. George Grand - I brought some Gosling's in your honor but when I left it was still unopened. Next year ....

Russman only sounds scary on the forum. He's actually a big teddy bear.

Jesse (F1) is just plain nice to talk with. Low key and not condescending when dispensing advice. A genuine pleasure.

Yes - Anthony CAN get louder! What a great guy to hang out with. Hang tough Ant. See you next year.

I NEVER win raffles!

Mapquest sucks but Troy always know where he is.

Don't let Trey's (Sid's) posts fool you. He is a GREAT kid.

Lou is funny as hell and always has something to say.

Lee's amps ROCK and are only gonna get better with more tube burn in time (of course they must have about 30 hours on them by now!).

Lee is a wicked cool guy and humble enough to seek advice from the pros.

I have to sell all of my stuff and get some MAN AMPS.

9.5 hours in the car is just TOO long (but worth it for the 'fest).

Did I mention Troy and Wendi are great?

Steve loves to laugh AND looks awesome in a lab coat.

I think I have a genetic disposition to laugh at anything Mark (Doro) says.

Paul and Al are the most indulgent execs I have ever had the pleasure to run across. Rock on guys!

If you missed this, it's time to recheck your priorities.

Time to get to work....

Cheers!
    Chris
    HT Rig
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl - Anthem 2 SE
    Polk CSi5 - Adcom 555
    Polk Monitor 30 - HK DPR1005
    SVS PB12 ISD/2
    Denon DCD-1500II
    Sony SXRD 60"
    ShengYa CS-10

Basement Rig
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Carver 1.5t
    Carver C2
    Technics SLD202
    Some Other Sony DVD/CDP
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2006
    bert26 wrote:
    I gotta add my thanks to Troy and Wendi as well (and Wendi's brother - what a GREAT cook!). Excellent time had by all. I really enjoyed meeting/seeing everyone.

Some (very) random thoughts -

Whiskey is the unofficial drink of PolkFest. George Grand - I brought some Gosling's in your honor but when I left it was still unopened. Next year ....

Chris

I am very glad to see random thinking spreading!!!!

So NOT on the Goslings Chris, as it would not be PF if RT1 did not sip a little Rum!!!!!!!!!!! anyway, Thanks and it went down smooth, next year you, I and George will hoist a few.

Ok, so Sid, I mean for the past five or so years I have read his words and watched him age a bit. Allright, he is one of finest young men I have met. Mom has done a great job.

Troy, thanks for letting me rearrange your furniture!!!!!! The SDA couch rocks. The AR-9's with the VPI and the Dodd phono are definete winner:) So much bass.

Univera is destined to spend huge amounts of dollars on audio he has the bug.

I am sitting here at my desk feeling very content this morning, a great weekend.

RT1
  • bert26
    bert26 Posts: 320
    edited October 2006
    THAT is good to hear Ted - I find myself a bit more content at my desk now as well! ;)
    HT Rig
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl - Anthem 2 SE
    Polk CSi5 - Adcom 555
    Polk Monitor 30 - HK DPR1005
    SVS PB12 ISD/2
    Denon DCD-1500II
    Sony SXRD 60"
    ShengYa CS-10

Basement Rig
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Carver 1.5t
    Carver C2
    Technics SLD202
    Some Other Sony DVD/CDP
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2006
    What is the feeling about pictures?

A.) John Strong is handling it.
    B.) We are going to start PF6 in showcase.
    C.) Post here in this thread.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2006
    Here is my official weigh on on Carolina Polkfest '06

It was a THRILL to have everyone here. I swear that I have never laughed and smiled so much in such a short amount of time. It was great to get together with, what are now, old friends and make new ones.

HUGE thanks to Al and Paul and Polk for thier support. Without them, Polkfest would not be at all. They are the glue that binds us and just saying thanks doesn't seem to do it justice.

In no particular order:

Mark and Russ: The heart and soul of Polkfest. (or inny and outie)
    F1Nut: The secretary of the brotherhood. He keeps it righteous and on an even keel in the PolkNation
    Polk65: THAT is dedication
    RT1: Great guy, great gear, great friend
    DAGLJAM6: Where does he get all that great vinyl (and the cheescake??)
    Univera: Keep it in your pocket, broham. Another guy well on his way.
    Chris and Gloria: Sleeper GREAT guy here...needs to post more. SUPER COUPLE
    Lou/Dave: On TIME baby. Prompt. Hysterical guys.
    DisneyJoe: Looking great in a labcoat, baby.
    Strongbad: One of the ClubPolk founders. Great to meet a legend. Don't form your opinion of him from a pic leaning on a pair of 1C's in sweats and a wifebeater.
    Brett: Goes from 100mph to comatose in a matter of seconds
    Antny: Rock on brother. The torch has been passed.
    ND13: The big winner!
    Shackdaddy: Always the voice of reason and the one who shut it down this year
    Trey: No more calling him Sid. He's not a kid any more....
    BRUUUUUUCE: Never thought I'd see him slow a couple of steps but a hell of a guy that can laugh at anything.
    Hoosier21: Excellent. Nothing else needs to be added. Other than a tug of Beam
    Jim Beam: The reason my liver is filing for divorce
    AnnaBanna: Maybe next year...
    TLW: The GodMother of Polkfest. Among here many talents, the ability to throw one HELL of a party.

I'm leaving a LOT of things/people out. Some things by design, much due to fatigue/alcohol memory loss.

Quote of the 'fest: "WWJD?" "A tug on the handle. That's what."

It was, again, a great great time. I am absolutely humbled by you guys and I can't express thanks enough for what each of you all did to make this something that I'll never forget.

Also: I haven't done the final count BUT the donation that PF '06 will make to the Githens Center for the Handicapped in memory of Tiffany Grand will be more than 550 dollars. THAT is humbling.

BD(HOGGED UP)T
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    edited October 2006
    We need to do a showcase for the pics....
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited October 2006
    I will post my thoughts when I can get my brain out of park. I had nightmares last night that this Goose was coming to get me. I woke up swinging my fists in the air..."No, go away...no more...fly south damn you!"

Wednesday night i'll work on the photos and get some on my site. They can stay there or if Justin wants to do an official showcase here, then have at it buddy. You make the call.

Strongdead
    No excuses!
  • DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited October 2006
    An absolute blast, kinda' hit it's stride this year with most of the members already acquainted.
    BDT and Wendi ,as usual, the ultimate in hospitality. Heck of a spread Friday and Saturday.
    The rest of the gang what can you say....probably the nicest bunch of people you'd ever want to meet.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2006
    Paul,
    Don't forget about getting DJ7's name changed to DIZ.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited October 2006
    Can someone push the button to reboot my brain? Struggling bad today...
    No excuses!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2006
    John, Joe, etc, I'll email Justin tomorrow and get the user id/pass - then whoever (use good judgement) wants to post pics and add captions can - just pm/email me for the user/pass AFTER TOMORROW.

Paul many thanks for turning me onto two completely different, yet equally great peices of music. One of the highlights of the meet was getting my listen on with you (when ND13 wasn't talking ON and ON about Neil Young ;) )

More later.....Just got home.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2006
    Sounds Great Russ, thank you.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2006
    My wife Theresa, daughter Stephie, and myself are deeply touched that The Githens Center will be the recipient of such an unselfish act. Very timely as well, today is the first anniversary of the last day Tiffany was on this earth.

Paul's second paragraph pretty much sums up my feelings as well. What a phenomenon. I haven't owned Polk speakers for years, but this place is home.

I WILL be in attendance next year at Antny's. I've got a couple of liquor lockers full of firewater that have been looking for a place to be expended, and I'll bet if I ask real nice, Stephie and Theresa will whip up a batch of stuffed grape leaves.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2006
    You're more than welcome George.

You should hold 'Ted', above us all, by a little at least. He handled all the collecting of money, and distribution of tickets for that raffle. It wasn't that he did it, but HOW he did it. He was a natural born salesman, friendly, funny - he was throwing out one-liners like a professional comic, fast and razor sharp. I was VERY impressed (and thankful), as were most.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • George Grand
    edited October 2006
    Me and Tedwick already have a pending engagement over a bottle of Gosling's. All the better if it transpires at Antny's.

You need a moustache.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2006
    All I end up with is a dirty upper lip. It's not a good look for me, trust.

Too much American Indian blood in my family, and too much radiation therapy in that area when I had my cancer bout (age 9). No big deal, but you'll never see a stash here, much less a complete Nestor 3-day holly bush. I'm not kidding, I've accidently bumped into him, and his whiskers drew blood.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • TroyD
    edited October 2006
    Yup, Big Ted was the true hero here. Another reason to love the big guy.

BDT
  • George Grand
    edited October 2006
    I'm gonna bring a real good eyebrow pencil with me to Antny's then Crazy Horse.
    I used to accidentally stab Tiff with my moustache all the time when we snuggled. Poor kid. I'm not sure she understood what was happening. Real flinches.

Tedwick's getting some tongue at Antny's. Looks like he brought it all on himself, outta my control.

Shack, +1 for Cousin Brucie on the Good Buyers/Sellers list.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2006
    Shack, +1 for Cousin Brucie on the Good Buyers/Sellers list.

Noted.

I'm already looking forward to New Jersey Polkfest '07
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited October 2006
    Ok, the noob welcome wagon pic...

BDT, I thought you were standing to the right of "The Lovely Wendy"

I'm not making this up.

Sorry, Russ.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • F1nut
    edited October 2006
    Look close kiddies at the pic Shack posted above and meet our mascot, Mr. Boner Polk. :D

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited October 2006
    Outstanding weekend.

Thank you Troy and Wendi for hosting again. Your reputations for being both super friendly and knack for hosting an awesome party did not disappoint.

It was great seeing some of you again and meeting others for the first time. I can't remember much of what I was saying on Friday night only that I noticed my own slurred speech and it was damn annoying. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Thanks Al and Paul for being there and bringing all of us together over the years. Many here set examples and I can't think of a better bunch of people to enjoy this hobby with.

Some of us have nice pairs of dirty socks. Time to tweak.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,501
    edited October 2006
    Polk65 wrote:
    Sorry if I offended anyone.

offend?, nah! hard to offend when your incoherent :p
    dude, you were talkin another language..LOL it was priceless :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • F1nut
    edited October 2006
    ohskigod wrote:
    dude, you were talkin another language..LOL it was priceless :D

And something about what color to paint the ceiling in his hotel room.....LOL

Man, the thought of him working on the CRS+'s with a razor knife in hand really worried me. :eek:

President of Club Polk