JL 500/5 amp

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    ^^ Wow. That's seriously interesting. Amazing. This 'dark matter/dakr energy'...is that like black holes?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    Thats String Theory. Its the leading candidate right now for a grand unified theory thatll explain everything.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    Dark matter isnt black holes. They know black holes exist and have found a few. Dark matter is different and they dont know what it is.

If they take all the known matter in the universe it still wouldnt be enough to account for the gravitational effects we're seeing out there. Our own galaxy, if you took all the visible matter in it, would not be enough to keep the Milky Way together; way less than half actually. From what we can see, we should be flinging apart out into the universe. So obviously there is a lot more matter out there that we cant see but yet there is more of it than visible matter.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2006
    ...wow. Isn't the world around us amazing?

*is in awe*
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    mac's pretty much hit it on the head...

unfortunately, no, black holes aren't it... black holes can actually be detected by a characteristic radiation pattern (stephen hawking recently showed that they actually 'evaporate')... the dark stuff is dark in every sense of the word... it's invisible and detectable in only one way - gravitational lensing... a good wikipedia article is here, but the gist of it is that matter bends light around it like a lens...

the canonical description of a massive body in space is to visualise a bowling ball on a sheet of rubber... the sheet of rubber bends a lot close to the ball, not so much the further away you go. now, start far away from the ball, and shoot a marble just to the outside of it... the marble will roll in a straight line until it nears the ball, then it will curve around the dip the ball has made in the rubber, then as it clears the dip, it will resume travel in a straight line... gravitational lensing around dark matter is the same thing, except the marble is a light wave, and the bowling ball is invisible :p...

this is how they found the stuff... they saw the light bending, but there didn't seem to be anything there to make it bend! using precise measurements of the bending combined with accurate models of the motion of galaxies, you can actually reconstruct a map of the mass distribution in the universe, and it's totally mystifying, because we can only see bits and pieces of it...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    Dude, you have no idea. Thats what facinates me so much about astrophysics. Just trying to comprehend the size of our galaxy alone is staggering!!

Example:

The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second. You could orbit the earth 7 times in a single second at that speed.

The nearest start is Alpha Centuri and its 4 light years away. That means if you were traveling at the speed of light it would still take you 4 years to get to the NEAREST star.

Thats a single star yet there are billions of stars in the Milky Way which is several hundred thousand light years across. That means at the speed you could orbit the earth 7 times in 1 second, it would take you 200,000 years to cross the Milky Way!!!

The nearest galaxy, Andromeda, is 2,000,000 light years away!!!!!

There are billions of visible galaxies out there are grouped into clusters and there are billions of known clusters all billions of light years apart!

• neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    and that's why we use megaparsecs :p 1MPc = 3.32 million light-years, and the numbers are still incomprehensibly large... and yet, we also deal with scales down to 10^(-31) meters, the approximate length of the superstrings mac mentioned...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Red230SX
    Red230SX Posts: 211
    edited February 2006
    What did I start......

And FWIW I don't subscribe to the "You can go forward but you can't go backwards"
    theory. Most of this stuff is pure speculation and we have no way to prove most of it
    yet. But if you can go forward then you get into quantum dimensionality which I am
    not a beleiver of...

It sure is neat stuff to wrap the noodle around though...

Oh yeah, when I fire up my Line Array's for the first time, I think they are going to
    create a magnetic field large enough to warp space time in a localized area! :D
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited February 2006
    is everyone in here a geniuses
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • Red230SX
    edited February 2006
    98thumpin wrote:
    is everyone in here a geniuses

Nope, I am 27 points shy of that..... :D
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2006
    ^^ ROFLMREO!

Yeah, I think I'm....well...let's not go there....:p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    im far from being a genesis so
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    Yeah, I think I'm....well...
    "special"? :D

red230 - i hear ya on the speculation bit, that's why i qualified it with 'as far as we understand time and space'... pretty much all we know is that quantum bits are real things, not illusions, and that gravity is an **** for not bowing to our wishes and reuniting with the other forces... beyond that, strings, m-theory, and so on, it is all very 'theoretical'... like quantum dimensions (the 6 or 7 dimensions above and beyond our normal 3.5-4 dimensions), superstrings are just a way of describing the problem that yields the correct answer... doesn't mean it's the right way of describing the problem...

a good analogy i heard once:

an alien scientific task force decides to study earth, and the first phenomenon they hit on is a pro soccer game. these aliens, however, have the peculiar INability to see simple black and white patterns - their brain simply does not register them. so, the aliens study and study... they see the main players running in clumps and patterns, occasionally doing strange dances... sometimes one of the people at the goal will leap into the air, and half the crowd erupts each time this happens, but it's not always the same half of the crowd... they'll hear the occasional whistle, and the players will back up into some formation... so on and so forth...

so the big smart scientist aliens derive a huge set of complicated rules that perfectly describes every soccer game they've seen, and is completely correct from their point of view... then, one of the junior scientists proposes two radical things - that there is some particle that they cannot see, around which the game is focused, and that there is an invisible force governing some of the noises and patterns in the game... having postulated the existence of the ball and referee, they go back and re-analyse the game, and derive FIFA's rule book :p

in the same way, we are at the second step as far as quanta go, but probably very much at the first as far as superstrings go...

• 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    you guys are very smart i give you all credit
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    oh god that was a dumb episode (the plastic block) -- lol.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    To quote Stephen Hawking who is smarter than all of us put together x10! "I dont believe time travel is possible. If it was, why havent we been visited by any time travelers then?"

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2006
    Maybe we have and don't know it :D.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    you guys need **** alcohol.

and yes, we're all geniuses.
  • 1996blackmax
    edited February 2006
    I have been tempted to go buy that 5L baby Heineken keg :D. I do not drink very often, but thought about it for the Superbowl.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    molson keg can.... 1/4 keg
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    Get ya a Warsteiner 5 liter keg. That REAL German beer right there!

• 1996blackmax
    edited February 2006
    My good friend was stationed in Germany and he said they are very serious about their beer :D.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    "I dont believe time travel is possible. If it was, why havent we been visited by any time travelers then?"
    haven't you seen the Stewie movie? They're not allowed to disclose the truth.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    family guy movie - retarded...

family guy show - awesome!

• Red230SX
    edited February 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    To quote Stephen Hawking who is smarter than all of us put together x10! "I dont believe time travel is possible. If it was, why havent we been visited by any time travelers then?"

We HAVE been visited! Look up John Titor on the net :D

Any guy that time travels in a Corvette has to be legit my friend! And I don't
    care what Stephen says, I respect his opinion and I think he's a great guy and
    I can listen to his speeches for hours.... But his opinion (however highly
    educated it may be) is not fact.

:)

Neo,

Cool analogy!

Some of us do need alcohol... I don't drink though! Make mine a diet Coke on
    the Rocks! :p
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    yeah, i've read some of that titor guy, strange stuff...

of course, at this point, backwards time travel is totally up in the air, though leaning towards the side of impossible...

• HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited February 2006
    I time travel every day or two…

Go over to the music case, pull out something from the sixties and drop it in the player
  • deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited February 2006
    Crazy weather we are having huh?
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    deepinya wrote:
    Crazy weather we are having huh?
    :D

nope, not here :p

hiperf - very cool way of looking at it :)

• HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited February 2006
    I tried to build a time machine out of an old water heater but I ended up just loosing a finger.

While I was in the hospital I came up with this new approach...

To date I have lost no more appendages.