RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • Red230SX
    Red230SX Posts: 211
    edited February 2006
    98thumpin wrote:
    why have a crossover on the hu and amp doesnt on one do the job at a time

There should only ever be one crossover "functioning" at one time. It doesn't
    matter if it's Active (Electronic) or Passive (Caps,Resistors,Inductors) when
    you cascade crossover circuits you can cause all sorts of issues with phase
    cancellation, time delay etc.

So if you have two XO's (like one on an amp and one on a HU) find out which
    is better and use that one, and shut the other one off.

Toxis,

The raw drivers and XO parts came to just shy of $2000.00 and that included
    CNC Routed Baffles and Internal Braces (less work for me to do) All I have to
    do is use 3 sheets of 3/4 MDF or HDF add wiring, breadboard for XO's or how
    ever you wish to assemble them and then figure out how to finish the cabinets.

All told I should have less than $3K into them when done. And I doubt anything
    under 40K is going to compete with them either. :)
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    ... i like this new guy
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited February 2006
    What was the original question again? :p
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    "is the 500/5 good?", more or less... but $3k line arrays are much cooler :p
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    deepinya wrote:

Get used to it son! We derail more threads around here than Amtrack!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2006
    Red - Can I touch them when you're done? :D
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    only if you promise to keep your pants on...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited February 2006
    the only reason one amp sounds better or worse than another that i can think of would be hoe much of a piece of **** you have for a sub also a db212-2 a great sub will sound like **** with a piece of **** amp. goes both ways why waste money on a great sub if your gonna push it with a left to be desired amp
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    the only way an amp would sound bad is if it had a **** sub, or vice versa for instance a db212-2 a great sub will sound bad if a **** amp is driving it or if a good amp is drivng a left to be desired sub
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    and who is the new guy if your talking about me thanks and sorry for thwe double post my bad
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • deepinya
    edited February 2006
    Im sure the new guy hes referring to is the one using proper grammar and punctuation. :p
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    Well Im Not An English Major
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • Red230SX
    edited February 2006
    ... i like this new guy

Who's the new guy? :)
  • Red230SX
    edited February 2006
    Toxis wrote:
    Red - Can I touch them when you're done? :D

Do you have a hot sister? I might consider letting you touch the Line Arrays if
    you do.... :D Hehe
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    i think the 'new guy' in pbd's case is red230sx... and 98thumpin, i'm a physics major... if anyone should be typing like a four-year-old, it should be me!

p.s. i feel that i should mention that this is because physicists use words like 'matrix' not to refer to cool movies, but rather to nasty math (like 'group'... it's not what you' think), and 'bound' doesn't refer to kinky sex games, but rather to much less exciting particle physics...

• PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    neo --- also you physics geeks use "flux", not to refer to a mispelling of "f***s" but rather ... ah forget it...

yes, Red's the "new guy"...

while perfect grammar, etc, is not necessary on here, one does need to speak in a manner that can at least be UNDERSTOOD without reading the post 7 times.

my mother always said, "if you dont' have anything good to say, then tell their friends".
  • Red230SX
    edited February 2006
    Neo,

I try to speak as clearly as I can. Sure I make mistakes (I do not use a spell checker)
    but I think on the whole, I do fairly well. I also type like a fiend and that can attribute
    to some of my mistakes! :)

So is it true if I channel 1.21 Jiggawatts through a Flux Capacitor I can time travel? I
    always thought that was a bit hokey even though I loved the movies. I personally
    would rather have superconducting magnets arranged to create a spherical bubble of
    high magnetic flux which would cause a localized warp in space-time. But I digress and
    I really don't want to take this thread into a whole other direction! :)

Woo Hoo, I am the "new guy" and some people like me! This is cool! Usually people
    just call me an **** and ignore me! :D
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    if one could store flux in a capacitor, who knows? however, flux of any kind is unfortunately defined as the change of a field through a plane, and is therefore a 'concept' rather than a 'thing'...

and we were ripping on 98thingy for typing badly, not you :p

• PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    neomagus00 wrote:
    and we were ripping on 98thingy for typing badly, not you :p

its not just the bad typing... its the complete lack of coherent thought.

i fear for the history of america's youth.
  • Red230SX
    edited February 2006
    PBD,

LOL I say the same thing, every, single, day! And yes the commas were for dramatic effect! :)

Neo, I know you wasn't ripping on my typing :)

I am going to go out and see if I can capture some flux in a capacitor. I have a bunch
    of Solen caps laying here in my desk drawer, certainly I should be able to capture
    some! *huge grin* :D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2006
    you fear for the HISTORY???
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    well, if we make it long enough to establish some sort of history, i suppose... perhaps 'future' would have been a better word?

red230 - if you manage to do that, let me be the first to congratulate you on your new Nobel Prize! :D

• Red230SX
    edited February 2006
    Neo,

That would be my Second Nobel.. The first was when I invented Cold Fusion.... Hahaha!
  • deepinya
    edited February 2006
    deepinya wrote:

...and I quote!

haha

Time travel would own, make it so!
  • 98thumpin
    edited February 2006
    hey hey its 98thumpin? allright i have to defend myself, so what if i cant type or spell, and yes im new to car audio trying to learn as much as possible and so far everyone has been helpful. but i dont appreciate being crack on for my lack of knowledge or grammer. thanks
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    er... um... yes, i meant future... woops.

or maybe you could say that i intentionally placed that error in, so as to draw more attention to the problem. or not...

watch, someday down the road, somebody will come up with something like a flux capacitor --- or some sort of wacky time travel thing. "well why haven't we had visitors from the future yet?" --- maybe because the time machine is limited and can only go forward?!?!?! .... or not.

I remember an episode of MacGyver, when he was filling in as a formula one driver for the Phoenix Foundation sponsored car. someone sabotaged one of the other driver's vehicles, and the security camera only caught the person (in the act) for a split second. So MacGyver is with the security / computer tech wizard and goes, "ok, can we export the frozen frame as a bit map (two separate words). then let's blow it up and work with the pixels" --- or some crap like that... all i could think was, "dammit MacGyver, you need Adobe Photoshop!"
  • Red230SX
    edited February 2006
    "ok, can we export the frozen frame as a bit map (two separate words). then let's blow it up and work with the pixels" --- or some crap like that... all i could think was, "dammit MacGyver, you need Adobe Photoshop!"
    <
    ROTFLMFAO!!!!! :D And yep I remember that episode clear as day! Though
    I think my favorite episode was the plastic engine block..... The wave of the
    future!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    Red230SX wrote:
    the plastic engine block..... The wave of the
    future!
    *wrinkles forehead*

Yeah...that'd be nice....
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    well, as far as we understand time and space and so on, time travel is only possible in the direction we're used to experiencing it, 'forward'... to go backward involves essentially moving at right angles to reality, which is a problem no one's quite been able to solve...

an interesting tidbit... you've heard of dark matter / dark energy, right? it makes up about 75% of the known universe, and we can only detect it through its gravitational effect on other stars and galaxies... astronomers have ruled out every known type of astronomical matter as the culprit, leaving themselves totally stumped... one theory - and it's feasible and gaining respect - is that our universe (somewhere between 4 and 11 dimensions, depending on the length scale we're concerned with and which theory we're looking at) actually moves through a 5-12 dimensional space... so basically we're an d-dimensional plane or membrane in d+1 dimensional space... and in these theories, the only force that is NOT constrained to that d-brane is gravity... thus, the explanation for dark matter is that it's not actually matter in our universe, but rather gravity that's leaking away from other d-branes into our own... and the kicker is, they have ideas on how to TEST this theory... we shall see...