Sound deadening has started

13»

Comments

• jroberts_101
    jroberts_101 Posts: 106
    edited March 2006
    hey dude how much is an alarm that would roll up the windows after u get out? thats pretty sweet in my opinion.

also what happens if its hot outside and u want em cracked a little or somethin and still want the car locked?
    Polk Momo MMC6500
    Polk Momo C300.2
    Polk Momo MM2124 (2)
    Polk Momo C500.1
    Pioneer DEH-P7600MP
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2006
    i actually have no idea how much they are, i got mine off ebay for pretty cheap and i can do everything myself. You can have them cracked...and I'll have a proximity sensor so if anyone tries to reach their hand in my truck the proximity sensor will pick em up and set the alarm off.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • exalted512
    edited April 2006
    the floor is done!...almost.

Slow day at work today so i was able to put mat on the back wall under the window and sludge that and everything else that needed to be sludged on the floor. Tomorrow im going to go in and touch up any spots i missed, paint the spectrum on and itll be done. If all goes well, carpet will be back in next weekend. w00t.
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited April 2006
    got everything touched up and put spectrum (the true liquid stuff) over everything, including the front since i hadnt done it yet. More pictures coming up in a second
  • exalted512
    edited April 2006
    actually, i lied, i cant get these other pictures small enough to upload em
    -Cody
  • deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited April 2006
    LIAR!

How did you get the spectrum on so thick? Thats not the sludge correct?
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited April 2006
    Is there such thing as overdoing this type of stuff? I mean, I'm sure no one will see it once everything is put back on etc etc, but isn't there a point of diminishing ROI?

That said, send me your pics at the email address I PM'd ya and I can either post them or send them back to you.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2006
    well this has mainly just been an experiment more than anything. I just wanted to see what I liked the best, what stuff works best where and so on.

If/when I have to do this again, I'll know exactly what I need and how much of it ill need. It will not be this extensive. But to answer your question, no, you cannot have too much. Mickey Brones, one of the best "sound qualityists"(yes i made that up) has clay, yes, clay, in his entire car.

Yea, thats spectrum. As far as how I got it so thick. I used (and have since mastered) the art of "globbing." Just stick a paint brush in, glob it on whatever youre doing...lol. You notice the floor is thicker than the back wall. Thats because gravity kicks **** as far as the floor goes, but it sucks on vertical surfaces;)

-Cody
  • exalted512
    edited April 2006
    thanks to brett, im hosting a couple more pictures
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2006
    Damn that looks like a lot of work.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited April 2006
    its not that bad, the sludge stuff is just like mud, just glob it on there. the liquid is just like painting, but you dont have to worry about it running.
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited April 2006
    if all goes well, carpet will be back in today:D
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited April 2006
    carpet is back in the truck!

wow, i havent had carpet in a little under 5 months...havent drove it yet to see what its like though...pics coming up tomorrow night
    -Cody
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,528
    edited April 2006
    haha...

Am I the only one that looks like you put 20 layers of duct tape on there? lol

Awesome.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2006
    Cody your getting me all pumped up to put some of that in my car :D.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2006
    i think it'd be funny if you discover it really doesn't help that much... or that the extra weight is too annoying :p
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2006
    I have taken a peek under my carpet, it could use a good amount of sound deadening :).
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2006
    yah... i did the same a while ago, found that there was a more-or-less worthless sheet of padding, and then filling that was basically 'great stuff'... not bad, i definitely noticed a difference for the worse when i tore it all out, but it wasn't huge.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited May 2006
    Here are the final pictures:

Here you can somewhat see that I painted, well, more like "globbed" the liquid spectrum as far up the firewall as i could get
    531337_288_full.jpg

Heres the back wall. Again, my patented "glob the **** on" technique works very well:
    531337_287_full.jpg

Luxury liner...its expensive, but reusable:D
    531337_286_full.jpg

Stock insulation and air vents:
    531337_289_full.jpg

Carpet!
    531337_290_full.jpg

More carpet!
    531337_291_full.jpg

As far as results, I'm very pleased. Will I ever spend this much on deadening again? Probably not. This was more or less an experiment to see what worked best and in what places it worked best in.

If I were to do it again and have a moderate system (aka not 2 1600wrms subs) i would do spectrum over the whole car. (or possibly firewall, havent tried that stuff yet, its going in the doors). Why? Simply because its the easiest to apply with the best results. You can actually just spray it in. Or even pour it in and take a paint brush and even it out. I would still do mat on the doors, followed spectrum over it, simply because doors are extremely important and liquid deadner will not fill all the holes in it. Depending if I had a loud car, I would get the luxury liner, if it was already pretty quiet, I wouldnt.

Whats left? Doors, possibly put spectrum on the hood, and fender wells. Im hoping to get a little more improvement with the fender wells done. But right now, the only place im getting noise is through the doors, little through the firewall, and then the windshield. Im hoping doing the fender wells will reduce a lot of that. I also have "motor mat" to put on the hood. Im interested to see how well it works.

How loud is it? Not very. The only noise I can hear in the engine. Thats with no ac and no radio. Even at WOT, its still pretty damn quiet. Turn the ac to dial 1(out of 5) and it drains out the engine(at 70mph). Im still mad that I can hear the little ridges in the side of the road, but then again theyre made to be heard...lol. But thats what I'll be testing the fender wells with...see how loud it is without them coated, then see how loud it is with spectrum on them. The deadening is probably almost all the way cured, so I doubt itll get any quieter from now on, at least not noticably quieter to my ear. School ends this week for me, so next weekend if im not unpacking or anything like that, I might be able to get the fenders and hood done. Im buying new midbass drivers so im waiting until i get them in before i do the doors because ill be cutting the door to fit 8s. Ill be doing it like this but using firewall instead of sludge.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2119519/2
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2119519/3

But the floor is done. Sound deadening as a whole is looking like itll be done by the end of may if all goes well.
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2006
    very tasty work, nicely done...

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2006
    Very nice work.

Its a lot more work than Ill ever do though. Luckily, they make the Ram's pretty damn quiet from the factory! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D