velodyne or polk

Stocks_sd
Stocks_sd Posts: 28
edited May 2002 in Speakers
What does everyone think about Velodyne's CHT series compared to polk's subs? Thinking about getting a CHT120.

Thanks
Post edited by Stocks_sd on

Comments

• Stocks_sd
    edited April 2002
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    None of the above.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • snookking
    snookking Posts: 18
    edited April 2002
    I like the velodyne cht 15, they blow away the polks at CC.
    If your not snook fishing, then your not fishing at all.
  • matthew_2
    matthew_2 Posts: 52
    edited April 2002
    I heard the CHT12 last night, not to much bass. Boomy, and slow for music.

SVS seem to be the best subs going right now.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    The real question is do you like the sub??
    Personally I perfer Polk sub's(of today) over velodyne cht sub's.The seem to have more slam mode(if that what you like)Polk sub's tend to be slightly more musical.The cht's are more ..movie action mode.
    Now the task at hand is to test that theory.Is it for you or not.
    Velodyne's play loud and hard, but boomy at times.Polk's play loud and clean but can boom is not set up correctly.
    You choose.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    First question, imho, is is this for music (2ch rig), or an HT rig?

If meant to be a musical sub, I would look at DIY sealed designs, or perhaps a B&W, or something like the JMLab Chorus or higher end Velo....(depending on your budget).

For a good ht sub (and somewhat musical also), I would suggest offerings from HSU, SVS, Velodyne HGS, and some kits and diy (such as the Dayton Titanic).

Hate to say it, but the two series you mentioned are mere 'woofers' in boxes, with mediocre at best amplification. Not that they won't fill your need, they might. If you want a TRUE sub, you are going to have to drop a little more coin, or build it yourself.

Cheers,
    Russ

In all honesty, for a low-powered 2ch rig on a budget, 2 PSW250's (run in stereo) are fairly decent, and can present a decent kick-drum when mated with shelf-mount speakers.....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TheGrayGhost
    TheGrayGhost Posts: 196
    edited April 2002
    You should also consider the Rava sub. Sealed box and not bad at $399.

http://www.adireaudio.com/home_audio/Loudspeakers/exact_series/rava.htm
    Best Regards, Cliff
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    Yes yes yes, The Rava, at 4 franklins, VERY tough to beat...

Good call grayghost.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Stocks_sd
    edited April 2002
    I guess I should of gave a little more info.

I bought my whole system last May at cc, including a psw450, without putting much thought into the sub. (1st time buyer) It sounds great in my theater but I do listen to a lot of music too. And although I'm not unhappy with it musically, I'm not happy with it either. Since I don't have $1500 to shell out on a new sub I guess I was just hoping somebody was going to tell me how much better the velodyne was. $50 bucks and a trade in and I would be good to go. Oh well, just some wishful thinking. :)

Thanks for the replies.
    Randy
  • TheGrayGhost
    TheGrayGhost Posts: 196
    edited April 2002
    Randy,

Save your $50 until you have enough for a good musical subwoofer. I upgraded my Velodyne sub to a sealed box and have never looked back. In my opinion the Velo is a one note sub and not very good for music. It is an excellent boom-boom box for home theater.
    Best Regards, Cliff
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2002
    I would also look at the Paradigm PDR series.....price is very competitive to velo and polk.....More musical than either the polk or velo.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited April 2002
    of course opinions will vary..but I have two velos...the ct150 and the cht8... love both..never cared for the polk subs myself...they are boomey and sloppy..but that is what I have always heard myeslf...notice..the Personal notes..... as far as velo being being musical??? i love my ct150 on my jazz , rock, etc...it is xoverd at 60 though.. if you want one that you can at 120..wich to me any sub at that sounds nasty... dont goe velo or polk...
  • matthew_2
    matthew_2 Posts: 52
    edited April 2002
    Man, no one says anything about SVS on the forum. Nice change I guess. HTF seem to think SVS are the ONLY way to go. Highly regarded on Klipsch BB as well.

I do think however there are better subs for music. (from what I have heard.) If you live in Canada, a Paradigm PW2200 is a great deal!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2002
    They CERTAINLY look cool.....never heard one though. I wonder how musical they are. That is the telling factor to me.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Stocks_sd
    edited April 2002
    Well? :( Time to start saving again.

But damn it! I want it now!! :D

Thanks again
    Randy
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited May 2002
    I like the Sunfires & the Carver subs. I do have a Polk PWS650 which is a good sub for music & ht, & I also have a Carver Knight Shadow which I like very much. The sub is just 11" x 11" x 11" & it rocks! Once I blended it in with my system It works awsome. Music is smooth & not boomy & for HT it delevers the lows. The sub is smooth & tight, & I think it is faster than my 650. On the other hand it costs twice as much as a PSW650. My 650 is being repaired (again for the 2nd time in 3 mo. owned it for 3 mo been in the shop over 1 mo.)& when it comes back Ill put it up for sale & save for a sunfire true sub or a true sub jr. I just got LSi15 front mains, LSiC & LSiFX rear surrounds & the carver blends right in with my new speakers! If you like Velodyne check the HGS series. The HGS-10 is very close to the Carver Knight Shadow specs. But the carver is much less in price. The Sunfire Architectural Sub is very close the the Carver K S But again much less in price. I looked & listened to the carver, velodyne & Sunfire's & they all seemed very very close. Save some $ & buy a good sub form the get go
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited May 2002
    I've read some very good things about Velodyne's SPL series; specifically, their 10" SPL-1000, which can be had for roughly $700 and is purported to have an excellent musical functionality.
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited May 2002
    My fav subs are Polk and Def Techs 15tl+ @ http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/subwoofers/subwoofers.html
    Musical, Clean tight punch is the only way to go.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2002
    I've read about many people adding/subtracting the batting/baffling material in their subs. I've read this about kits, DIY, and manufactured. This can make a HT sub become more musical, or a musical sub become more HT. Try also moving and/or isolating your sub. If you've already got it.

For music, I like multiple, smaller drivers. They usually don't go as low, but tend to be faster. Most music doesn't go that low.

For HT you can get a larger driver that will usually hit lower. Even a slow thump in the chest from a car/plane crash is good.

To get a sub that is both fast and deep be prepared to spend some money and living space. The cost can be offset (slightly) by a good DIY enclosure using quality drivers. Welcome to the addiction.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    If you truely want a sub that is most flexable...........enter into REL.
    REL makes the best of both worlds.For music they blend in like it wasn't even there, for movies they can relocate your sitting area.A true sub be able to hit down to 20hz, if it can't(like most sub's and All current Polk sub's)then you have a speaker powered box.Like I still do.
    Another cool thing about Rel's is the fact that you can run line level and balanced speaker level at the same time,with different setting for each input.Enter music sub and theater sub at the same time.Not many other sub's can do that.

I wonder what my next sub will be????:lol:
    Dan
  • xfontanax
    xfontanax Posts: 82
    edited May 2002
    I agree with the REL, the sub blends so well it diappears with your setup. Very musical.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    i have 2 psw-650s and im not looking back with 2 one on each channels right& left on the mains with rt-7 on pedestals i t makes a better balance and deeper sound stage, the 650 set up right are a real musical sub its hard to beat for the money, i think you need 2 of them to do them right. im going to get the lsi-9 to replace the rt-7s
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    Joe,
    ever try stacking them on top of each other???This makes such killer setup.I did a job last week with 2 B&W asw2500's and I desided to stack them on top of each other.Man what performance I got out of those sub's.Having 2 sub's makes real hard placement( I owned 2 at one time in the PSW450 and a Alantic technology I forget the model number it was given to me by my work years ago, I got it out).
    Dan
  • joe logston
    edited May 2002
    hi mantis, got a large 15" for placement, i use te psw-650 & rt-7 as one unit for the mains, got rt-20p for the surounds. its like having the large srt sysem. and works great, you should hear, the only way to improve it is repace the rt-7 with the lsi-9

. rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• joe logston
    edited May 2002
    hey mantis , i have the yamaha rx-v1 and im running my mains from my aragon 4004 mark 2 so if i got the lsi-9 they are 4 ohms and it will be a killer system i think, i hope, it is now a killer system, and i have a older denon poa-2400 amp that i modedfide to run the surounds rt-20p powerd towers
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• mantis
    edited May 2002
    I remember reading a post before that you owned the RXV1.tHAT SUCKER HAS KILLER POWER AND VERY CLEAN.You like the seperate amps better than the Yamah's amps???
    You setup sound killer,I bet it sounds real good.Damn using rt20p's for rears,thats just bad ****.
    But Aragon makes some real Dynamic and crystal clean amps, i have installed them in the past, I loved them then.
    The Older Denon amp you own is that the one with the built in preamp lookin thing.I did this guys house a year ago that had these Denon mono block's but they were weird they had like a built in preamp or something different about them, I can't remember now.
    Dan
  • joe logston
    edited May 2002
    yes it haves volume controls on right and left channels and two sets of stereo speaker out puts, i modifide it buy takingout the a&b out puts and buypassing the volume controls and having the amp direct two cannels
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• mantis
    edited May 2002
    Yeah,
    I know thats amp.It sounds pretty good.
    Dan
  • gplracer
    gplracer Posts: 36
    edited May 2002
    I had a ct-10 and took it back. It was real boomy. I listened to the Polk and it was similar. Both units have decent bass but that is all. I bought two svs subs and frankly there is no comparison. Before people would come over with the velodyne and say, "nice system" Now that I have the svs subs they come over and go, "Oh my god I can not believe the bass! There is so much and it is so clean" There really is no need to compare because the difference is too great. I get 120 spls at 20hz and the velodyne barely did 20hz! I have polk speakers and I love them but the only way to go with the sub is svs. Go to www.svsubwoofers.com
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited May 2002
    Well, you're talking Velodyne's cheapest models; I seriously doubt that you'd get those type of results with Velodyne's better subs. I also doubt that SVS is the only way to go.