SRS this and SDA that , What no room for older rt series????

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,059
edited October 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Now that I'm gonna offically join the Vintage group, I figured I'd do it in my own style...... I scored a pair of Vintage rt12's in black wood grain finish.

Funny how I scored them....

I had this customer from like 4 years ago. I did her system in her livingroom and upgraded to inwalls. No more floor standing big black speakers in her high end room. I told her if she ever wanted to get rid of her Polk rt12's that I would be intrested in them. Well today I go back for a service call and she said she had something in the basement that belong to me. I thought I must have left a tool behind. She opened up the closet door and there they sat. The rt12's in black woodgrain. I always wanted a pair of rt16's from that era. I tried to buy a pair but when I got up the cash, the new rt1000p's where out and no rt 16's anywhere in site. So back then thats what I bought.
I was so happy to get them she made my day.

Well I brought them home and unhooked the Dynaudios and connected the 12's. Man what a fun speaker to own. I like em . I can sit here and listen without any expectations. With Rotel driving them, they are very warm and comfortable to listen to. Jazz and Soundscapes is what I have been listening to as thats exactly the kind of music I sat in THE WIZ audio store when I fell in love with the rt16 back then. I wish they where the rt16's but the 12's are bringing back all the times. The days of looking at the polk mag wishing I owned them.

They have been on since 7pm and I can't find a reason to shut them off. I'm wondering if you guys have something like this that ties you to the older speakers? Is it the older sound? the memories from long ago that holds you here??? The level of detail is nowhere to be found compared to todays speakers but with the old desire to own this era for me make me not care anything about there level of detail. I like them exaclty the way they are.

Dan
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2005
    Options
    The attraction to older models, in a lot of cases is bang for the buck. Just because it's a couple years old doesn't mean it can't sound just as good or better than the new stuff.

You, no offense, seem to think, it's gotta have the new car smell and shine. Me? Just the opposite. I'm cheap and with vintage, your dollar goes a hell of a lot farther with new. Take my two stereo rigs. If I paid new MSRP prices on either rig, I'm looking at close to 10K on either one. Buying used and so forth, pffffft....pennies on the dollar. Literally. So, I got nice gear and I don't have to write a monthly check to Visa to remind myself how cool my gear is.

Vintage Polk is cool and it sounds great. Then you get to the SDA's which are in a whole other league.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Vintage Polks are all over my listening room and hiding in a closet or two also. IMO, it's the only way to go, Polkwise that is. My next SPEAKER stop, will be in the Vintage Maggie or Amazing store :D
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • mantis
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Bang for the buck, I can go with that, **** dude mine where free. No offence taken but I'm around new gear all the time and I pefer new gear personally. I never found pleasure of owning used anything. It's just how I am.

As far as SDA , I owned a pair of SDA 2b's in black ash. I didn't like em at all. I thought my rt1000p's smoked them in every way. I gave them to my uncle who also owns a pair of Monitor 10b's. He owns my rt1000p's and now both the monitors and SDA's sit in his basement unused.

Shame he won't give them up or maybe he would but they could use a good home to someone who would love them as he did.

Dan
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hey, if you like new, no worries. I sleep well knowing that I have two rigs that you would have to spend in excess of 10 grand to equal (in new dollars) in performance.

SDA isn't for everyone and that's fine.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2005
    Options
    RT7's anchor the 2ch video rig. Allday Allabout.

High Five!
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,078
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Old... RT... very...very cool.

The RT5 was outstanding. One of the best Polks to come in my room. Not the best Polks Ive heard - but the best to step foot in this room.

Great speakers, very smooth, very balanced...very warm - VERY detailed.

Congrats Dan...

Any pics?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Man, I LIKE these Kimber cables, too bad they have to be out of my sole Saturday morning.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Why, first of the month?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2005
    Options
    ED Z.....

I think AQ is the flava for October.

BDT
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I was running new Polks in my 2 ch w/ a receiver. When I stepped up to seperates the augmented midbass from the receiver dissapeared leaving the new Polks sounding lifeless (except for the high end). Old Polks offered deep bass response and better mids for little $$$ so I made the move(s). Now the new Polks are strictly HT and the old Monitor 11's, 10's, (and coming soon) RTA11t's are doing their thing in the 2 ch rig. I'm pretty happy with everything the way it is - I just have to decide which vintage Polk is going to be a permanent resident.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mantis
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Your a month early guys, Audioquest isn't coming untill November. It also has to prove itself compared to Kimber.After my conversation with Audioquest, I think I have to go extreme high end with them to match or beat my current wire. anyways...

I will snap some pic's later today after work. I listened to them all night lastnight and enjoyed my experience with them. I think they would make for a nice starter 2 channel system. I'm thinking some Rotel Intergraded with a Rotel cd player. Maybe wire it all up in Audioquest ...LOL.Maybe I can find some B&K laying around to use.

Dan
    Dan
  • halo
    edited September 2005
    Options
    mantis wrote:
    Your a month early guys, Audioquest isn't coming untill November. It also has to prove itself compared to Kimber.After my conversation with Audioquest, I think I have to go extreme high end with them to match or beat my current wire. anyways...

I will snap some pic's later today after work. I listened to them all night lastnight and enjoyed my experience with them. I think they would make for a nice starter 2 channel system. I'm thinking some Rotel Intergraded with a Rotel cd player. Maybe wire it all up in Audioquest ...LOL.Maybe I can find some B&K laying around to use.

Dan

Are you in the right thread Dan? Did you mean to post this here?: link If I'm wrong please accept my apologies
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Yes he is in the right thread, he's gettin' his RT12 on.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited September 2005
    Options
    TroyD wrote:
    ED Z.....

I think AQ is the flava for October.

BDT

I think you're gonna miss the "Kimber" midrange....sorry for the de-rail. Regulary scheduled programming will resume now...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mantis
    edited September 2005
    Options
    steveinaz wrote:
    I think you're gonna miss the "Kimber" midrange....sorry for the de-rail. Regulary scheduled programming will resume now...

This is what I'm going to find out. I'm completely happy with Kimber and I'm not trying to change it but I have the opportunity to try there line out so what they hell right???

peersool,
    thats just TroyD's way of breaking my stones. It's years in the making. You may not been around when it all began....it's like a damn saga. This thead is about as Russ pointed out, me getting my rt12's on. I'm also getting my cs250-S and psw50 front array on. I got all this in the package. It sound completely out of line when using Dynaudio 42W's for rears. Man what a difference in sound.

I'm still cool with it.

Dan
    Dan
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited September 2005
    Options
    mantis wrote:
    I never found pleasure of owning used anything. It's just how I am.

And how would that be exactly? Spoiled? :p
  • halo
    edited September 2005
    Options
    mantis wrote:
    peersool,
    thats just TroyD's way of breaking my stones. It's years in the making. You may not been around when it all began....it's like a damn saga. This thead is about as Russ pointed out, me getting my rt12's on. I'm also getting my cs250-S and psw50 front array on. I got all this in the package. It sound completely out of line when using Dynaudio 42W's for rears. Man what a difference in sound.

I'm still cool with it.

Dan

Thanks Russ & thanks Dan. Yes, I'm somewhat aware of Troy vs. Dan (remember?). I just didn't get it here. Glad to hear your diggin' your new, uh, vintage RT12's.
  • mantis
    edited October 2005
    Options
    With that being said I will give them a short review.

The RT12's are a nice sounding speaker. They present a fully warm and comfortable sound. To my suprise , there not bright. They are however bass heavy but not out of control.
    I think Jazz was in mind when they where designed as they seem to play that kind of music the best. They can play everything to there abilities but Jazz sticks out for them.
    I compared them to my Dynaudio Audience 82's for the sheer hell of it and it was completely unfair. The little rt12's couldn't keep up anywhere. The depth that the 82's have goes way behond what the polks can do. The polks also miss alot. They kinda jumble tones together and don't allow for complete seperation between instruments.I also think the Tweeter is limited. It's not bright but it seems to fall off somewhere. I can't hear the cymbols like I can on the Dyns. I can hear it but it's mixed with other tones.
    For home theater use, they did better. Still, they got lost when complicated passes happened. As music , the movie soundtrack got jumbled up a bit. When I switched back to the Dyn's, many new tones appeared and there was air around everything.

I know I maybe picking on the flaws of this speaker, but comparing them to a speaker way out of it's class will do so. Even with all that I found in comparsion, I still like they overall sound quality of these speakers. Honestly I have no expectations of them.I except them for what they are and I'm happy to have them.
    Owning such anal speakers in the Dyn's allow me to sit back and just listen to the music on the polks. Not trying to hear every breath and instruments playing as if it was the only thing coming out of the speakers.

For the office soon to be 2 channel on the cheap rig, I think they will do just fine. If not I will offer them up to anyone who is looking for them and wants to own them. There in really good shape and I have the matching cs250-s center channel.

Dan
    Dan
  • halo
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Nice review Dan. :cool:
  • mantis
    edited October 2005
    Options
    How about a pic of my new friends....
    Dan
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,091
    edited October 2005
    Options
    peersool wrote:
    I was running new Polks in my 2 ch w/ a receiver. When I stepped up to seperates the augmented midbass from the receiver dissapeared leaving the new Polks sounding lifeless (except for the high end). Old Polks offered deep bass response and better mids for little $$$ so I made the move(s). Now the new Polks are strictly HT and the old Monitor 11's, 10's, (and coming soon) RTA11t's are doing their thing in the 2 ch rig. I'm pretty happy with everything the way it is - I just have to decide which vintage Polk is going to be a permanent resident.

Peersool, when you get your RTA-11's and have spent some time with them let me know what you think about this vintage Polk speaker i'd be especially interested in your response comparing the Mon 10 & 11's. Rarely does someone own all 3 models at once to do a comparison. Here since it is somewhat related (vintage??) or in a new speaker thread. Thanks

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • halo
    edited October 2005
    Options
    heiney9 wrote:
    Peersool, when you get your RTA-11's and have spent some time with them let me know what you think about this vintage Polk speaker i'd be especially interested in your response comparing the Mon 10 & 11's.
    I've had them for 3 or 4 days now. My comparisions are as follows:
    • Monitor 10A - These have the peerless tweeters and new replacement midbass drivers from Polk (Thanks Ken!). I also have these on the stands with 3 degrees of tilt. These are excellent speakers with a decent amount of tight bass and excellent mids. I found the highs somewhat fatiguing after more than an hour of listening. My rig may be on the bright side. The highs were very clear and detailed though.
    • Monitor 11 - All original drivers and, again, peerless tweeters. Similar to the 10's but with a little more punch (not much of a difference but it's there) and what seemed to be better placement of...everything. Easier to close your eyes and be center stage - vocals in the middle and more able to locate each instrument. Maybe it was the whole RTA thing described in the manual. The crossovers on the 10's & 11's had to be different. The 11's are designated as left channel and right channel by decals on the backs of the cabinets. Not as difficult over long listening periods but after a while same situation with the 10's. Like I said my gear is on the bright side.
    • RTA11t - So far I like what I'm hearing. Attenuated highs and more bass response than the 11's. The longer I listen to these they seem to get better and better. I do feel that I'm losing some of the details that the peerless gave me. I plan on adding the RDO194-1 replacements as well as rebuilding the x-overs with (a lot of) help from fellow CP members and Ken at CS. I really like the tower design as it will fit into my room better. The 10's & 11's are just too big and boxy for my enviroment.

I remeber you were thinking of going with the LSi9's(?) and replacing your RTA11t's but were worried about losing bass reponse. I figure that if that's the case why not just get the 9's and something from HSU or SVS to handle the bottom end?
    Rarely does someone own all 3 models at once to do a comparison.
    LOL - You know who dorokusai is right?
  • heiney9
    edited October 2005
    Options
    peersool wrote:
    I've had them for 3 or 4 days now. My comparisions are as follows:
    • Monitor 10A - These have the peerless tweeters and new replacement midbass drivers from Polk (Thanks Ken!). I also have these on the stands with 3 degrees of tilt. These are excellent speakers with a decent amount of tight bass and excellent mids. I found the highs somewhat fatiguing after more than an hour of listening. My rig may be on the bright side. The highs were very clear and detailed though.
    • Monitor 11 - All original drivers and, again, peerless tweeters. Similar to the 10's but with a little more punch (not much of a difference but it's there) and what seemed to be better placement of...everything. Easier to close your eyes and be center stage - vocals in the middle and more able to locate each instrument. Maybe it was the whole RTA thing described in the manual. The crossovers on the 10's & 11's had to be different. The 11's are designated as left channel and right channel by decals on the backs of the cabinets. Not as difficult over long listening periods but after a while same situation with the 10's. Like I said my gear is on the bright side.
    • RTA11t - So far I like what I'm hearing. Attenuated highs and more bass response than the 11's. The longer I listen to these they seem to get better and better. I do feel that I'm losing some of the details that the peerless gave me. I plan on adding the RDO194-1 replacements as well as rebuilding the x-overs with (a lot of) help from fellow CP members and Ken at CS. I really like the tower design as it will fit into my room better. The 10's & 11's are just too big and boxy for my enviroment.

I remeber you were thinking of going with the LSi9's(?) and replacing your RTA11t's but were worried about losing bass reponse. I figure that if that's the case why not just get the 9's and something from HSU or SVS to handle the bottom end?

LOL - You know who dorokusai is right?

Oh yeah I know Doro (Mark) and am aware of the many others with mutiple Polks around here :) .

I have never been a big fan of seperate satelite/bookshelf and subwoofer combo's. There doesn't seem to be really good integration for 2 channel listening which is what I do. There are many things I like about my 11's. With this design (MTM) you do have a limited sweet spot. The typical equalateral triangle seems to be the best listening position. No toe in just straight forward. When you are in the spot they really present a great soundstage and image very well. Turn off the lights or close you eyes and they seem to disappear. Bass is very good and has good impact and delineation which is what, in my mind, I think I would miss by getting the Lsi-9's. Could be mistaken.

The sl2000 tweet really is an annoying piece of work. The farther up the audio chain your source moves the more inadequate this model tweeter becomes. I've been struggling with it for quite awhile now and for the most part have been listening with out my DAC hooked up, lately. It seems the extra detail the DAC provides just really causes the upper range presentation to be completely out of whack. These tweets seem to ramp-up so quickly when a better souce component is added and top to bottom integration is completely out of line. It's really been a less than pleasureable experience lately, very forward and in your face. So much so that I thought maybe some of my gear (amp) was out of spec. The Nak by itself sounds pretty good even though alot of detail and air is missing from the music. Also the soundstage is pretty flat, and the bass is a bit uncontrolled and muddy and lacks extension, but it's easier on the whole to listen to. So this is what I'm experimenting with right now.

So I'm ordering the replacements even though I'm not sure how long I will keep these 11's in the mix. IF I decide to purchase some Lsi-9's in the future. I figure I could always sell the RDO's here if no one wants to buy my 11's on the FM, and just sell the 11's on e-bay with the original tweets.

I will be anxiously awaiting the x-over upgrade for the RTA-11's because with a new x-over and tweets it would certainly breath a little new life in these speaks. I know nothing about how to figure out how to do it, but I can follow directions pretty well. So keep ME/us posted. :)

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • halo
    edited October 2005
    Options
    You could always sell the sl2000's on ebay to offset the cost of the RDO194-1's. That's what I was gonna do. ;)

Ken is sending me the shematic for the RTA11t's & I'll need help to get the job done but I'll let you know how it goes. Heck your not that far from me - maybe we should get together and do 'em at the same time. :)
  • heiney9
    edited October 2005
    Options
    peersool wrote:
    You could always sell the sl2000's on ebay to offset the cost of the RDO194-1's. That's what I was gonna do. ;)

Ken is sending me the shematic for the RTA11t's & I'll need help to get the job done but I'll let you know how it goes. Heck your not that far from me - maybe we should get together and do 'em at the same time. :)

That's a good idea..sorta make it a group project. Do you know if Polk still sells a replacement x-over? I'd hate to mess up the one and only set, if they still have them avail.....then if they got mucked-up it wouldn't be total loss. Maybe it's not that big a deal :confused: . I'm thinking these x-overs are much simpler than the SDA's so maybe there won't be too many parts involved.

H9
  • halo
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Don't know if they still make it - call or e-mail Ken at Polk CS KSwauger@polkaudio.com.
  • heiney9
    edited October 2005
    Options
    peersool wrote:
    Don't know if they still make it - call or e-mail Ken at Polk CS KSwauger@polkaudio.com.

Yeah, I know I was trying to take the easy way out and see if you knew :D .

H9
  • halo
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Cool! Thanks for the info :D
  • mantis
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Well folks I think my fun is coming to an end. These Polks are not for me. Memories held up for awhile but when swithing back to my Dyns they tell me to leave the past in the past. Great speakers for the money when new (799.99 for the pair) which I feel is a great price. Even the psw50 performs very well. The matching cs250-s blends in perfectly with the 12's. This would make for a very nice front end to someone home theater.
    I'm gonna put them all in the flea market for good prices and find them a good home.

Dan
    Dan