Will movie theatres survive the next decade?

Options
spawn1031
spawn1031 Posts: 14
edited April 2002 in Music & Movies
I recently went to see Blade II. Naturally the plot was full of holes, but the martial arts sequences were excellent.
My problem is, I've grown so accustomed to watching progressively scanned digital video on a properly calibrated HDTV monitor (I know dvd's are limited to standard digital video because of storage capacity and bandwith), and enjoying Digital 6.1 at home, that paying $9.00 at the Multiplex is getting harder to justify.
The picture quality of the film was horrible! This is the third movie I seen at a theatre, in the last year and a half,where the colors looked washed out, and the resolution was laughable.
With the cost of home theatre declining, along with the quality of product coming out of Hollywood, I don't think movie theatres will survive the next decade in their current format.
Post edited by spawn1031 on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2002
    Options
    They may die off a bit, but they will survive. Why?

1. Because it is a social date thing.

2. Most people do not have the following:
    watching progressively scanned digital video on a properly calibrated HDTV monitor

3. Most people will not invest in the above.

4. Movies make there money at theaters. If theaters die, so will the movie industry. They could not survive on DVD/VHS sales alone.

5. Most HT enthusists still go to the movies.

I've only been to an actual theater once in the last two years. Nothing coming out this year is looking good enough to go. So, I for one will wait, save my money and buy the DVDs. I aviod the theaters, but most do not.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    Options
    i hear you, although i frequent the movies often cause i love the social aspect of 'going out to the movies', i find my movie attendance is dwindling as well. i find myself asking my gf, would you rather just buy a new DVD and watch it at home? usually saves me some $ and adds another DVD to the collection. there are still those must see in the theater movies ie. lord of the rings IMO. and although i understand where you are coming from and even my movie going is slowly decreasing, the theater experience will not, and can not (for reason's mentioned by ron) die, or else their would be no more need for our HT's. remember, we are still in the minority of the public who can accurately reproduce the theater experience in the comfort of our own homes...
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I think the theaters will survive because most people can't wait for the DVD or VHS to come out to see the latest "hot" movie. Plus it is a social thing that will never go away.

I think many HT fans are willing to wait because they have a lot invested in their setup. Plus they prefer the HT experience which includes GREAT picture, GREAT sound, no talking kids or adults, no messy floors, cheaper and better snacks (the popcorn sucks since they quit using coconut oil plus you can drink beer if you are so inclined) and lastly you can watch it whenever you want.

I think the theaters for the most part have the sound down pretty good. The next step will be to improve the quality of the picture. I don't think we are far from the huge digital screens. They could do it now but the cost would be prohibative and I don't think it would increase traffic enough to justify the cost.

I like Ron, rarely go to the movies. Any James Bond, Jurassic Park, Star Wars or Indiana Jones movie will get my bucks but mainly because I've seen them all on the big screen and don't want to break tradition. I used to go to a lot of Disney when my kids were younger but they look so much better at home now. For every thing else I save my money and buy dvds and upgrade the system.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • pensacola
    pensacola Posts: 269
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Keep in mind that there are a lot of movie buffs out there who don't have a home theater. For them, razor-sharp picture quality or a soundtrack that explores the limits of human sensation is not nearly as important as the artistic qualities of a film. They, along with the general public, will keep movie theaters going (along with $3 Cokes and $4 candy bars).

I have to wonder how many home theater aficionados are actually movie buffs, and how many are simply into the "gee-wizardry" of HT. Nothing wrong with being in the latter group... just making the distinction.

Give War A Chance
  • spawn1031
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I was just curious as to whether anyone else had a similar experience. I know that Lucasfilm was pushing for the digital theatre format but right now they're the lone voice in the wilderness. Shack very concisely summed it up when he mentioned the cost of conversion for theatre owners. Right now, to my knowlege Episode II is the only movie filmed in DV Widescreen format.
    I'm not much of a movie theatre regular myself. I used to go often but , as I said, the quality of screenplay and acting began to drop. For every Shreck, Apollo 13, or Usual Suspects, those of us over 20 have to endure a zillion, "The Fast and the Furious" , and "I Know What You Did Last Summer" titles.
    Not to mention the audience with their underage kids watching R rated movies, and the dreaded wireless phones, which somehow seems to legitimize rudness these days.
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I rarely go to the movies now as well, I have a long term GF, so 'dates' usually don't find us at a movie theater :) I enjoy watching at home..I can control every aspect of the situation, eat any food I want, be as loud or quite as I want, and not have to worry about other people being loud or whatever. It's funny that all of us 'film buffs' and HT fanatics feel like this....oh well, I guess we're 'odd' anyway in our obsession. My roomates poke fun at my enthusiasm in HT, but as soon as I turn on my system they want to watch :D
  • spawn1031
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I just received Die Hard I and II, 5 star Collection dvd ( I hated part III). I watched them with a friend who'd never seen part 2... She loved them! They're both presented in widescreen format w/ DTS 5.1.
    I felt like I was watching them for the first time! They didn't seem dated in the least. The best movies really survive the test of time.
    It's difficult to explain to those who don't yet have HT. It really goes beyond simply watching movies. There are so many nuances that go into what makes up a scene, that lend to the overall story, that for many reasons, really can't be appreciated on a movie theatre screen . I find myself picking up small details like textures, lighting, color usage, and especially sound.
    I've lost count of the number of times I've watched (and listened to) the pod race in Episode I (admittedly, the most mediocre Star Wars film).
    The discreet channel sounds are terriffic! I can't wait to hear it on a true THX certified 6.1 system.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by spawn1031
    The best movies really survive the test of time.

Good movies, like any other artistic work always stands the test of time.

I also find myself going out to the movies less and less. In addition to the benefit of not having my movie watching experience obstructed by the general public, I like all the extra features that come with a DVD. Besides, when you figure in the cost of tickets for two, gasoline, and refreshments, you have gone over the average cost of a DVD anyway. Of course, there is that rather stiff one time charge to set up a home theater.

One of my friends looked at my DVD collection and said he didn't understand why I would waste money on buying movies because I've seen them all before. He said he can't stand to see a movie over again because he knows everything that's going to happen.

I asked him why does he continue to have sex with his wife when he has done it all before and he "knows everything that's going to happen".

The "light" then turned on in his brain and he understood that a thing of beauty is a joy forever, even if you have seen, or heard, or done it all before.;)
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Movie theater's are fun to go to.I still go and Iv'e owned home theater since the 80's.The movies experience is what is all about.You can't fit a screen that large in your house, or can you???mmmmmmmmm
    well anyway I just saw Resident Evil and man what an impact.The dynamic range was out of control.I loved every minute of it.We love to go to the movies, it get's you out of the house for a while and it's just plain fun.
    I hear you on the Picture quality.It is poor compared to what you can get at home,but it is a soft picture, and easy on the eyes.No croma bug in that picture.Sometimes I wonder how good does the picture need to be???480p is super killer lookin and 1080i????does it need to be any better then that??
    movies is also about the story,I know us sick people don't always realize that but it's true.
    Dan:p
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • hamzahsh
    hamzahsh Posts: 439
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I love my Home Theater System and I still love to go to Movie Theaters. The big picture and sound is for everybody. DVDs look better 'cause they are digitally remastered but nothing can beat the resolution of film. Film has the highest resolution than any other thing in the world which maintains the colours, contrast and sharpness at minimal loss. I know LCD or DLP projectors can go up to 300 inches max or the most 400 but nothing after that.

Audio is great in movie theaters. I have absolutely no complains about it. Video is great too 'cause size is the matter not quality for hundreds of viewers.
    Panasonic TH-50PX80U Plasma HDTV
    Polk Audio RT800i (fronts)
    Polk Audio CS400i (center)
    Polk Audio F/X1000 (side surrounds)
    Polk Audio RTi6 (back surrrounds)
    Velodyne CHT-15 (subwoofer)
    Yamaha RX-V1400 (Pre/Pro)
    NAD C272 (2-ch Amp)
    Adcom GFA-7605 (5-ch Amp)
    Toshiba SD-3109 (DVD/CD player)
    Malata DVP-580 (Multi-region DVD player)
  • pensacola
    pensacola Posts: 269
    edited April 2002
    Options
    In movie theaters, one gets the added bonus of other patrons talking back to the screen—depending whereabouts you live.:rolleyes:

Give War A Chance
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Don't forget about the other "added bonus" of being surrounded by other patrons crunching loudly on their overpriced, stale, greasy popcorn.:mad:

I think that movie houses will always be around. When televisions first became popular, there was some concern that theaters were doomed. However, being the social creatures that we are, I don't think that large gatherings for socializing/entertainment will ever go out of style.;)
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2002
    Options
    but theaters make their money on the popcorn
    theaters are also instaling dlp projectors
  • Fly B
    Fly B Posts: 18
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I think movie houses will survive, for many of the same reasons others have stated: the social aspects, and the fact that the general public just doesn't "get" the HT thing. A trip to the "show" is still a simple and relatively inexpensive family activity, and it does get everyone out of the house.

Personally, I prefer enjoying flicks at home. I, also, went to see BLADE II recently, and it was enjoyable (especially when chicks would freak out at the gross parts), but I remember thinking, "Man, I can't wait to get this on DVD and watch it at home--it'll look and sound so much better..." Keep in mind, though, that the local theatres around here really suck, for the most part. I swear to God, one theatre nearby boasts in big letters outside its door, "STEREO SOUND!" What is this, 1978?

But again, most people don't know or care to know the ins in outs of HT. You can see them all the time in electronics store asking the help if there's away to get rid of those black bars at the top and bottom of the screen...then their eyes glaze over when the discussion leads to HDTV....Heaven forfend the phrase "anamorphic widescreen" enters the conversation.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2002
    Options
    This is a very cool thread. I have been thinking about this stuff alot. It is a fact that hometheater is surpassing movietheater in both picture and sound quality. I live in a town with a 30 year old theater. The projector brakes the film about twice every show. No surround --one speaker up front full range and no sub at all. But 35 minutes away the are two brand new theaters across the street from eachother --one is THX and the other is DD.
    I see about three movies a year at the theater. Last one was Blade 2 and it was well worth it. There are way too many cons for me to go to the theaters any more than that. Movie theaters will survive but they have to keep up with the scottvamp's of the world. Ha!
    I know LCD or DLP projectors can go up to 300 inches max or the most 400 but nothing after that.
    Ya baby!!! As soon as a move into bigger house my Sanyo LCD and me will be sporting between a 20 to 30 foot screen. I can't wait. I just read an artical about my projector and it says that the picture quality actually improves after the 15 foot range. At that point I will be chargeing admission.:eek:
  • johnnyamerika
    edited April 2002
    Options
    >I can't wait. I just read an artical about my projector and it says that the picture quality actually improves after the 15 foot range. At that point I will be chargeing admission.

You know your setup is good when you need to get permission from the studio to show your movie at your house :D
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2002
    Options
    here in las vegas there are so many theaters around you cant count them all, and they fill them all, ea. cosino has 5 or 6 theaters and a lot of them are new, and they are building more. so i think that it wont die, why would they keep building them.
    my self i dont go no more, i love mine at home, i wait for the dvds to come out, but my wife goes some times, i guess i should go to compair mine to the big screens, but there is noting like watching a good movie in widescreen, in dts es 6 channel at home.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • johnnyamerika
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I just went to a theater friday, one with very good sound, very comfortable and a great picture. However I still didn't enjoy it as much as my home theater! I thought, my sound is almost as good, and I can place sounds better...the picture of course is a vast improvement, but I don't really mind mine either...this theater was one of the best in the area too....but after this visit, I have reenforced that HT is better in my book :D
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2002
    Options
    just to let you know if lucas has his way the priceses will go up agon from 8.50 to ? he wants all movies to be shot digitaley witch will drive up the priceses