sr6500's

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Thom
    The SR crossovers have a 2nd order low pass for the mid, and a third order high pass for the tweeter. Neither driver is bandpassed.

These ring radiators are not the same driver as the ones used in the Lsi home speakers. They work much better in a car. I put in some Lsi home tweeters in my Protege years ago and they are very directional and needed quite a bit of EQ (partly because of firing into the windshield). Plus they were so big they didn't leave many spots to put them. The new, smaller ring radiator works well off- axis (as good as the carbon series tweeter), at least in the kick panels of my Civic, and the doors of my boss's WRX, and the other few installs we've done so far. And they're much easier to mount.

The mounting of the SR tweeter and the MMC tweeters are very different. The MMC tweeter snaps into a cup, and the SR tweeter has a spider clip and trim ring. When mounted in coax mode they twist to lock into place.

Dude, where were you yesterday when all these questions were being asked? And why doesn't the specs section have better info about the crossover? I thought that it might be the way you explained it but felt that the bandpass idea was more likely to help save cost. Then again, I can only go with the info I have available and that's not a whole lot.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Jstas
    Dude, where were you yesterday when all these questions were being asked? And why doesn't the specs section have better info about the crossover?

I can't live here and I only check the forums while at work (my home connection is SLOOOOOW).

Because we put info up the second we knew something, and it will be updated shortly with everything.
  • Thom
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by PolkThug
    Will CC carry them? ...or only Tweeter...:rolleyes:

Our Momo never worked out in CC, so I doubt $750 components would do all that well.

Tweeter will have them, and whatever independant shops that choose to order them. I'm sure a few other regional chains will have them too, but that's not my department.
  • Thom
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by 05LegacyGT
    Will they be available before the 1st of August??

Go ask your local dealer if he can get them before then. It'll depend on how quickly people order them. My guess is that Tweeter will have them before then, if you're near one ask them.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    Alright Thom, one last question.

I personally think the swivel tweeter mount is sheer genius! It allowed me to fine tune my image tons better than I could have with a stationary "angle mount" cup.

Sooooo, will the SR's have a swivel mount tweeter? please say yes, please say yes, please say yes
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Thom
    edited July 2005
    The coax mode gives you two options- straight and angle. The angle posts can be spun in whatever direction works best.

When mounting the tweeter seperately you have straight and angle trim rings. The angle ring is a fixed 15 degree, but you'll want to know where to aim them because the hole required isn't quite a circle.

I'll try to post a picture of everything included, if we don't get it on the official page soon.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Ugh! That sucks. That swivel mount made it so easy! Drill 2 small holes and stick it on there and then you can adjust til your little heart's content. :mad:

I kinda figured the SR's wouldnt have this feature as the ring tweeter's design is probably a lot different from the standard Momo tweet.

Im sure itll work out fine. I just liked that you could tweak the aim while driving down the road. It shouldnt be a problem tho, now that Ive already determined which angle works best I can just stick em on there like that.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2005
    Also, there will not be a surface mount option. You have to be a real man and cut a hole in your door!:D If you spend some time planning out the system and listening to different loactions, there shouldn't be a need for more than the straight flush mount or the angle flush mount.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    you have to expect a damn good install to go with speakers that cost as much as these... they just deserve it...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    I'm just going to rebuild the whole interior for mine! When I get them that is. May not be until Christmas though.

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2005
    So, if I cut a hole, should I cut 1 1/2 inches, or 22mm???

:D:D:D
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    Cut 22mm holes so I can laugh at you.

Ah hell, I will laugh at you anyway for making such a stupid joke.

Don't worry, just because my head is shaking from side to side doesn't mean I'm not laughing on the inside. At you that is. Because that is what I am doing. Laughing at you. Not with you, AT you.

• PolkThug
    edited July 2005
    Crap! I cut a 1 1/2" hole, and the driver just fell through it, now its stuck inside my door. :(
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    I'm still laughing at you.

• MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Josh
    Also, there will not be a surface mount option. You have to be a real man and cut a hole in your door!:D If you spend some time planning out the system and listening to different loactions, there shouldn't be a need for more than the straight flush mount or the angle flush mount.

Oh, now this sucks is a BIG way!!! Ive tried my tweets in the dash, a-pillars and they work best in the sail panels. Unfortunately there isnt enough room inside the panels to flush mount them. Not to mention my drivers panel fires right into the dash.

A-pillars are out for flulsh mounting as well as they fire directly into the windshield.

This really, really SUCKS! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Thom
    edited July 2005
    But this tweeter only has a depth of about 3/4" when mounted in the flat trim ring, so it'll fit in some places that the Momo cups won't.

You'll just have to be creative, and do a little more work. :D
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    But why??

Why couldnt you have just made a surface, swivel mount? Those were just perfect! That way you could aim them perfectly, mount them anywhere and if you sold your truck it was easy to patch those 2 tiny hole!

A mounting depth that small wont be a problem then, just the aiming. Maybe I can go with kick panels.

That surface, swivel mount was just too perfect wasnt it!?!

I feel a whine coming on...........

• PolkThug
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    That surface, swivel mount was just too perfect wasnt it!?!

I feel a whine coming on...........

Time to learn fabrication!
  • Thom
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    That way you could aim them perfectly, mount them anywhere and if you sold your truck it was easy to patch those 2 tiny hole!

Only on a plastic panel, if you pop two holes on a vinyl wrapped door panel, you might as well cut one big one and do it right...
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Well, its not impossible.

With that small a depth, they will fit in my sail panels I just wont be able to aim them the way I want so my imaging will suffer some.

At the least I could mount them in the factory mounting spots which is in the dash. They would be firing into the windshield but they would fit perfectly there.

Plus Ive been toying around with the idea of trying kick panels anyway so this may be a good time.

Where there's a will, there's a way!

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2005
    Kick it, biznitch! Fibaglizzass!
  • neomagus00
    edited July 2005
    i'm now truly frightened... josh made up a double-z word...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    I could use those Q Form kick's.

They say some 6.5's will fit in there.

Use those as theyre already the same color and custom fitted then line the back of them with Dynamat. That should take care of them being so flimsy.

I was also looking at my A pillars. If I mounted them low they would fire directly across at each other if I used the angle cup. I may go kicks in the floor and the tweets in the A's.

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2005
    Won't fit. I gaurantee it.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    I was afraid of that.

While slangin' beer today I was thinking how I could go about this. Ive read of a couple people that have said to hell with glassing a custom set of kicks and just welded in a steel plate properly angled and mounted their speakers to this. Then they simply use grill cloth to cover it and you dont see nuttin.

My cousin works with steel as a hobby and has plenty of tools so this may be a possibility. Plus I could custom fit them so that I could still use my e-brake.

Im getting excited about this. Ive always wanted to do a competition type install!

Something like this is what is would (hopefully) look like. Totally stealth! Behind the carpet is a Dynaudio tweet and mid.

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2005
    im not sure how a good a tweeter would sound behind carpet, even thin carpet...

also you might forget theyre there and someone could step on em or something...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Yeah, I have thought of that. MY wife like to wear disco shoes with the 6" platforms and I can just see one of those going thru one of my mids!

I probably wont be mounting the tweeters in the kicks. The cab of my truck is so big I think the imaging would be better off with the tweeters in the A-pillars. Probably in the lower portion of the A's.

• neomagus00
    edited July 2005
    as far as left-right imaging, the further away from your ears you can get the tweets, the better... of course, that can screw up your staging, and make it sound like the singer is entombed in the dash... i tried mine in both the kicks and the dash, and i found that i preferred the loss of imaging and the gain in stage height rather than the other way round... it's worth a shot...

• MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    That is true, but there are a LOT of SQ competitors that keep the tweets in the kicks.

I guess Ill have to try it in both spots. Im thinking that due to the vastness of my cab putting the tweeters in the kicks may give the best results cause putting them anywhere in the dash will localize the sound to that tweet just like it is doing now.

Funny thing, I was in my moms Sentra a while back and her speakers are low and in front on the doors, nearly to the kicks. I faded out the rears just for curisosity and man that thing had near perfect imaging. The image was dead center in fron of me AND at eye level! But the car is so small you can roll the passenger window down from the drivers seat without leaning over.

• spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited July 2005
    How bout somethin like this Mac? Check out that page and the one after it. That just the guys kick panel construction. Some other the other stuff he did is great too...
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com