sr6500's

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey all, i'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm thinking about getting 2 pairs of the 6.5" sr6500's w/ a 4 channel polk amp to run in my '05 Legacy GT Limited. From the limited material i was able to find on these speakers, the sr6500's seem amazing.

I'm really only concerned with sound quality, but i need to know if anyone owns these speakers or has even heard them. I'd probably go with the mmc5250 if they'd fit in my doors, but no luck :( Any information would be greatly appreciated. My backup option if i am unable to thoroughly research the sr6500's is the db6500's. What does everyone think of them?

I appreciate any input.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by 05LegacyGT
    Hey all
    Welcome to the board
    i'm new to the forum and this is my first post.
    actually you have to register to get the post counter
    I'm thinking about getting 2 pairs of the 6.5" sr6500's
    cool!!!
    w/ a 4 channel polk amp to run in my '05 Legacy GT Limited.
    sounds pretty sweet
    From the limited material i was able to find on these speakers, the sr6500's seem amazing.
    They seem like it don't they?
    I'm really only concerned with sound quality, but i need to know if anyone owns these speakers or has even heard them. I'd probably go with the mmc5250 if they'd fit in my doors, but no luck :( Any information would be greatly appreciated. My backup option if i am unable to thoroughly research the sr6500's is the db6500's. What does everyone think of them?
    if you get the SR 6.5"s how do you figure the 5250's won't fit? hmmm depth? db's are great speakers however buy the SR's I'm sure you will be fine.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    i'm not entirely sure the SR series is in production yet. they're intended to be polk's absolute best car offering ever, and as a proud owner of their mm6 i can say with confidence that that means a great deal. if you can stand it, i'd say wait for the SRs - it'll be well worth it.

and if they're out already and i've somehow missed the announcement - buy them, enjoy them, and after you've changed your pants come tell us how they sounded :)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited July 2005
    The SR6500's are in our warehouse, and soon to be released to dealers. Tweeter should have a bunch, and whatever independants that order them.
  • 05LegacyGT
    05LegacyGT Posts: 3
    edited July 2005
    if you get the SR 6.5"s how do you figure the 5250's won't fit? hmmm depth?

Yeah, i'm worried about the depth, I've looked into the db6500's and they will fit with a small spacer ring, but barely.
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by 05LegacyGT
    Yeah, i'm worried about the depth, I've looked into the db6500's and they will fit with a small spacer ring, but barely.
    Right on. yea you are better off with a 6.5" anyways.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • 05LegacyGT
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Thom
    The SR6500's are in our warehouse, and soon to be released to dealers. Tweeter should have a bunch, and whatever independants that order them.

When you say soon, do you mean within the next week or within the next few months? I have a window of about 2 more weeks to make my purchase and if I can't get the sr6500's i'll have to go with the db's. Thanks for the info
  • Thom
    edited July 2005
    I would think within the next couple weeks, depending on where you are. If you're near a Tweeter ask them, they may have some in their warehouse already. If you're near another dealer of ours, ask them to call and see if they can order them yet.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    When did these become available? Damnit, I thought I had got the top of the line Polk components with the MMC6500s.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2005
    Dude, they are 3 times the price of what you can get the MMC's for. The MMC's are nice speakers. I installed a set into amulford's truck for him and they served to greatly impress. I wouldn't worry about it unless you want to uninstall and reinstall everything.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Jstas
    Dude, they are 3 times the price of what you can get the MMC's for. The MMC's are nice speakers. I installed a set into amulford's truck for him and they served to greatly impress. I wouldn't worry about it unless you want to uninstall and reinstall everything.

Oh don't worry, just had never heard about them. The MMCs get better every hour and every day.
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    Yeah, amulford said he could hear audible differences as they broke in. They should be good and broken in by now so they should be sounding pretty sweet. The MMC coaxials I put in a friend's Jeep sound incredible after the finally broke in.

• ND13
    edited July 2005
    Yeah, amulford said he could hear audible differences as they broke in. They should be good and broken in by now so they should be sounding pretty sweet. The MMC coaxials I put in a friend's Jeep sound incredible after the finally broke in.

I figure about 60-80 hours of breakin with varying musical genres and varying volume levels should be about right. So far with about 2 hours a day in my truck, I'd say I'm about half way there.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2005
    If you ever get tired of the MMC component speakers, you can upgrade to the popular Ring Radiator Tweeter for about $107 a set from any Vifa distributor.
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by PolkThug
    If you ever get tired of the MMC component speakers, you can upgrade to the popular Ring Radiator Tweeter for about $107 a set from any Vifa distributor.

Is it a pop in replacement for the one that came with?
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    The SR6500's come with the ring radiator tweeters and a better mid-range than what is in the MMC component set. It's better at least from a specs point of view. I haven't heard them yet.

The Vifa tweeter is made with the same technology but I do not believe that it is a 1 inch tweeter but rather a 1.5 inch tweeter. The MMC's have a 1 inch tweeter. The SR6500's have a 1.5 inch tweeter.

All the specs are on the site here. Just gotta look under the Car Audio section.

• PolkThug
    edited July 2005
    The SR6500's have a 1.5 inch tweeter.
    All the specs are on the site here. Just gotta look under the Car Audio section.

You need to read more carefully, look again. :)

Edit: In one place it's an inch and a half, in another its 22mm (which is less than an inch)

"22mm Ring Radiator Tweeter "

or

"Tweeter 1 - 1-1/2" Diameter (3.81cm)"
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    http://www.polkaudio.com/car/specs.php?name=sr6500

Says right there:

Driver Complement
    Mid/Woofer 1 - 6-1/2" Diameter (16.51cm)
    Tweeter 1 - 1-1/2" Diameter (3.81cm)

That ONE, count'em, ONE 1.5 inch tweeter.

Here is teh MMC6500

http://www.polkaudio.com/car/specs.php?name=mmc6500

Driver Complement
    Mid/Woofer 1 - 6-1/2" Diameter (16.51cm)
    Woven Carbon Fiber
    Tweeter 1 - 1" Diameter (2.54cm)
    Silk/Polymer composite dome

That ONE, count 'em again, ONE 1 inch tweeter.

• Jstas
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by PolkThug
    You need to read more carefully, look again. :)

Edit: In one place it's an inch and a half, in another its 22mm (which is less than an inch)

"22mm Ring Radiator Tweeter "

or

"Tweeter 1 - 1-1/2" Diameter (3.81cm)"

22mm is the size of the driver surface not the actual size of the driver itself including mounting flanges and stuff.

• PolkThug
    edited July 2005
    22mm is the size of the driver surface not the actual size of the driver itself including mounting flanges and stuff.

You could stick a flange on it 6" in diameter, but its still a "22mm Ring Radiator Tweeter" no matter what size chunk of plastic its mounted on, IMO.
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    But you are missing the point. He asked "Is this a drop in replacement for the MMC" or something close to that and it isn't a drop in replacement. The size of the driver and it's mounting assembly is too large to fit a hole cut for the MMC tweeter.

• ND13
    edited July 2005
    Yeah, I just wanted to know if it would fit where the MMC tweeter is and if it would hook up to the MMC crossover with no issues.
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    I don't think the crossovers would work either. The MMC has a 2nd order crossover with a 2.6 kHz crossover point. The SRs have a crossover point at 3100 Hz but no more info on the crossover. Just the crossover point salone, I don't thin the SR tweeter would work well in the MMC set and x-over.

Sorry, the SR has a 2nd Order Low Pass Filter and a 3rd Order High Pass Filter. Decidedly different crossover.

• PolkThug
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by ND13
    Yeah, I just wanted to know if it would fit where the MMC tweeter is and if it would hook up to the MMC crossover with no issues.

It probably won't snap in to the pod that comes with the MMC. No clue on the crossover.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    the mmc xover is tuned specifically for the mmc speakers, and ditto for the sr xover... you MIGHT not blow anything up if you mixed them, but i wouldn't count on it sounding good... now, biamping, on the other hand, that'd be a good thing to do...

and i agree, not likely to be an easy drop-in replacement...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PolkThug
    edited July 2005
    Actually, I think if someone were to use the vifa for the MMC combo, the x-over would be just fine (assuming the polk tweet is 4ohm). The ring radiators are flat all the way down to 800hz. I can't imagine it sounding worse. I think in this case, the crossover point is set more on the limitations of the mid-driver.

Suppose I could buy one for the sake of "audio science" and try it out.
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    I don't know. There is alot more to it in a car. You don't have control over the enclosure design as much as you do for a home speaker and the MMC has a very different tweeter. Also, the ring radiator tweeter is very directional and having it cut off at 2600 rather than 3100 Hz might show some limitations of the setup and emphasize them. Especially since the midrange and tweeter would not be very well voice matched.

Also, the crossovers are very differe. The MMC is a second order 2-way while the SR is a 2nd order 2 way with a 3rd order high pass to make it a bandpass 2-way. That is a different beast and probably done so to reduce the directional tendencies of the ring radiator tweeter whihce would not be very desireable in a car where reflective surfaces are a hinderance more than a help.

Also, I think you should buy a set for teh sake of audio science and then sell them to me when you are done! I'll give you a fair "used" price for them! ;):p

• Thom
    edited July 2005

Also, the crossovers are very differe. The MMC is a second order 2-way while the SR is a 2nd order 2 way with a 3rd order high pass to make it a bandpass 2-way. That is a different beast and probably done so to reduce the directional tendencies of the ring radiator tweeter whihce would not be very desireable in a car where reflective surfaces are a hinderance more than a help.

The SR crossovers have a 2nd order low pass for the mid, and a third order high pass for the tweeter. Neither driver is bandpassed.

These ring radiators are not the same driver as the ones used in the Lsi home speakers. They work much better in a car. I put in some Lsi home tweeters in my Protege years ago and they are very directional and needed quite a bit of EQ (partly because of firing into the windshield). Plus they were so big they didn't leave many spots to put them. The new, smaller ring radiator works well off- axis (as good as the carbon series tweeter), at least in the kick panels of my Civic, and the doors of my boss's WRX, and the other few installs we've done so far. And they're much easier to mount.

The mounting of the SR tweeter and the MMC tweeters are very different. The MMC tweeter snaps into a cup, and the SR tweeter has a spider clip and trim ring. When mounted in coax mode they twist to lock into place.
  • Thom
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by ND13
    When did these become available? Damnit, I thought I had got the top of the line Polk components with the MMC6500s.

They are just becoming available, not quite in stores yet. We've talked about them a bit over the past few months, but you should hear more once they're shipping.
  • 05LegacyGT
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Thom
    They are just becoming available, not quite in stores yet. We've talked about them a bit over the past few months, but you should hear more once they're shipping.

Will they be available before the 1st of August??
  • PolkThug
    edited July 2005
    Will CC carry them? ...or only Tweeter...:rolleyes: