Mono Amps

13»

Comments

• Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited January 2005
    Hell, i was insulting both of ya, and from what his Ex tells me, cody ain't that 'great'... i believe her analogy was something along the lines of a baby carrot...

:p;)
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2005
    you can have the pyscho, Mel did say something that when you went to piss its like...i think she "like finding a needle in a hay stack"??
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by Joelsbass
    damn fords.... :p

It was funny, i pulled into a gas station to get a pop and parked my 99 Dodge Dakota Sport next to this older Ford Ranger (probably early to mid 90's) and the owner and his Girlfriend were coming out of the store at the same time, he's walking to her side to open her door (glad to see i'm not the only one who still does that) and she looks at me and says 'i like your truck' is it just me or is that kinda an insult to her boyfriend, a ford driver, for her to compliment my dodge?

Your gonna make fun of my ford, but then you go ahead and say "pop", its soda dammit. :D:p It may be a ford, but where you gonna find a truck in the same shape as mines in, with a cap and brand new tires, for $650. It's a 93 super cab, 4L V6, 5-speed. I'm more then happy....
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited January 2005
    All ya'll have trucks like somethin fierce to tha jaw.

I got me a car... maybe I should get a truck.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2005
    Kwade, I emailed you about the subs. Let me know ASAP and I'll get them to you.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • maltesechicken
    maltesechicken Posts: 32
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by g-man
    You guys are talking about Watts,Watts and more Watts..If you hook up a system that delivers...lets say....a total output of a 1000W ok..Then you have to remember one thing..1000W=83A..(!).Now you have another problem.Current..! Your dynamo have to work overtime to deliver enough current so that your 1000W system is fully opperational..A good tip is that you look at the fuses on the amp and add all amps together and then you can use this formula to check if you amp CAN deliver what it says..

P=Watts
    I=Ampeer
    U= Voltage

P=UxI
    I=P/U
    U=P/I

I.e...fuses are 40 A for one amp and 50 A for the other=90A

I=90
    U=12 (voltage of the car)
    P= ?

so..P=UxI....12x90=1080W

your system is capable of 1080W of total output power..
    IF your car can deliver the juice without melting down the batteries.

Cables are also a signifficant thing here..Allways use "big enough" cables.If they are too small in gauge,the power cable will not be able to deliver what the amps need..result: HOT power cables.! And allways use the same gauge for the + and -.
    A battery doesn't have 12V+ and 0V -...12V+ and 12V-..

hope this was usefull.

G-man

Your theory is right for power consumption, not power output. While 90 Amps of power at 12v is 1080W, that does not mean your amp will put that out. Assuming that, assumes your amp is 100% efficient. Most amps are only 50% efficient so with that type of current consumption you will likely only be getting 500 wrms out put to your speakers (that would be at the minimum impedance allowance; less power out put with higher impedance drivers).

I think you also mentioned in another post that halving the impedance load (from 4 to 2 ohms) will double the power. That all depends on the regulation of the amp. Other amps that put out 400 wrms @ 4 ohm, will only go up to 600 wrms when dropped to 2 ohm. Likewise, when an amp is 1 ohm stable, it does not mean you will get the more power at 1 ohm, it just means it won't become a BBQ. Some amps that are 1 ohm stable offer no power gain at 1 ohm, just increased wiring versatility.
  • maltesechicken
    edited January 2005
    Kwade:

Here's a test to see if you're learning:

You have s mono block rated @ 400wrms into 4 ohms; 800wrms into 2 ohms. You have two DVC subs, each coil is rated at 2 ohms.
    The two coils on each sub are wired in series, and then the two subs are wired in parallel:
    What is the impedance load the amp will see?
    How much power will each voice coil see?

Or am I just being mean right now? :D
  • swerve
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by maltesechicken
    Kwade:

Here's a test to see if you're learning:

You have s mono block rated @ 400wrms into 4 ohms; 800wrms into 2 ohms. You have two DVC subs, each coil is rated at 2 ohms.
    The two coils on each sub are wired in series, and then the two subs are wired in parallel:
    What is the impedance load the amp will see?
    How much power will each voice coil see?

Or am I just being mean right now? :D
    Your being an idiot. We don't play that quiz **** here... if your being funny please give up and give me your virginity

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • spwuinmk67
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by swerve
    Your being an idiot. We don't play that quiz **** here... if your being funny please give up and give me your virginity

-adam

Figures you would want his virginity...:)
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• swerve
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by spwuinmk67
    Figures you would want his virginity...:)
    Seriously though... who the hell needs a quiz... it's a flippin' forum for heaven's sake.....

F that crap.... and whoever agree's with it. people are on my last nerve tonight and this guy just made it even worse. how i love the internet!

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • maltesechicken
    edited January 2005
    You're Special.

I was toying with him, as my last comment "Or am I just being mean right now :D" implies.

Kwade said he wanted to learn. Leave it up to him to decide if he wants to figure that out.

As for your comment "give up and give me your virginity" childish, uncalled for. What exactlyl were you saying "we don't do around here?"
  • swerve
    edited January 2005
    Rule number four!!!
    IV!!

But I'm one of the reasons he understands now... So yea... it may be childish, but have you read anything else I have typed? :D:D

I mean we don't do that quiz stuff around here... in these parts... this neck uv da woodz homey o joe!!!
    i'm just straight joking around sorry for getting your undies in a twist ole fellow!

-adam

oh Yea
    You're Special.

;);););););)

Love always and forever

-The Billy Joe Bob Squad!
    cats.vans.bag...
  • maltesechicken
    edited January 2005
    Rule # IV?? But, he started it! ;)

I'm still looking for the rule about quizzes . . .

Man, my undies are in such a knot I think I'm losing circulation!

Have a good one :D

Oh, you still can't have my virginity
  • g-man
    g-man Posts: 46
    edited January 2005
    Your theory is right for power consumption, not power output. While 90 Amps of power at 12v is 1080W, that does not mean your amp will put that out. Assuming that, assumes your amp is 100% efficient. Most amps are only 50% efficient so with that type of current consumption you will likely only be getting 500 wrms out put to your speakers (that would be at the minimum impedance allowance; less power out put with higher impedance drivers).

I think you also mentioned in another post that halving the impedance load (from 4 to 2 ohms) will double the power. That all depends on the regulation of the amp. Other amps that put out 400 wrms @ 4 ohm, will only go up to 600 wrms when dropped to 2 ohm. Likewise, when an amp is 1 ohm stable, it does not mean you will get the more power at 1 ohm, it just means it won't become a BBQ. Some amps that are 1 ohm stable offer no power gain at 1 ohm, just increased wiring versatility.

Hmmm..how can I make you understand what I mean..about efficiancy you are right..but a nice little rule is to check out the fuses..If a producer says that our amp delivers 2000W of total power and the amp has a 20A fuse you know that this statement is crap..!but I was trying to help out kwadi..

And one more thing.. the amps I use are 2xAUDISON VRX1.500 for sub's.These amps are bridged together and delivers a nice output of 4000WRMS..(!!)at 2ohms and one AUDISON VRX4.300 for front and rear speakers.used to have POLK MOMO but I bought the FOCAL JMLAB UTOPIA 165w3 series for this season.
    if you want a high-end amp for your polks,go get the AUDISON VRX series.As a journalist once said:This is the Ferrari of amplifiers.Or you could take it all out and buy the Audison THESIS.

G-man

www.audison.com
    www.focal.tm.fr
    Stereo:
    Speakers:Polk SDA-1A
    cd/dvd:Marantz DV6200(HDCD)
    Amp: DUAL Audiophile Concept. (1992)

ICE:
    Alpine CDA9887R
    Audison LRX 1.1K
    Audison LRX 4.5
    Amega Q-Comp50
    Amega Q-Comp60
    Sub: Focal Utopia WX21 BE
    Sub:? maybe 3 MM840.
    Stinger HPI signal,power,speaker cables
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2005
    Hey Maltese, you notice how everybody gave you **** for the quiz but nobody answered it?! ;)

By the way, the correct answer is, {ahem} 2 ohm load / 200 watts per coil at 800 total. :D

Aint I smart? :p:p

(I sure hope thats the right answer or else Im gonna look real stupid) LOL :eek:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • swerve
    edited January 2005
    Don't answer that stupid crap. He was just trying to be funny. And since he didn't give me his V I let bubba know and he will come take care of it! :D:D

Oh by the way the answer is as follows:

The correct answer is, {ah choo} 2 ohm load / 200 watts per coil at 800 total.

-adam:D
    cats.vans.bag...
  • spwuinmk67
    edited January 2005
    Way to simply read what mac wrote and rewrite it adam!!! We knew you didn't know the answer.. :)
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• swerve
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by spwuinmk67
    Way to simply read what mac wrote and rewrite it adam!!! We knew you didn't know the answer.. :)
    I just replace ahem with ah choo and made copied n pasted it ya know.

You copy and paste by first selecting the text you want with your cursor so it is highlighted and either going to edit >> copy. Or you can simply hit CTRL+C after the text has been highlighted. Or you can right click after highlighting the text and select copy.

That's a great discovery by me for computer users!

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • maltesechicken
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Hey Maltese, you notice how everybody gave you **** for the quiz but nobody answered it?! ;)

By the way, the correct answer is, {ahem} 2 ohm load / 200 watts per coil at 800 total. :D

Aint I smart? :p:p

(I sure hope thats the right answer or else Im gonna look real stupid) LOL :eek:

Good job! You get a treat.

Everybody? It was just swerve. spwuinmk67 just commented on the virginity thing.

Swerve, I wasn't trying to be funny, I was posting to see if Kwade was up to giving it a try, essential to make use of the stuff that he learned (I think you are the one who is taking credit for teaching him, so wouldn't you want him to show off how much he learned from you?)

As for the no quizzes here, Thats fine. Its not an official rule and I hadn't heard anything of the sort, so you can cut me slack on that. Still, nobody explained to me WHY they don't do the quiz thing here. Quizzes, or problem solving is the way a person learns. If the information is just fed to them how will they learn? Let them work through something and they are more likely to understand the theory behind it.

(1) Nobody has yet given me a reason why I can't post a quiz other than "we don't do that here" :rolleyes:
    (2) kwade did not have to respond (and he still hasn't)
  • maltesechicken
    edited January 2005
    g-man
    I think we are on the same page. You are essentially saying "How can an amp produce more power than it can comsume?" I agree, Its really stupid what some companies put on their amps. I have seen an amp on ebay rated at 1200watts with a single 20 amp fuse. No math can get you to that number it is unreal what people do for marketing. You have given a good principle for kwade to go by to figure out when he is getting hosed or not.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2005
    You frickin people and your frickin watts....

#1 - Dodge is King of the Road. Yes it is an insult for a girl to compliment anything about you in front of her boyfriend... especially when you have a far superior truck... Truth be known, Dodge did market research and found that the 94 body style (the "new dodge" ) was most appealing to women, so they decided to build it ... its a p**** magnet. Women just wanna rub themselves all over it.

#2 - Watts is watts is watts... power is source is instantaneous, supply is a function of time, and draw is instantaneous.

What this means is that if you're producing 90A per second (maximum), then in the course of a minute you can put out 60 x 90 = 5400 amps. If you're battery(batteries) can store lets say 250 amp hours.... then you can DUMP OUT 500 amps in half an hour (at 12.5 volts) or 1000 amps in 15 minutes (at 12.5 volts) or 2000 amps in 7.5 minutes (at 12.5 volts).... etc etc... until you reach the electro-thermal limits of the material the battery is made of, your wire is made of, and your equipment is made of.

But understand... your system may draw 150 amps for 2 seconds, then 300 amps for 1 second, then 50 amps for 2 minutes, then 70 amps for 5 minutes, and 300 amps for 10 seconds... you get the idea...

You can draw and draw and draw from the well of your battery.... .so long as you're playing a music program that has enough rest in it (times where the BOOOOM is not slamming as much) that you're alternator can recharge your battery.

Also, realize this - you go to Pep Boys, you buy a 1,100 cold cranking amp battery... at 0 degrees, for 30 seconds, that damn battery will put out 1,100 AMPS at 12.5 volts (or there abouts).

Put two of those **** in your car, and you've got 2,000 amps of instant BOOM at your disposal for a few seconds at least...

If you'd like to disagree with me, get in line... I'm still correct.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • kwade89
    kwade89 Posts: 77
    edited January 2005
    Exalted512-

wow, yall really ran away with this thread, exalted, i really want to buy those sub but i am flat on empty with money i had to pay for my box and dash kit and everything for my install while at the end of the month payin for my truck payment... i never knew it would be this hard.. i have a full steady job now and i will buy subs and meet as soon as i have the money if you have not sold them yet how much did we agree to pay for them? i am very sorry
    also i am sorry for not replyin, you can try to sell those subs dont hold up for me i mean my mistake equals a loss...
    Kaleb Wade

-00' Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab 1500

-Polk/MOMO-
    MM6
    MMc650
    MM2124<2
    -Phoenix Gold-
    PG 100.4x
    PG 100.2x
    -Sony-
    Explod HU F7005x
    Explod 10Cd 757mx

• Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge

LOL, i think i just found a new sig
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2005
    LOL!

Yes, I for one am glad PBD is posting a little more regularly. He has quite the way with words.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • swerve
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    I think he sounds like a pissed off woman... but that's just me. :D:D:D
    funny none the less.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • kwade89
    kwade89 Posts: 77
    edited January 2005
    haha, best sentence ever
    Kaleb Wade

-00' Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab 1500

-Polk/MOMO-
    MM6