Ces 2005?

13»

Comments

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2005
    the components look interesting. I'm not a fan of Neodyniam (sp?) magnets though. I have yet to see anyone use it and make it successful for a midrange/midbass driver. Hell, look at the Kenwood Excelon's. They sound like donkey ****. I hope Polk has pulled it off! What kind of tweeter material is used? How adjustable is the x-over?
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    Im confident they will have a winner.

I flat out love all the Momo components out there and now that Ive got interested in their homer speakers and have had the chance to listen to those as well I think they will be well received.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2005
    Viper made a speaker with ND (my personal little quick speak for "Knee-o-dime") magnets... pieces of SHAT! Yes, shat.

The old excelon db series with the purple "woven" cones weren't bad actually - least I don't think so.

Thing is, they were intended to be biamped - and unlike polk's db series (which was also biamp-able) - they did not sound any good if you didn't biamp them (the kenwoods i mean, the polk's sounded great both ways - obviously better biamped but they were still 100% awesome when run standard).

At the current time, I thought Ultimate (yes Ultimate) was the only company (at least that you could pick up at most online stores or in local crap-shacks) that was using the ND magnets... and Ultimate is by far only a shade above Pyle and Legacy.

None the less, I do not doubt this one singular fact.

We have seen polk audio do a total 180 as of the last year or so.

With the discontinue of the GXR, GNX and such, the introduction of the new baby-momo's and the db-juniors, and the introduction of the first wave of amplifiers, we have seen polk return to its roots of "high class big pimpin audio", and I am really glad to see that.... really really really glad.

That being said, I do not believe that the company would come out with its first "flagship" speaker ever (although I would consider the casket basket db components flagship quality - even though they may not have been marketed in that league) and do a bad job of it. I imagine these components are going to make just about everybody wet their pants with utter audio bliss when they hear them.

I could be wrong, but I'm not. :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by Toxis
    the components look interesting. I'm not a fan of Neodyniam (sp?) magnets though. I have yet to see anyone use it and make it successful for a midrange/midbass driver.

Boston did a good job with the Neodymium in their NX and SL lines.

I'm lookin forward to the new Polk car audio gear.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2005
    I have the silver woven excelon 4x6s, theyre hp at around 120 hz and can play almost twice their rated power...thats insanely good considering 120Hz is potential death for a 4x6
    they have excellent highs as well. I like em better than the infinity plates but i have yet to hear the momo plates.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it