Ces 2005?

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited February 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
If Im not mistaken, didnt CES 2005 recently happen?

If so, do we get to see some pics from the Polk booth? Specifically the new speakers?

Pretty please?
With sugar on top?
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2005
    you are not mistaken, they should be back by now...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2005
    Good, cause Im dying to see the new speakers!! Ive already started a piggy bank just for them!

I hope they have a bi-ampable x-over. Id give anything if my MM6 x-over was. :(
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited January 2005
    you just bought new speakers and already saving for new ones? youre starting to sound like me...ive had my diamonds for about 2 months before they got replaced...lol
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2005
    LOL! Yeah, Im not the patient type.

I wanted to start competing as soon as possible and knew it was going to take a good while to save up the $500 or so the new speakers will likely cost. I was originally gonna get a set of DB6750 comps to tide me over but when the MM6 went down to $160 I had to jump on that!

Once I get the new comps, Ill upgrade the sub to probably the new series and then Ill start saving for my Xtants! :D

This will likely be my final setup (for a while):
    New high end Polk components
    New high end Polk 10" sub
    Xtant 4.4
    Xtant 6.1
    Pioneer P8
    Streetwires ZN3 cables

After that Ill quit for a while and actually spend some money on less important things like paying off bills, buying furniture, getting brakes. Stuff like that.

• exalted512
    edited January 2005
    lol, i hear ya about car audio being more important than a few things. ive put it in front of oil and brakes before. now its front of new tires. lol
    but i can honestly say that this will be the last time i buy speakers for a while. but only because i cant really upgrade anymore...lol
    the next truck, the first thing that will be bought is a set of SW 6.0s. then sound deadening. then alternator. then new amps. either trutech or usamps. then lift/tires.
    the retail of the audio i have will probably be over the value of the truck. but what i paid for it wont...
    -Cody
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited January 2005
    There wasn't a Polk booth, at least not for car stuff. I know the speaker cosmetic prototypes were sent out to Vegas... don't know where it was shown though. Don't know if there are any pictures out there of them either.

And yes, the x-over will be bi-ampable.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by exalted512
    you just bought new speakers and already saving for new ones? youre starting to sound like me...ive had my diamonds for about 2 months before they got replaced...lol
    -Cody
    So, uh, cody...looking to get rid of them diamonds? :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited January 2005
    what do you need them for? you just got new speakers too!!!
    and they wont fit in your new door pods...
    -Cody
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited January 2005
    You started a trend Cody, new speakers every few weeks...its the cool thing to do now.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by bknauss
    There wasn't a Polk booth, at least not for car stuff. I know the speaker cosmetic prototypes were sent out to Vegas... don't know where it was shown though. Don't know if there are any pictures out there of them either.

And yes, the x-over will be bi-ampable.

Well that sucks. I cant wait to see the new gear!

Glad to hear that about the x-overs. It appears bi-amping is catching on as more and more speakers are coming out with bi-ampable x-overs. But of course the MM6 wasnt one of em. :mad:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2005
    Here they are!!
    Signature Reference 6.5" Compaxial system
    DB Dual 12" Ported Box
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited January 2005
    I'm not too sure if I like that DB box, but the new comp's are real sharp lookin. So when do we get our free demo set? :D
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited January 2005
    ohhh... i like the looks of those comps... the magnet seems a little downgraded from the MM6's though... got any specs for us loyal polkites?
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2005
    So does this signature series have subs in the lineup?

Better yet, is this the uber-Polk speakers?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2005
    Man those look awesome!!! I think the basket assembly looks cool as hell! I cant freaking wait to hear them!

What are the mid and tweet cones made out of?

The x-over looks sharp as hell too and thanks a million for making it bi-ampable!

I really like the look of the new DB subs and that box looks sharp as hell! I think it looks better than the current Momo lineup! Cool option to have the different colors as well.

Excellent work guys! I cannot wait to be the first kid on my block to have a set!

Im assuming these will be available at Tweeter? I hope so cause theyve got a pretty solid soundroom and Im dying to hear these things!

Thanks for the sneak peak Josh. You da man! ;)

• Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited January 2005
    so josh, have you guys gotten to hear these yet? if so can you give a comparison to the MM6? what are the differences in sound?
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • bknauss
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by Joelsbass
    ohhh... i like the looks of those comps... the magnet seems a little downgraded from the MM6's though... got any specs for us loyal polkites?

The magnet is supposed to be smaller. Its made of something called neodymium (well, something spelled something like that).

No specs yet. They're not finalized just yet.
    Brian Knauss
  • bknauss
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by Jstas
    So does this signature series have subs in the lineup?

Better yet, is this the uber-Polk speakers?

No subs this year. The idea is being played around with.

These will be the top of the line Polk car speakers.
    Brian Knauss
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2005
    They are well above the price range of the MM6. Apples to oranges. They havn'et even been on the same board together. We've done A/B comparison with the likes of MB Quart, Boston, and Focal. When they hit stores later this year, I invite everyone to take a listen.

The DB sub box will have a paintable baffle. They will all come in the gray you see in the larger pic. We were just pointing out the fact that they could be painted to match your OEM color. That isn't the grill that will be on it either. It is getting it's own grill.
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by Josh
    They are well above the price range of the MM6. Apples to oranges. They havn'et even been on the same board together. We've done A/B comparison with the likes of MB Quart, Boston, and Focal.

HELL YEAH!!!! Now we're talkin!

Now I just gotta figure out how to get $500-600. How much plasma is that? :(

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by bknauss
    No subs this year. The idea is being played around with.

These will be the top of the line Polk car speakers.

Are there ever going to be subs? Makes no sense to me to offer top of the line speakers but no subs along the same line that are voice matched to the speakers. I'd like to see some "signature series" subs come out.

As far as neodymium goes:
    A bright, silvery rare-earth metal element, found in monazite and bastnaesite and used for coloring glass and for doping some glass lasers. Atomic number 60; atomic weight 144.24; melting point 1,024°C; boiling point 3,027°C; specific gravity 6.80 or 7.004 (depending on allotropic form); valence 3.

It is more dense than a regular ferrous magnet which has an atomic number of about 26 in most cases. The rare-earth neodymium magnet will perform better than the ferrous magnet and take up less space and less weight. Neodymium magnets are also much stronger than regular ferrous magnets so the offere better electrical properties for accurate but strong cone movement. They also respond quicker to current changes in the voice coil because of thier strength.

For the most part, they work splendidly well but some people don't like them because they feel that the reduced sensitivity of the speaker due to the beefy motor control assemblies requires too much power and they lack the warmth of a more sensitive speaker. Then again, if you are buying a speaker with neodymium magnets then it is obvious that they are going to cost a bundle. Therefore, you should be able to afford the power needed to drive them effectivly too.

Honestly though, there are a good deal of dome tweeters on the market that use neodymium magents because they are small and powerful so they fit in a small 1/2" to 1" sized tweeter package.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • exalted512
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    HELL YEAH!!!! Now we're talkin!

Now I just gotta figure out how to get $500-600. How much plasma is that? :(
    i get about $150 a month. i might be getting a job at the local audio shop. they sell JL...this is going to be weird...
    i can get a 10w7 for $165 though:D
    i have to wait 6 months, but after that. its going on ebay. lol
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2005
    If you can get a 10W7 for $165, youre gonna be my new best friend! :D

• exalted512
    edited January 2005
    i went and talked to them and they said that they had just hired someone during the christmas holidays but when theres another opening theyll let me know:(
    i have to find some way to pay off my $300 tickets...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2005
    Get a job maybe?

Slacker! ;)

• exalted512
    edited January 2005
    im trying!!
    theyre hiring at the chicken expres...thats the LAST place im going to go though...lol
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2005
    I looked into getting on at Tweeter but they send you off to Maryland or somewhere like that for 3 weeks for corporate "re-eductaion". That sucks! :(

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2005
    Why?....What's wrong with Maryland?
  • exalted512
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by Josh
    Why?....What's wrong with Maryland?
    its not texas...
    -Cody