I just found the most incredible 2ch setup I have ever seen... wow!

Options

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2004
    Options
    got one on my desk, I can get as many as you need for 20.00 each :p
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by hoosier21
    got one on my desk, I can get as many as you need for 20.00 each :p

Yea, but does yours work with tube electrons??
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited November 2004
    Options
    You know, after staring at that stereo and room, I realized that while I would enjoy having that or at least having the expendable income to have that, I find something amiss about the essence of that stereo/room. I think it is why people bash him too.

It's kind of an elitist attitude but compared to what most people search for and scrimp and save to buy used for pennies on the dollar with thier nickles and dimes, that guy probably just plunked down a wad of change. The problem with that is in plunking down the change, he got what someone else thought was the best for him and it's not his idea of what the best is. While it is undeniable that he has some solid equipment, the setup smacks of a sellout.

I cannot be sure enough of a statement like that but when the guy thanks the installer for doing pretty much everything from design and inception to construction, it makes you wonder how involved in the process he actually was.

So what does all this mean? In summary, he's a "dinger". He seems to be in it for the bragging rights, the glory or the bells and whistles and all that comes with it if you will. So what stinks about that? It screams of a guy trying too hard to be accepted.

Now all of this may or may not be true but we can't be sure. However, given the evidence that presents itself to my nekkid eye, I'm leaning towards the truth part. Because of that, I can appreciate the gear but it lacks the essence, the heart and soul of many other systems. He seems to be proud for the sake of being proud while a guy like F1nut is proud of what took him years of effort and research to achieve. He's proud of an accomplishment, not a result of one less check in the checkbook.

So yeah, we should be happy for the guy, his gear and his position in life. We should be able to appreciate his gear and I'm sure we all can do this to an extent. But what most people are incapable of tolerating or even appreciating is a braggert and the personality associated with that kind of a person who constaly yeans for acceptance through his possessions and not himself, his knowledge, experiences and overall substance of character.

So yeah, he's got a nice setup but I really don't like it 'cause it smacks of posturing.

Then again, I could be wrong.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I can't get over the guy only has one chair. :confused: Did he hide another one to take the pictures?

As much as a like listening to my system alone, it's much more fun when I share it with others.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Beautiful!!!!:cool:
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Jstas,

You may be right, then again you may be wrong. Interesting thoughts you posted though, I will hold my conclusion until I actually (if ever at all) see, talk, and chill with the guy.

It seems very hard for me to judge someone based on his gear, not knowing how he got there, whether he has been an audio afficionado since 10 years of age and just somehow made a fortune to be able to work with a team he hired to help him build a true 2 channel system/room. We may never know.

However, assumptions (especially those based on incomplete knowledge) is quite often erroneous.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I'm glad that there are individuals who are able to afford cutting edge gear. Often, the innovations produced by cutting edge high-end manufacturers trickle down to lower high-end and mid-fi gear.

As in any area of exotic goods, there are always those who buy them because of the "snob appeal". Then, there are those who indulge in high quality, cutting edge merchandise (be it homes, automobiles, clothes, etc.) because they want and can afford the very best.

I will say that, even if I had the cash for a megabuck system, it would be difficult to justify the expense at the retail level. Retail prices in high-end audio are typically four to ten times the cost of goods. In addition to higher quality and performance, the high-end retail consumer is also paying for the small economies of scale incurred by limited production items. If I were going to drop that kind of cash on an audio system, I would design and build it myself or contract the work out to a custom fabricator.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Guys, I wasn't bashing the owner or the system. I don't really care for it for other reasons. I was just trying to offer another point of view that might fuel dislike or disgust that most people can't really understand for some reason.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • madmax
    edited November 2004
    Options
    There are two sides to the possibilities we should remember. You walk into a guys house and all he has is an old 70's receiver with two ugly home made speakers and a POS looking CD player. Does this guy not care or is he a true audiophile who just happens to be poor?? Same goes for the posted link. Rich or poor we are all in it for similar reasons.

Look at it this way, if he is really a snob with little audio sense then what would be the point? His friends (who are probably of the same interests) would likely tell him he should have bought Bose.
    madmax

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax
    There are two sides to the possibilities we should remember. You walk into a guys house and all he has is an old 70's receiver with two ugly home made speakers and a POS looking CD player. Does this guy not care or is he a true audiophile who just happens to be poor?? Same goes for the posted link. Rich or poor we are all in it for similar reasons.

Look at it this way, if he is really a snob with little audio sense then what would be the point? His friends (who are probably of the same interests) would likely tell him he should have bought Bose.
    madmax

How true we all here seem to have some $ to spend on audio, but how many in this world are lucky to have $ to spend on food.

How sad. I work hard for my $ but some don't have the skills to support their families.

Thank GOD for the skills I have....

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Joey_V
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Amen brother!

Looking around at the stuff I have, its saddens me to realize that I sometimes am too materialistic. I should cut down a bit.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Joey_V
    Amen brother!

Looking around at the stuff I have, its saddens me to realize that I sometimes am too materialistic. I should cut down a bit.

Same here; I'm afraid I'm quite materialistic.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • madmax
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Too materialistic? Maybe. You could feed lots of people with the crap we almost give away on the flea market. Sometimes when I look at my rack of tube equipment, records, CD player and Dac, etc I often think back to when I had very little. I could have lived well back then for quite some time on the cash I've spent on tweeter upgrades. I don't feel bad about it because I've been on both sides of the fence. If you have the ability to have things you should. They make life a little more fun. Just be thankful and help others get to the same position. :)
    madmax

• Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Nice looking gear, sure to impress the masses. But, without a strobe light, what's it really worth? Answer: Not much my friend.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • dmalino
    dmalino Posts: 36
    edited December 2004
    Options
    New here, I'll introduce myself in another post.
    I guess some people know how to overdo it.
    To me I think Klipschorns and a 20watt Pioneer receiver from the 70s would probably sound just as good.
    For $250K you could see a concert a day for ~13 years (that's at $50 a ticket, if you count free or really cheap shows it's even higher).
    For $250K I could get some decent musicians to play for me in my own house.
    I could also buy a Steinway, a Martin D-28, a good fake Stradivarius and a Gibson SG/Marshall combo and play them all poorly. :).

I would've gotten rid of the chair altogether. That way there's more room to DANCE! :D
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2004
    Options
    If I had 250k, I would have a hard time spending it on just an audio system. I mean, dont get me wrong, it would be totally cool and ridiculously awesome.... but, thats a lot of change. I'm sure the sound will totally blow anything I have heard out of the water.

It would be cool to have a shootout though. I say my SVS PC+ and my LSi9 versus the Kharma Reference 1D.... bring it!

LOL...

It wouldnt be a contest, poor me... :(.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I just feel bad for the people that had to position those 565 pound beasts. O no little more to the left.... aww too far, back to the right... mmm no I liked them over there better. hehehe

btw reading that was interesting but I think when it gets to that stage it becomes a little excessive.... but if ya have the money hey why not
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Man, if I had $250k,.........I'd have a lot more cars!!!

lemme see, what could I get for that......?

1st generation Camaro
    2nd generation Camaro
    4th generation 'Vette
    6th generation 'Vette
    a Porsche of some sort
    would I have enough left over for a Ferrari?...if not, I'd spend the loose change on a Buick Grand National, a Subaru WRX STI

guessin' some figures, I wouldn't have enough money left over for the Porsche or Ferrari.....all well.......I'd just go with all the others.........wonder how I'd pay for all the gas for all that......or the audio systems......:D :D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Zero
    DMalino,
    Welcome to the boards. I like the way you think. :) Stick around awhile..
    LOL... I'll second that motion...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Yup, I agree with dmalino. If we wer blindfolded and told to listen, I wonder how many would think that his system was better than some of the stronger sytems here. I have no doubt that people could tell the difference, just wondering if the $$$ makes it better where it counts

I also wonder if anyone could ever tell the difference between some decent quality parts and the stuff he's spendin so much on in a blind test... Doubt I could...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • DarqueKnight
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by jdhdiggs
    I have no doubt that people could tell the difference, just wondering if the $$$ makes it better where it counts. I also wonder if anyone could ever tell the difference between some decent quality parts and the stuff he's spendin so much on in a blind test... Doubt I could...

Agreed. For $250K, I don't want a mere difference. I want a definite IMPROVEMENT!
  • dmalino
    dmalino Posts: 36
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by jdhdiggs
    Yup, I agree with dmalino. If we wer blindfolded and told to listen, I wonder how many would think that his system was better than some of the stronger sytems here. I have no doubt that people could tell the difference, just wondering if the $$$ makes it better where it counts

I also wonder if anyone could ever tell the difference between some decent quality parts and the stuff he's spendin so much on in a blind test... Doubt I could...

There was a test done in 1987 in Stereo Review magazine where they did a double blind ABX test with about 12 amps ranging from $200 to $12000. Listeners were played A, than B, and than either A or B as X and was told to pick which one they thought X was. There was a correct choice in about 51% of the choices, which would be what you would get by purely guessing. But yet when auditioning the equipment beforehand (non-blind) the high-end was lavished praised and the mass market components were shunned.

The shape of that room's ceiling probably effects the sound more than anything else.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2004
    Options
    FOUR WORDS:

LAW OF DIMINISHING RETURNS
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Exactly what I was thinking.... how much better can it be?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Whether it's 250k, 25k or 2.5k the system must have synergy, without that it's just noise. Can system costing 2.5k with perfect synergy come anywhere close to a 250k system with perfect synergy, IMO no effing way.

Take your average 25k American car, it has four tires, a engine and at least 2 doors. Now, take a 250k exotic sports car, it has four tires, a engine and only 2 doors. Same basic format, but there's no doubt the sports car will out perform the other. Why doubt that a 250k audio system wouldn't kick the **** out of a 2.5k system?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2004
    Options
    "Those that don't know.....don't know!"

Until you've driven a Ferarri, Porsche, Mclaren, etc....you can speculate that your Kia Rio is just as good.....

Until you've heard a well thought out, well executed, balanced $250,000 audio system you can speculate your $2,500 audio system is just as good....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2004
    Options
    hey, that's a thought......makes sense, too
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2004
    Options
    250k setup SHOULD be better than a 2.5k setup, no question about it.

I guess what I was trying to ask earlier was, is it worth the extra 247,500$?

Also, how much are the parts of a 250k speaker worth if totalled individually? I doubt its worth even 5% of the speaker's retail price.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Also, how much are the parts of a 250k speaker worth if totalled individually? I doubt its worth even 5% of the speaker's retail price.
    Totally irrelevant. It's the finished product...not the parts.

$10 worth of paint and canvas in my hands is worthless!

$10 worth of paint and canvas in Rembrandt's hands is priceless!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Automobile performance is tangible and can be proven, audio however is a completely different animal, so I fail to see the direct analogy, but whatever.

Cost is only relative to the individual involved.

The reason he only has one chair, is at that point the only people that really give a **** about your system, is about one person anyways. I just don't see genuine appreciation in music and gear when you're that blatantly excessive.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.