What is too loud?

Options
-justin-
-justin- Posts: 891
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
What is a good SPL level for your HT system (subwoofer) I just want to know, how loud is too loud when it comes to your home theater?
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited February 2002
    Options
    im going to go with 120db, since calibrating my system i found that i listen to movies between 100-115 db, besides you start the ear damage around 120 and up...

what, i cant hear you :p
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    Options
    if the blood running out of my ears is affecting the sound waves penetrating my ears, i'll turn it down a notch...:D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Surely you are kidding, what size is your room and what speakers do you have?

At that volume in most ANY room, it would be so freakin loud, you wouldnt have a sense of any seperation or movement, just in your face volume.

Even 95db PEAKS are loud to most...are you sure your meter is calibrated right?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • axeman
    axeman Posts: 170
    edited February 2002
    Options
    If its too loud you're too old!!
    Joe:D :D
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Movies 90-100. If its a good soundtrack and movie louder. Music, concert level is perfection IMO. When ya start saying turn it down your getting OLD. "I like it loud" no boom boom bass thou. I think my phone is ringing but no one is there.:)
    Chris :)
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I've watched some movies at or near 110, it wasn't too loud, so I'd say 120.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • phd500
    phd500 Posts: 75
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Man I like it loud but not no 120Db's, thats crazy. The treble would be to much to handle. I have 4 fifteen inch JBL's with a JBL N center, Polk PSW 1200, and a Sony reciever driving it all. I have the volume up to about 2 1/2 or 3 if moms not home, and that is really prity loud, about 100-108Db's. I don't think that I have ever listened to a movie on 5 which is full blast. My ears would be ringing so loud I wouldn't be able to hear anything. My system maxis out at or a little above 120Db's.
    And the volume that damages your hearing starts at about 90Dbs. Which is about how loud a lawnmower or subway is. To give an example on how loud some of those car systems are, 180Db's is how loud a rocket launch is! Theres cars hiting 176's!! Wish my sytem was that loud. Only bad thing is your organs would burst and you would die. Boy I sure feel sorry for the guy who axidentlly pushes the play button on a system like that:)
  • raycomics
    raycomics Posts: 78
    edited February 2002
    Options
    When your neighbors from across the street knocks on your door telling you that they can hear the explosions from your favorite action movie, it is then when you realize that the SPL is a "Tad" loud
  • ntculenuff
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Surely you are kidding, what size is your room and what speakers do you have?

At that volume in most ANY room, it would be so freakin loud, you wouldnt have a sense of any seperation or movement, just in your face volume.

Even 95db PEAKS are loud to most...are you sure your meter is calibrated right?

Cheers,
    Russ
    i was using a digital db reader and set it up in the sweet spot, watched pearl harbor..it bounced around from 95 to 118 db but on average around 105..
    my room is roughly 16x16 (i have never measured it, i will tommorow) running rt10's for mains, cs350ls for center, rt f/x for rears, definitive 10"psw for mains, and a definitive 12"psw for lfe..
    running an onkyo 777 receiver (105 watts a chnl, that stay flat no treble or bass boosts) i get plenty of seperation my mains are about 14 ft apart
    i only watch movies this loud by myself..every one else sez i watch them too loud, but if they sound good why turn it down :D
    Speakers:
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Every now and then I need my ears for something besides listening to movies and music. I like 75-80 dB for dialog. I don't like the volume to be much higher than if the actual people were in the room talking. Explosions, car crashes, other loud events, etc., peg at 95-100 dB. I use a Radio Shack analog sound level meter. My HT room is 18.5 x 20. I have very good hearing. I plan on keeping it that way for a very long time.:p
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I use a SPL meter and set all speakers to 80db. while watching movies... some of the explosions reach 100db... but most of the movie averages around 80db. I could never listen to anything at a constant 90db and above. Take it from someone who listened to to much hard rock in high school and attended to many rock concerts.. . once your hearing is damaged you will never regain it. keep it at safe levels guys... hearing loss sucks.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • ntculenuff
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    hearing loss sucks.
    yes it does..probaly why i listen to mine so loud
    i have db loss in both ears from car stereo and from forgeting my ear plugs for concerts
    Speakers:
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • joelll
    joelll Posts: 120
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I generally don't like to overdo it with the sound levels. I wear earplugs when motorcycling or at loud concerts, because I want to keep the ability to hear the nuances of music in Boston Symphony Hall as well as at local rock shows.

I have very minor tinnitus in one ear to remind me to be good about this; it just suddenly appeared in my ear one day around April 2000. The good news is that when I had my hearing tested as part of diagnosing the tinnitus, I only have minor low-frequency hearing loss in one ear, consistent with aging.

At home, sound reproduction has to be quiet, because I live on the top floor of a three-story wooden apartment house which transmits sound quite handily to the landlord living two floors down and his son's family living one floor down.

So actually, at or (more often) below 80dB is where I probably listen to most music and movies. I don't have an SPL meter. (BTW, the Radio Shack ones have a reputation for inaccuracy with sound engineers.)
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Last night the wife and daughter were out so it gave me some 2-channel time.

Gave one of my favorite CDs a spin: Cirque Du Soleil: Alegria

Brought out the SPL meter and on average I was at 95db with peeks at 104+. It was exellent. Wanted to go more, but didn't want to strain the Marantz. I need more power.

If...
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by Ron-P
    Wanted to go more, but didn't want to strain the Marantz. I need more power.

m-o-n-o-b-l-o-c-k-s, must buy monoblocks...:D
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Yeah, I know. Just need the cash. I'm thinking about ditching the 5-channel deal and landing 2 monoblock for 2-channel to start, then, down the road add one for my CS400.

Funding, I need funding.

If...
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    Options
    good deal! that is the definite advantage of the monoblocks, you can upgrade channel by channel as you can afford them, well maybe two at a time for most applications...
  • CHRIS
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Maybe I'm lucky. I grew up n central NJ with JFK(when it was still there), the Spectrum, Meadowlands, MSG, and various other places. I did not miss many concerts, I can count the nots eaier then the dids. Why were ear plugs I don't understand its a concert, buy the album.:) ment in a ‘nice’ way. Yeah my ears would ring for a few days but at almost 37 my hearing is still very good. I like it loud and play it loud, not in a car though I need to hear the road more back round then. Music more then the movies, movies seem to have their limit where its to much. Music you can just keep turning it up, no distortation though. Could be why some don't play movies or music as loud their receivers start distorting, maybe and again ment in a ‘nice’ way not puttng anyone or system down. Every system has its limits, like Ron said he didn't want to push his receiver.:) I would not push more then 115, 120 peaks.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2002
    Options
    i bet no one knows that at 85db and up is where hearing loss begins but at around 85-100 it takes a while for it to start. the cheap home theater i replaced with my polk's was bult around spl and not qulaty i could spike my meter at 126 but i hade 6 12's but that was in my cant get enough bass days
  • dbartol
    dbartol Posts: 66
    edited February 2002
    Options
    He's right on. Damage to your ears can occur well below 120 dBs.
  • CHRIS
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Ya only live once. I was never into the booom boom car audio or heavey bass, I like to hear what is going on around me when I drive. I can still hear the freckin cats walking on the carpet when they come in the room at night, so I think my ears are in good shape.
    I LIKE IT LOUD
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited February 2002
    Options
    My Wife, thats who:mad:
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2002
    Options
    One time I went to a Boston concert and was disappointed that I listen to Boston at louder levels than the concert venue. Pfff.
    Oh well, it sounds better in my living room.
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I went and saw Rod Stewart last week and i would say he was putting out around 80db did that concert suck.Boston, ahh what a great band were they:) Fabian
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited February 2002
    Options
    WHAT???? I can't hear a thing any of you are posting!!!
    No excuses!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2002
    Options
    After that 'pose' you did by your system, I can't stop grinnin' every time you post...

It's etched in my brain man, make it stop!!!

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I'm not here for a long time, just a good time. I love to feel all the music, not just the bass.

If...
  • mhetman
    mhetman Posts: 25
    edited February 2002
    Options
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I could always post a pic of me cuddling in bed with my FX500's.

John
    No excuses!
  • ntculenuff
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by john d. strong
    I could always post a pic of me cuddling in bed with my FX500's.

John
    :eek: i wont even let my mind go there
    Speakers:
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    Video: