Damn Thieves

Gary Robertson
Gary Robertson Posts: 201
edited August 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Damn Thieves broke inti my car in a wal mart parking lotwhen i wa shopping and ripped my beautiful Kenwood unit right out of my dash--****..i really loved that Kenwood too...I had it hooked up with Polks all the way round .tey didn't get the speakers or sub or the amp but they did rip the **** out of my phoenix gold wireing--****..!! i couldn't believe it man,,sometime between 12 noon and 12:22...damn they are fast,, security was also patrolling the parking lot in a damn car..gheesh !!! they politely left the wire nuts laying ( in order) on the right floor mat--yes the doors were locked but it's kinda my faule cause i left the face plate on( cause i was gonna be quick)
IMMEDIATE LESSON---takethe damn face plate with you no matter how quick you're gonna be and no matter how inconvienent it may be..................
Any way to make myself feel better after very stupidley donatng my Kenwood to some crack heads ( i presume )..........
i went out here to California Soundworks
( our local high end, home and mobile audio store..) (this store is floating in Bowers & Wilkins and Klipsh and NHT,Etc ) anyway i strolled into the mobile audio room and began to try and choose between a Clarion or an Eclipse or a Blaupunkt or an Alping CD playrt receiver for the car--after a long and very hard process all were so damn nice--i chose the Alpine-CDM-9823.......
When i got home and finished installation-including a new dash kit ( asshoes ) i was extremely impressed with the Alpine--absolutely clean--it has the BBE process built in---and i also ran across something that totally too meby suprise---" i did not know that Adcom made car audio amplifiers so i guess that meand ill have to replace my Phoenix Gold with a new Adcom on my very next payday..i love my Phoenix but the Adcom (older that i heard) way nicer by far..i had no idea about Adcom car audio...Boy, some Adcom freak i am ,Huh ??? ....................................
Okay i'm done now--i just needed to vent a little................................
This time i have an alarm and little tiny #2 fish hooks glued all over the back sides and top of the unit i can see them now running across the parking lot with an Alpine car stereo deepley imbedded into thier hands and fore arms having to unintentionally advertise what they have just done to everyone who sees them in the parking lot.................
System #2
Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
System #1:
Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
Post edited by Gary Robertson on

Comments

• LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited August 2004
    Hmm fishhooks... now THAT is what I'll use on my next sub-box... although the tiny rear vent window seemed to stop the theives from taking my 3 foot long dual 12" sub box out last time.. they even unlocked the driver's door so they could get in and push harder :rolleyes: ... Besides... I had it securely fastened to my car via the speaker wire attatched to the amp they didn't want.... (edit: amp was attached by 1... yes ONE screw)

Really sorry about the loss of a good old kenwood, may it burn up in lethatly toxic smoke on the next person to use it, then forever RIP...
    Last time I left the faceplate on one of mine it got stolen too... this was at a brake shop, and my car's keys were in the floorboard... (thanks brake service guys!), so after that even when i worked at Pizza hut... If I couldn't see my car and would be more than 5 min... I'd take it out all the time.. thats like around 25-40 times a day that it got removed.. not too good for it, but I still have it ;) (no, the theives did NOT find the actual h/u remover tools carefully hidden in the glove box!!!)

As for the Adcom amp, I havent ever seen one, but they're out there, I hope you get one... There's nothing like topping off a system with that odd-ball peice that sets you apart from the rest of the mobile sound junkies :p
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited August 2004
    The same kinda thing happened to a friend of mine.... So he did a similar thing to you fishhook idea except a little different. Razorblades !! The best part about this story is that his deck got stolen again yet again although that time there was a lot more blood invloved. Lost cd player......$-200 ..... Knowing you got some sweet revenge on the person stealing from you.......priceless.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2004
    in texas at least, you can actually get sued by thieves for putting something like razorblades or anything 'with the intent to cause harm'
    sucks huh?
    id cry if anyone stole my deck...id be in a hole for a long long time without it...it was $550...
    all i can really do is set the alarm and take the faceplate off
    once inside it takes about 10 seconds to get it out...literally
    someday im going to take it out and find a way to screw it in or something
    im sorry to hear about the bad news...but its always fun to buy new stuff!
    on a side note...if you get an eclipse head unit and it gets stolen within 1 year you get a new one free from eclipse
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Anyone heard or pain generators?

Back in the early 90's I knew a guy that had them hooked into his alarm. When the alarm is triggered they blast out a high frequency whine at loud levels inside the car. You cant stand to be in the car more than a couple seconds.

If the windows are rolled up you cant hear it outside the car at all if a false alarm is triggered so you wouldnt have to worry about making some little old lady's ears bleed. But if someone was in your car trying to rip **** off, they wouldnt be able to stand it longer than a few seconds.

Now Ive never seen an actual "kit" for these from Code or Viper or anything and it may be something the guy just rigged up in his garage, I dont know but it seems like a good idea.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    yea...some people call them screechers...im sure if you google it you can find more info about em
    theyre little mini horns that play at high frequencies well above the 'threshold of pain' (actual term...meaning a pitch so loud that your ears to your brain it hurts) and will stop thieves in their tracks
    im putting some in my new truck...like...4 of em behind the panels
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    maybe i can figure out a way to hook up my subs to play a 40Hz test tone as well...
    2 brahmas playing into the high 150Db range would scare the **** out of me...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    LOL!!

Hell yeah! A kilowatt of 40 Hz coming at me would either run me off or stop my heart!

Im gonna look in to those screechers. I NEVER take my faceplate off and although everything else is hidden I still dont want any breakins. Although I should get an alarm first.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    i always take my faceplate off...but i do leave it in the truck...i wish i had a glove box that locked...instead i have to hide it...but if im staying the night at somewhere other than my house i usually take it with me...i live in a town of 200 so im not that worried about it here...but in College Station im taking it with me to my room everytime i get out...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Chatty is a pretty big city but Ive never had any problems with breakins. Ive been lucky so far. My apt complex appears to be pretty safe too. To my knowledge we havent had any breakins or vandalism.

I still need to get an alarm tho. I just hate paying for installation when I can do it myself.

I drove all over town trying to find somebody to sell me an alarm without installation and when I finally did it wouldnt come with a warranty. So when I hooked it up and the ignition kill relay wouldnt work I tried to exchange it for a new relay and was told "tough tittys!"

• LittleCar_w/12s
    edited August 2004
    I have almost always kept my f.p. under the seat... noone tends to look , or break in to look, if they don't see it on the unit.
    Cody... TX really has that law? that sucks.
    My friend Jim had a funny story about his tools getting stolen... one got stolen.. he leaves his car unlocked.. etc.. and he knew who did it, but couldn't prove it. SO he put some cheap tools in a toolbox and kept it in his car.. one day he was painfully obvious about leaving it unsecure... but about 30 min after he came home, he went and switched the toolbox out with an identical one containing two bricks, a few tools so it'd rattle, and two very angry copperhead snakes. He told the police to look in local e.r's for the guy, and of course they found him rather easily.
    Too bad we can't put snakes in a sub-box...
    Also, Cody, if you want one, I could look into making you a device to pulse your subs at a given freq, and it'd be driven off of your alarm, but I'd need to know what type of outputs, etc your alarm has, if you want tohe subs to only do this for a little while to save battery, etc.. and of course, parts prices.. but it's possible.
    Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    LOLOL!!

Thats freaking ingenius!

But how the hell do you get to pissed off Copperheads in a small box?

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited August 2004
    You don't.... you put two happy copperheads in the box, then piss them off.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited August 2004
    Correct me if I am wrong. Texas Justice allows you to shoot the culprit.
    Chris
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by nadams
    You don't.... you put two happy copperheads in the box, then piss them off.

LOL! :D

Are Copperheads ever happy? LOL

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2004
    Back in the day, I had a pain generating Teddy Bear (not kidding). He sat in the back seat and was cable locked to a seatbelt bracket. He made it very unBEARable (sorry couldn't help it) to be in the car unwelcomed. That's the kind of crap we had to have in our cars growing up in Topeka, Ks, which has the highest crime per capita (<200,00).

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • michael_w
    edited August 2004
    I'm not so sure that blasting your subs will deter thieives.... It might just make them think wow those are some pretty crazy speakers and want them more.

I love the idea of the teddy bear.... much more fun than razorblades or fish hooks. I wonder if ebay has one for sale. I'll have to take a look.
  • michael_w
    edited August 2004
    muahahaha

I can just picture the face on a thief when they break into your car and hear this .
  • exalted512
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by CPHILHOWER
    Correct me if I am wrong. Texas Justice allows you to shoot the culprit.
    Chris
    not anymore...you can get sued if you shoot them when theyre running away...if theyre in your house you probably can though
    i keep a shotgun in my room...its disassembled in the box though...i can put it together and fire off 2 rounds in about 20 seconds though
    in texas, if youre caught stealing cattle, you can be hung on sight
    www.dumblaws.com
    and jerry...i think both my batteries would be dead if i did that and my alarm went off...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    To the best of my knowledge, you cant shoot somebody just for being in your house. However if they are trying to kick your door in you can shoot them either thru it or as soon as they get it open. The key being they are violently trying to gain entrance to your house which is a pretty good indicator theyre not Jehovas' Wintesses.

Maybe you could rig the bass blasts to activate only if the doors are open while the alarm is going off. This way it wouldnt go off every time a loud car passed by. Although it still wouldnt do much for the life of your batt'ry.

Pain generators are my favorite. I looked for them a little online last night but couldnt find any.

• michael_w
    edited August 2004
    Macleoud click my link to ebay ... here it is again

pain generator
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited August 2004
    hmm.. maybe one could rig the burps to be the warning sound.. say you touch the truck wrong, the entire thing makes this loud-**** vibration.. but it'd be advertisin what's inside.. but it would be neat....
    -Jerry

• MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Originally posted by michael_w
    Macleoud click my link to ebay ... here it is again

pain generator

Thanks bro,

So thats what those things look like. Ive never seen them before.

I wonder if that would be a little overkill though. This thing says its for crowd control?! LOL That must be one loud **** siren. $300 though? Ouch. I didnt know they were that costly.

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    they have much smaller horns that you can fit behind panels
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    LOL!

I dont know, I kind of like the idea of "crowd control"!! :D

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    yea...id love to kill a thief through possibly one of the most painful ways possible...
    that or wrap him in wet rawhide and put him in the sun..
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Hmm, ya may need to lay off the cafeine there son. ;)

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2004
    I think the teddy bear pain generator I had was only around $60. I've been trying to find it on the Internet, but I think its been too long, would've been late eighties/early 90's. Some little kid probably lost their hearing from one so they quit making them.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    Yeah, thats what I was figuring was the case when I couldnt find them. Too many lawsuits maybe.

If I remember right, the dude I knew that had em had his in the far left and right A/C vent so they must notve been too big.

• exalted512
    edited August 2004
    just a thought...may God help the person i catch stealing from my truck
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2004
    I feel your pain. Ive never had anybody rip my gear off yet thank God but I can imagine the rage I would feel if it ever happened. Especially if I ever caught him in the act. It is times like these that 13 years in the gym paid off!

:mad: Grrrrrrr! Beefcake! :D