Decided to try Qobuz

Options
my first trip with a streaming service other than Pandora. I have the 30 day free trial but all that plays are 30 second clips. How do I get a complete album or set up a "station" that will play elated artists?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,446
    edited October 2
    Options
    Why do only want to play artists who are extremely happy?




    😆😆😆
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,677
    Options
    That's weird. Are you using their interphase controller? I use Roon to integrate Qobuz, so it's been a long time since I used the Qobuz app. The app is kind of clunky (compared to Roon) but it works well and should offer more than 30 seconds playback.

    You're not in the "purchasing" part of the app? That only plays about 30 sec snippets when you want to purchase and DL music.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | Galion TS P75 Pre | Holo Audio Cyan 2 Dac | MIT Shotgun S1 | Puritan Audio PSM136 Pwr Condtioner & Classic PC's | Legend L600 | Roon Nucleus 1 w/LPS - Tubes add soul!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 8,205
    edited October 2
    Options
    I tried their free trials a couple times, using the Daphile plugin. It was very easy to search for albums and play the full album. I think you must be interfacing with it incorrectly, or you're not logged in correctly on whatever app you are using. I know if I try to play Qobuz now, without a subscription, it only plays short snips of music.
    See profile for rigs. Nothing else here.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,903
    Options
    My guess also is not logged in/validated fully to an active account.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 5,222
    Options
    I have had Tidal and now I have Qobuz. Qobuz rules!
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,428
    Options
    I don't like either, but it seems it's all we got maybe?
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,677
    Options
    I don't like either, but it seems it's all we got maybe?

    When I hear people say this about Qobuz, I seriously wonder why? I'm about as critical as one can be about the source and I find very little if anything wrong with Qobuz streaming. It's as good or better than any redbook CD I own.

    No one has yet to succinctly state why they don't like it. It's usually vague generalizations. I have ZERO issues with how it sounds. I've compared my FLAC rips right next to the Qobuz version, I hear zero differences.

    I know that Qobuz doesn't have every available version of every release. So it is possible that some of a particular release is not the best version offered on Qobuz, but I haven't found any issues..........and I'm a very picky MFer when it comes to source material.

    I have to think people could have other issues in their system or the way they are acquiring their stream from Qobuz, if it's so poor for them.

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | Galion TS P75 Pre | Holo Audio Cyan 2 Dac | MIT Shotgun S1 | Puritan Audio PSM136 Pwr Condtioner & Classic PC's | Legend L600 | Roon Nucleus 1 w/LPS - Tubes add soul!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 8,205
    edited October 2
    Options
    I thought Qobuz sounded great, but ultimately, I prefer to pick my source media by specific digital masterings, and then track down the CD, rip it to my local media server and then have it forever available.
    If you like to explore music and don't want to maintain a curated digital collection, I think Qobuz is currently the best streaming option... unless you want a radio station experience... then just listen to Radio Paradise for free (or choose to support them like I do).
    See profile for rigs. Nothing else here.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,677
    edited October 2
    Options
    That's a great way to procure exactly what you want/like. But you can still use Qobuz for the slightly lesser important music.
    One thing I like about it; it has allowed me to go way deeper into a group or solo artists catalog and explore their entire recording career. I am not a millionaire and to "purchase" every recording from my casual likes just isn't financially possible. Plus, to me, it's a chore to rips cds to my music server unless it's not available on Qobuz.
    Plus I can it all at my finger tips. I don't have to perhaps "set aside" certain amount of funds for cd purchases each month, etc.
    My brother is the opposite. He has to have the physical media. He even agrees Qobuz sounds great (as good as the cd). But he has no interest in streaming, he needs to own. He' s single and can "indulge" himself in buying copious amounts of cds (mostly from used cd bins) from 2-3 surrounding states. The hunt and finding a hole in the wall record store from a forgotten era is part of why he likes the hunt to own the physical media.

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | Galion TS P75 Pre | Holo Audio Cyan 2 Dac | MIT Shotgun S1 | Puritan Audio PSM136 Pwr Condtioner & Classic PC's | Legend L600 | Roon Nucleus 1 w/LPS - Tubes add soul!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 26,142
    Options
    Qobuz has given me new appreciation for a wide range of music I might never have heard. Rap still suck regardless however.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2800 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon MiND2 Shunyata Triton/Typhon Rotel RP9400 Turntable

    “When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson


    How many flies need to be buzzing a dead horse before you guys stop beating it?
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 5,222
    Options
    Qobuz has given me new appreciation for a wide range of music I might never have heard. Rap still suck regardless however.
    Hit the target right on w this comment. Qobuz has a great selection of classical, ambient, jazz, new "alternative", and everything in between.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,428
    Options
    I should have clarified, sound quality is acceptable. My gripe is the overall user experience for both Tidal and Qobuz.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,316
    Options
    I checked and I am logged in. Gave my credit card info for payment after the 30 day trial...still only 30 second clips.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 8,205
    edited 11:27AM
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    I checked and I am logged in. Gave my credit card info for payment after the 30 day trial...still only 30 second clips.

    What is your streaming device? Which app are you using?
    See profile for rigs. Nothing else here.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,441
    Options
    Spotify Premium still does it for me, and has a great interface. If I really want a better version of an album, I'll seek out a CD, or download a hi-res version. My Innuos Zen MkIII has a built-in ripper and SSD, so very easy to rip and store CDs.

    I do have a Qobuz 'account', but not active, so I can do the 30 second snippets. I should do some hard 30 second comparisons to Spotify. The Qobuz snippets tend to be from the middle of the songs, though.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 18,419
    Options
    Qobuz has given me new appreciation for a wide range of music I might never have heard. Rap still suck regardless however.
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Qobuz has given me new appreciation for a wide range of music I might never have heard. Rap still suck regardless however.
    Hit the target right on w this comment. Qobuz has a great selection of classical, ambient, jazz, new "alternative", and everything in between.


    Agreed!!👍
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 20,355
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    I checked and I am logged in. Gave my credit card info for payment after the 30 day trial...still only 30 second clips.

    That should not be happening. You should be able to pull full song/albums. I will be full, unlimited access. Something is amiss.

    Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 6,068
    Options
    Log out and then log back in.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre Upgraded with Mundorf Supremes
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)


    There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,397
    Options
    Spotify Premium for me. Excellent sound quality & superb interface. I did try Tidal & Qobus & both sounded excellent but both services were the pits when it came to their interfaces. Neither one of those two can hold a candle compared to Spotify.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 8,205
    Options
    The interface wouldn't be a deciding factor for me. Qobuz pays the artists about 4-5 times more per stream compared to Spotify.
    See profile for rigs. Nothing else here.