Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,700
    edited October 9
    billbillw wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Climate change baby
    m3693gudlxcw.png

And how many of those years in that graph include human civilization? Zoom in on the last 10,000 years of that graph and you will see a huge increase at the tail end of that period which is what we are experiencing now.
    Humans, and a majority of living species cannot survive on this planet (with the current continental arrangement) when global average temperatures are above or below a pretty narrow window. There is a reason why population exploded after the last ice age ended as we have enjoyed a stable period for approximately 10,000 years. The last 150 years, there absolutely IS a sharp increase compared to the years prior.

Show me the source for your hypothetical supposition .🤔

Hypothetical? Its not a hypothesis. It is fact dude. Do some studying on this planets geological and climate history. Most of the time within that 500 Million year graph above, the planet was not habitable for us, as a settled agricultural society, or post industrial society.
    This is a 24,000 year graph:
    35dop7r97hg4.jpg
    https://www.washington.edu/news/2021/11/10/new-method-shows-todays-warming-unprecedented-over-past-24000-years/
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,428
    ^^ From that graph I *conclude* that Prehistoric humans were the biggest culprits in "global warming". Or. Maybe it is more complicated and we aren't looking at all the factors.

My biggest concern is global deforestation and overfishing and pollution of the oceans because there is no way that is anything but a bad thing.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,374
    edited October 9
    I wonder if any of those models take into account the fact that Earth’s orbit around something called a ‘SUN”, is closer than it has been in 2500 years, or that geological activity such as massive earthquakes and a super volcano have altered the tilt of the earth by almost a full degree in the past 100 years.

I suppose human activity caused all that too….
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,337
    edited October 9
    My biggest concern is global deforestation and overfishing and pollution of the oceans because there is no way that is anything but a bad thing.
    This is concerning to myself as well..
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,967
    I'm so glad to come here and read about Hurricane Milton.

This debate belongs in a seperate thread (without getting political).

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    F1nut wrote: »
    Climate change baby
    m3693gudlxcw.png

And how many of those years in that graph include human civilization? Zoom in on the last 10,000 years of that graph and you will see a huge increase at the tail end of that period which is what we are experiencing now.
    Humans, and a majority of living species cannot survive on this planet (with the current continental arrangement) when global average temperatures are above or below a pretty narrow window. There is a reason why population exploded after the last ice age ended as we have enjoyed a stable period for approximately 10,000 years. The last 150 years, there absolutely IS a sharp increase compared to the years prior.

Hypothetical? Its not a hypothesis. It is fact dude. Do some studying on this planets geological and climate history. Most of the time within that 500 Million year graph above, the planet was not habitable for us, as a settled agricultural society, or post industrial society.
    This is a 24,000 year graph:
    35dop7r97hg4.jpg
    https:/
    www.washington.edu/news/2021/11/10/new-
    method-shows-todays-
    warming-unprecedented-
    over-past-24000-years/

So....still waiting for proof of your hypothetical supposition 🤔

Sal Palooza
  • billbillw
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

I agree. There is no sense trying to give facts to people who are living in a cloud of misinformation.
  • Gardenstater
    edited October 9

Tom

I agree. There is no sense trying to give facts to people who are living in a cloud of misinformation.

Oh it's alarming no doubt. The graph really doesn't do it justice because the slope is really 4x steeper than shown, for recent times. They made it look better than it is (less steep relatively speaking) because the time scale is expanded to the left of the break in the x axis.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming......
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    62 mph gusts

20drqfhp7v71.jpg
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,818
    Now that we have fixed Global warming,
    lets tackle ABore shut and re LigION. :)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    Just looked at the trajectory, disneyjoe whom i visited is pretty much in the middle. If he still lives there. This was about 10yrs ago. I hope everyone stays safe.
  • Gardenstater

Tom

Oh it's alarming no doubt. The graph really doesn't do it justice because the slope is really 4x steeper than shown, for recent times. They made it look better than it is (less steep relatively speaking) because the time scale is expanded to the left of the break in the x axis.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming......

Correction. 8 Celsius Degrees per 10,000 years coming out of the ice age (?) vs 1.3 Celsius Degrees per 100 years in recorded recent times, actually is more like 16x more rapid temp. increase recently, regardless of the cause.

Milton now:

ivhyjveqcvfv.jpg

George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • treitz3
    Willow wrote: »
    disneyjoe

Wow. Blast from the past! I wonder if @Fishbones is still in the area.

There are many members from that area that will be affected. James and Dave Sauter.....and crew (for those who know them) will be taking a direct hit. Although, knowing Dave? He's up in NY right now.

My FIL is in St. Pete, in a new hurricane resistant building on the 6th floor. Just got off the phone with him and he still has power and he states that is is just a lot of rain right now. He's more worried about the debris fields from Helene that weren't picked up than himself. He's hoping he doesn't lose power (as of this post 247K reported power outages in FL) but I think that hope will be lost soon. Time will tell.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Gardenstater
    Almost making landfall now. 94mph gusts sheesh.

2dn714nekdal.jpg
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,143
    The power outages are already significant… 👇

nbfgu3k7xidz.png
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    In Manatee County, that’s already 65% of accounts. 61% of accounts in Sarasota County. 😬

ynz2ytadu98y.png
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    From Bloomberg News: 👇
    Hurricane Milton slammed into Florida’s west coast near Tampa with tree-snapping winds, pushing a wall of water onshore and putting lives at risk in the densely populated region.

Milton came ashore near Siesta Key with winds of 120 miles (205 kilometers) per hour, according to an advisory from the US National Hurricane Center, making it a Category 3 storm on the five-step Saffir-Simpson scale. It was the second hurricane to hit Florida in two weeks.

Massive flooding is expected from both the storm surge, which may reach up to 13 feet (4 meters) in some places, and heavy rain of 12 inches or more, the hurricane center said. In recent years, nearly half of all deaths in hurricanes have come from flooding.

Alea jacta est!
  • treitz3
    3 posts in a row? "Triggered"?

I could be wrong, I could be correct. I don't care. Something smells though....

Tom
  • Kex
    You are somewhat off topic @treitz3 and I am definitely not triggered. The only smells must be local to you. I suggest blaming it on the dog. 🤷‍♂️
    Alea jacta est!
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 650
    Kex wrote: »
    You are somewhat off topic @treitz3 and I am definitely not triggered. The only smells must be local to you. I suggest blaming it on the dog. 🤷‍♂️

t6lkpev2ftua.png

• Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 550
    ekqf7f1b4htt.jpg

My Son sent me this pic earlier this afternoon. Tornado touch down in Wellington, Palm Beach County, about 8 miles from his place.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    Pic of idiot in Florida driving too fast through standing water.
    oobykuguw8ae.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Kex
    Siesta Key in Sarasota County seems to be the area of landfall, which may be relatively good news for Tampa compared to what might have been. It’s 50-60 miles south and since the winds are anti-clockwise in nature, storm surge is likely to be worse farther south than towards the north.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Gardenstater
    1lwsdbvcim70.jpg
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,256
    Meantime, Sometimes sailors are crazy!
    A one-legged Florida man who has gained notoriety for deciding to ride out Hurricane Milton from inside his sailboat has opened up about his wild night at sea.

uqcfrn31arzs.png
    2qvbljku8w8y.png

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13944155/Lieutenant-Dan-Joseph-Malinowski-emerges-hurricane-Milton-boat-refusing-leave.html?ico=related-replace

"I'm doing my thing and whatever happens happens" -- LT. Dan
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,800
    ]

I think before each dip in temps, EV's were mandated and aerosols were banned.....:)

7y769klb0s5b.png

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Global-mean-temperatures-over-the-last-500-000-years-11_fig3_356606430
  • Gardenstater
    00ijpe0jgr17.jpg
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • billbillw
    edited October 10
    The storm ended up tracking further south and Tampa didn't get the devastation that could have happened, but the shredded dome at Tropicana field makes a good visual. DeSantis was on the air a couple hours ago and they were generally saying the state avoided a worst case scenario.
    I'm sure there is a huge amount of damage, but so far, it doesn't look like any communities were completely wiped from the map like with Helene, or what Michael did with Mexico Beach.
  • SIHAB
    All good with my friends and family. My sister is actually headed to St. Pete area...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • SIHAB
    The calm after the storm;
    wekzglxc6nsx.jpg
    A couple out walking their dog.