Hurricane Milton

Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,139
Tampa Fl. may be the target for Milton now but it could change. :|

My Stepdaughter moved to Tampa a few years back but seems to have had little to no damage in her Condo/Townhomes complex from the previous Hurricanes.

Flooding hasn't been a problem either.

My wife talked to her today but I didn't get relayed about what was said. Is she leaving? Is she staying?, I don't know. I'll ask tomorrow.

I saw some pics where thousands are heading out of Tampa Bay already.

It's not looking good. :#
Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.

Comments

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    Be safe everyone
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,428
    Hide from the wind. Run from the water.

Looks like 119 mph gusts (ventusky) right now and news media sources are projecting a huge increase to 155 mph by tomorrow morning. I hope that it doesn't play out that way and that it loses a lot of strength by landfall.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,256

The last time the eye of a major storm like Hurricane Milton struck Tampa Bay, in 1921, the city was a sleepy backwater of a few hundred thousand people. A century later, it's among the fastest-growing metropolises in the United States, with more than 3 million people, and highly vulnerable to flooding due to climate change.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2024-10-07/as-milton-takes-aim-at-florida-why-is-tampa-bay-so-vulnerable-to-hurricanes

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    highly vulnerable to flooding due to climate change.
    LMAO
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,700
    edited October 8
    F1nut wrote: »
    highly vulnerable to flooding due to climate change.
    LMAO

How is that funny? Nothing about a Category 4/5 storm hitting populated areas is remotely funny.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • F1nut
    edited October 8
    A hurricane is not funny. You stating the reason Tampa is highly vulnerable to flooding is solely due to climate change is. Hurricanes have been around forever.
    On October 25, 1921, the Tampa Bay Area suffered the most destructive hurricane to hit the area since 1848. A storm surge of up to 11 feet damaged and destroyed a significant amount of the structures along coastal locations from Pasco county south through southwest Florida.

Must have been climate change, eh.
    Post edited by F1nut on

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Hide from the wind. Run from the water.

Looks like 119 mph gusts (ventusky) right now and news media sources are projecting a huge increase to 155 mph by tomorrow morning. I hope that it doesn't play out that way and that it loses a lot of strength by landfall.

I don't know why ventusky.com is showing such a low wind speed compared to the 150 mph news stories are saying. First time I have had reason to suspect the accuracy of this site.
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Two problems here, F1nut. First, billbillw did not state that. Second, the phrase you quoted from BlueBirdMusic's post does not contain the word "solely," and the quoted bit does not imply sole cause. The USNews article linked above describes multiple reasons why Tampa is highly vulnerable to flooding. Climate change is one of the contributing factors, but no one has claimed it is the "sole" factor.
    Everywhere is within walking distance if you have enough time.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,337
    Most of Florida is only a few feet above sea level.
  • Tony M
    My wife just told me her daughter is staying in Tampa.

She is also having guests over. :o

Her roommate left before Hur. Helene got close but has decided to stay with the group this time around.

Shea has a 2-story Condo that's on the end of a quad. The Parking lots there are also not prone to flooding.

I hope the power gets restored quickly for all those who will lose it.
  • F1nut
    Two problems here, F1nut. First, billbillw did not state that. Second, the phrase you quoted from BlueBirdMusic's post does not contain the word "solely," and the quoted bit does not imply sole cause. The USNews article linked above describes multiple reasons why Tampa is highly vulnerable to flooding. Climate change is one of the contributing factors, but no one has claimed it is the "sole" factor.

Really? His statement, "highly vulnerable to flooding due to climate change" implies that is the sole reason. A more accurate statement would have been highly vulnerable to flooding when there is a hurricane.

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Tony M wrote: »
    My wife just told me her daughter is staying in Tampa.

She is also having guests over. :o

Her roommate left before Hur. Helene got close but has decided to stay with the group this time around.

Shea has a 2-story Condo that's on the end of a quad. The Parking lots there are also not prone to flooding.

I hope the power gets restored quickly for all those who will lose it.

Is she in an evacuation area? Tampa mayor saying some scary stuff if the evacuation warnings aren't heeded.

https://floridadisaster.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/lookup/index.html
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    So vegas, you mean you don't know the difference either?

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,967
    This is not the only person I have heard this from either. Milton is one for the record books (as if America needs this right now).

caopyz7je3hj.png

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Tony M
    edited October 8
    I don't know if she is in a mandatory evac. zone. I think she's 5 miles inland.

I'll ask my wife about it in a minute when she gets back inside.

My wife just said Shea's place is not in a mandatory evac. zone. The Condos are not in a flood zone either.
  • billbillw
    edited October 8
    treitz3 wrote: »
    This is not the only person I have heard this from either. Milton is one for the record books (as if America needs this right now).

caopyz7je3hj.png

Tom

The storm had weakened somewhat since those measurements yesterday. They keep talking about an eye wall restructuring, It may or may not restrengthen, but either way, which didn't take long apparently because it is back to a Cat 5 again. It is a massively strong storm and I have a sad feeling we will wake up Thursday morning to reports of widespread devastation, which will only increase through the day as areas become accessible and video starts trickling out. Prayers for all the people who didn't evacuate. My stepdad left Pasco County yesterday and it took him 4 hours to go 100 miles to Ocala. He worked his way up to middle Georgia, which took another 8hrs.

EDIT: I just read that the storm has has regained its Cat 5 strength.
  • Tony M
    edited October 8
    I haven't heard a thing about the remembrance of the destruction and rebuilding of Mexico Beach Florida that happened 5 years ago.

THAT was TERRIBLE! :'(

https://www.wtxl.com/weather/hurricane-center/we-were-so-utterly-devastated-how-mexico-beach-is-recovering-5-years-after-hurricane-michael
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,818
    I don't want to veer off course but...
    "highly vulnerable to flooding due to climate change" from the article
    does't jive with the data I've seen. The earth is actual cooling. Also, the
    data going back to 1970 (as far as they have been keeping it) suggest the
    frequency and intensity of hurricanes around the world has been flat.

Back to Milton.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Tony M
    edited October 8
    Well, back to the stepdaughter's location.

I was just told Shea's condo complex is 23 miles from the Bay and its elevation is 87' above sea level.

Sounds better to me now.

That 5-mile distance I was told earlier didn't sound too safe to me.

But, a Hurricane this size, 23 miles inland is STILL NOTHING to what the damaging winds can do!

I wish her and those who stayed in the path, safe harboring.
  • billbillw
    SIHAB wrote: »

...does't jive with the data I've seen. The earth is actual cooling.
    I'd like to know what data you are seeing.

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,359
    billbillw wrote: »

Why do you think they don't call it global warming anymore.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,967

I guess that would depend on the decade one looks up things. Remember in the 70's that "experts" and scientists said an ice age was coming...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • billbillw
    edited October 8
    invalid wrote: »

Why do you think they don't call it global warming anymore.

That's not what I asked. I was asking what data. I didn't call it Global Warming because it is more complex than that. SIHAB said temps are cooling by some data that he saw. I was curious.
    Really though, without cherry picking, somebody show me a valid chart of average global surface temperatures over the last 100 years that shows a trend that isn't sharply upward.
    Seems pretty clear to me.
    3a6bmt9ph4ux.png
  • F1nut
    Climate change baby
    m3693gudlxcw.png

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,374
    Climate change baby
    m3693gudlxcw.png

There was a couple “snowball” earths in there as well… were it not for CO2, it would still be an ice cube.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueBirdMusic
    edited October 9

"Climate Change" covers all the bases and makes it easy to be right regardless of the facts, or the weather. Both are essential when trying to steal the wealth of nations and pick the pockets of the taxpayer to pay for it.
    You received a "Vote Up"

Fits the definition of a perfect DISGUISE:

"Climate Change" covers all the bases and makes it easy to be right regardless of the facts, or the weather. Both are essential when trying to steal the wealth of nations and pick the pockets of the taxpayer to pay for it.

disguise
    cloak, mask mean to alter the dress or appearance of so as to conceal the identity or true nature. disguise implies a change in appearance or behavior that misleads by presenting a different apparent identity. disguised herself as a peasant.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • BlueBirdMusic
    edited October 9
    2o7vt9wjjmiu.png

Officials have warned that anyone staying behind must fend for themselves, as first responders are not expected to risk their lives attempting rescues at the height of the storm.

Orange County, where Mohammed Nijem's father in law Pedro Caceres lives, is not among those ordered to evacuate.

Caceres has gained attention on social media after a photograph was shared of his storm preparations - which included locking down his home with utility straps.

Harry / Marietta GA
  • billbillw
    Climate change baby
    m3693gudlxcw.png

And how many of those years in that graph include human civilization? Zoom in on the last 10,000 years of that graph and you will see a huge increase at the tail end of that period which is what we are experiencing now.
    Humans, and a majority of living species cannot survive on this planet (with the current continental arrangement) when global average temperatures are above or below a pretty narrow window. There is a reason why population exploded after the last ice age ended as we have enjoyed a stable period for approximately 10,000 years. The last 150 years, there absolutely IS a sharp increase compared to the years prior.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    Climate change baby
    m3693gudlxcw.png

And how many of those years in that graph include human civilization? Zoom in on the last 10,000 years of that graph and you will see a huge increase at the tail end of that period which is what we are experiencing now.
    Humans, and a majority of living species cannot survive on this planet (with the current continental arrangement) when global average temperatures are above or below a pretty narrow window. There is a reason why population exploded after the last ice age ended as we have enjoyed a stable period for approximately 10,000 years. The last 150 years, there absolutely IS a sharp increase compared to the years prior.

Show me the source for your hypothetical supposition .🤔

Sal Palooza