Winter is Coming, how are you protecting your ride?

2»

Comments

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,664
    mantis wrote: »
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    charley96 wrote: »
    I use a lot of Adam's product but, their new Ceramic Advanced line is crap.

The ceramic wax I put on is actually from Meguiar's.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-hybrid-ceramic-wax-easy-use-ceramic-wax-protection-g190526-26-oz

I picked it up on a whim, it was on sale. I ended up really liking it!

These are maintenance products , not going to give you long lasting protection. You're looking at 1-2 months if the car is outside and in the weather.

That's all I really need from it. There are absolutely more durable treatments, but this one is doing a good enough job that I'm going to stick with it, for now.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 767
    nxo8dyqfhdkk.jpg

This is my "New to me" truck. Last weekend I installed new Bilstein shocks and struts, gave it a good wash followed by clay bar detailing, and finished up with some Carnuba wax. Yesterday, I treated the undercarriage with Fluid Film undercoat, and tomorrow I will install new EBC rotors and pads on all four corners. I will probably wait another season to replace the tires.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,337
    edited October 11
    You see , this is exactly how it's designed to work. It's water activated and spreading it around the car to bond in all places , you're supposed to rinse it off.
    It doesn't. Spraying it on and rinsing it of results in a very splotchy finish. You see exactly where the product landed before the rinse. Those places bead, the area where it didn't land do not. The water does not magically coat the surface evenly with the product.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,182
    charley96 wrote: »
    I use a lot of Adam's product but, their new Ceramic Advanced line is crap.

The ceramic wax I put on is actually from Meguiar's.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-hybrid-ceramic-wax-easy-use-ceramic-wax-protection-g190526-26-oz

I picked it up on a whim, it was on sale. I ended up really liking it!

These are maintenance products , not going to give you long lasting protection. You're looking at 1-2 months if the car is outside and in the weather.

That's all I really need from it. There are absolutely more durable treatments, but this one is doing a good enough job that I'm going to stick with it, for now.

When your ready for something better, hit me up.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,115
    Those that say a trip through the touchless car wash is all they need must not live in the midwest if anything you leave the carwash with the salt road grime still on and your car freezes up overnight unless you put that dirty vehicle in a heated garage.

If you live in the Midwest a a through cleaning and detailing is needed before winter. I also find it therapeutic prepping the ride for winter blasting some tunes, tossing back a few cool ones then looking at a job well done once your finished. I used Adam's in the past I like the Hyperclean products. Touchless auto wash yeah right.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Upstatemax
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Those that say a trip through the touchless car wash is all they need must not live in the midwest if anything you leave the carwash with the salt road grime still on and your car freezes up overnight unless you put that dirty vehicle in a heated garage.

If you live in the Midwest a a through cleaning and detailing is needed before winter. I also find it therapeutic prepping the ride for winter blasting some tunes, tossing back a few cool ones then looking at a job well done once your finished. I used Adam's in the past I like the Hyperclean products. Touchless auto wash yeah right.

The “touchless” washes have their place.

I actually use them a bit in the winter, primarily for the undercarriage cleaning.

No, they aren’t going to CLEAN your car, but it’s better than nothing in some occasions.

Here in Upstate NY, they have been using this spray based off of fermented grape skins as a de-icing agent, it’s particularly nasty when it comes to crap clinging to your car.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,449

You need to frequent a better car wash. Touch less technology has come a long way. And yes, iIT IS good enough for those of us that don’t worship our vehicles - they’re just tools to get you from point A to point B man:-)
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• mantis
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    You see , this is exactly how it's designed to work. It's water activated and spreading it around the car to bond in all places , you're supposed to rinse it off.
    It doesn't. Spraying it on and rinsing it of results in a very splotchy finish. You see exactly where the product landed before the rinse. Those places bead, the area where it didn't land do not. The water does not magically coat the surface evenly with the product.

You may have not shaken up the product correctly. This technology not magic has been around for a number of years now. Can Coat I think was the first product to use it than other companies followed.
    I have Hyperclean Spraycoat and it works exactly the same way but it doesn''t cause splotchy results as you got from Maguirers version. That sucks as when it works, it works. very well. You should try about different brand if you're getting crappy results like that.
    Dan
  • mantis

I actually use them a bit in the winter, primarily for the undercarriage cleaning.

No, they aren’t going to CLEAN your car, but it’s better than nothing in some occasions.

Here in Upstate NY, they have been using this spray based off of fermented grape skins as a de-icing agent, it’s particularly nasty when it comes to crap clinging to your car.

So touchlelss car washes use very harsh chemicals in order to be touch less. They also remove any wax or sealants you may have applied to your car. All SIO2 sprays are sealants not coating. The only thing can can survive a touch less car wash is an actual ceramic coating.

Getting the salt off your car in the winter and undercarriage is a very good thing but using these car washes your giving for one thing to get another.

Most people as mentioned don't care about their vehicles as some other people do. That's ok as we all have a level of care we like to bring to our vehicles.
    Dan
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,337

You may have not shaken up the product correctly. This technology not magic has been around for a number of years now. Can Coat I think was the first product to use it than other companies followed.
    I have Hyperclean Spraycoat and it works exactly the same way but it doesn''t cause splotchy results as you got from Maguirers version. That sucks as when it works, it works. very well. You should try about different brand if you're getting crappy results like that.
    Dan, I use it like wax. The blue spray wax I spray on and wipe off. The green wax bottle, I wax on let haze and wipe off, both work great when used this way. The blue bottle should be used as a booster between green bottle use.
    Yes I shake bottle and mix completely, I'm not that stupid.

• Upstatemax
    edited October 12

So touchlelss car washes use very harsh chemicals in order to be touch less. They also remove any wax or sealants you may have applied to your car. All SIO2 sprays are sealants not coating. The only thing can can survive a touch less car wash is an actual ceramic coating.

Getting the salt off your car in the winter and undercarriage is a very good thing but using these car washes your giving for one thing to get another.

Most people as mentioned don't care about their vehicles as some other people do. That's ok as we all have a level of care we like to bring to our vehicles.

The touchless wash up the street from me offers a wash that finishes with a ceramic sealer, to re-seal the car.

Use that a handful of times through winter, then do another full clean and decontamination of the car in the spring.

For sure, a proper ceramic coating would be longer lasting and more durable. However, the sealers after every wash have been serving me well enough that I’m not yet interested in applying a more advanced coating, yet. Let’s see what next year brings!
  • mantis

Dan, I use it like wax. The blue spray wax I spray on and wipe off. The green wax bottle, I wax on let haze and wipe off, both work great when used this way. The blue bottle should be used as a booster between green bottle use.
    Yes I shake bottle and mix completely, I'm not that stupid.

Nobody's calling you stupid but you wouldn't believe how many first off don't read the instructions or shake the bottle before use.
    Dan
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,192
    Winter is coming? It was 93 here today.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • mantis
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

it's going to be 82 here today, it was 73 yesterday go figure
    Dan
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,745
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

We've been visiting friends in Vegas for the last week. Loving the 90's. Sad to head home tomorrow to 50-60.😢
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 319
    I'm with ya Ken, I hate to see the cooler weather come too.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,139
    edited October 15
    The Rain from H. Helene pounded at least 1/2 of the wax coating off of my truck and car that I put on not long ago. Such a stupid simple dilemma to have considering what tens of thousands of people are seriously going through from the same Hurricane and then H. Milton on top of the first one.

So yesterday, I washed my car and truck in prep for today's waxing of the top surfaces...again.

Damn, I'm getting too old for this! It wore me out washing yesterday and waxing on and off today, and it was a nice 70* on both days. :#

And I also didn't wax some of the car and truck near the ground where the rain didn't hit.
    The wax is still thick there from the previous waxing.

Maybe I'm done with the waxing until spring comes back around.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 767
    My dad used to say that any wax that is easy to apply will wash off with the first heavy rain, that's why he always used carnuba wax. That stuck with me and is why I always use carnuba. I often wonder about these spray on waxes and all the fancy catch phrase coatings on the market. Do any of them hold up as well as hard carnuba? Do they offer the same level of protection?
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,591
    Keep in mind SOME if not most car wash joints use Recycled water for undercarriage.. When you go thru car wash all that water that is cleaning your body dirt/oils/salt/calcium & chemicals will be used on your undercarriage.. You can ask them if they do recycle the water (some attendant's don't know). Never hurts to know what is happening with your investment
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,139
    edited October 16
    newbie308 wrote: »
    My dad used to say that any wax that is easy to apply will wash off with the first heavy rain, that's why he always used carnuba wax. That stuck with me and is why I always use carnuba. I often wonder about these spray on waxes and all the fancy catch phrase coatings on the market. Do any of them hold up as well as hard carnuba? Do they offer the same level of protection?

I used to use Turtle wax paste. My Dad used it so...

Then Nu-Finish came out. I used it BUT...I was cleaning my vehicles with DAWN... :s . I learned about that bs after a couple of years or more. I started to buy Meguire's car wash liquid soap that doesn't desolve waxes.

Then I found Black magic liquid wax. The reviews were GREAT. So I started to use it for years. It was pretty good too. Then it was discontinued. OK...my neighbor swore by Zymol w/carnuba wax but it was $$$ and I couldn't or didn't want to spend that much.

Well after Black Magic discontinued thier wax, I bought Meguires Gold Class w/Carnuba wax. It's $$ but I can afford most any car wax now. I bought the Paste in a can. I LOVE it!

It goes on easy, comes off with a little effort. It really does last a long time since I use REAL CAR-WASH detergent that doesn't disolve wax. :D

I HAVE thought about trying something new like what a member here sells. Maybe next spring.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mantis
    Tony M wrote: »
    The Rain from H. Helene pounded at least 1/2 of the wax coating off of my truck and car that I put on not long ago. Such a stupid simple dilemma to have considering what tens of thousands of people are seriously going through from the same Hurricane and then H. Milton on top of the first one.

So yesterday, I washed my car and truck in prep for today's waxing of the top surfaces...again.

Damn, I'm getting too old for this! It wore me out washing yesterday and waxing on and off today, and it was a nice 70* on both days. :#

And I also didn't wax some of the car and truck near the ground where the rain didn't hit.
    The wax is still thick there from the previous waxing.

Maybe I'm done with the waxing until spring comes back around.

They make spray sealants which is much easier than actual waxing plus actually lasts longer with better protection. If you need any tips on good stuff to do so hit me up.
    Dan
  • mantis
    newbie308 wrote: »

Carnuba is an organic way to put a nice shine on your car and give you about 1-2 months of protection on a vehicle that sits outside. I really enjoy carnauba waxes sometimes especially for garage queens that don't see weather and it's nice to do the work, for me anyway.

Fast forward to todays technology and spray on paint sealants no matter what they call them , this is what they are can last up to a year or so, mostly less average is about 3-8 months , are super easy spray on wipe off and protect better.

Actual ceramic coatings are a completely different thing. They are applied slightly different and last anywhere from 1-5 years. Coating claim anymore than that I'm very suspect as that is an extremely long time to have any protection last. PPF wears down in 5 years and PPF is a much better protection than any coating.
    Dan
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,865
    What do you mean by “PPF wears down in 5 years?” I’ve got a 9 1/2 year-old vehicle that was PPF’d when new and another one that’s 7 1/2 years old. I see no indication of wearing down.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM