Winter is Coming, how are you protecting your ride?

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,182
edited September 28 in The Clubhouse
So the season is changing.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,139
    edited September 28
    I waxed my car and truck. My wife's car has no clear coat left so I don't wax it.

I checked the tire pressure in all 3 vehicles and filled to the correct pressures where needed.

I changed the wipers on the 2 cars a month or 2 ago. The truck's wipers were still ok.

I cleaned all the windows on all 3 vehicles inside and out.

I checked ALL the fluids and topped off the window cleaner reservoirs with "good to" -20* cleaner.

I checked all the fan belts for cracks.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • I'm getting her a new pair of galoshes
    Maybe some gloves, t.oo
    Sal Palooza
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,560
    A coating of dragon glass polish, far more powerful then your typical ceramics
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
  • mantis
    VR3 wrote: »
    A coating of dragon glass polish, far more powerful then your typical ceramics
    Explain please
    Dan
  • VR3
    4ttakwdktdeq.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Had the car detailed a month or so ago, and when I wash I have been drying using Opti-Seal for some added protection.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,121
    Winter here in Ct. is a thing of the past. There's no need to do anything now other than cover the boat, camper and plug the battery tender into the motorcycle battery.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,192
    I’m in Texas, so it’s still in the upper 80’s/low 90’s. Winter is still a few months away and even then no need to go anything special to my car.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,967
    Garage.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Garage.

Tom

That's what we do. Still too early for winter tires or washer fluid. Plus we are still mountain biking and the inside gets full of sand and crud. Once that is over, a major clean, wash, polish.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,115
    edited October 4
    qvd1knd35071.jpg

Prepping the Truck for the winter with Hyperclean products. The Fugeo works miracles on those little rust dots that appear on white vehicles. Washed all the grime bugs and muck off while the weather is still warm enough. Tommorow Clay Bar and Uno Ceramic coating. This will make my Hunting truck the cleanest out in the field.

No affiliation with the products being used however I'm pretty sure the OP is familiar with this excellent line of car care products😁

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,449
    When I was younger, I spent hours upon hours washing, polishing, buffing, detailing my cars and trucks. The one thing I can tell you with absolute certainty? One of the best decisions I ever made was to reclaim that time and spend it on things that really matter (to me). I came to realize that cars and trucks are just tools. Drive through touch less car washes and garage living is all they need and all they get. I’m actually more concerned any more with the cleanliness of the INSIDE - where I am - than the outside, lol.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• VR3
    daddyjt wrote: »
    When I was younger, I spent hours upon hours washing, polishing, buffing, detailing my cars and trucks. The one thing I can tell you with absolute certainty? One of the best decisions I ever made was to reclaim that time and spend it on things that really matter (to me). I came to realize that cars and trucks are just tools. Drive through touch less car washes and garage living is all they need and all they get. I’m actually more concerned any more with the cleanliness of the INSIDE - where I am - than the outside, lol.

I relate heavily to this.

I wasted way to much time detailing vehicles.

Now I buy a top wash every 45 days, it's about 20 bucks. It comes with a free rewash within 4 days which I use to wash the other car.

I throw a layer of Zaino on them about once every 4 years which takes about 90 minutes.

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,865
    daddyjt wrote: »

While I can totally relate to your comments and appreciate your decision, a day out in the garage detailing one of the vehicles is as therapeutic to me as a day in the basement listening to the rig.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,967
    ^^^ folks, this is a classic case of a nut job.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,865
    Guilty! 😝

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • mantis
    Detailing is one of my biggest passions. Hyperclean is my product of choice, as most of you know.
    Dan
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,360
    edited October 7
    My V50 sits out in the elements all year so I do a bi-annual clay bar, polish and wax. In the past I've used Meguiars Deep Crystal and Tech Wax. Then I tried some ceramics that promised much and they were ok. Last year I tried some Chemical Guys P4 polish followed by Hydroslick. It looked better and held up a little better. Probably something better out there. Did the same this year since I have plenty of it left. The car looks great for 20 years old and 200000 miles.

I'm also trying some Chemical Guys interior products. My main problem with Chemical Guys is thay have way too many products to pick from.
    tenr7ix1584g.jpg
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • mantis
    skrol wrote: »
    My V50 sits out in the elements all year so I do a bi-annual clay bar, polish and wax. In the past I've used Meguiars Deep Crystal and Tech Wax. Then I tried some ceramics that promised much and they were ok. Last year I tried some Chemical Guys P4 polish followed by Hydroslick. It looked better and held up a little better. Probably something better out there. Did the same this year since I have plenty of it left. The car looks great for 20 years old and 200000 miles.

I'm also trying some Chemical Guys interior products. My main problem with Chemical Guys is thay have way too many products to pick from.
    tenr7ix1584g.jpg

Chemical Guys makes a lot of products because they have been around a long time. They make a product and then years later make an improved version while retaining the original which many Chemical Guy fans like the older products. Nothing wrong with their product line, I use to use them years ago.
    Dan
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,664
    Both our cars will get a full wash, decontamination, wax and ceramic finisher to help provide a bit more protection.

I've been super happy with Adam's Polishes products.
  • mantis
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Both our cars will get a full wash, decontamination, wax and ceramic finisher to help provide a bit more protection.

I've been super happy with Adam's Polishes products.

Adam's makes good stuff. They were my go to for a long time.
    Dan
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 319
    I use a lot of Adam's product but, their new Ceramic Advanced line is crap.
  • Upstatemax
    charley96 wrote: »

The ceramic wax I put on is actually from Meguiar's.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-hybrid-ceramic-wax-easy-use-ceramic-wax-protection-g190526-26-oz

I picked it up on a whim, it was on sale. I ended up really liking it!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,337

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-hybrid-ceramic-wax-easy-use-ceramic-wax-protection-g190526-26-oz

Hopefully you do not spray it on and rinse it off.
    It works much much better to spray it on and wipe it off like regular wax.
    I use both but this works much better and lasts a LOT longer
    https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-hybrid-ceramic-liquid-wax-long-lasting-ceramic-protection-easy-use-wax

Put it on like normal wax let haze and wipe off.
  • Upstatemax
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-hybrid-ceramic-liquid-wax-long-lasting-ceramic-protection-easy-use-wax

I don’t rinse it off.

I wash and rinse the car, then I put about 1 spray of this on per panel and then dry the car as normal.
  • mantis

What is their new Advanced ceramic line? I can't seem to find it on their website. What is wrong with this line anyway?
    Dan
  • mantis

These are maintenance products , not going to give you long lasting protection. You're looking at 1-2 months if the car is outside and in the weather.
    Dan
  • mantis
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

You see , this is exactly how it's designed to work. It's water activated and spreading it around the car to bond in all places , you're supposed to rinse it off.

I know that makes no sense when you think about it and think you're rinsing off your protection BUT that's exactly how it works. It's freaky technology but it does work. I have used other brands with this tech and it's great, easy and super fast.

Dan
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 319
    mantis wrote: »

What is their new Advanced ceramic line? I can't seem to find it on their website. What is wrong with this line anyway?

yersxh8j7rep.jpeg
    Too many high spots and when addressed per Adam's instructions even more are introduced. I had the same experience with one of their previous coatings. Time to find a different brand.