T-Mobile home internet

muncybob
muncybob Posts: 3,031
Finally they have the modem/router that has the 4 jacks for an external antenna. Local store is out of them and might be getting one shipped to us, but I see them on Ebay and assuming they don't have a SIM card. Would the SIM card in our current older T-Mobile "black box" modem work in the newer "white box" modems?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    It should, it's a SIM card, the tech doesn't change.

I know the set up for the new stuff is different, though, 'cause T-mobile is trying to keep people from putting the hot spots in RVs and not paying the RV unit charges so you may need to get on the horn with them and have them activate it for your new unit on their end.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,703
    edited July 15
    The ones on eBay are probably owned by T-Mobile and the customers didn't return them. They may be subject to blacklisting so I'd be cautious of that route. I ended up finding one of them by asking around the store reps. The highest volume stores tend to have them in stock. That may only help if you are in a metro area with multiple stores around. If not, you are kinda stuck.
    As far as T-Mobile sending you one, if you are going for a replacement (refurb) through their customer service/tech support, they usually only send out the identical model as a replacement. I did that once and still had problems.
    It takes a new order for them to ship you a brand new one. That's why the store swap works out better. I had numerous logged complaints about my older black box gateway, so they swapped out mine with no questions. I did this back at in May and it was well worth the hassle. My speeds improved greatly since my older gateway wouldn't connect to the 5G signals anymore. It was stuck on LTE with max speeds of 100/10. New white gateway sees 750/40 typically. It has been really stable too. I have not tried to use an external antenna since my signals in the house are already pretty good based on my speeds.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • muncybob
    I would be happy with anything over 20mb! If I go thru the store I have to get the G4AR which is the mesh package meaning we would pay an extra $20/mo for something we don;t need(wifi is actually pretty good here to 200') but only small towns around here and they don;t have the G4SE which would not be an increase in what we are paying, but I guess that's what we'll be doing...don;t want to take a chance on Ebay models.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,121
    Is anyone using t mobile for cell service and have any thoughts on it? I have AT&T and their pricing is pushing me into finding a new provider.
  • billbillw
    edited July 15
    muncybob wrote: »
    I would be happy with anything over 20mb! If I go thru the store I have to get the G4AR which is the mesh package meaning we would pay an extra $20/mo for something we don;t need(wifi is actually pretty good here to 200') but only small towns around here and they don;t have the G4SE which would not be an increase in what we are paying, but I guess that's what we'll be doing...don;t want to take a chance on Ebay models.

I think your store rep is forcing an upsell on you. You should be able to get the G4AR by itself and keep the same service/price. That's what I did. It just has to be under the premise of a replacement for an existing bad gateway.
  • billbillw
    Is anyone using t mobile for cell service and have any thoughts on it? I have AT&T and their pricing is pushing me into finding a new provider.

Lots of factors to consider. Number of lines? Are you trying to get subsidized phones every 24 months? Do you travel a lot where international roaming or data is beneficial? Are you looking for perks like free streaming services?
    If not, there are huge savings from going to one of the prepaid services like US Mobile any of several choices.

There are plenty of internet resources and YouTube channels to help you choose.
    Check out Stetson Doggett on youtube or bestphoneplans.net for some comparison tools.
  • muncybob
    Just cannot find the SE model, even the corporate store in Harrisburg doesn't have them. Oh well, $20 addl will be worth it if we can stream certain things w/o buffering...then it's goodbye to DirecTV
  • billbillw
    Just cannot find the SE model, even the corporate store in Harrisburg doesn't have them. Oh well, $20 addl will be worth it if we can stream certain things w/o buffering...then it's goodbye to DirecTV

What I was trying to tell you is, the AR model works just fine. If your local store has the G4AR, go in and ask to swap it based on the complaint that your current box is malfunctioning. If they try to say the G4AR has to come with the mesh kit, tell them no, you want to stick to your same plan. They are just upselling based on newer commission structures and pressure from management.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,121

I'm using mint which is now owned by and on T-mobiles network. I sure like the savings, and it's been great for us. Worked great in Greece and Turkey as well if that matters to you.

I always buy my phones refurbished or on eBay and then use a cheaper service like mint and i save close to $1000 a year...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,564
    Us mobile 275 a year unlimited everything

No complaints
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,337
    VR3 wrote: »

No complaints

Not available everywhere. It's available 45 minutes from my house BUT not available in our city or cities around us. My son had them for a long time, one day he got a letter telling him he had to change networks, he didn't, they up and turned off his phone.
  • VR3
    There's so many 3rd party network companies though...

A few years ago I decided to stay limber in monthly bills like this.

I have multiple hook ups for home internet and paid off phones and I'm prepared and willing to switch providers at a moments notice if we can't reach agreeable pricing.

23 a mo for unlimited phones and 40 a mo for unlimited gigabit internet lowest I have achieved in my area
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • billbillw
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

No complaints

Not available everywhere. It's available 45 minutes from my house BUT not available in our city or cities around us. My son had them for a long time, one day he got a letter telling him he had to change networks, he didn't, they up and turned off his phone.

Really? US Mobile can use T-mobile towers or Verizon towers (you pick which one at the initial setup). So you are saying you only have AT&T towers near you? If so, check out Cricket?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,337
    edited July 16
    billbillw wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

No complaints

Really? US Mobile can use T-mobile towers or Verizon towers (you pick which one at the initial setup). So you are saying you only have AT&T towers near you? If so, check out Cricket?

Nevermind. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • motorstereo
    I signed up today for t-mobile cell service. $60 a month for 2 lines which is better than $114 I paid last month with at&t. They'll also pay off up to $800 of my "free" phone through at&t and supposedly the coverage is excellent. I hate changing providers but sometimes it's necessary.
  • muncybob

What I was trying to tell you is, the AR model works just fine. If your local store has the G4AR, go in and ask to swap it based on the complaint that your current box is malfunctioning. If they try to say the G4AR has to come with the mesh kit, tell them no, you want to stick to your same plan. They are just upselling based on newer commission structures and pressure from management.

Every store I have called say they only have mesh systems available, and I have called a lot of stores...even 1.5 hours away in larger metro area and get same response.
  • billbillw
    edited July 17

Every store I have called say they only have mesh systems available, and I have called a lot of stores...even 1.5 hours away in larger metro area and get same response.

If they have the so called mesh system, then they should have the G4AR. The pieces come in separate boxes (the G4AR does not come packaged with the other pieces). They do not have to switch your plan. Yes, they want to move you to the higher plan, but it is not mandatory, especially if you are exchanging a box that is bad (play it up!) for a replacement. You just have to be firm and say that the tech support (over the phone) said to exchange the gateway for the updated version.
    This is literally what I did just over a month ago.

• CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,062
    edited July 18
    Also personally using T-Mobile thru Mint. $15/month annual prepaid for unlimited voice, unlimited text, and 15 GB/month data. Hotspot works well on Galaxy S22.

Have put a couple of clients on T-Mobile Home Internet. One of them is T-Mobile Internet for Business. Each are the same price, $55-60/month when autobilled. Neither modem/router is near a wall. Both are getting 130+ Mbps/20+ Mbps. One is running up to 6 simultaneous HD TV streams and at least six additional devices.

Any inexpensive omnidirectional antennas you folks have found to work well with the TM routers? I've tried a couple but they don't seem to make a difference on the business model with two antenna connectors. Current clients don't need it but an upcoming one may.
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    Team mobile here. Unit is the original style cylinder. It's in the middle of the house.
    150 down and 40 up is pretty typical. I moved it from the windows area because
    it was causing a low buzz in my tube headphone amp. Have used it since the
    beginning of 2022. Using free TV as well. Wireless connections work well.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • muncybob
    Well, I finally gave in to T-Mobile and got the mesh system. Gateway with the mesh arrived yesterday.
    I saw better than normal download speeds right out of the box. After installing the Waveform external antenna the speeds increased to 30+ mbs download which for us was almost never that fast previously.

In finding the best location for the antenna I ran speed tests at both the computer and at the TV. Things were looking promising but last night while trying to stream a movie on the firestick the dang thing started buffering. So I ran a speed test on the firestick at the TV and it was less than 2mbs! A test at the PC showed 30+. Is the firestick the culprit and if so, how do I remedy it?
  • billbillw
    edited July 20
    So I ran a speed test on the firestick at the TV and it was less than 2mbs! A test at the PC showed 30+. Is the firestick the culprit and if so, how do I remedy it?

Switch to a Roku Ultra :D
    Seriously though, how old is the Firestick? I assume it is a wifi only device. If it is more than 4 years old, maybe upgrade to a newer one. If it is mounted to the back of the TV, maybe try using one of the HDMI extension cables that allow mounting of the firestick further away? There is pretty solid evidence that and LCD/OLED/Plasma TV can block a significant amount of wifi signal. There seem to be a lot of choices for 3' to 6' cables on Amazon for $10 or less.
    Anyway, glad you have seen some improvements in the speed of the service.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,143
    Any external streamer (Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast…) is going to work better than an HDMI stick of any flavor, because then you can use Ethernet rather than WiFi. There won’t be any loss of signal over what is arriving at the modem.

Since you are already in the Amazon universe with a Firestick, a Roku Ultra might be the best option. It is the ONLY Roku AFAIK that includes Ethernet instead of just WiFi.

Roku is sort of agnostic when it comes to services in that it offers an Apple TV app as well as apps for the other main services, including whatever you currently use from Amazon.

$80 currently.

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    P.S. if you are truly enamored with Alexa and the Amazon Fire TV universe, the ONLY Fire TV device that has Ethernet is the Fire TV Cube AFAIK, but that is $140. Not the end of the world though, if you truly like Alexa.

I do think that a wired connection is preferable with your somewhat limited download speeds, even though they are better than anything you’ve had before.
    Alea jacta est!
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 929
    Kex wrote: »
    P.S. if you are truly enamored with Alexa and the Amazon Fire TV universe, the ONLY Fire TV device that has Ethernet is the Fire TV Cube AFAIK, but that is $140. Not the end of the world though, if you truly like Alexa.

I do think that a wired connection is preferable with your somewhat limited download speeds, even though they are better than anything you’ve had before.

You can actually get this freak-dongle adapter thingy which is twice the size of the FireTV stick and allows you to use ethernet on it.

It's ridiculous, but pretty darn funny.
  • VR3
    Rubbing dongle may not be appropriate for the forum
  • muncybob
    Due to the location of the router and the TV, ethernet (while I'm sure is preferable) is not really an option. Not stuck on Alexa or Firestick, just what I'm using for an APK install.

Ran a speed test using just the TV's app(wireless) and the speed is very close to the PC (ethernet) and would be enough to avoid buffering. So, since wired is not an option I guess I need to replace the stick(it is 3+ years old). Since the app I'm referring to looks as though it can be installed on either the Fire & Roku, is there a preference for better speed?
  • billbillw
    edited July 21
    I didn't think that Roku has any APK loading ability. What app? I know it can't do Kodi.
    Definitely try the hdmi extension cable to get your firestick into a spot with unobstructed signal to your mesh AP.
    Personally, I much prefer the interface of Roku vs Firestick, but I don't do much with Prime TV. If you are Prime-centric, that may be different for you.
    As for the various Roku boxes, I'd say the Ultra is worth the extra $ for Dolby Vision and the latest processor, plus it has more storage for apps and ethernet, if you ever change your mind about running a Cat6 cable.
    Post edited by billbillw on
  • Kex
    Is your TV HD or 4K?

If it’s only HD, then there’s probably no point in a 4K streamer for now, unless you plan to upgrade reasonably soon.

Difficult to say how your signal would impact that also. Can it maintain a strong 4K signal? 30 Mbps might be insufficient, although it should technically be enough for a single stream.
    Alea jacta est!
  • billbillw
    Kex, your going off-track I think. Any of the current streamers that are worth owning are 4K. They will only pull 4K if his TV is 4K, otherwise, he's just streaming a 1080p signal from the source. The newer boxes will have faster/better wi-fi and better processors for decoding the media and for general snappy navigation. Every 3-4 years, there is a noticeable jump in the efficiency of these devices. Even if he has a 4K TV, he can set the resolution to 1080P if he notices too much buffering.
  • motorstereo
    I spent the past 2 days getting tmobile as my new cell provider and what a hassle it was. I've been with at&t since I came home with a dial up desktop phone in 78 and they did not want to let go. 4 trips to the at&t store, countless trips and phone calls to both providers and finally it's over.

So far I'm pleased and coverage seems to be better than at&t. Time will tell and I'm hoping this is the end of my changing service providers for a long time as I also swapped internet providers just last month. That was a nice upgrade in speed and at about 1/3 of the previous provider's price. I did inquire about tmobile internet while I was in their store and they claimed they couldn't match my current price of $28.10 a month for 500mbs from Frontier.