Legend Line being discontinued.......?

Options

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,223
    edited May 8
    Options
    lilwolf555 wrote: »
    Interesting. My reply from Polk directly they said they are discontinuing the L800s and if I wanted to buy em, I would have to elsewhere as they aren't making more. I didn't specifically ask about the other models though.

If Polk no longer has inventory for the beauty rings around the drivers and the terminal plates for the Legend series, they are done with the series altogether. If you want L800's, one on black and the other in brown, or L900 height modules, you are all set. Everything else is gone and they are not coming back.
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,731
    Options
    I have no need for height modules and probably never will, but man, now I'm wondering.

Did you get them for your L800s?
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    I have no need for height modules and probably never will, but man, now I'm wondering.

I did… the work very well.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,035
    Options

I did… the work very well.

If I used my L800’s in a surround set-up I would have already snagged them, but I don’t foresee that ever happening, especially now..
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,797
    Options
    The trim rings would be more economical to 3D print than machine out of alloy.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,240
    edited May 9
    Options
    Should be relatively easy to draw up in cad. Od, Id then height differences between the two with a round over slope then locate the pins.

Agree 3d print would be way way cheaper.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • msg
    Options
    Can one smooth the finish on 3D printed objects? Just abrasives line anything else?

I only have a few 3D printed items, and they all have the layer lines. For something like trim rings, I'd think one'd prefer a cleaner finish.
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    Options
    Yes there's a process for it but I'm not fully up on 3d printers to go into detail
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Options
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Should be relatively easy to draw up in cad. Od, Id then height differences between the two with a round over slope then locate the pins.

Agree 3d print would be way way cheaper.

Funny you should say that… I have the CAD files.

• VR3
    Options
    There's plenty of 3d print communities. I'm sure someone would take on the contract work
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 694
    Options
    You can use a technique called vapor smoothing for ABS and ASA filaments. It needs venting, but the results are great.

A lot of people use a carbon fiber-infused filament to give prints a textured look. It helps obscure layer lines.

On my new printers, if I go for high quality, you can't tell a simple object (like a ring, cube, etc.) is printed unless you look up close- sometimes up REALLY close.

I'm waiting for my important printing projects to get finished (hopefully by June), then I'm going to print some beveled rings for my 1C and 5B. I'll probably print in a matte PLA, and if that doesn't look great I'll try the ASA (I have a roll of black I've kept for a special project).
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * custom 5B on a system for my Dad * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • msg
    Options
    Good info @plastic_avatar and @VR3, thanks for the quick answers!

Was just curious whether any of you were doing anything for that. Just something I noticed. Ability to refine the finished product certainly makes 3d printing a better contender for parts fab where finish quality is a consideration.
    I disabled signatures.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,105
    Options
    I think it's really crappy (sh*^^y) of a company to stop producing replacement parts before they sell all the discontinued inventory or to cover a 5 year warranty?

WTF, say I have an accident with my left L600, basically no replacement parts are available or will be available. It should be a crime. If someone said to me you can buy these speakers but when they are discontinued there will no replacement parts......I'd have looked elsewhere. It's a HUGE disservice to not offer replacement parts for a period of time after discontinuation, or atleast 5 years out from your last sale. What good is a warranty if they stop making replacement parts?

I don't expect them to have parts for 20 years, but they don't seem to have parts to even cover the 5 year warranty. Atleast that's the info I seem to glean from here and other sources.

Am I reading this wrong?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    So long as they are making the Reserve line, drivers and tweeters should be ok. I wonder about the trim rings from the Reserve and if they might work on Legends...

• heiney9
    Options
    So long as they are making the Reserve line, drivers and tweeters should be ok. I wonder about the trim rings from the Reserve and if they might work on Legends...

It's complete horse sh^t that they aren't producing full sets replacement parts for their most expensive line of speakers for at least 5 years. I never expected this from Polk regardless who owned the name.

I won't be buying any more products if this is how they are going to run things. I'll stop recommending them as well. I have probably sold a few sets of Reserve and Legend lines based on my enthusiasm for the company and the product.

Just when I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a full HT system. I was going to buy the full Signature Elite line, but I'm now thinking very hard about going with a company that actually can stand behind what they sell.

Man this really, really irks me!!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • msg
    Options
    Get used to it. It's not new, it's happening everywhere with nearly all goods, and we're never going back to long lasting quality and years if support and great customer service - not in anything.

How many of we Legend owners paid full retail or only bought on promo? We contribute to the problem when we do this. Worse when we spread that tip to other friends or family who only buy at half off. Can we accept deep discounts like that and expect a company to survive and support the product?

In the future, maybe consider using any purchase savings to immediately stock up on replacement parts, or buy multiple sets so you have a backup. I do this sometimes when I find stuff I like, because I've learned that it's sure to disappear or change.
    I disabled signatures.
  • xschop
    Options
    In this day and age, it'd be wise to plan for planned obsolescence.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,105
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    It's complete horse sh^t that they aren't producing full sets replacement parts for their most expensive line of speakers for at least 5 years. I never expected this from Polk regardless who owned the name.

I won't be buying any more products if this is how they are going to run things. I'll stop recommending them as well. I have probably sold a few sets of Reserve and Legend lines based on my enthusiasm for the company and the product.

DITTO

if the vanilla folk at sound united don't know what that means . . . I won't be buying any more products either!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,465
    edited May 15
    Options
    Very disappointing to be sure. I do agree that not making sure replacement parts are available from when the last set is sold is really a d@@k move. Makes me wonder how long the Reserves will be made. I'd better start thinking about getting some replacement parts myself as I buy new speakers every 30 years or so, so..., I'll die owning these...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • heiney9
    Options
    What good is the warranty if there are no parts in the next 5 years. I get it, it's the way it is these days. If so, then don't talk about a warranty or offer a warranty.

Think what would happen if the auto industry did this? Sorry your car is a year old but we have no OEM parts for it. But, I have this nice shiny new car on the showroom and you can pay $5K over MSRP?

H9
  • VR3
    Options
    This is happening in the auto industry right now.

I know of a hand full of people with newer vehicles with problems that require parts with no time line to ever be produced.

The best part is the dealer shafts them on the trade.

It's real.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 15
    Options
    Get used to it. It's not new, it's happening everywhere with nearly all goods, and we're never going back to long lasting quality and years if support and great customer service - not in anything.

How many of we Legend owners paid full retail or only bought on promo? We contribute to the problem when we do this. Worse when we spread that tip to other friends or family who only buy at half off. Can we accept deep discounts like that and expect a company to survive and support the product?

In the future, maybe consider using any purchase savings to immediately stock up on replacement parts, or buy multiple sets so you have a backup. I do this sometimes when I find stuff I like, because I've learned that it's sure to disappear or change.

I get what you are saying about the discounts, but I would submit when they made that offer of huge discounts in exchange for reviews, the decision was already made to slow production. The issue is the mismanagement of the brand back in the early 2000's to present. Polk became the equivalent of Emerson and Fisher. They saturated the mass market with a ton of sub-standard gear, HP computer speakers being the most egregious. The perception became cheap speakers that sound ok, and then the quality issues hit with soundbars and headphones.

Bottom line is when the Legends launched, then the pandemic hit and supply chains fell apart, any hope of there being a renaissance of the brand back into the higher end of audio was doomed. My understanding is that a couple of suppliers in China went under as well, though I do not know that from anyone within the company, but if true, could explain the lack of parts and for low volume as these appear to be, the lack of desire on the part of Polk/Masimo to find alternatives.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,561
    Options
    What good is the warranty if there are no parts in the next 5 years ?

Some guy I know stated this....Great point.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,386
    Options
    The problem ?
    Bean counters with an MBA from Columbia.
    IMO.
    Sal Palooza
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,118
    Options
    ^^^ Awesome: I see what you did.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • msg
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    In this day and age, it'd be wise to plan for planned obsolescence.
    100%. Just another way businesses squeeze money out of consumers without the need to truly innovate or even necessarily add value. In fact, I'd say in many cases, it's about reducing value, yet ramping up marketing gimmickery.

I can't figure out if it's you guys or the people I work with, but I'm becoming cranky and opinionated, and I feel like I'm a perpetually-rolling 2 weeks away from camping out on my porch with a bucket of hammers to throw at speeding cars, people throwing trash out of their windows, and geese crapping all over the place.
    I disabled signatures.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,465
    Options
    I hear you. The older I get the less I beat around the bush and just tell it like it is. If someone doesn't like it, I don't usually care anymore...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • xschop
    Options
    smglbrth wrote: »
    I hear you. The older I get the less I beat around the bush and just tell it like it is. If someone doesn't like it, I don't usually care anymore...

Fortunately, Ive been that way all my life. The real people gravitate and the fakes scurry.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,290
    edited May 16
    Options
    The EU has (or at least, had) some fairly strict requirements for parts and service availability for out of production equipment -- even if the company that produced it has been dissolved. I observed this first-hand in a past life in the case of a small and dysfunctionally chaotic British* company by which I - briefly - was employed.
    I assume these loudspeakers have been sold on the legitimate market in the EU. There must be consideration for parts and support for the EU at least, no? :#