Legend Line being discontinued.......?

Options
124»

Comments

• crazy098
    crazy098 Posts: 27
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Bottom line is when the Legends launched, then the pandemic hit and supply chains fell apart, any hope of there being a renaissance of the brand back into the higher end of audio was doomed. My understanding is that a couple of suppliers in China went under as well, though I do not know that from anyone within the company, but if true, could explain the lack of parts and for low volume as these appear to be, the lack of desire on the part of Polk/Masimo to find alternatives.

To add to this, I have a pair of NAD 2200 PE's that have been refurbished and upgraded by Peter Williams. They were done 2 years apart, one in 2020 and the other in 2022. I'm not an audio engineer so I forget the specific names but he told me that the high end parts he used in my original upgrade were no longer available and I would be getting the last of them in my second amp. He told me he that due to this he had considered charging me more but as I was a previous customer and he had already given me a quote he wanted to honor the original quote.
    Point being that I suspect supply chain issues combined with low sales is the culprit here. Polk COULD find alternative suppliers or charge even more for the Legend series but in the end it would not be cost effective for them. So we, as the consumer, lose.
  • MLK
    MLK Posts: 17
    Options
    If you want to buy Polk products and live in California, buy them after 7/1/2024:
    "California just became the latest state to enact a right to repair law, with Gov. Gavin Newsom signing SB 244 into law in October 2023. The law, known as the Right to Repair Act, requires manufacturers of consumer electronic devices and appliances—from smartphones to dishwashers—to make repair guides, parts and tools for those electronics available to product owners, service and repair facilities, and service dealers. The new law takes effect on July 1, 2024.

Manufacturers of electronics with a wholesale price of $50 to $99.99 must make appropriate parts, tools and documentation—defined terms in section 42488.2(j)[1]—available for three years after the product’s last manufacturing date. For products with a wholesale price of $100 or more, that period increases to seven years. Video game consoles and alarm systems are excluded from the definition of an “electronic or appliance product” and are therefore not covered by the law."

https://www.reinhartlaw.com/news-insights/california-passes-right-to-repair-law-new-rules-for-electronics-repair#:~:text=The law, known as the,repair facilities, and service dealers.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,797
    Options
    How will they enforce that with the chicoms?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,386
    Options
    I can't figure out if it's you guys or the people I work with, but I'm becoming cranky and opinionated.

I hate to point fingers but I think it's another case of Canadian rambunctiousneess causing disturbancea in the Force.
    Can't prove it (yet) but you know they're up to something. 🤔🤫

Sal Palooza
  • MLK
    MLK Posts: 17
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    How will they enforce that with the chicoms?

I have no idea. I am curious on how it plays out though.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,731
    Options
    Speaking of chinacoms and Chinazon, you guys might like this. One of the dudes I work with mentioned this term the other week. It originated with platforms and online services, I believe, but is extending to pretty much every other large business and corp. Good skim, and something I'd like to read up on some more. Squeeze, squeeze, squeeze - invent value where there is non, and squeeze some more. Discard, and repeat. Acquisitions and destruction of healthy competition are likely in there somewhere, too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enshittification

I sheepishly admit that I continue to support Chinazon. Aside from groceries and local hardware store needs, it's pretty much my first and only stop for everything else. My area's just never really supported a lot of the stuff I'm into, and merch and goods have not been readily available, so I started using them back in the mid to late 00s, I think. Years back Amazon really seemed pretty decent. Now they're enshittified, and we A shoppers are pretty much just building China by using it.
    I disabled signatures.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,748
    Options

I sheepishly admit that I continue to support Chinazon. Aside from groceries and local hardware store needs, it's pretty much my first and only stop for everything else. My area's just never really supported a lot of the stuff I'm into, and merch and goods have not been readily available, so I started using them back in the mid to late 00s, I think. Years back Amazon really seemed pretty decent. Now they're enshittified, and we A shoppers are pretty much just building China by using it.

Most the goods sold by local stores are also made in China, so you'd be supporting them even without Amazon.
    Most things just aren't made in the USA anymore.
  • msg
    Options
    You know what I mean though - direct sellers on Amazon.
    I disabled signatures.
  • simm
    simm Posts: 564
    Options
    When I bought my L800’s there was an option to register them online and have the warranty increased to 10 years for them.
  • msg
    Options
    Hey, that's the same warranty thing HVAC manufacturers do!
    I disabled signatures.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,322
    Options
    Occasionally, you find something on Amazon that is actually made in the USA.
    I bought this a couple years back. Better than all the fancy ones.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071OUJDQ?th=1
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,800
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    Occasionally, you find something on Amazon that is actually made in the USA.
    I bought this a couple years back. Better than all the fancy ones.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071OUJDQ?th=1

I have a pair of these, they are built like a tank, and work very good!
  • msg
    Options
    I can really appreciate a nice one of those. I remember struggling with worn out ones. I think I bought my current one in the late 90s. Still using it, though I have to scrub the rust off from time to time, and put in a little oil.
    I disabled signatures.