Polk LSI15

Options
KrazyMofo24
KrazyMofo24 Posts: 1,195
I can get a great deal on purchasing LSI15s.

When I first started getting into audio the 15s were always a pair I wanted but opted for the vienna acoustics Mozart. I generally like a warm sound. Are they worth getting and will they hold their own? I just don’t want to purchase them and just have them sitting around
Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    First off the Vienna Mozarts are a superior speaker to the LSI 15's in every way. They are not the same level of performance by a long shot and the LSI 15's are wonderful speakers, just don't have that lose yourself in the music feeling like the Vienna's can provide especially when positioned correctly in your room. Vienna Acoustics like to be a little wider then what you normally would consider good positioning. I trained in all things Sumiko from their top guy PAT who is a wonderful calibrator.

So take away the Vienna Acoustics out of the picture and enter the LSI 15's. As I said, they are wonderful. I would own them again if I found a pristine pair for a good price. I would also research the Woofer upgrade as many guys in here did that upgrade and noticed a pretty considerable difference in the accuracy of bass reproduction. I never got to to this Upgrade when I owned them as I went Dynaudio after them.

If you can score a pair for a good price, they are not going to out perform the Mozarts BUT they are good enough where you won't want to stick them in a closet and forget that you got them. They have their own involvement in ways that pull you into what you are listening to. They have a really nice balance of sound and it's comfortable. I remember just siting for hours loving life when I had mine. I always wished they made a Maple Finish Model, the Cherry and Ebony finishes they offered where very nice but I wanted Maple as at that moment in my life I was really into Maple.

If you grab them, I'd like to hear your thoughts on them especially coming from the Mozarts, again they are remarkable speakers, the whole line is even the on wall models back then where remarkable where you would build a full system out of them and make a damn killer SACD and Movie experience. When I worked at Tweeter , we sold the hell out of the entire line and the on walls, I forget their model number, I was blown away how damn good they are. Sorry for making a stronger case for Vienna but I worked with them for many years and I hav a very soft spot of them.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • KrazyMofo24
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge on these two speakers. It looks like buying them wouldn’t be a bad option. I love my Mozarts I’m hoping to move up to the Beethovens one day.

The Polk LSI series was the first speakers I wanted that were out of my budget long back.
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

• mantis
    Options
    I'll be curious in reading your thoughts after you get a pair. Good luck.
    Dan
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    I still have a soft spot for the 15s
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mantis
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I still have a soft spot for the 15s

I think most of u who own them or have owned them have a soft spot for them.
    Honestly, back then I thought they where the best over all sounding Polk speakers I have ever heard.
    The LSI7's where remarkable especially as surround speakers or even as a nice small 2 channel system with a sub. I liked them over the LSI9's. I owned them all.
    Dan
  • KrazyMofo24
    Options
    I may purchase them today but there’s a REL B1 for the same price and I keep going back and forth on which one to get
    Setup:

• KrazyMofo24
    Options
    I bought them today but not happy. It looks like the outer part of the tweeter the nipple or part that sticks out. I’m guessing to alter the sound it does seem a little bright.

Is this a normal modification for some people? I paid $300 but now I’ll need to find replacements.
    Setup:

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    I bought them today but not happy. It looks like the outer part of the tweeter the nipple or part that sticks out. I’m guessing to alter the sound it does seem a little bright.

Is this a normal modification for some people? I paid $300 but now I’ll need to find replacements.

You're not making sense.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• KrazyMofo24
    Options
    Sorry about that I rushed writing it last night. I meant to say that the tweeters have been altered. The part of the tweeter that pokes out has been removed on both of them.
    Setup:

• KrazyMofo24
    Options
    w1p67e4us164.jpeg
    Setup:

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    That is definitely not the right tweeter lol

Peerless xt25
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • KrazyMofo24
    edited March 26
    Options
    Yeah I’m in the works of getting a pair of LSI7s and going to swap the tweeters. Going to use the 7s for surround. Shows/movies sound good enough for surrounds. I’ll either go with the parts express or the original for the 7s later down the road.

I learned my lesson and going to be more cautious on purchases.
    Setup:

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Good lord almighty
  • F1nut
    Options
    You should return those speakers.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 602
    Options
    w1p67e4us164.jpeg

I'm sure those sound as bad as they look. Did you not notice that hack job at time of purchase?
  • KrazyMofo24
    edited March 26
    Options
    They sounded worse actually and I wouldn’t have purchased them like that. I was in a hurry to take my daughter to gymnastics right after. The grills were on and he helped loading them up. This is the first time I have had an issue purchasing used.

I was not happy last night and of course he stopped responding. He had them listed for $400 I talked him down to $300. I got extremely lucky to find a pair of LSI 7s for $100. They are also matching ebony. I’m not going to use POS tweeters on the 7s.

Just listened to the 15s again and now they are sounding great.

pcamgqcnnkeh.jpeg
    Setup:

• VR3
    Options
    I mean honestly 300 is pretty good, the tweeters are not to expensive
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mantis
    Options
    If the rest of the speaker is fine, buy new Tweeters, replace them both.

What the hell happened to the original tweeter? That looks like some Cheap car tweeter thing.
    Dan
  • F1nut
    Options
    One cannot buy new LSi tweeters.

President of Club Polk

• KrazyMofo24
    Options
    Everything else is fine and so far things are sounding good.

Thanks for posting a link I saw that there were different versions. I’ll go with this for replacing the LSI7 pair I got today.
    Setup:

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,064
    Options
    $400 bucks for 7’s and 15’s? That seems like deal I’d do even if I knew about the surgically altered tweeter…assuming I knew could get a relatively inexpensive replacement.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ah, good to know Trey.

President of Club Polk

• KrazyMofo24
    Options
    I’m liking the 15s so far, there are some areas that I prefer the Mozarts. When trying out new speakers does it make sense that you need time to get used to the new speakers?
    Setup:

• VR3
    Options
    every speaker is a little colored so for sure, your ears will become accustomed to that sound... so switching from one to another will take an adjustment.

• KrazyMofo24
    Options
    Well the LSI15s were short lived and decided to sell them to pay for other speakers. I'm getting a little lucky finding deals I liked the 15s but I went with a pair of Sonus Faber Concerto for $400. I just hooked them up and going to be testing them out today.
    Setup:

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    Options
    w1p67e4us164.jpeg

animals!
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • KrazyMofo24
    Options
    I guess the guy butchered the wiring too. The guy I sold it to today took apart the woofers and saw that the wiring was modified. Does anyone have a crossover schematic or anyone in the DFW area want to help with fixing the wiring? Here’s the pictures the guy sent me.

bw06q7z5wedv.jpeg
    q79twiyye2j4.jpeg
    dy24nrd7lpiq.jpeg
    amqz4s1013ia.jpeg
    r571dda1dwsn.jpeg
    Setup:

• KrazyMofo24
    Options
    ris75u832ctr.jpeg
    xgppv0iq6msx.jpeg
    Setup:

• VR3
    Options
    Looks like he just cut the tweeter wiring...

Surprised that tweeter didn't blow instantly running full range at higher volumes