what guage wire will amplifier accept in the hole in its binding post

Options

I am planning to bi wire my stereo 2 channel system with 12 gauge wire bare connection. So effectively on the amp side it would mean two 12 gauge wires in a single binding post . Will the hole in the binding post be able to accommodate such a thick wire with bare connections ? I am using a Harman Kardon 3380 stereo receiver

Regards

Gitesh

Best Answers

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,345
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Your best bet (and safest for your gear) would be to get a banana clip and crimp or solder the wires into the banana clip, then insert the banana clip into the post.

Alternatively, you could use a spade if the binding posts are not compatible with banana.

Just get some shrink wrap and ensure that the clip is big enough to accommodate both incoming wires.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Answer ✓
    Options
    gitesh wrote: »
    I am planning to bi wire my stereo 2 channel system with 12 gauge wire bare connection. So effectively on the amp side it would mean two 12 gauge wires in a single binding post . Will the hole in the binding post be able to accommodate such a thick wire with bare connections ? I am using a Harman Kardon 3380 stereo receiver

Regards

Gitesh

Run one pair of speaker cables to the binding posts labeled speaker 1 and another pair of speaker cables to the binding posts labeled speaker 2. Turn on speaker 1 and 2 in the receiver.

BTW, it's banana plug not clip. Banana clips are used by women in their hair.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,510
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It will not effect the amplifier in any way, it doesn't change the speaker's load at all. If you were connecting two pairs of speakers, one pair connected to speaker A and a second pair to speaker B, and ran them together the load would be changed. But, using this connection for a bi-wiring approach doesn't change the load.

Answers

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,345
    Options
    Listen here, Mister....

Before my morning coffee? It's a clip.

After my morning coffee? Plug all day long.

Whoever invented early morning should be shot! That's all I have to say about that.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Dirty rated R thread title. Naughty!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options

Regards

Gitesh

Kinda like two roosters in one hole. Awkward at best.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    Options
    LMAO

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,159
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

Regards

Gitesh

Kinda like two roosters in one hole. Awkward at best.

d130vsk3y1o2.png
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • gitesh
    gitesh Posts: 4
    Options
    @ F1nut. That’s quite insightful. Currently , I have connected my two speaker to speaker 1 - left and right outlets .

While bi wiring . Just to clarify .
    I will connect speaker 1 right channel and speaker 2 right channel in the hk 3380 receiver to the upper and lower (4 binding post) in my right speaker .

Similarly I will connect the speaker 1

and 2 left channels in hk 3380 to the left speaker
  • F1nut
    Options
    Like this.
    e08gku0pmkxp.png

President of Club Polk

• gitesh
    gitesh Posts: 4
    Options
    Ok got it . But will running from both 1 + 2 speakers simultaneously affect the amp and / or speakers adversely ? The amp is HK 3380 80 W per channel driven into both channels at 8 ohm and 100 watt per channel driven into both channels at 4 ohm . The speakers have nominal impedance of 8 ohm and minimum 4 ohm .
  • F1nut
    Options
    You are driving one pair of speakers not 2 completely different pairs of speakers, so no problem.

President of Club Polk